Clueless member needs info on MP3 players

Wild Fire

Post by Wild Fire »

I am in the market for some type of portable music-playing device. I know exactly NOTHING about what they cost, the different types of gadgets out there, how to run one, how to load music onto one....nothing.

I will be looking for something very simple to use, (I'm pretty thick about this kind of thing) but holds a lot of music, as I have very eclectic taste in music.

Any information of any sort than anyone can give me would be appreciated. I'm hoping not to have to spend more than $200, but for the right product, I can come up a bit on that.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Do you own a smartphone?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wild Fire

Post by Wild Fire »

Ahso!;1395564 wrote: Do you own a smartphone?

I do not.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Wild Fire;1395570 wrote: I do not.Do you use cell phone services and by any chance planning to upgrade in the near future? Smartphones come with what you're looking for and It would be a shame to see you spend money on a feature that you may end up with anyway.

In any case, for mp3 players I'd get something in a name brand and buy it through Walmart in case you need to return the thing. The kids working in the electronics department can direct you as well as anyone here and you can probably try it out in the store.

Good luck!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wild Fire

Post by Wild Fire »

I use T-Mobile for my carrier and just got an upgraded phone. It is very basic since I have a hard time using, let alone understanding all the features and bells and whistles. So no, I don't plan to get a new phone anytime soon.

I do like Walmart for lots of things so I will definitely check there. Any reason to avoid Best Buy as one of my shopping trips?
spot

Post by spot »

We need clarification - can you give a number or range for "a lot of music" please.

In what format is your current music? If it's on CD then you might "rip" it (rip is a technical term for music copying from an optical disc) to mp3 files on your PC using a freeware ripper. Any mp3 file on your PC can be transferred to an mp3 player, often with a USB cable and Windows Explorer.

You might expect to spend $30 for an mp3 player able to hold the tracks of 400 ripped CDs. Spending more can take you toward 10,000 CDs. Buying the music as online mp3 files will cost you a great deal more than the mp3 player, it's why ripping what you already own is the way to at least explore first.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wild Fire

Post by Wild Fire »

Hi Spot!

I understand how music libraries are "measured" these days with X number of hours available on a device. Not knowing how many hours the hard copies of my music would equal, the best I can do it tell you that I have about 225 CD's, almost all of which I would like to download to the MP3 player. Then there are about 60 more albums I would like to have. There is a lot of current music out there that I haven't bought as a CD since I'm going to be purchasing the MP3 player. If I understand you correctly, I should go ahead and buy those CD's anyway and rip them instead of searching for them on the internet and getting them from there.

Am I following you?
spot

Post by spot »

Yes, that all sounds pretty exact. You can carry the tracks of all 225+65=300 CDs on a 16GB mp3 player. An example, though it's not a recommendation and it's on eBay UK, would be one like this though of course sellers will charge you as much as you want to pay. That one's $30.

As for choosing a ripper, I've used CDex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and been happy with the results.

When you need to ask about titling tracks and artists and albums consistently across your whole collection, take a look at Mp3tag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - if you don't do that you'll have a scrappy index.

The trouble with buying tracks or albums as download files off the Internet is they carry Digital Rights Management restrictions on which devices you can play them from. Releasing the files from an old player in order to move them to your next piece of hardware is a practical nightmare, I'd imagine. I've never tried. Home-ripped files from your owned CDs carry no such limitations.

eta: as a rough guide, one CD is rarely less than 60 minutes and more usually between that and an upper limit of 80 minutes. I'd call it an hour a CD, near enough. 20 CDs (again very roughly) fit into 1GB.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wild Fire

Post by Wild Fire »

That is a lot of great information, Spot. I thank you for your help and I'm a bit more confident going into a store to purchase one. I've got a little more reading to do with the links you provided. I really appreciate you taking the time! :yh_peace

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”