Robin Williams found dead

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Death has been ruled a suicide. He was found earlier

today in his Tiburon, California home.

I know he was fighting substance abuse problems again,

but I'm shocked at this news.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I am very deeply saddened seeing this.

So many wonderful films, characters and funny funny man. In fact, he was a flawed genious.

This Is a huge loss to the film Industry. What a terrible shame. :-1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I only just heard it coming through as breaking news on the radio a few minutes ago. Tragic.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I'm shocked

I just heard this on our news.

He was such a funny man - My Hubby & I saw him in person as he was performing his one man comedy show and we laughed & laughed.

After his last comedy show was cancelled Robin became very depressed and depended on different remedy / substance use.

News stated Robin died of Asphyxiation and didn't elaborate whether it was a hanging or if he was found in his car?

We've lost a funny funny man and a great talented man.

Very sad

Patsy
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Being depressive myself I can fully empathise with the inner trauma he must have been going through.

It's a curious fact that most of the best comedians tend to be proportionally depressive inwardly. The funnier they are, the more depressed they get in real life.

Despite it being a sad loss for those of us left behind, if there is any sort of ethereal post mortal existence, I just hope he found the peace he was so desperately looking for.

Bon Voyage, Robin.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

His lost is deep....it cuts into the laughter and smiles he brought to many....in his simple, silly ways. God rest his soul and I know he will be back..in one form or another!

thank you Robin for the joys and tears of pleasure running down my face in pure delight!

this is like losing Michael Jackson all over again....very sad.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Another good man gone we'll never see the like of again. Sympathies to his family at this terrible time.
Arena

Post by Arena »

There is no great genius without a mixture of madness.

Aristotle
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

That's what I'd call him, a genius. Been loving that guy since Mork and Mindy days.

I'm really conflicted. I took some comfort in thinking, "Well, I'm sure that he went to Heaven." Then I thought, "Wait a minute, doesn't the Bible say that suicides go to Hell?":-3
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Wow,great comedian, great actor. Obviously fame and fortune doesn't guarantee happiness. But isn't supposed too?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Saint_;1461748 wrote: "Wait a minute, doesn't the Bible say that suicides go to Hell?":-3

But does it? Or is that just another invention created by the Church? There are so many things that the Church has laid down as Religious Credo, claiming that such & such is forbidden by the Bible, when it actually says nothing of the sort. Curiously enough even Pope Francis has recently admitted that there is nothing in the Bible that says that Priests should remain celibate or not be allowed to marry, and is proposing to bring things up to date & permit it.

The Bible and Suicide - What Does Scripture Say?

Paul made it plain in Romans 8:38-39 that nothing can separate us from God's love:

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Some comfort for anyone in a similar situation who may be of Religious Faith.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I am sad that he died and sad that he came to a point where he decided to end his own life.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I am so grateful to have had the chance to see Robin in person.

Which movie is your favorite Robin Williams Movie?

Mine would have to be "Good Morning Vietnam".

P.S. I don't believe in hell - you've struggled through life then you've made it through Hell.

I believe all souls go to Heaven no matter the way out.

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

FourPart;1461708 wrote: Being depressive myself I can fully empathise with the inner trauma he must have been going through.

It's a curious fact that most of the best comedians tend to be proportionally depressive inwardly. The funnier they are, the more depressed they get in real life.

Despite it being a sad loss for those of us left behind, if there is any sort of ethereal post mortal existence, I just hope he found the peace he was so desperately looking for.

Bon Voyage, Robin.

I was saying this to Val elsewhere last night.

I told her about The ' Carry On' films of the 60's and 70's.

All were household names and national treasures but so many of them battling demons even a few of them taking their own lives.

One's that spring to mind, Kenneth Williams, Tony Hancock, Charles Haughtry... Others that suffered from the demons turning to drink and substance abuse were Tommy Cooper, Jim Davidson, Sid James, Spike Milligan...

Yet all were comedy legends..

It appears they hid behind the comedy personna and the on stage funny man.

I saw an Interview recently where I noted one of my most favourite funny men, Jim Carey apparently also battles depression and Insecurity.

Having suffered from depression myself, I know that one of the problems Is that If you are a wise guy, known for having a laugh at life, people just assume you are OK... but you're not. The wise guy personna Is to hide behind some kind of mask. I managed to drag myself up by the boots and now my life could not be fuller or more fullfilled but I so empathise with those who can't do that.

As a human race, we must stop assuming and look a little deeper at the people around us.

" I used to think the worst thing was being alone. I was wrong. The worst thing Is being surrounded by people who make you feel alone "

Robin Williams
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

A clown hides his tears behind the layers of make up.
Oscar Namechange

Has anyone seen this about Robin Williams encounter with Koko the Gorilla?

