Rand Paul Filibuster of CIA Director Nomination

Discuss the latest political news.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

CSPAN2 is showing the first real filibuster in years. Not the bullshit they've been calling a filibuster that doesn't even require anybody to speak, but a real one. Rand Paul has been on the floor for hours now. I don't know what time he started. He's speaking against the WH not revealing their policy on domestic drone strikes or what they believe their authority is regarding domestic drone strikes on American citizens.

Live Video - C-SPAN2 | C-SPAN
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Accountable;1422228 wrote: CSPAN2 is showing the first real filibuster in years. Not the bullshit they've been calling a filibuster that doesn't even require anybody to speak, but a real one. Rand Paul has been on the floor for hours now. I don't know what time he started. He's speaking against the WH not revealing their policy on domestic drone strikes or what they believe their authority is regarding domestic drone strikes on American citizens.

It even made the news over here :-

Rand Paul anti-drone filibuster draws stinging criticism from Republicans | World news | guardian.co.uk
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Quoting extensively from a Wall Street Journal editorial that mocked Paul, McCain also argued that Paul had belittled the growing use of drones to kill terrorism suspects by invoking the name of Jane Fonda and suggesting a drone could have killed her when she was a Vietnam War protester.

Paul took to the floor Wednesday for nearly 13 hours, hoping to pressure the White House to declare whether or not it might use a drone to strike an American citizen in the United States.

McCain, a former Vietnam prisoner of war, was not impressed.

"I watched some of that, quote, debate, unquote, yesterday," McCain said. "I saw colleagues who know better come to the floor and voice some of this same concern, which is totally unfounded.

Rand Paul's Filibuster Belittled By John McCain As 'Simply False'
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Bryn Mawr;1422270 wrote: It even made the news over here :-

Rand Paul anti-drone filibuster draws stinging criticism from Republicans | World news | guardian.co.uk
From Bryn's link:The pushback came after what had begun as a lone protest in an almost empty chamber just before noon on Wednesday eventually galvanised a broad swath of the Republican party to rally to Paul's cause. It also brought in the support of a lone Democrat – Ron Wyden of Oregon – and provoked a huge outpouring of enthusiasm on Twitter from a broad range of conservatives, libertarians and liberals – all citing a threat to civil rights.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1422281 wrote: Rand Paul's Filibuster Belittled By John McCain As 'Simply False'
Interesting how the progressives toss their pretense of opposing each other when their scheme to centralize all power in Washington is threatened. Progressive Republocrats unite!

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

McCain needs to retire.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1422291 wrote: McCain needs to retire.

Everybody who has been in there over 2 terms needs to retire.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Without retirement.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1422293 wrote: Without retirement.

Agreed, if they haven't filled their pockets by screwing the public in 2 terms, they aren't smart enough to serve anyways.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Accountable;1422228 wrote: CSPAN2 is showing the first real filibuster in years. Not the bullshit they've been calling a filibuster that doesn't even require anybody to speak, but a real one. Rand Paul has been on the floor for hours now. I don't know what time he started. He's speaking against the WH not revealing their policy on domestic drone strikes or what they believe their authority is regarding domestic drone strikes on American citizens.

OK, the guy got his name in the news. It was all symbolic, at best a reminder of what our Republic is all about.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

A good reminder, yes. That's important.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Walking over the Constitution - The Washington Post

A little cartoon for ya.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I can't believe the Eugene Robinson is supporting Rand Paul against his Prophet Obama, but here it is:

Holder wrote that “the U.S. government has not carried out drone strikes in the United States and has no intention of doing so. As a policy matter, moreover, we reject the use of military force where well-established law enforcement authorities in this country provide the best means for incapacitating a terrorist threat.”

But Holder added that there might be an “extraordinary circumstance” in which a president would “authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States.”

Paul believed — and I had to agree — that this left the door ajar. Citizens are guaranteed the right to due process by the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. This doesn’t mean that a police officer cannot shoot and kill a gun-wielding criminal who is in the act of robbing a bank. But it does mean that an officer, having learned of a planned bank robbery, cannot protect public safety by preemptively assassinating the suspects.Eugene Robinson: Rand Paul did the right thing with filibuster - The Washington Post

Return to “Current Political Events”