Black Ivory Coffee: Pooped By Pachyderms, Priced for Princes

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Post by tabby »

The price aside plus the fact that it's only served in the Maldives, I can't imagine that I would ever want to try this even though I love coffee. Maybe someone with a more sophisticated palate could appreciate it. Any takers?

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

well, the Maldives are not on my itinerary for a while.

I will stick with my Dunkin Donuts blend. No digestive systems are used in the processing of this fine bean.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Nope, not me. Not even tempted & I love coffee--DD is my brand too LM .
tabby

Post by tabby »

Apparently civets also put out some desirable coffee beans and people are willing to pay big bucks for them. I shall pass on that as well!

The article briefly mentions birds nest soup and indicates that the USA is the largest importer of this delicacy. I've never tried it although I've seen it on Chinese restaurant menus. I don't really see it in my future any more than the coffee beans! :-3

The Science Behind Luwak Coffee - Neatorama
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

picky picky picky. Whats' wrong with it? ..been around for years . :)
tabby

Post by tabby »

fuzzywuzzy;1437092 wrote: picky picky picky. Whats' wrong with it? ..been around for years . :)

Ha ha! When I was little I assumed birds nest soup was made out of twigs and leaves. I was baffled at the appeal and now that I know "the truth" ... I'm still baffled!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

spose it's better than eating a duck embryo. I don't understand that one at all. I've seen it eaten twice on telly and dry wretched each time .

I've tried a lot of things but I have my limits.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I have tried some fairly odd stuff in my travels.

I think Jellied Eel was the turning point for me. I became a lot less interested in trying the local delicacies after that.

When in China, I tried a number of things, just because it seemed rude to constantly ask "what is it?" before trying something.

Bird's nest soup was one of those things.

I could probably eat it again if I must, to be polite, but it is not going on my list of favorites.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

LarsMac;1437168 wrote: I have tried some fairly odd stuff in my travels.

I think Jellied Eel was the turning point for me. I became a lot less interested in trying the local delicacies after that.

When in China, I tried a number of things, just because it seemed rude to constantly ask "what is it?" before trying something.

Bird's nest soup was one of those things.

I could probably eat it again if I must, to be polite, but it is not going on my list of favorites.

oh that's made me laugh.

Come to Australia, if you eat stuff just to be polite, I could defo have some fun with you . lol we'll have you eating wombat in no time at all. :D

If it's the same kind of jellied eel I'm thinking of ....that's not so bad. Chocolate grasshoppers and witchti grubs are da bomb!!!
tabby

Post by tabby »

fuzzywuzzy;1437151 wrote: spose it's better than eating a duck embryo. I don't understand that one at all. I've seen it eaten twice on telly and dry wretched each time .

I've tried a lot of things but I have my limits.

I used to work with a man who was originally from Vietnam and he said that deep frying the baby ducks just before they hatch is a delicacy there. As he described this delicacy, he would get a dreamy look on his face and you could see him floating back to a happy gastronomic moment in his childhood.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

fuzzywuzzy;1437328 wrote: oh that's made me laugh.

Come to Australia, if you eat stuff just to be polite, I could defo have some fun with you . lol we'll have you eating wombat in no time at all. :D

If it's the same kind of jellied eel I'm thinking of ....that's not so bad. Chocolate grasshoppers and witchti grubs are da bomb!!!

I had to eat some grubs, and other pretty odd stuff in survival school. I figured out that if you're hungry enough, you can eat pretty much anything.

I set a goal back then to never be that hungry, ever again.

However, If I make it down your way, I promise to look you up and sample your culinary offerings.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It's okay I wouldn't let you eat wombat . You can't anyway . I would eat a fence post before I would try wombat

Return to “The Kitchen”