Keep scrolling down to see him with the Gorilla.

It just endorses what a loss he Is.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/thes ... robin?bffb
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oscar

Is this where Robin says Happy Birthday to me..?

I couldn't bring up your attachment.

Did you see the last photo of Robin? He was so thin

so sad

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oscar

Oh - it worked - different pic

the one I was referring to was a little monkey & Robin was singing Happy B-Day to me.

Patsy
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

You may have seen this on FB...yes/no doesn't really matter.

What matters is if you take the time and pay it forward with the same joy that Robin gave all of us in laughter, tears of delight and more. Make someone's day special, reach ...RIP Robin.

Here is the link!

Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

1. "Wait a minute, doesn't the Bible say that suicides go to Hell?"

2. "But does it? Or is that just another invention created by the Church? There are so many things that the Church has laid down as Religious Credo, claiming that such & such is forbidden by the Bible, when it actually says nothing of the sort.

3. Curiously enough even Pope Francis has recently admitted that there is nothing in the Bible that says that Priests should remain celibate or not be allowed to marry, and is proposing to bring things up to date & permit it."

I know that the thread is about Mr. Williams, but please let me first comment on the remarks above.

1. Not that I'm aware of.

2. The Catholic Church does not invent things - its teachings are all based on Scripture and ancient traditions. Previously the Church did not perform funerals for suicides, but that is no longer the case. The decision of who - if anyone - goes to hell belongs to God alone, always has, always will.

3. That is hardly 'curious', and I doubt that he made any such statement. The Church has always had a married clergy, going all the way back to Peter. The celibate clergy, which is restricted to the Western or "Latin" Rite, is relatively recent, going back only to the 10th or 11th century. The various Eastern rites have always had a married clergy as they have today. It is quite possible that the Western rite will eventually - perhaps even during Francis' pontificate - ordain more married men, but they would have to be married first. Allowing ordained priests to marry is, as far as I know, not on the table, nor is it likely to be in anytime in the near future.

Now, regarding Robin Williams, his suicide, like anyone's, is indeed a great tragedy, and his enormous success as a comedian is beyond question.

But, I gotta ask, am I the only one here who never much cared for his style? To me, he was, like John Wayne, Cary Grant, and some others, a "one-trick pony". No matter the role, he was always pretty much Robin Williams, with the same mannerisms and overall style. Compared with actors like Johnny Depp, the late Philip Seymour Hoffman and some others who have assayed a wide variety of roles with great success, Robin was, as an actor, well, Robin.

Someone once said or wrote of Katherine Hepburn, "Her performances run the gamut of emotions from A to B." That was, I think, pretty much true of Robin. Also, like the late Milton Berle and some others, he frequently and shamelessly stole jokes from other comedians.

But he certainly had a loyal following, and to them and to his family I offer my sincere condolences.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mark Aspam;1461799 wrote: I know that the thread is about Mr. Williams, but please let me first comment on the remarks above.

I have started a new thread in respect to Robin Williams.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/newth ... read&f=123
Arena

Post by Arena »

Fox News reader labelled him a 'coward'.

What do you expect from Murdoch Muckrakers!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

That just goes to show there's no accounting for taste. Everyone here seems to have liked his work. Personally, I didn't like him at all. Just a lot of ha-ha, ho-ho farce as far as I could see. With the exception of "A Russian in New York" (a delightful film!) he seemed not to have much variety in his playing of most roles. The same tight-lipped, grimace/smirk - left, right and centre. But what do I know ..... I don't like Dolph Lundgren or Eddie Murphy either!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If everyone had the same taste there would be no variety. Personally I can't stand Benny Hill or Monty Python, but it can't be denied that they both have a major International following.
Oscar Namechange

FourPart;1461818 wrote: If everyone had the same taste there would be no variety. Personally I can't stand Benny Hill or Monty Python, but it can't be denied that they both have a major International following. Me neither mate... nor The Young One's.

The difference with Robin Williams was his versitality and damn fine acting. So many different characters that he was so convincing In the part.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Lauren Bacall has also passed away. Though I always enjoyed her performances, she also played pretty much the same role in every film.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1461818 wrote: If everyone had the same taste there would be no variety. Personally I can't stand Benny Hill or Monty Python, but it can't be denied that they both have a major International following.

That's the A to Z of it alright.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Then I thought, "Wait a minute, doesn't the Bible say that suicides go to Hell?"

NO they do not! They receive healing and is not the sort of thing anyone who has experienced a suicide would like to be told, especially by the church.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Mark Aspam;1461799 wrote: 1. "Wait a minute, doesn't the Bible say that suicides go to Hell?"

