Thats it England, all over.

Discuss all types of sports.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I enjoy a good football match, don't follow any team, but every four years the spectacle of the World Cup comes around and I get caught up in the idea England could win the sports greatest prize......................again.

Then we get beaten by a team from a country who's total population couldn't half fill our capital London.

Uruguay is known for its secularism, liberal social laws (gay marriage is legal there), and well developed social security, health, and education systems.

Oh well........footballers are only a bunch of over paid prancing, egotistic, women chasing, neer do wells anyway.........I will get over it Im sure
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Out In Brazil, the England team visited an orphanage.

" It was heartbreaking to see their little faces, so full of hope"

Said Jose aged 6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

The US was outplayed the entire game and still managed to win. Reckon that's the way it goes.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Namechange;1458008 wrote: Out In Brazil, the England team visited an orphanage.

Said Jose aged 6

Pardon? Unless the child's name is "Said" - I'm confused. Actually, even if his name is Said - I'm confused. Who said what about whom?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

High Threshold;1458011 wrote: Pardon? Unless the child's name is "Said" - I'm confused. Actually, even if his name is Said - I'm confused. Who said what about whom?

Maybe you're just confused (in general). I know I am!!!!!!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

How did Generalissimo get into this thread.............the Spanish are definitately out..........they've got a new King though.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

AnneBoleyn;1458014 wrote: Maybe you're just confused (in general). I know I am!!!!!!

Yes. As I understand the message, the England team visited an orphanage in Brazil. Jose, (who's a 6 year-old member of the England team) remarked,

"It was heartbreaking to see their little faces, so full of hope"

Isn't it illegal for a six-year-old to play for the English side? Not to mention the child's limited abilities to compete with full-grown men. No way, José! :confused:
Týr

Post by Týr »

I just heard Greg Dyke, FA Chairman, interviewed on the BBC News where he used the word "narrowly". As in "it's sad that we were beaten twice - narrowly - ...". I'm not making it up.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oscar Namechange;1458008 wrote: Out In Brazil, the England team visited an orphanage.

Said Jose aged 6

Oh Julie, you are naughty ! But it is very funny all the same, when we all know that now that the Italians have lost their match today against Costa Rica, England will not go on to the last 16 in the World Cup and that is very sad for the team and the fans ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Just for those who are confused by the English sense of humour, if you realise that "their little faces" was referring to the English Team and José aged 6 was in fact one of the orphans ! Sorry Oscar, I know it always spoils the joke when you have to explain it, but English humour takes a bit of getting used to ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Týr

Post by Týr »

G#Gill;1458029 wrote: Just for those who are confused by the English sense of humour, if you realise that "their little faces" was referring to the English Team and José aged 6 was in fact one of the orphans ! Sorry Oscar, I know it always spoils the joke when you have to explain it, but English humour takes a bit of getting used to ! :wah:

The trouble is, Gill, I have a strong suspicion that "Out In Brazil, the England team visited an orphanage" is actually untrue. Humour is one thing but muddying the waters of a current event is a bit prattish. The thread is, you'll notice, about a current event.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1458029 wrote: Just for those who are confused by the English sense of humour, if you realise that "their little faces" was referring to the English Team and José aged 6 was in fact one of the orphans !

Ah! To be English! If I could be one just for a single day - just to quickly scan through the pages of FG and discover all that I've been missing these 9 years ....... !:-2
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1458028 wrote: I just heard Greg Dyke, FA Chairman, interviewed on the BBC News where he used the word "narrowly". As in "it's sad that we were beaten twice - narrowly - ...". I'm not making it up.

What's the Grumpy Old piano player got to do with it ?

But to be fair, neither match was a crushing defeat, only to the English psyche......so in footy parlance (remembering they are not BBC editors or Oxbridge graduates) really a close thing.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1458031 wrote: The trouble is, Gill, I have a strong suspicion that "Out In Brazil, the England team visited an orphanage" is actually untrue. Humour is one thing but muddying the waters of a current event is a bit prattish. The thread is, you'll notice, about a current event.

