giraffes killed for sport the AA grumpy column

the grumps

Post by the grumps »

hello and welcome to a rather sombre start to 2012 and a shocking story to start the new year.

A FAMILY poses for a happy holiday snap - standing proudly beside the giraffe they have just shot dead for sport.

Tourists like these are paying tens of thousands of pounds to legally hunt giraffe, the elegant, gentle giants of the animal kingdom.

Many take the animals' heads home as a sick trophy of their African "adventure".

Giraffe expert Dr Julian Fennessey said: "Some come from Britain but the big majority are from North America, Germany, Russia and Scandinavia.

"Some hunters just like to have photos taken next to the dead giraffe.

"But others pay taxidermists to mount the head so they can take them home as a souvenir. Or they might want to take the skin."

The hunters pay up to £10,000 for the giraffe-hunting expeditions, which target the larger males.

Safari clubs and game reserves ask for a £1,500 trophy fee and add £1,000 a day for guides and trackers.

The giraffe population has nearly halved since 1988 — falling from more than 140,000 to fewer than 80,000.

They are now thought to be extinct in places such as Angola, Mali and Nigeria.

But in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe it is still legal to hunt them.

Joe Duckworth, of The League Against Cruel Sports, said: "It is immensely selfish to kill these animals.

"It beggars belief some people find it acceptable to kill them to have their picture with the dead animal."

But the owner of one South African hunting firm, who refused to be named, defended the killings.

The boss said: "These are legal hunts, by professionals on private land.

"There will always be emotion from people who are not hunters when they see dead animals, but these are very regulated practises. Rhino and other animals have been saved through conservation and the most money for conservation is generated from hunting."

Dr Fennessy, of the Giraffe Conservation Foundation, has controversially argued in favour of hunting.

He said: "In the countries where you can hunt legally, the populations are increasing but across Africa the numbers are dropping.

"It shows that if properly managed, the hunting can be sustainable."

Giraffes gunned down for family holiday 'fun' | The Sun |News

AAG

in one word ...... DIABOLICAL :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mixed feelings myself.

All the time someone is willing to pay to shoot them, and they are managed, they will never become extinct.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

And why the HELL would anyone want to shoot a giraffe?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

This is sad....to hunt an innocent mammal and pay to hunt it just for an image with it; in my opinion this is disgusting. Giraffes have been around a long time and what harm have they caused us? Do they attack our children and live stock? No!

"The first giraffe in Rome was imported by Julius Caesar in 46 BC and exhibited to the public. With the fall of the Roman Empire, housing of giraffes in Europe declined. During the Middle Ages, giraffes were mostly forgotten by Europeans, except in legends from Arab travelers. Arab prophets and poets considered the giraffe the "queen of beasts" for what they saw as its delicate features and fragile form. Eastern sultans prized them as special pets." from Wikipedia....

I don't get it...reckon the human race is not all that humane.

Humans (known taxonomically as Homo sapiens, Latin for "wise man" or "knowing man") are the only living species in the Homo genus.

"Humans have a highly developed brain and are capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and problem solving. This mental capability, combined with an erect body carriage that frees the hands for manipulating objects, has allowed humans to make far greater use of tools than any other living species on Earth. Other higher-level thought processes of humans, such as self-awareness, rationality, and sapience, are considered to be defining features of what constitutes a "person"."

again from Widipedia which as Koan said will be blacked out to protest SOPA and PIPA.

how highly developed are some of our brains, how can we be titled to be "wise man "when we kill innocent wide life for the sake of sport?

sigh...I wonder.

Lady J

:confused:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I think killing an animal for sport, without the intention to consume the meat, is horrible and tasteless...

Yet if one killed an animal to consume the meat I also feel like I don't have any room to judge, even if it's an animal I tend to respect...I suppose that's all relative as well, which is a very good reason why I feel that way
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1381465 wrote: And why the HELL would anyone want to shoot a giraffe?Size of the trophy mounted on his/her wall?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1381465 wrote: And why the HELL would anyone want to shoot a giraffe?The same reason they'd want to shoot any other animal?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I'd say this was far more supportable than farming. The income from managed hunting goes toward the continued provision of the national parks, the lack of balance against natural predators means the alternative to managed hunting is unprofitable culling - where's the downside?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

There's no downside? That's the general consensus?

I'm surprised.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I suppose it makes sense. The predators have been hunted so ruthlessly that they're not really part of the ecological equation any longer so these human "hunters" get to fill in the gap. Clever... eliminate the competition and get to have a decapitated head mounted on your wall. What could be better?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1381961 wrote: I suppose it makes sense. The predators have been hunted so ruthlessly that they're not really part of the ecological equation any longer so these human "hunters" get to fill in the gap. Clever... eliminate the competition and get to have a decapitated head mounted on your wall. What could be better?

A decapitated head mounted, never thought of it that way. At least they are now immortalized in some way. I think I'll tell my boys that they have permission to have my decapitated head mounted so that I will never be forgotten.:thinking::-2

Wow, have you noticed that smileys are kind of like decapitated heads?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

They're more like floating heads. Entirely different than a decapitated head, there was never a body attached. Sheesh, I can't believe I have to explain this to you!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1382025 wrote: They're more like floating heads. Entirely different than a decapitated head, there was never a body attached. Sheesh, I can't believe I have to explain this to you!

I'm still not sure if they (smilies) want to be in my posts or if I'm making them slaves to my posts.:-3
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

That's a good point. Perhaps Ahso will pop in and share his wisdom on this rather touchy subject.
theia

Post by theia »

YZGI;1382038 wrote: I'm still not sure if they (smilies) want to be in my posts or if I'm making them slaves to my posts.:-3

smilies have all the control, we have none
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Return to “Conservation The Environment”