Pete Seeger, THE folksinger of the sixties

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Pete Seeger, a Folk Revivalist

Pete Seeger was devoted to songs that had been passed on through generations of people singing and playing together.

I grew up with Pete Seeger and his music. The music called for justice and fair dealing with people. It called for an end to the way of life that I saw around me every day. Seeger spoke to me like no other.

Even though I later drifted away, Seeger and his music remained, calling me to remember its message.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

His music also inspired other singers/composers and was instrumental in what the press called the "folk revolution".
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I watched an interview with him where they asked him if it still bothered him that he was blacklisted during the McCarthy era. He said heck no it was the best publicity he ever had. He wrote some great songs.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Pete Seeger on the Johnny Cash show in 1970. Ryman Auditorium

I was in the audience.

It was a great show.

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
valerie

Post by valerie »

His grandson said he was chopping firewood 10 days before

he died. Keeping going kept him going, I'm sure.

Thanks for those vids, Lars, I hadn't seen them before.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

theia

Post by theia »

R.I.P. Pete...love your songs
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I was lucky enough to have known Pete Seeger during the '60's & with a group of students went sailing on his sloop, Clearwater, a few times. He was very active in the NYC anti-war movement, responsible for the clean-up of the Hudson River & extremely welcoming to young people (of all ages). A true hero who left us with many memorable songs (I love "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" even more than "Turn, Turn Turn" & "If I Had a Hammer"). He was a delight & loved to share stories of the Labor Movement, of which my grandmother & father were a part. A warm, friendly, lovable man who in "real" life was all he appeared to be on stage. R.I.P. One of the best parts of my wayward youth---the whole era was beyond belief in the goodness & efforts to peace, love, understanding. What a Guy.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

While I'm here I must make mention of Pete Seeger's great generosity of opening his home, his heart, his hospitality. You couldn't visit (& his door was always open) without meals, music, & even a place to stay if you wanted to. He was genuinely a Good Man with a Big Big Heart.

Return to “General Music”