1960s Maxwell House Commercial featuring Paul Lynde

Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of your favorite decade!
tabby

Post by tabby »

I don't remember this commercial but I used to love Paul Lynde when I was growing up. I first remember him as Endora's brother on "Bewitched" and later as a regular on "Hollywood Squares". Sometimes I see him in older comedy movies made in the 1950s and he's always funny to me. Love the smirky laugh ... still gets me!

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I loved him on Bewitched too... I still have a soft spot for that show, I think Elizabeth Montgomery was one of the most beautiful women back then.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I agree about Elizabeth Montgomery! I found this clip from early in the series. Apparently Paul Lynde's first appearance on the program was as a driving instructor. They created the role of Uncle Arthur for him after that.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Paul Lynde was also Ann-Margret's dad in Bye Bye Birdie, a movie I really loved & played the soundtrack constantly!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I loved that Bewitched clip, I even made my co-workers watch it.
tabby

Post by tabby »

AnneBoleyn;1429052 wrote: Paul Lynde was also Ann-Margret's dad in Bye Bye Birdie, a movie I really loved & played the soundtrack constantly!

Anne, that's one of those movies that I've been meaning to watch for ages but never seem to get around to it! It looks fun with a great cast.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Glad you liked it! Now every time I go to Youtube, they offer me a Paul Lynde video as a recommendation! Help .... I'm watching a smirker and can't stop!!

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tabby;1429096 wrote: Anne, that's one of those movies that I've been meaning to watch for ages but never seem to get around to it! It looks fun with a great cast.

Tabby, this film is a real classic & when you finally watch it, you will hear many songs that you already know. You'll really enjoy it, I'm sure!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

:D
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Paul Lynde was funny on TV and in movies, but many sources indicate he was a viciously mean drunk and an anti-Semite in real life.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Between Anne's recommendation & AFTR's video clip, I'm definitely going to watch the movie! Sounds like a good rainy day distraction!

Richard B, he may very well have been those things, who really knows at this point but if so, he was a viciously mean drunk anti-Semite with fabulous comedic timing!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I was curious about it after reading Richard's comment and found a show on youtube (broken up into chunks) simply called "Paul Lynde" that's very interesting. He was an insecure, overweight child that grew up into an insecure man that struggled with his weight all his life and even his friends like Dick Van Dyke said he was a vicious drunk. Funny after one drink, a monster after two. He didn't sound like a very happy person.
along-for-the-ride

SnoozeAgain;1429208 wrote: I was curious about it after reading Richard's comment and found a show on youtube (broken up into chunks) simply called "Paul Lynde" that's very interesting. He was an insecure, overweight child that grew up into an insecure man that struggled with his weight all his life and even his friends like Dick Van Dyke said he was a vicious drunk. Funny after one drink, a monster after two. He didn't sound like a very happy person.

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

That was interesting but the way they present their subjects on that show bugs me. The one I watched was on A&E and was a tiny bit more respectful of their subject.

Paul Lynde part 1 - YouTube
along-for-the-ride

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Dick Van Dyke was a silver fox in this...
tabby

Post by tabby »

You never know about people!

Here are some quips from Hollywood Squares that were on IMDB. Some of them are Paul's and some belong to others among the regulars ~~~~~> The Hollywood Squares (1965–1982) - Quotes - IMDb

Return to “The Time Capsule”