Which Side are you on

LarsMac

Which Side are you on

Post by LarsMac »

A Seeger Classic taken from the day of the Harlan County Wars

With the new war against unions, and the unlivable wages, being paid by the new Corporate raiders, it becomes a valid question, again.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Which Side are you on

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1446217 wrote: A Seeger Classic taken from the day of the Harlan County Wars

With the new war against unions, and the unlivable wages, being paid by the new Corporate raiders, it becomes a valid question, again.

I'm on the side of a fair day's pay for a fair day's work for all people and that starts with levels of pay that allow people to live like human beings rather than existing like animals.

I'm also on Pete Seeger's side - a great singer
gmc

Which Side are you on

Post by gmc »

It seems each generation has to fight the same battles.

Billy Bragg - Which Side Are You On? - YouTube

posted by lars mac

Out of curiosity how do american schools tackle teaching their social history from a working man's perspective? About unions and fair pay legislation and the like
LarsMac

Which Side are you on

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1446263 wrote: It seems each generation has to fight the same battles.

Billy Bragg - Which Side Are You On? - YouTube

posted by lars mac

Out of curiosity how do american schools tackle teaching their social history from a working man's perspective? About unions and fair pay legislation and the like

Good question. When I was in High School, (I think Secondary School is what y'all call it.) The only thing I recall was a story about Henry Ford and his battle with the unions. and a short bit about the child labor laws.

Though, in my fourth year of school, I was living in the coal mining area in the Appalachian Mountains and the story of the Harlan County Wars was a part of our history class.

We later moved further south, and Union was a dirty word in the fifties. Of course as the sixties rolled in, It became more about the racial issues, and the Unions up north started sending people down to work on organizing the Civil Rights folks. That got the locals all riled up.

First time I saw Pete Seeger was at a rally in Atlanta to support the Freedom Riders.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Which Side are you on

Post by gmc »

It's amazing how people can be convinced they have no right to defend themselves from exploitation and that those who seek to do so are somehow destroying the fabric of society.

Return to “General Music”