Windows 10 Coming?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by Lon »

I guess Windows ate 9
spot

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by spot »

Scheduled to be released on July 29. "During its first year of availability, upgrades to Windows 10 will be offered at no charge for consumer users of genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1".

I've no idea why it even has a number at all, they ought to just call it "Windows®" and have done with the nonsense of releases altogether.

I did buy an 8.1 license at some stage so I could, I suppose, even upgrade whatever it was I installed it on. The advantage of 8.1 was that I could still make it look and behave at the GUI level pretty close to Windows 2000, and it was important at the time that I did.

Perhaps Microsoft wanted to avoid confusion with Windows 95 and 98. Maybe they didn't want to be left behind by OSX. I have no desire to use either but my desktop is, at the moment, an iBox of some description - I forget its name - because it has a 27" retina display. It must have OSX on it somewhere but I use it with Slackware.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I have several Win 7 PCs, and one 8.1.

I suppose I will DL at least one, maybe two of them quickly, and see how it does.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by gmc »

I really need to try linux properly. Toyesd with the idea of building my own computer and using linux but economically at least on the face of it windows makes sense. I dislike the way it tries to make you use micrsoft programmes as defaulkt. New computer I hade to register using a microsoft outlook e-mail address regardless of whether I can actually use it or not - at least they can;t send me spam e-mail;.
Bruv

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1480116 wrote: I really need to try linux properly. Toyesd with the idea of building my own computer and using linux but economically at least on the face of it windows makes sense. I dislike the way it tries to make you use micrsoft programmes as defaulkt. New computer I hade to register using a microsoft outlook e-mail address regardless of whether I can actually use it or not - at least they can;t send me spam e-mail;.

You don't need to build your own.

Stop faffing about and buy a cheapo laptop or PC or one a family members throwing out, and stick one of many Linux OS on it.

For somebody with a mind of your own you have left toying with this far too long.

How can a free to use system be less economical than an arm and a leg job from Microsoft ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by Snowfire »

I run Windows 7 and yesterday I discovered an icon in my taskbar inviting me to "get Windows 10"

I haven't clicked on it yet. I'm saving the click for a rainy day.

Actually I just did and have reserved my upgrade
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by spot »

More bandwidth than sense, people these days. Here's me struggling to get so much as the BBC's news homepage in text-only mode over my tethered 3G THL phone (an obscure Chinese start-up called "Technology Happy Life" whose prices are very reasonable) while others commit themselves to as many bits as would download David Tennant reeding the entire bible, old and new testaments AND the apocrypha, in stereo at CD quality, FIVE HUNDRED TIMES!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by FourPart »

As I understand it, Windows 9 was orignially planned to be a remodelling of W8. However, with the disaster that was W8 it was decided to scrap that idea altogether.

Whether W10 returns to the tried & tested basic formula which has been the overall foundation of Windows ever since the days of 3.1 remains to be seen. If it works, don't fix it.
spot

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by spot »

Windows 3.1 was a dreadful product - did you never hear of the Blue Screen Of Death? That came directly from Microsoft's design decision to allow badly-written third-party drivers to run with Kernel permissions. I don't remember getting through a single day without at least one BSOD crash wiping out my most recent keystrokes. Since Vista came out I don't remember seeing one at all.

Windows 8, like Vista, had some vile defaults at install time, but both were easily reconfigured to provide excellent service within the Microsoft model. Personally I prefer to use a free open source operating system but that's a matter of taste and philosophy. Microsoft created the modern world and I'm grateful to them for doing that. The only Windows version which was just plain calamitous was ME, I'm told - I never saw it myself. And Windows 2 which was unusable and ran my office desktop for a couple of years, that was a mess.
LarsMac

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by LarsMac »

Windows 3.1 was basically an application called up from DOS, and running on top of the OS. With DOS 6.2.2, it was quite stable.

Even Windows 95 and 98 were basically the same. They were running off a DOS 6.x and DOS 7.x OS platform.

Window NT was the first basically true Windows Operating system. It was pretty stable, and I know a few companies who are still using NT for rather critical internal server applications.

The reason you don't see BSODs anymore is because MS got rid if them.

When the OS gets wrapped around the axle, these days, you see a whole different behavior.

But true, Win 7 has proved quite stable, and easily recovers from application failures.

Windows 8.1 seems stable enough. My grandkids beats his to death with his games, and it seldom seems to complain. The Wife HATES it. She wants me to get rid of 8.1 and bring back XP. I am thinking of reformatting her laptop, with Linux, and a VM with XP for her to play on.

This rig I am using now is already queued up for installing Windows 10, as soon as it releases. I'll see how that goes.

We'll see. I expect Windows 10 to be a lot like the Windows Server 2012. I can't say I really like the UI, but the nuts and bolts of the thing seem pretty tight.

I will have a repair disk for this OS ready and waiting.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by FourPart »

You do stll get the BSOD only not as often.

Love it or loathe it, Microsoft has revoutionised Home Computing, as well the Commercial side of things because of its User Friendliness & Compatibility.
spot

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1480199 wrote: The Wife HATES it. She wants me to get rid of 8.1 and bring back XP. I am thinking of reformatting her laptop, with Linux, and a VM with XP for her to play on.

If you set it to boot directly to the desktop, disable ribbons and present the classic menu and quickstart buttons, 8.1 looks so like XP you'd not know without checking.

I seem to remember I disabled the ESC going to the Apps screen too. You don't ever ever want to end up there.
Saint_

Windows 10 Coming?

Post by Saint_ »

I put my Mac in the Air like I just don't care...

Return to “General Chit Chat”