What are you listening to right now

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It is really about time that a decent track became the Christmas No.1 in the UK charts !

It is a fund raising track sung by the NHS (National Health Service) Choir. An effective and moving rendition of a mix of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Art Garfunkel, and Coldplay's "Fix You". Glad to say it beat it's nearest competition - Justin Bieber !

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1490923 wrote: I've got an obsession today with redbirds. I always thought this song was "Pretty Redbird" and my mother sang it a lot. Now that I know it's "Pretty Redwing" I wonder if she heard her mother-in-law, who had a lot of Indian blood and was a very good singer, sing it? I remember my grandmother sitting me beside her in the pew at church and singing hymns in her beautiful soprano voice. I was about 2 years old.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_yl ... pe=sbc_dsl

An old fellow that worked with my Grandpa played that some times on his fiddle.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Been listening to this gentlemen, today.

One of my favorites.

- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1490964 wrote: An old fellow that worked with my Grandpa played that some times on his fiddle.

So did my grandpa and uncles, fiddles and guitars, when they played for Saturday night dances. Your grandpa didn't live in Kansas by any chance did he? :guitarist

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1490965 wrote: Been listening to this gentlemen, today.

One of my favorites.

That is cool! Thanks for posting it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1490966 wrote: So did my grandpa and uncles, fiddles and guitars, when they played for Saturday night dances. Your grandpa didn't live in Kansas by any chance did he? :guitarist

[/url]

Nope. He worked the oil fields in OK and Kansas in the 20s and 30s, but when I knew him, he was back working the family farm North Carolina.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Another one of Gareth Malone's productions that is truly inspiring...

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1490977 wrote: Another one of Gareth Malone's productions that is truly inspiring...

That is AMAZING! Thanks so much for posting.
Silas Mackey

Post by Silas Mackey »

Listening religious songs using my device. I enjoyed it to hear some religious songs on the morning.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Listening to an artist that had almost disappeared from my memory. I've no idea how Stomu Yamashta released himself from the dark recesses of my brain but he suddenly popped out from nowhere.

A leading light in the early 70's and still sounds good.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

That sure is psychedelic sound, snowfire. Can only listen to a few minutes now, but will definitely come back to it. I can't remember Stomu Yamashta. I will be looking him up. Thanks.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

AnneBoleyn;1494218 wrote: That sure is psychedelic sound, snowfire. Can only listen to a few minutes now, but will definitely come back to it. I can't remember Stomu Yamashta. I will be looking him up. Thanks.

Some of his stuff was a bit "spacey" and psychedelic ( check out ) but much of it has jazz influences. A fine musician who played with fellow fine musicians. He was huge for a short spell in the early seventies but sort of mingled into the background.

I'm pretty sure Spot is familiar with his work. I'd be suprised if he weren't.

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

What a lovely album.

In the comments section of this YouTube video, it was suggested that there was an error in the pressing process and side 1 and side 2 were arse about face. Still enjoyable this way around

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Deep & Chilled Euphoria...Mixed by Red Jerry. A favourite of mine from about 2000. A stunning mix of chilled Electronica. This is CD 2 of 2.

Goosebumps !

Winston Churchill
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

My new favorite band: American Wrestlers

There a very cool lo-fi band and I'm not sure why, but I can't get their songs out of my head!

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Haven't heard this for a long time.....Faith Healer...The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

A favourite from the early seventies. Back Street Luv...Curved Air

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I heard this guy a few times. He is from Australia.

I rather like his work.

- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm wondering if that comment also refers to a copy I still have of the Napolean IV, "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Ha". The 'B' side is literally a mirror image of the 'A' side so it sounds (and may well be) like it's being played backwards.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I keep watching "Whiplash" over and over again, so I'm listening to jazz right now...

and I'm glad someone besides me still listens to Alan Parsons!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Actually, Mr. Saint, I think Alan Parsons is a brilliant writer. Some of his tracks are classics !

I'm afraid I can't listen to your Tarova, as it won't let me, even clicking the YouTube button won't let me ! Maybe not available in the UK ?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

This! I just got finished dancing to this 3 times at the Moose Lodge.

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1495192 wrote:

Good choice Gill..well, both of them really

Winston Churchill
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Saint_;1495195 wrote: I keep watching "Whiplash" over and over again, so I'm listening to jazz right now...

and I'm glad someone besides me still listens to Alan Parsons!

