Are you Watching Ancient Aliens?

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
kasjaws

Post by kasjaws »

I am intrigued by the thought that aliens visited earth millions of years ago and interacted with cave people. The “proof” of this supposedly is in the hieroglyphics that show beings that look like space man or have large heads and big eyes. In later times it is theorized that aliens assisted with building the pyramids, with another monuments around the globe that all have strong astrological bearings. This is a fascinating series which has major implications for human civilization if its premises were true. Of course that is the big “IF”.

“If” those premises were true is the big question. The series is laughed at by most scientist and physicists. Historians and anthropologists consider it pseudoscience. So is there any basis for believing the ancient alien theory? Well they certainly try to present a lot of evidence in the series. They look at the stories from the Bible, the Koran, the Dead Sea Scrolls and speculate that the “gods” descending from heaven were really visitations by aliens. They speculate that the “angels” found in so many myths and stories are really aliens. They point to the hieroglyphics that show drawings that appear to be astronauts. They point to the pyramids and ancient monuments around the world as proof that ancient civilizations had assistance in building similar monuments all over the globe.

The series goes so far as to suggest that perhaps we are descendents of aliens. Or perhaps we are hybrids from interbreeding between humans and aliens. They also theorize that the aliens came to earth to mine gold and that we were made to be a slave race and do the labor for them.

Why do these type of theories intrigue us so much? Is just that same question of who are we and where did we come from that so many turn to religion to answer? Is just that others turn to this type of theory to answer those questions?
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I am an avid fan of this theory and watch all the documentry's on Sky but I do not believe the Scientology theory.

My Interest lies more In the area of the ancient Egyptians and weather they had any 'help'.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

Does it occur to anyone to consider what possible motive these hypothetical agents might have had? I can think of none at all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
kasjaws

Post by kasjaws »

Well I agree. And I can't figure out if they did all this where are they now? But I enjoy watching it.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ignoring for a moment whether aliens were involved, just to keep within the bounds of the "rational" and not drive away the sceptics, what think the panel to the view that the Sphinx shows evidence of water damage?

If those vertical fissures are caused by the flow of water then that places the creation of the Sphinx at, at least, 11,000 BC and well before the rise of any known civilisation in the area.

It is clear that the head has been re-modelled - it is way too small to be in proportion to the body. What did it depict before it was changed?

If it was built at or before the end of the last ice age then by whom?

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

A lion, one would have thought. And the pre-Egyptian inhabitants of 12,000 BC or whenever weather conditions say it was constructed. I'm sure it was there long before the pyramid-building civilization rose. What's needed is archaeology picking up other traces of the earlier ones, I expect it'll happen eventually.

Ooh... I found a word. Palaeoclimatological Dating. I expect there's a site for that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1368045 wrote: A lion, one would have thought. And the pre-Egyptian inhabitants of 12,000 BC or whenever weather conditions say it was constructed. I'm sure it was there long before the pyramid-building civilization rose. What's needed is archaeology picking up other traces of the earlier ones, I expect it'll happen eventually. I have been looking at the new venture Into Aerial Archaeology. This series was fascinating.

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Egypt's Lost Cities
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1368045 wrote: A lion, one would have thought. And the pre-Egyptian inhabitants of 12,000 BC or whenever weather conditions say it was constructed. I'm sure it was there long before the pyramid-building civilization rose. What's needed is archaeology picking up other traces of the earlier ones, I expect it'll happen eventually.

I'm quite happy with it being the pre-Egyptian inhabitants whoever they may have been but such massive constructions do not appear out of no-where and the Sphinx appears to stand alone as a surviving megalith of that period.

Given that it's ground level is so much lower than that of the pyramids do you imagine that any contemporary structures are still below the sands, waiting to be discovered?
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1368047 wrote: Given that it's ground level is so much lower than that of the pyramids do you imagine that any contemporary structures are still below the sands, waiting to be discovered?

You've got a Hoover. Destiny awaits, go for it.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1368050 wrote: You've got a Hoover. Destiny awaits, go for it.

Henry is not a hoover, he's a Tibetan Terrier and even he would struggle to shift that much sand!

Anyroadup, he's not ours - we've only borrowed him whilst our daughter's on holiday.

