Deviled Eggs

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Deviled Eggs

Post by tabby »

I love deviled eggs or at least as my mother used to make them and as far as I can tell she simply mixed the egg yolk, pickle relish and mayonnaise and sprinkled them with paprika. I saw a recipe on a calender a few years back that included Thousand Island dressing.

What ingredients do you add to yours?

Am I the only deviled egg fanatic here??

YZGI

Deviled Eggs

Post by YZGI »

I love them. My dad makes the best. I sprinkle them with cayenne pepper. MMmm gooood.
K.Snyder

Deviled Eggs

Post by K.Snyder »

I love my mother's deviled eggs and the only time I eat them is when she makes them for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They're very simple with the very typical ingredients found in the typical household (in the US of course). She is one of those individuals who can make a fantastic dish out of very simple ingredients. Her deviled eggs consist of Miracle whip(Which I do not usually prefer due to its sweetness but love it in her deviled eggs), mustard(Mayo to mustard I'd say is roughly 5:1), onion, celery, and paprika.

She makes her chicken salad the same way(Although she adds celery seed), although I prefer the regular mayo in it.

Because I don't eat them, other than Thanksgiving and Christmas, I tend to think of them as a delicacy in this regard.
Snooz

Deviled Eggs

Post by Snooz »

I love eggs in any form. Lots of mayo, please.
Oscar Namechange

Deviled Eggs

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My Mother made eggs In a rich cheese sauce sprinkled with heaps of Paprika and cayenne pepper, then put under the grill to brown..... nom nom
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Deviled Eggs

Post by along-for-the-ride »

You guyz :wah:

I just had the urge to make me an egg salad sandwich...which is exactly what I am doing right now.....boiling a couple eggs.

I like your avatar, tabby. :)

I also enjoy deviled eggs.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Deviled Eggs

Post by tabby »

So it's not just me! Like K.Snyder, we only had them on holidays so there's an element of anticipation for them starting around this time of year. Yum!

I'm glad you like my avatar, AFTR! It's a tough decision when it's time to change one ... it feels like an online version of standing at the closet looking at all the clothes and trying to decide what to wear! The men here probably wouldn't understand! :yh_wink
flopstock

Deviled Eggs

Post by flopstock »

I love deviled eggs. The only time I get them now is at the pot lucks at work, as I use egg beaters for home cooking htese days..:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Deviled Eggs

Post by YZGI »

along-for-the-ride;1409653 wrote: You guyz :wah:

I just had the urge to make me an egg salad sandwich...which is exactly what I am doing right now.....boiling a couple eggs.

I like your avatar, tabby. :)

I also enjoy deviled eggs.

May I have your recipe? Always looking for a good egg salad recipe.
Oscar Namechange

Deviled Eggs

YZGI;1409866 wrote: May I have your recipe? Always looking for a good egg salad recipe.

Have you tried this:

Chopped eggs

Garlic mayo

Chopped Celery

Fresh chopped Dill

Chopped pickles or capers.

Paprika
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
YZGI

Deviled Eggs

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1409870 wrote: Have you tried this:

Chopped eggs

Garlic mayo

Chopped Celery

Fresh chopped Dill

Chopped pickles or capers.

Paprika

Pretty close to what I do. Since my wife doesn't like it I have to make my own. It never seems to be as good as I remember my Grandmothers, so I try to get others to try. I use regular mayo with garlic powder. I wonder if the garlic mayo might give it a different taste.
Oscar Namechange

Deviled Eggs

YZGI;1409871 wrote: Pretty close to what I do. Since my wife doesn't like it I have to make my own. It never seems to be as good as I remember my Grandmothers, so I try to get others to try. I use regular mayo with garlic powder. I wonder if the garlic mayo might give it a different taste. I would never use garlic powder... either fresh crushed or garlic mayo... It may be the difference.
YZGI

Deviled Eggs

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1409873 wrote: I would never use garlic powder... either fresh crushed or garlic mayo... It may be the difference.

You might be right. I shall see.
Oscar Namechange

Deviled Eggs

YZGI;1409874 wrote: You might be right. I shall see. Did your Grand Ma make her own Mayo ? could be that also. It's really very simple to make
YZGI

Deviled Eggs

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1409878 wrote: Did your Grand Ma make her own Mayo ? could be that also. It's really very simple to make

Thats just it. No one knows. It could just be the nostalgia factor also.

Return to “The Kitchen”