People... why I have no faith in society

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
koan

Post by koan »

I get annoyed by simple things. I work in postal services. A woman handed me her mail and insisted on standing there watching until they were put in the mail bin. This happens quite often. I have the urge to make those people wait a half hour or so before they can leave. Why? A minimum of three other people will handle that mail after me... if it's local. Mine is the only face that woman will see. Mine is the only face that woman will blame if it doesn't reach its destination. Logic implies I'm the only one of four she can trust.

She votes.

We want a better world but we believe it starts somewhere else.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's not you who have no faith in society it's them. I always think those who believe or assume someone will try and rip them off, not do the jobs they are being paid to do or take advantage think that way because that is what they will do given an opportunity to do so. Don't let it bother you they're the ones with the problem. They probably stand watching after they flush the toilet just to be sure it really works.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

koan;1378090 wrote: I get annoyed by simple things. I work in postal services. A woman handed me her mail and insisted on standing there watching until they were put in the mail bin. This happens quite often. I have the urge to make those people wait a half hour or so before they can leave. Why? A minimum of three other people will handle that mail after me... if it's local. Mine is the only face that woman will see. Mine is the only face that woman will blame if it doesn't reach its destination. Logic implies I'm the only one of four she can trust.

She votes.

Why have the urge to make them wait half an hour or so? That's just adding to the poor Image they already have of your Industry.

Why not treat these people with efficiency and professionalism thus reaffirming their trust In your Industry?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

koan;1378090 wrote: I get annoyed by simple things. I work in postal services. A woman handed me her mail and insisted on standing there watching until they were put in the mail bin. This happens quite often. I have the urge to make those people wait a half hour or so before they can leave. Why? A minimum of three other people will handle that mail after me... if it's local. Mine is the only face that woman will see. Mine is the only face that woman will blame if it doesn't reach its destination. Logic implies I'm the only one of four she can trust.

She votes.

We want a better world but we believe it starts somewhere else.I've done it on occasion, it's a comfort thing for me. I hand deliver my property tax bill to the post office on the day it needs to be postmarked and I ask the clerk to postmark it while I'm there. Even if the envelope is lost, it may eventually turn up late and have the postmark on it which would prove it was indeed sent on time.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I understand if that helps any without any more explanation than that.
koan

Post by koan »

oscar;1378156 wrote: Why have the urge to make them wait half an hour or so? That's just adding to the poor Image they already have of your Industry.

Why not treat these people with efficiency and professionalism thus reaffirming their trust In your Industry?
Because I'm always efficient. If their mail isn't put directly into the box it's because I'm fielding parcel drop offs, pick ups, photocopier psychopaths, folks who just need to ask a question so they won't line up, and replacing the stamp roll in my supply tray with a 20 person line up behind them and, usually the ones who insist on waiting and holding everyone up also put random stamps on letters they knew needed more postage so calculating how to make a bag full of wrongly posted letter mail takes a hell of a lot longer than them keeping their stupid 12 cent stamps from 1932 for a parcel and acting like a reasonable adult.

Does that cover it?
koan

Post by koan »

Had a thrilling 10 minutes when our local AA Grumpy laid into another customer in a rant that could be heard around the store about what a moron he was because he asked to buy US stamps in a Canadian post office. I couldn't even interrupt him because, once he started his rant he became incapable of hearing what anyone was saying to him. So "That's really unnecessary and disruptive," had no effect.

Generationally speaking, this gentleman is about 70 and this is his third disruptive rant in the last month and all his rants include insults about the younger generations.
gmc

Post by gmc »

koan;1378204 wrote: Had a thrilling 10 minutes when our local AA Grumpy laid into another customer in a rant that could be heard around the store about what a moron he was because he asked to buy US stamps in a Canadian post office. I couldn't even interrupt him because, once he started his rant he became incapable of hearing what anyone was saying to him. So "That's really unnecessary and disruptive," had no effect.

Generationally speaking, this gentleman is about 70 and this is his third disruptive rant in the last month and all his rants include insults about the younger generations.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflYou must admit he does rather have a point
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

koan;1378203 wrote: Because I'm always efficient. If their mail isn't put directly into the box it's because I'm fielding parcel drop offs, pick ups, photocopier psychopaths, folks who just need to ask a question so they won't line up, and replacing the stamp roll in my supply tray with a 20 person line up behind them and, usually the ones who insist on waiting and holding everyone up also put random stamps on letters they knew needed more postage so calculating how to make a bag full of wrongly posted letter mail takes a hell of a lot longer than them keeping their stupid 12 cent stamps from 1932 for a parcel and acting like a reasonable adult.

Does that cover it?

And breathe
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

Post by koan »

oscar;1378267 wrote: And breathe

Yep. I took a breath before telling a 60 yr old tart who pushed in front of a huge lineup with a shopping cart, demanding I sell her stamps, that she was welcome to shake her booty to the end of the line like everyone else...

Let me assure you, the folks who really shouldn't be standing in line for health reasons are usually the most quiet about it. This staunch beast, with her red coat and matching lipstick could probably beat me in a 100 yard dash for the sale on kleenex.
Adstar

Post by Adstar »

She votes.

She has probably experienced the loss of mail before. People react the worst if they formerly had an idealistic trust in the system. When an idealist’s trust is broken they become the most bitter and resentful. Best thing is to have a realistic view of humanity and realise it is faulty from the beginning. That way when people let ket you down you can be disappointed without getting bitter.

So it is good to have no faith in society at the very start. That way when things turn out well and someone has served you well you can be pleasantly surprised. But when things go wrong and someone steals your mail you can say, Oh well such is life and send another letter.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
Adstar

Post by Adstar »

koan;1378204 wrote: Had a thrilling 10 minutes when our local AA Grumpy laid into another customer in a rant that could be heard around the store about what a moron he was because he asked to buy US stamps in a Canadian post office. I couldn't even interrupt him because, once he started his rant he became incapable of hearing what anyone was saying to him. So "That's really unnecessary and disruptive," had no effect.

LOL sounds like an old flower power idealist from the 60's. Who found out the world was not going to come together is a big hand in hand circle love fest.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Return to “General Chit Chat”