Paula Deen and the N word

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
valerie

Post by valerie »

She's in hot water for giving a deposition wherein she

said yes, she had used it. Uproar ensues.

Now, it got me thinking waaay back when Mark Furman

said he HADN'T used it, and turned out he was lying on

the witness stand.

A little damned if you do, damned if you don't maybe.

I don't think that word should be used at all, ever, but then

you have those who say that certain people should use it

if they want, and overuse lessens its' impact.

Thoughts?
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

valerie;1430272 wrote: She's in hot water for giving a deposition wherein she

said yes, she had used it. Uproar ensues.

Now, it got me thinking waaay back when Mark Furman

said he HADN'T used it, and turned out he was lying on

the witness stand.

A little damned if you do, damned if you don't maybe.

I don't think that word should be used at all, ever, but then

you have those who say that certain people should use it

if they want, and overuse lessens its' impact.

Thoughts?

Having looked her up and found that she was born in the 1940s in south eastern USA I would have found it hard to believe had she said she'd never used the word.

Why the cafuffle? If she'd said it this century then maybe so but when its use could well have been in the 1960s (as she claims) then so what?
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I say so what if Paula used the "N" word back in the 60's

Her parent's used the "N" word - the South used the "N" word & probably still do.

I don't like the word - I don't use the word & don't appreciate the "N" word being used now.

Will the honesty affect her pocket book - maybe.

If one finds Paula's honesty appalling - well burn her cook books ..

Patsy
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

This was back in the 60s?? I thought it was more like last week, judging by the broohaha on TV.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Everything offends someone. And if you are worth 17+ million, folks will get offended that much easier.

I think her idea is even more dumb than the notion that she expressed it out loud.:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I am very fortunate that my career never depended on the question if I ever used the word ******. Gotta consider though, my job wasn't about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Reminds me of

The powers that be have built a protective barrier against the use of that word, unlike any other known, far as I know in American English.

Isn't the hypocrisy is self evident?

Going back to Mark Furman.

I have never read anything which made the case he committed perjury. It was all race baiting, political BS which cause him to a plea bargain.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Food Network won't renew Paula Deen's contract

she's gonna be sorry now, even if she wasn't before.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I grew up in the Midwest around the same time as Paula Deen. I do not and never have used the "N" word as it is demeaning and disrespectful. I now live in the South, and do hear the "N" word around here quite often. It is just a word, but I cringe a little when I hear it.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Re: When she is supposed to have used it, near as I can figure, it was maybe 25 years ago,

when a black man came into the bank where she was working and held a gun to her head.

She used the word in relating the story to her husband when she got home. As near as

I can figure, anyway.

As to burning all her books, well that seems wasteful to me. She isn't going to know you

did it, and the books aren't the problem. Unless there's some asshat out there who

makes a video and posts it, which actually wouldn't surprise me.

Food Network really had no choice but not to renew. And Paula Deen doesn't need

the income anyway. Retire.

That apology video... well, okay. I can't quite categorize it as sincere, although it may

in fact be.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

along-for-the-ride;1430289 wrote:

I grew up in the Midwest around the same time as Paula Deen. I do not and never have used the "N" word as it is demeaning and disrespectful. I now live in the South, and do hear the "N" word around here quite often. It is just a word, but I cringe a little when I hear it.

I grew up in the west, and heard the same thing. I now live in the mid west, nothing changed.

Never seen any reason to believe there is a haven of racial harmony anywhere in this country. It most certainly will not happen as long as the government plays favorites based on race.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I grew up in the South, in the fifties and sixties.

However, the most I ever heard that word was when I was in the Northeast in the seventies.

Or when listening to stand-up by Richard Prior

I probably used it, myself a few times back in the day.

I can't see what the big deal is.

She did what she did, a long time ago. Some times the past comes back to bite you.

Life can suck when that happens.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

There's a statute of limitations on most crimes, holding her up for ridicule and job loss over a word said decades ago is asinine.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1430299 wrote: There's a statute of limitations on most crimes, holding her up for ridicule and job loss over a word said decades ago is asinine.

It's like women that call other women bitch all the time but get all morally outraged if a man says the same thing.

It's either acceptable for everyone to say or for no one to say, IMO.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Have we no forgiveness anymore? I think that we've all said things that we later regret, but once the words are spoken, there's no taking them back.

I love Paula Deen and Dog, Duane Chapman. I'm not sure if Dog is known outside of the USA. He has a reality show on A&E, one of our cable channels. Dog was also fired from his show, but was later forgiven for saying nasty comments about his son's Latino or black, girlfriend, and his show was reinstated.

I hope that the Food Channel reinstates Paula's show.
along-for-the-ride

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This Is a British Sit Com and Yes, he does call him a Nig Nog.

Love thy Neighbour - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Kathy Ellen;1430310 wrote: Have we no forgiveness anymore? I think that we've all said things that we later regret, but once the words are spoken, there's no taking them back.

I love Paula Deen and Dog, Duane Chapman. I'm not sure if Dog is known outside of the USA. He has a reality show on A&E, one of our cable channels. Dog was also fired from his show, but was later forgiven for saying nasty comments about his son's Latino or black, girlfriend, and his show was reinstated.

I hope that the Food Channel reinstates Paula's show.

I think it's a bit much myself Kathy Ellen, so I thought you might like this:

Paula Deen fans vent their outrage at Food Network

"............A day after announcing that it's dropping Deen from its roster of celebrity cooks, the cable network was served heaping portions of Southern fried outrage by her fans.

Angry messages piled up Saturday on the network's Facebook page, with many Deen fans threating to change the channel for good. "So good-bye Food Network," one viewer wrote. "I hope you fold like an accordion!!!" "

Paula Deen fans vent their outrage at Food Network - Yahoo! TV
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AnneBoleyn;1430322 wrote: I think it's a bit much myself Kathy Ellen, so I thought you might like this:

Paula Deen fans vent their outrage at Food Network

"............A day after announcing that it's dropping Deen from its roster of celebrity cooks, the cable network was served heaping portions of Southern fried outrage by her fans.

Angry messages piled up Saturday on the network's Facebook page, with many Deen fans threating to change the channel for good. "So good-bye Food Network," one viewer wrote. "I hope you fold like an accordion!!!" "

Paula Deen fans vent their outrage at Food Network - Yahoo! TV

Thanks for letting me know this Anne. I just posted on Facebook's Food Network site :-6
along-for-the-ride

Paula Deen spoke the truth. - CNN iReport
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Just goes to show that honesty does not always pay. Everyone has made mistakes. I have said the word, don't like the word but there are probably other things that I have done that would offend some special interest group or religion. I say get over it. If someone called me a cracker or whitey or honkey, I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of letting it make me mad. I think in some ways the people who holler about these things are the ones giving the words the power they supposedly have. If they don't want people to say the word then why is it constantly being said by them? It's either a bad word for all of society or none of society.
along-for-the-ride

Why Paula Deen's Mistake Is A Big Deal - CNN iReport

From the article......"I am a straight, white, female, so I am not part of a group that is usually subjected to discrimination. "

I happen to be aware of a few discriminating labels used for females, how about you?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/opinion/p ... le_sidebar
along-for-the-ride

Paula Deen and the "E" word.................extortion

Alleged plot to extort Paula Deen exposed; FBI makes arrest - TODAY.com

Return to “General Chit Chat”