You will be telling me next The Chicken never crossed the road.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1458035 wrote: You will be telling me next The Chicken never crossed the road.

:yh_rotfl

By the way, while Tyr is around, please excuse me for going off-topic ...... Tyr I'm getting Error 500 (internal server) thrown at me every time I try to send a PM - I can't even PM you. But I did send an email. Sorry to be a pain but Bryn isn't online, so I hope you can help please.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

High Threshold;1458032 wrote: Ah! To be English! If I could be one just for a single day - just to quickly scan through the pages of FG and discover all that I've been missing these 9 years ....... !:-2

HT you surprise me when you say "Ah! To be English!" You don't give me the impression of being anything else but English, the way you are totally fluent in the English language and totally grammatically correct. It is one thing to be able to speak fluently in a language other than your mother tongue, but I think it is a lot more difficult to write the other language with correct spelling and correct grammar. Yes I have noticed that your location is Sweden, down south, but there are a lot of ex-pats living away from the UK.

By the way, HT, I haven't forgotten about the gift instructions, it's just that I am unable to send a PM as of yesterday afternoon ! :-5:-5
gmc

Post by gmc »

Týr;1458031 wrote: The trouble is, Gill, I have a strong suspicion that "Out In Brazil, the England team visited an orphanage" is actually untrue. Humour is one thing but muddying the waters of a current event is a bit prattish. The thread is, you'll notice, about a current event.

If oscar wants to take the piss out of the english team why shouldn't she? Let's face it if you can't laugh you would be crying. For myself I have no comment to make since my national team is beyond a joke.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ere, Tyr, it wasn't me who made a joke of England's poor showing in Brazil. I just passed a comment, so don't you tick me off and I hope you are not insinuating that I am a pratt ! I will take that comment from you as just your opinion, otherwise I could complain that you are being insulting ! I'm not quite sure why you should think that making a bit of a joke is "muddying the waters of a current event ". Tyr has somebody turned your 'giggle pin' to the off position ? Listen, it's Friday and we have a weekend ahead of us scheduled to be warm and sunny, so let's smile eh ! :)
Týr

Post by Týr »

G#Gill;1458044 wrote: Tyr has somebody turned your 'giggle pin' to the off position ?It's generally reckoned to have frozen there in the run-up to World War Two.

Bryn's on his boat until Monday and I'm on a borrowed line, being between houses, but I'll try to review the logs. The 500 Server Error is a long-standing curse on FG, being a result of a module I've found no way of disabling (called ModSec2). It's an utterly lousy attempt at imposing security in a way which has no place on any online forum and its authors should be treated no better than the heretics of Spain at the height of the Inquisition, damn their miserable and unnecessary souls. I have had more problems from that one module than all the other oddities on FG put together.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1458045 wrote: It's generally reckoned to have frozen there in the run-up to World War Two.

Bryn's on his boat until Monday and I'm on a borrowed line, being between houses, but I'll try to review the logs. The 500 Server Error is a long-standing curse on FG, being a result of a module I've found no way of disabling (called ModSec2). It's an utterly lousy attempt at imposing security in a way which has no place on any online forum and its authors should be treated no better than the heretics of Spain at the height of the Inquisition, damn their miserable and unnecessary souls. I have had more problems from that one module than all the other oddities on FG put together.

Thank you very much, Tyr, for the information and your answer. I suppose the people who decide to do these things in the name of 'security' must have their reasons and I have no IT knowledge to fathom out the strange workings of those authors' minds. I wish you luck in your efforts to sort this problem out. In the mean time, I will not be able to send PMs and I have no way of knowing whether I can receive PMs either. I wonder if other members are experiencing the same problem ? Oh well, what I had to say to HT I will have to put on a thread somewhere and hope he finds it !

The odd thing is, Tyr, that I was perfectly able to send and receive PMs up to some time yesterday early evening (UK) ! Very strange that it suddenly decided to piss me about ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

By the way, Bryn is having some decent weather for travelling on his boat, and I hope it continues for him !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1458045 wrote: It's generally reckoned to have frozen there in the run-up to World War Two.