Attached files
spot

Post by spot »

If you stuck a prong through that and put bearings at either end you'd have a prayer wheel.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1368043 wrote: Ignoring for a moment whether aliens were involved, just to keep within the bounds of the "rational" and not drive away the sceptics, what think the panel to the view that the Sphinx shows evidence of water damage?

If those vertical fissures are caused by the flow of water then that places the creation of the Sphinx at, at least, 11,000 BC and well before the rise of any known civilisation in the area.

It is clear that the head has been re-modelled - it is way too small to be in proportion to the body. What did it depict before it was changed?

If it was built at or before the end of the last ice age then by whom?

The desert was not always desert within living memory it has been growing due to over farming and deforestation as well as climate change. Even in the UK there are vast areas where once fertile land os only fit for moorland for the same reasons.

The water hasn't all gone, there are vast underground aquifers underneath.

Nubian Sandstone Aquifer System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Libya's Qaddafi taps 'fossil water' to irrigate desert farms - CSMonitor.com

Sahara can become green again

The bulk of the word's population lives along the coast and beside rivers you saw the effect of the Japanese tsunami imagine the loss of life of they had not had any warning it was coming. The flood legends are not just confined to the Mediterranean. More to the point it would take out the most advanced civilisations leaving survivors with no way of explaining what had happened it would indeed have felt like the end of the world and the wrath of god. Even today we still have people who see natural disaster as a sign from god or punishment for past sins even in advances countries like the USA. Think of Pompeii, a legend no one believed till they dug it up again. They probably thought the gods had it in for them as well.

Our ancestors were every bit as intelligent as we are. To suggest they would not be able to build the pyramids denigrates our own species. Apart from that there is no sign in our DNA of alien beings it all seems to come from this planet.

I used to quite like the Von Daniken books when I was younger then when I started doing my own research I realised what a load of rubbish they were.

There are buried cities on the floor of the mediterranean, off the coast of India - one of the archeologists that found them did so by reading ancient texts and also Greek texts from the time of alexander and was wondering what if the sea level had been lower. Unsurprisingly the local fisherman knew where they were because they kept losing nets on them but no one asked them because they were ignorant fishermen and what would they know. You can dive down and loom, at the ones near Malta.

You don't need space aliens to explain things our ancestors were capable of just credit them with some common sense.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1368077 wrote: The desert was not always desert within living memory it has been growing due to over farming and deforestation as well as climate change. Even in the UK there are vast areas where once fertile land os only fit for moorland for the same reasons.

The water hasn't all gone, there are vast underground aquifers underneath.

Nubian Sandstone Aquifer System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Libya's Qaddafi taps 'fossil water' to irrigate desert farms - CSMonitor.com

Sahara can become green again

The bulk of the word's population lives along the coast and beside rivers you saw the effect of the Japanese tsunami imagine the loss of life of they had not had any warning it was coming. The flood legends are not just confined to the Mediterranean. More to the point it would take out the most advanced civilisations leaving survivors with no way of explaining what had happened it would indeed have felt like the end of the world and the wrath of god. Even today we still have people who see natural disaster as a sign from god or punishment for past sins even in advances countries like the USA. Think of Pompeii, a legend no one believed till they dug it up again. They probably thought the gods had it in for them as well.

Our ancestors were every bit as intelligent as we are. To suggest they would not be able to build the pyramids denigrates our own species. Apart from that there is no sign in our DNA of alien beings it all seems to come from this planet.

I used to quite like the Von Daniken books when I was younger then when I started doing my own research I realised what a load of rubbish they were.

There are buried cities on the floor of the mediterranean, off the coast of India - one of the archeologists that found them did so by reading ancient texts and also Greek texts from the time of alexander and was wondering what if the sea level had been lower. Unsurprisingly the local fisherman knew where they were because they kept losing nets on them but no one asked them because they were ignorant fishermen and what would they know. You can dive down and loom, at the ones near Malta.

You don't need space aliens to explain things our ancestors were capable of just credit them with some common sense.

I agree with everything you say here and I personally do not place any credence in any theory involving alien intervention, however, I do think that "within living memory" might be stretching it some as the last point at which the climate in that area had enough rainfall to produce water erosion of that type is supposed to be shortly after the end of the last ice age.

