I wonder why....

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

I wonder why....

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Is there something that you see In life where there Is never one reasonable, rational answer as to why ?

Do you ponder these things as I sometime's do but fail to find the answer?

Mine Is this :

Why Is It that whenever I am on a Motorway, doesn't matter which one or what direction I'm going In.... In the middle of the road, on the side of the verge or even hanging from a tree, there will be one shoe. Never a pair of shoes, just one.

As I drive past the lone shoe, I find myself scanning the road and verge wondering where the other one Is but I never see one.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

I wonder why....

Here's another one...

When I am going along the road In my car and someone has already started to cross the road ahead of me, why do they do that little half hearted skip and hop as If to show they are making an effort but In fact haven't Increased their pace one Iota ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

I wonder why....

Post by tabby »

There was a fad here a few years ago and it may in fact still be around although I see less of it these days where young people would tie two shoes' laces together and try to fling them over everything from traffic lights to telephone wires. It was a common sight to be driving somewhere and see 2 sneakers dangling & swinging in the breeze.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I wonder why....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1380617 wrote: There was a fad here a few years ago and it may in fact still be around although I see less of it these days where young people would tie two shoes' laces together and try to fling them over everything from traffic lights to telephone wires. It was a common sight to be driving somewhere and see 2 sneakers dangling & swinging in the breeze.

Pity the poor sods they'd nicked them from :-(
CARLA

I wonder why....

Post by CARLA »

There is a myth, or maybe not a myth that if you see a pair or single tennis shoe thrown over a powerline its a signal to druggies or buyer that there is one in the neighborhood, or if you are a dealer it is telling you to move on. ???? :-3
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I wonder why....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

CARLA;1380758 wrote: There is a myth, or maybe not a myth that if you see a pair or single tennis shoe thrown over a powerline its a signal to druggies or buyer that there is one in the neighborhood, or if you are a dealer it is telling you to move on. ???? :-3

I think you live in a different world to me :-(

(or maybe I'm just naive?)
tabby

I wonder why....

Post by tabby »

Carla, I had never heard that about it having meaning, gang or otherwise, and I just assumed it was some innocent fad. I just did a search and found this on Snopes: snopes.com: Sneakers on Power Lines

I've seen them in the oddest places, such as on a traffic sign of the type that hang over interstates. It would have to be like a shoe version of a drive by shooting ... a drive by shoe slinging! Sneakers or tennis shoes do seem to be the shoe of choice.
Lady J

I wonder why....

Post by Lady J »

tabby;1380763 wrote: Carla, I had never heard that about it having meaning, gang or otherwise, and I just assumed it was some innocent fad. I just did a search and found this on Snopes: snopes.com: Sneakers on Power Lines

I've seen them in the oddest places, such as on a traffic sign of the type that hang over interstates. It would have to be like a shoe version of a drive by shooting ... a drive by shoe slinging! Sneakers or tennis shoes do seem to be the shoe of choice.

Just learned a few things with the link! Thank you Tabby...and Oscar.....thanks for bringing this up!

Lady J
jones jones

I wonder why....

Post by jones jones »

I have never been able to figure out why a motorist will always wait until I am almost at the intersection before they pull out in front of me.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I wonder why....

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1380779 wrote: I have never been able to figure out why a motorist will always wait until I am almost at the intersection before they pull out in front of me.

The thrill - not knowing whether two seconds up the line you'll be sitting in a mangled wreck of a car. How can you live without that sort of excitement?
jones jones

I wonder why....

Post by jones jones »

Bryn Mawr;1380783 wrote: The thrill - not knowing whether two seconds up the line you'll be sitting in a mangled wreck of a car. How can you live without that sort of excitement?

Ah I get it! So its a game of chicken then!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

I wonder why....

Apparently I am not alone In asking this question

One shoe or Boot on motorways? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

That reminds me........... The next time you see a teenager In the UK with his trousers under his hips because he thinks It's cool....... Watch the look on his face as you explain to him that this so called trend began In the US prisons. Convicts would wear their pants low to show other In mates that he was up for some bum fun. The lower down he wore his pants, the more deviant bum fun he wanted.
tabby

I wonder why....

Post by tabby »

I ran across this article today and thought I'd update with their thoughts on the subject!

Shoefiti: The Myths and Mysteries of Shoes on Power Lines
AnneBoleyn

I wonder why....

Post by AnneBoleyn »

What an interesting site tabby, thanks!

Return to “General Chit Chat”