You see, Tyr, you can make a 'funny' after all and despite other peoples' doubts ! Mind you, I do realise that you can come out with some rather 'off-the-wall' funnies that seem to fly over the top of many members' heads. Still, I find myself smiling at some of the way-out comments you make online ! (grins)
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1458042 wrote: If oscar wants to take the piss out of the english team why shouldn't she? Let's face it if you can't laugh you would be crying. For myself I have no comment to make since my national team is beyond a joke.

Click on pic to enlarge

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Týr

Post by Týr »

G#Gill;1458068 wrote: The odd thing is, Tyr, that I was perfectly able to send and receive PMs up to some time yesterday early evening (UK) ! Very strange that it suddenly decided to piss me about ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
It's the content, the text, which causes a 500 Server Error. Changing the wording, paraphrasing, posting one half of the text, will get round the error - what's utterly unacceptable on the error's part is that if you haven't saved the text before getting the error then it's irretrievable.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oscar Namechange;1458071 wrote: Click on pic to enlarge

Oscar, you're still being naughty Mrs. :yh_rotfl:lips:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1458072 wrote: It's the content, the text, which causes a 500 Server Error. Changing the wording, paraphrasing, posting one half of the text, will get round the error - what's utterly unacceptable is that if you haven't saved the text before getting the error then it's irretrievable.

Oh.............. thanks for the tip, I'll try to remember to do that, and hopefully I may be able to send PMs despite those obstructive wallies.

You know, Tyr, you're not just a pretty face (sometimes) (smile)
Týr

Post by Týr »

G#Gill;1458070 wrote: [quote=Týr][quote=G#Gill]Tyr has somebody turned your 'giggle pin' to the off position ?It's generally reckoned to have frozen there in the run-up to World War Two.You see, Tyr, you can make a 'funny' after all[/QUOTE]That's sadly not what happened. If you look at what you quoted, you'll see it's just another accurate statement of fact.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1458075 wrote: That's sadly not what happened. If you look at what you quoted, you'll see it's just another accurate statement of fact.

Of course ! You're probably right !
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

G#Gill;1458074 wrote: Oh.............. thanks for the tip, I'll try to remember to do that, and hopefully I may be able to send PMs despite those obstructive wallies.

You know, Tyr, you're not just a pretty face (sometimes) (smile) Careful Gill, you don't want to go muddying the waters here with all this talk about server problems when the subject is England.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Peter Lake;1458079 wrote: Careful Gill, you don't want to go muddying the waters here with all this talk about server problems when the subject is England.

Hi there Peter, hope you're feeling not too bad today ! Your missus has found a few funnies ain't she ?

Poor England, well I think it's a case of not getting good defence and not getting good service through to mid-field, who in turn ain't giving good serviceto the strikers ! So it wasn't totally off-topic was it ? :p :yh_rotfl

When is the England team going to find the 'killer instinct' and get keen to close down the opposition all the time, like the opposition do to the England team ? I believe we have the ingredients for a world class football team that should be 'the team to beat', but they need defence trainers like Rio Ferdinand and John Terry, mid-field trainers like Paul Scholes, Beardsley and move Gerrard to a trainer position, and strike force trainers like Teddy Sheringham and Alan Shearer, then maybe, just maybe over time we could have 'the team to beat'. They also need to use the wingers far more ! The other thing I would like to see is less 'foreign' players (restricting by rules from the FA) so that more home grown players can be brought on in our premiership teams. This would give more choices for our national team. Until something is done to restrict these expensive 'foreign' players, we will never have a constant world class England team. :thinking:
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

G#Gill;1458080 wrote: Hi there Peter, hope you're feeling not too bad today ! Your missus has found a few funnies ain't she ?