Given that there was no known civilisation in that area at that time and that there are no other comparable structures dated to that period I thought it would be interesting to see whether people thought it likely to be an unknown civilisation or an error in dating (not water damage or climate wetter later maybe?).

Your idea of linking it to the flood I like. Given the suggestion that the rising sea levels at the end of the ice age broke down a land barrier at the Pillars of Hercules and flooded the Mediterranean basin it would tie in nicely with a lost civilisation of megalith builders disappearing so completely we now know nothing of them at all. That it would take them several thousand years to regroup after such a catastrophe is also reasonable.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1368098 wrote: I agree with everything you say here and I personally do not place any credence in any theory involving alien intervention, however, I do think that "within living memory" might be stretching it some as the last point at which the climate in that area had enough rainfall to produce water erosion of that type is supposed to be shortly after the end of the last ice age.

Given that there was no known civilisation in that area at that time and that there are no other comparable structures dated to that period I thought it would be interesting to see whether people thought it likely to be an unknown civilisation or an error in dating (not water damage or climate wetter later maybe?).

Your idea of linking it to the flood I like. Given the suggestion that the rising sea levels at the end of the ice age broke down a land barrier at the Pillars of Hercules and flooded the Mediterranean basin it would tie in nicely with a lost civilisation of megalith builders disappearing so completely we now know nothing of them at all. That it would take them several thousand years to regroup after such a catastrophe is also reasonable.

Perhaps I phrased it badly and should have said the desertification process is still going on due to over farming and deforestation as well as climate change. There are those alive who have noticed the difference. That's partly what's causing the famines in africa. It also affect chine and the US - once the

Deforestation causes erosion and flooding. Reforestation can prevent erosion and flooding

UNCCD - United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification

Atlantis in the Andes 1 of 5 - YouTube

Groundwater depletion, USGS water science

It's a problem that will get worse.

City Under the Sea | Hare Krishna Community
spot

Post by spot »

But you're spreading far beyond the microclimate of the Nile valley in Egypt. The rainfall there is very specific and has been inadequate to weather the Sphinx for the whole of the last ten thousand years to the extent that it can be seen to have weathered.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The sphinx is made of various grades of limestone which is hardly the most durable of stone. Catch 22 if it is soft enough to carve with primitive tools it is soft enough to erode. It's not just water that causes erosion but also wind and quarrying activity. The lime was formed by a receding sea, hence the appearance of sedimentary layers. You can see examples of similar sedimentary rock in the UK. What is remarkable is that it has lasted as long as it has.

Geology of the Sphinx « Ancient Egypt Research Associates

The weather has changed rather a lot over the last 10,000 years.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1368135 wrote: The sphinx is made of various grades of limestone which is hardly the most durable of stone. Catch 22 if it is soft enough to carve with primitive tools it is soft enough to erode. It's not just water that causes erosion but also wind and quarrying activity. The lime was formed by a receding sea, hence the appearance of sedimentary layers. You can see examples of similar sedimentary rock in the UK. What is remarkable is that it has lasted as long as it has.

Wind (and the blown sand it carries) would erode the rock in a totally different pattern to that seen as would a receeding sea (which would only erode the "top" surface of the rock, not the quarried surfaces). The pattern of erosion on the Sphinx is as of rainwater runnoff.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1368135 wrote: The sphinx is made of various grades of limestone which is hardly the most durable of stone. Catch 22 if it is soft enough to carve with primitive tools it is soft enough to erode. It's not just water that causes erosion but also wind and quarrying activity. The lime was formed by a receding sea, hence the appearance of sedimentary layers. You can see examples of similar sedimentary rock in the UK. What is remarkable is that it has lasted as long as it has.

OK, I've just come across the second sheet from the link you provided and it certainly makes interesting reading - maybe this one needs to go back for a re-think.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Quick search

Strachur and District Community, Cowal, Argyll, Scotland - Sedimentary rocks

It's not just egyptians that get the urge to carve statues on hills.

Mount Rushmore - Shrine Of Democracy - South Dakota Tourism

Return to “General TV Shows”