THE BIBLE.

I do believe Christianity does believe that. Catholics can commit any crime and be forgiven once they've received exoneration by way of the confessional but if they've done themselves in ....... it's too late for that.

I'm not sure if Jews believe in Hell, of any sort, but I do know that suicide is a "sin" (if that's the right word for it) and there is a lot of discussion on what it meant for the zealots who (it is said) did just that.

Moslems? I have no idea.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

In the great scheme of things random people not liking recently deceased entertainers and speaking out loud about their apathy concerning their demise means nought.

It is however not the thing to do, in my humble opinion, "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything" my mother used to say.

No doubt about the mans talent, and a tragic loss to his family and the world of entertainment.A man that had so much, but everything he possessed, the acclaim, the awards, wealth and respect was pointless inside his own mind.

About Suicide being selfish
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Well I did some research and It looks like the Bible doesn't say anything about suicides going to Hell.

The Bible and Suicide - What Does Scripture Say?

Whew! I feel much better! Thanks Aura!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1461838 wrote: Well I did some research and It looks like the Bible doesn't say anything about suicides going to Hell.

I am not prepared to debate with you tête-a-tête, however this is the chain of short events as was pounded into my head as a young Catholic:

1). Murder is a mortal sin.

2). Mortal sins un-absolved require the offender to burn in Hell FOREVER.

3). Suicide is considered murder by the Catholic Church - presumably by Christianity as a whole ..... not completely certain.

4). The only way to be exonerated from any sin (both mortal and venial) is by the confessional.

5). Not much chance (as far as I can see) making it to the confessional after you've off'ed yourself.

BOTTOM LINE: Suicide = Hell.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

3). Suicide is considered murder by the Catholic Church - presumably by Christianity as a whole ..... not completely certain.
Therein lies the answer - not according to the Bible itself.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1461844 wrote: I am not prepared to debate with you tête-a-tête, however this is the chain of short events as was pounded into my head as a young Catholic:

4). The only way to be exonerated from any sin (both mortal and venial) is by the confessional.

5). Not much chance (as far as I can see) making it to the confessional after you've off'ed yourself.

Yes, that does seem to be the Catholic stance. However the Bible does not say that.

I have no plans to off myself to test the argument, though.

I think that most who seriously contemplate suicide think themselves already in Hell, so the argument falls short, anyway.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I've been there & been sectioned for it. When at that stage all you want is an 'Off' button.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

High Threshold;1461844 wrote:

Fascinating logical loop. I truly respect your intellectual abilities. I'm very glad you joined this forum.

Now....what if the suicide asked for forgiveness AS they were dying in the hangman's rope? When does the sin attach? At the beginning of the act or the end of it?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1461846 wrote: Therein lies the answer - not according to the Bible itself.

LarsMac;1461848 wrote: ..... the Bible does not say that.

COMMANDMENT NUMBER 6: Thou shalt not kill
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I should mention the Forest of Suicides in Hell as described by Dante, whom many dismiss but whom I take much more seriously. That's where I get a lot of my belief.

According to Dante, and the Angel Virgil, Hell was a way of God's getting your attention if nothing in life would. Kind of like the catatonic in a hotbox who finally said, when they raised the temperature to 120F, "Get me the Hell out of here!"

According to Virgil, there was a way out of Hell for every soul that, if they could not accept God's love, had at least learned to hate evil. All they had to do was approach Satan, pass him (harder than that sounds) and climb to Paradise.

I like the logic of that. A Loving Creator would never truly give up on His creations..
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1461853 wrote: Now....what if the suicide asked for forgiveness AS they were dying in the hangman's rope? When does the sin attach? At the beginning of the act or the end of it?

An excellent point. Battlefield padres exonerate the sins of the dying without the approval of the unconscious & dying him/herself. However, your example seems clear. You cannot be guilty of any crime until it is accomplished.

True, the Catholic Church does exonerate what is called "impure thoughts" and you might argue that the intention to commit a crime would fall into that category. BUT that is a separate sin: The thought vs. the action.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1461851 wrote: I've been there & been sectioned for it. When at that stage all you want is an 'Off' button.

Once that close is one ALWAYS near the threshold forever, or can a measure of distance be achieved?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1461860 wrote: Once that close is one ALWAYS near the threshold forever, or can a measure of distance be achieved?

Yes, one can distance himself from the threshold if he desires to do so.

Once you've made the choice not to take that leap, you can "just walk away."