Poor England, well I think it's a case of not getting good defence and getting good service through to mid-field, who in turn ain't giving good serviceto the strikers ! So it wasn't totally off-topic was it ? :p :yh_rotfl

When is the England team going to find the 'killer instinct' and get keen to close down the opposition all the time, like the opposition do to the England team ? I believe we have the ingredients for a world class football team that should be 'the team to beat', but they need defence trainers like Rio Ferdinand and John Terry, mid-field trainers like Paul Scholes, Beardsley and move Gerrard to a trainer position, and strike force trainers like Teddy Sherringham and Alan Shearer, then maybe, just maybe over time we could have 'the team to beat'. The other thing I would like to see is less 'foreign' players (restricting by rules from the FA) so that more home grown players can be brought on in our premiership teams. This would give more choices for our national team. Until something is done to restrict these expensive 'foreign' players, we will never have a constant world class England team. :thinking: A few? She has hundreds of those but then she has a sense of humour,

I'm not so bad Gill, i'm struggling to breathe in this heat but we plod on. How are you?

As for the rest of your post, it means nothing to me. The wife banned all football matches from the house especially as Royal Ascot highlights are on at night. All i know is that Rooney scored a goal and apparently to some, that's very important. Next will be the England manager getting sacked no doubt.
Oscar Namechange

Attached files
Týr

Post by Týr »

Oscar Namechange;1458225 wrote: ...Is it the players you're accusing of incompetence? Or the team's coaching? Or the national squad's management? Just flinging handfuls of mud is a bit uninformative, there's not a lot to latch onto with "total **** ups" in constructing a conversation.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oscar Namechange;1458225 wrote: ...

I don't know who thinks of these 'cartoons', but they definitely have a quirky sense of humour ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl and Tyr you need to lighten up a little bit - I reckon that the England team (all those involved in whatever capacity), and particularly the actual players, should be ashamed that, except for a few of the players, they don't seem that eager to close an opponent down or tackle or intercept an opponent's pass. They seem to be just waiting for their opponents to make a mistake before they are able to gain possession of the ball ! It doen't surprise me one bit that there are so many sarcastic jokes about the England football team. I believe that England is where football first started, and we used to be world leaders in football. So what happened ? I'll tell you what happened - loads of foreign players were brought and bought to boost our teams, thus preventing home grown players the opportunity to better themselves in a good team. Of course when it comes to the national team, foreign players will play for their own countries and our depleted source of good players will play for England. It's time to restrict foreign members in our football league teams. Then maybe we can bring on more English born players and maybe the pool of eligible national team players will get much bigger and maybe amongst those young up-and-coming youngsters we will find more Gascoignes, Linekers, Keegans, Beckhams, Pierces, Banks and Shiltons. But at the moment, these undiscovered world class players are swamped out of the Premiership by players bought from other countries ! That does not improve our national team. :-5
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Týr;1458226 wrote: Is it the players you're accusing of incompetence? Or the team's coaching? Or the national squad's management? Just flinging handfuls of mud is a bit uninformative, there's not a lot to latch onto with "total **** ups" in constructing a conversation. Considering it was only a week ago that you were complaining Oscar was harassing you, there seems double standards apply here. In any event, why apportion blame to any of the individual elements of team England. The fact remains, all contributed to an abysmal embarrassment. What do you suggest? The country line the streets to welcome them home or maybe a bank holiday named in their honour? Or shall we all just collectively hang our heads in shame?
Týr

Post by Týr »

G#Gill;1458247 wrote: Tyr you need to lighten up a little bitThis is a new use of the word "need" with which I am as yet unfamiliar. I do not see the necessity.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Peter Lake;1458251 wrote: Or shall we all just collectively hang our heads in shame?It's something the pair of you might take a shot at, now you bring it up.

"Why apportion blame to any of the individual elements of team England"? Because it is startlingly unlikely that blame attaches to all the elements of team England. It would be unfair to blame those elements of team England which are not, in fact, blameworthy. It's a matter of fairness to isolate the plonkers and commiserate with the remainder they betrayed.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am pleased we went home hungry, unlike Luis Suarez, what a total waste of space the man is.

theia

Post by theia »

Bruv;1458285 wrote: I am pleased we went home hungry, unlike Luis Suarez, what a total waste of space the man is.

