Some reporters need a reality check.

Fact is stranger than fiction.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

So far as I'm concerned this should have been a story about a man who was willing to do what it took to take care of his family. That is nothing to be embarrassed about. That is something he and his family should be proud of.

Former NBA Player David Harrison Admits He Worked at McDonald's After Retirement | Bleacher Report
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

flopstock;1475989 wrote: So far as I'm concerned this should have been a story about a man who was willing to do what it took to take care of his family. That is nothing to be embarrassed about. That is something he and his family should be proud of.

I agree, and it is a pompous article from the very start with the headline reading “Former NBA Player David Harrison ADMITS He Worked at McDonald's After Retirement”. As if it's a shame on him personally. The “shame” (if that's what it is) is on the system that places citizens on a category of success and underachievement, not on the individual. "Proud" of it/him? Yes, I think so.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Shame of working for a living? Certainly not. Shame of having frittered away so much money. Definitely. The interest alone on that amount could have provided a comfortable enough income for most people.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I see it a little different. A lot of the younger crowd these days have the notion that working in fast food is for losers. And that sports is the way out of the dreary life.

This article seems aimed at reminding them to take care of the business at hand. Complete your education and make it count for something.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1475996 wrote: Shame of working for a living? Certainly not. Shame of having frittered away so much money. Definitely. The interest alone on that amount could have provided a comfortable enough income for most people.

Darn skippy. I was aghast that 4 million dollars could disappear that quickly. Education is right. Financial literacy in particular should have been a priority for this man. It is a shame article. Shame on the man for not getting educated. Oh, and it's a cautionary tale for us all on living outside your means as well.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”