Though, for some, dancing on the edge has its attraction.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1461854 wrote: COMMANDMENT NUMBER 6: Thou shalt not kill
Exodus 31:15 - Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth [any] work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Hosea 13:16 - Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

1 Samuel 15:3 - Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

etc., etc....
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Sooooo.... "Thou shalt not kill unless God tells you to?"
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

High Threshold;1461844 wrote: [T]his is the chain of short events as was pounded into my head as a young Catholic:

BOTTOM LINE: Suicide = Hell.Well, I don't know who pounded that into your head - pounding is rarely the best form of teaching on ANY subject, with the possible exception of carpentry.

Let's take them one by one:

1. Can't argue with that.

2. That is in God's hands, not man's.

3. That is not true of MODERN Catholicism, suicide is rather considered a mental aberration, and its culpability a matter between God and the deceased.

4. That is not and has NEVER been Catholic teaching. We are forgiven by making a sincere act of contrition along with a firm commitment not to commit the sin again. The advantage of doing so sacramentally (i.e. in the confessional) is that the penitent actually hears the words of absolution from the confessor.

5. This may be splitting hairs, but that's not necessarily true either. What about taking slow poison?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1461892 wrote: Exodus 31:15 - Six days may work be done; but in the seventh [is] the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth [any] work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Hosea 13:16 - Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

1 Samuel 15:3 - Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

etc., etc....

Contradictions are the key to biblical scriptures. Without them peace might reign.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Mark Aspam;1461899 wrote: Let's take them one by one:

Yes, let's.

Mark Aspam;1461899 wrote: 2. That is in God's hands, not man's.

You are aware that the Pope has made changes in what's what - and last I heard he's been determined to be a man.

Mark Aspam;1461899 wrote: 3. That is not true of MODERN Catholicism, suicide is rather considered a mental aberration, and its culpability a matter between God and the deceased.

"MODERN" Catholicism? So is it G_d or is it man who decides? You can't have it both ways. (see above) You might try but I'm not buying it. Hence, I am no longer a Catholic .... or even a Christian. Officially.

Mark Aspam;1461899 wrote: 4. That is not and has NEVER been Catholic teaching. We are forgiven by making a sincere act of contrition along with a firm commitment not to commit the sin again. The advantage of doing so sacramentally (i.e. in the confessional) is that the penitent actually hears the words of absolution from the confessor.

I don't think you're qualified to say that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, I suspect even the clergy would put up a good argument against it, in many cases. How would you know the number of "Our Fathers, Hail Marys, and Glory bes" that would be sufficient in cleansing your soul, without the judgement of the priest? In any case, purgatory has its function.

Mark Aspam;1461899 wrote: 5. This may be splitting hairs, but that's not necessarily true either. What about taking slow poison?

Have you already realized the silliness of that statement? Dead is dead. Dying is dying. No same thing, man.

ANYWAY, although your input is appreciated you haven't really addressed the link between Murder & Suicide and the Catholic Church's teachings on punishment regarding mortal sin and Hell.
Aura

Post by Aura »

"If you can't say anything good, don't say anything"

True, we've had a suicide in the family so I know the pain it entails. If the bible says they are going to hell, then it's no wonder I've turn to spiritualism because we know different, and suicide's don't go to hell.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

So, would volunteering for a mission in the forces, say, knowing that there would be no return also be classed as a mortal sin as far as it being suicide?

John 15:13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1461919 wrote: So, would volunteering for a mission in the forces, say, knowing that there would be no return also be classed as a mortal sin as far as it being suicide?

John 15:13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Putting oneself in harm's way for the benefit of others has (in the "right" circumstances) been called "the Christian thing to do." Odd that we don't regard Islamist, suicide bombers the same reverence! However, the example you give is in no way the same as turning the gun round and pulling the trigger. You aren't going to claim you didn't already realize that. Are you?
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1461917 wrote: True, we've had a suicide in the family so I know the pain it entails. If the bible says they are going to hell, then it's no wonder I've turn to spiritualism because we know different, and suicide's don't go to hell.

There's many people who wonder why someone like Robin Williams would take his own life when he had so much. A loving family, fame, wealth etc etc but people who've never suffered from severe depression just don't realise that one of the most common trian of thoughts In the sufferer Is that the world and their family Is better off without them. They believe they are dragging their loved one's Into their mire.

Religion just muddy's the waters.

I remember when my Fathers remains were buried, a few weeks later the plot next to him went to a chap who had hung himself. My eldest brothers wife, an extremely judgemental know It all just flipped out. She believed that he shouldn't even been able to have a grave let alone next to her FIL. She made a right old fuss. It was so embarrassing. She kept banging on about his selfishness while failing to understand that to the sufferer, they believe at the time, they are doing their family a huge service by their being better off without them.

I hate religion In suicide. Until you've walked a mile In their shoe's, how can anyone possibly judge?

Return to “General Chit Chat”