Heard on the news that he may face a 2 year ban if it's shown that he did bite the Italian player. Also heard that, because he's a star player, it won't be a decision that FIFA would welcome.

I know little about football so please bear that in mind when reading my comment
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

theia;1458301 wrote: Heard on the news that he may face a 2 year ban if it's shown that he did bite the Italian player. Also heard that, because he's a star player, it won't be a decision that FIFA would welcome.

I know little about football so please bear that in mind when reading my comment

I know a little more than you, but when reporting this incident last night he has been caught 'at it' twice before and has had bans.

What a nasty bit of work he is, ban him for life I say.
theia

Post by theia »

Bruv;1458302 wrote: I know a little more than you, but when reporting this incident last night he has been caught 'at it' twice before and has had bans.

What a nasty bit of work he is, ban him for life I say.

My 20 month old grandson has bitten his 4 year old sister on a couple of occasions but he now knows that it won't be tolerated.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Suaraz is a 27 professional footballer not a toddler, he should have learned by now.
theia

Post by theia »

Bruv;1458306 wrote: Suaraz is a 27 professional footballer not a toddler, he should have learned by now.

Exactly my point
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Týr;1458284 wrote: It's something the pair of you might take a shot at, now you bring it up.

Further asinine venom.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

theia;1458307 wrote: Exactly my point I missed that having not watched any of the matches. Is there something being done about this?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

There is something very wrong with Suarez. He is ruining his career. I expect he will get another match ban, possibly a whole season, maybe two ! Apparently FIFA are doing a thorough investigation into the incident, and should they decide, having watched various videos, that Suarez has bitten yet again even after his previous ban I expect they may well realise that the man hasn't learnt his lesson!

Suarez apparently complained that the Itallian elbowed him in the eye ! Unfortunately the video will show that Suarez bit the guy first and OK the Italian lashed out at Suarez but in defence and no doubt in shock with the pain !

Liverpool may well sell him as why the heck should they pay that pratt all that money each week and the idiot is not allowed to play - he is a liability ! There is a limit to how much a team's hierarchy will tolerate a member of the team, however brilliant the guy may be. The fact is that is that team prepared to continue to pay nearly 1/4 million pounds per week for somebody to do nothing to earn that money because of his own repeated savage behaviour causing him to get a long ban ?

I understand that sponsors for Suarez have withdrawn the contract with him, saying that they cannot condone such violent and savage behaviour. It would appear that that is the start of Suarez downhill slide unless I'm very much mistaken ! It is such a tragic waste of a rare talent ! The guy needs psychiatric help !
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I have tried to watch soccer...really. But it has NO DRAMA! Who wants to watch the ball go back and forth for two hours?!! typical scores are like 1-0. Really? That's like watching the world's longest and most boring tennis match. Even golf has more scoring and drama.

Pfft. World cup. At least in American Football, the players get to hit each other.
theia

Post by theia »

Peter Lake;1458313 wrote: I missed that having not watched any of the matches. Is there something being done about this?

I think it is still being investigated...the biting is still "alleged."
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

theia;1458406 wrote: I think it is still being investigated...the biting is still "alleged." I saw an article last night with some pretty damning photographs of the bite which clearly did not manifest by magic and saw also, it was the same Italian player as the last one he bit.
theia

Post by theia »

Peter Lake;1458407 wrote: I saw an article last night with some pretty damning photographs of the bite which clearly did not manifest by magic and saw also, it was the same Italian player as the last one he bit.

I can't help laughing at the last part of your post! The incident isn't funny at all but the way you phrased it made me giggle! :wah:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Shouldn't that gybe banned from soccer for the third offense of this?
theia

Post by theia »

Saint_;1458412 wrote: Shouldn't that gybe banned from soccer for the third offense of this?

Just heard that he has a 4 month ban from any football related activity

Return to “Wide World of Sports”