Strange behavior for a bird???

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

I witnessed an unusual thing today when walking Zeus. For the last two mornings I have noticed a bird that has been fluttering around the side mirror on a car. Today I stopped and took some photos. At first I stood at the rear of the car watching this self-infatuated bird peck at the mirror admiring itself. It would flap its wings in a hovered flight in front of the mirror then land back on the side of the car door and fluff out its wings and peck on the mirror again. He was so consumed with himself that he didn’t even notice me getting closer and closer. Now I could see his markings and he had a brown head and jet black body. It wasn’t until I was an arm length way that he jumped up on the mirror and I noticed he only had one leg! He looked rather upset with me for disturbing him right before he flew away. Tomorrow if he is there I am going to video tape him. Very strange!

I looked up this bird when I got home and it is a Brown-Headed Cowbird, a member of the blackbird family.

Have you ever seen anything like this???

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Interesting behavior and cool pics.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

lol

Great photos.....................good you had your camera with you to capture the moment.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The photos are beautiful & so is your subject. In the distant past I had many parakeets as pets. They always had a mirror in the cage for "company." Birds have no sense of self, they think they are looking at another bird. My parakeets would often "feed" their reflection by regurgitating their food on their image. Your bird does not see himself, he sees another bird & thinks the bird is mimicking his behaviors & motions.

Reminded of the "mirror" scene in "I Love Lucy" between Lucy & Harpo Marx!

Reflections Of A Different Time - Lucille Ball and Harpo Marx - I Love Lucy - Mirror Sketch - YouTube
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Some years back, we had just moved into a house in North Carolina. It had no screens for the windows. Winter was coming on at the time, so we didn't bother with the screens.

Spring arrived, and one morning, we were awakened by a curious scratching in the front room.

A Mockingbird was on the sill of one of the windows, and kept throwing himself at the window. He would stay in the front porch for hours, and fly at the window, attacking his reflection with feet, or claws. Then sit at the window sill for most of the day, arguing and fighting with the interloper, only leaving when daylight began to fade.

Every day he would return to the window and every day the intruder returned to challenge his domain.

The poor thing became obsessed, and wore himself out.

The screens I had ordered arrived, and I installed them. The Mockingbird could no longer see his reflection. Exhausted, he sat on the porch for the whole day, using it as a launch platform to attack any bugs that came near. Finally triumphant, and refreshed, that Mockingbird spent the next few days perched on the dogwood in front of the porch, singing the story of his epic battle for all to hear.

A fine looking young lass, attracting by his tale showed up a week later, and together they built their nest nearby.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Great story LarsMac!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1452610 wrote: Great story LarsMac!

And nicely told.

I was thinking the reflection was either a an enemy or prospective mate.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Fantastic photographs Lady J !!!

It's quite common especially In aggressive birds. We had a Magpie who did It a few years ago.

How to Stop Birds from Pecking the Mirrors on a Car | eHow
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Wandrin;1452600 wrote: Interesting behavior and cool pics.

Glad you liked it Wandrin!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

along-for-the-ride;1452601 wrote:

lol

Great photos.....................good you had your camera with you to capture the moment.

Thank you AFTR! I always have some means of photography with me. These were taken with my cell phone. You never know when you will see something that you will never see/experience again. I believe images capture those moments forever...and that is a lot of memories.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

AnneBoleyn;1452606 wrote: The photos are beautiful & so is your subject. In the distant past I had many parakeets as pets. They always had a mirror in the cage for "company." Birds have no sense of self, they think they are looking at another bird. My parakeets would often "feed" their reflection by regurgitating their food on their image. Your bird does not see himself, he sees another bird & thinks the bird is mimicking his behaviors & motions.

Reminded of the "mirror" scene in "I Love Lucy" between Lucy & Harpo Marx!

Reflections Of A Different Time - Lucille Ball and Harpo Marx - I Love Lucy - Mirror Sketch - YouTube

Anne....I agree that the Cowbird thought it was looking at another bird and trying to be better...mating season is here (I guess - it's Spring) I'm glad you enjoyed this thread!

BTW.... Lucy is my favorite and she always makes me lauf and this Mirror Sketch was great! Thank you! I enjoyed it!!!:-4
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1452608 wrote: Some years back, we had just moved into a house in North Carolina. It had no screens for the windows. Winter was coming on at the time, so we didn't bother with the screens.

Spring arrived, and one morning, we were awakened by a curious scratching in the front room.

A Mockingbird was on the sill of one of the windows, and kept throwing himself at the window. He would stay in the front porch for hours, and fly at the window, attacking his reflection with feet, or claws. Then sit at the window sill for most of the day, arguing and fighting with the interloper, only leaving when daylight began to fade.

Every day he would return to the window and every day the intruder returned to challenge his domain.

The poor thing became obsessed, and wore himself out.

The screens I had ordered arrived, and I installed them. The Mockingbird could no longer see his reflection. Exhausted, he sat on the porch for the whole day, using it as a launch platform to attack any bugs that came near. Finally triumphant, and refreshed, that Mockingbird spent the next few days perched on the dogwood in front of the porch, singing the story of his epic battle for all to hear.

A fine looking young lass, attracting by his tale showed up a week later, and together they built their nest nearby.

I agree with Anne....this is a great story!:-6
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Bruv;1452611 wrote: And nicely told.

I was thinking the reflection was either a an enemy or prospective mate.

Close enuf. Thanks for your reply.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Mate;1452612 wrote: Fantastic photographs Lady J !!!

It's quite common especially In aggressive birds. We had a Magpie who did It a few years ago.

How to Stop Birds from Pecking the Mirrors on a Car | eHow

Glad you like the images...and thank you for the compliment. :)

I found your link quite helpful. I will share this information with the owners of the vehicles the Cowbird has been visiting. As you can see from the photos the bird leaves quite a mess of bird dropping on the car as well. That can not be a wanted thing!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

No luck today getting a video....Saturday and too many activities along the road....people cutting grass and washing their cars (I bet I know what some are washing off! LOL!) Perhaps once Monday rolls in.....

Lady J
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

BTW....any thoughts on why this Brown-Headed Cowbird only has one leg????

Return to “The Outdoors”