Tarova--SUPER! :-6
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Snowfire;1495210 wrote: Good choice Gill..well, both of them really

Beautiful and soul-stirring. Look at all the emotion in his audience--men and women!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just for a bit of a :yh_giggle

Apparently, during an interview just after the release of this record, Bill Maynard admitted that the song was recorded in one take - because he would never have managed to have done any more !!!! :yh_rotfl

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I love Alan Parsons' music, but I think this is my favourite. Not only because of it being one of his, but because of it actually being sung by another favourite group of mine - The Flying Pickets - the only track I've ever known them to do with instrumentation (I even wrote an SATB arrangement of it):

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The Invictus Choir's Single, "Flesh & Blood" is finally out. The song itself is moving enough, but if you've also watched the 2 "Gareth's Invictus Choir", following its progress from beginning to end, it's even more so (check them out on iPlayer). Both the Words & Music were written by the choir themselves - a compilation of poems, based on their own feelings & experiences.

To see the progress of the choir from start to finish is absolutely amazing, and you just wouldn't have believed it possible - especially in such a short time span. In my opinion, this is Gareth's greatest success story ever, and something he's going to be very difficult to top.

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1495799 wrote: The Invictus Choir's Single, "Flesh & Blood" is finally out. The song itself is moving enough, but if you've also watched the 2 "Gareth's Invictus Choir", following its progress from beginning to end, it's even more so (check them out on iPlayer). Both the Words & Music were written by the choir themselves - a compilation of poems, based on their own feelings & experiences.

To see the progress of the choir from start to finish is absolutely amazing, and you just wouldn't have believed it possible - especially in such a short time span. In my opinion, this is Gareth's greatest success story ever, and something he's going to be very difficult to top.

It doesn't seem to be available in my country. I'm sure it's excellent.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I think we will see more of this young lady. Apparently she's already been on "Tonight at the London Paladium" a week ago, so here's hoping that she is called back again..................and again ! Hayley Moss, from Norfolk.

Her debut CD album is out now and can be bought via her website.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hey Zap maybe this will be getable ? Perhaps you could find it on YouTube, under the title Flesh and Blood by the Invictus Choir - choirmaster Gareth Malone. It is a very moving piece of music and I personally hope it is a number one hit, which I'm sure it will be if it isn't already !. The song in it's entirety comes at 5.20 mins. of this video - filmed at the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games a couple of weeks ago..........you can click on the YouTube logo - bottom right of the picture frame.

i think Gareth Malone should be knighted for all he has done for fund-raising over the years, for different charities, with music.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Brilliant version of The Sound of Silence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That was a very good cover of the Simon & Garfunkel song. Usually I find that nothing is ever better than the original version of a song, but with this version, as it is a different orchestration I'm a little torn. Still don't know how I feel about the David Draiman of Disturbed's version, except that perhaps the more dramatic development as the song progressed has added to the meaning of the song.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I just hope that this young man isn't spoiled so much that he becomes impossible. Such an amazing talent at 3 years of age - remarkable.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1495992 wrote: Hey Zap maybe this will be getable ? Perhaps you could find it on YouTube, under the title Flesh and Blood by the Invictus Choir - choirmaster Gareth Malone. It is a very moving piece of music and I personally hope it is a number one hit, which I'm sure it will be if it isn't already !. The song in it's entirety comes at 5.20 mins. of this video - filmed at the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games a couple of weeks ago..........you can click on the YouTube logo - bottom right of the picture frame.

i think Gareth Malone should be knighted for all he has done for fund-raising over the years, for different charities, with music.
Even that one's disabled by the owner.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1496019 wrote: That was a very good cover of the Simon & Garfunkel song. Usually I find that nothing is ever better than the original version of a song, but with this version, as it is a different orchestration I'm a little torn. Still don't know how I feel about the David Draiman of Disturbed's version, except that perhaps the more dramatic development as the song progressed has added to the meaning of the song.

I agree totally--the first time I heard this song was standing in the lobby of a theater in Youngstown, Ohio waiting for the midnight sneak preview of The Graduate. I think I have every album, CD, etc., that S&G made and ones that they made after splitting up. When my daughter sent me this link, I thought, "There is no way I'm going to like this version!" Heavy Metal? Ugh! But as I listened to how DD developed it, I felt the same way you did
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1496027 wrote: Even that one's disabled by the owner.

I got he same thing but it added . ."in YOUR country" :( I don't feel so left out now.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Rammstein!
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1496019 wrote: That was a very good cover of the Simon & Garfunkel song. Usually I find that nothing is ever better than the original version of a song, but with this version, as it is a different orchestration I'm a little torn. Still don't know how I feel about the David Draiman of Disturbed's version, except that perhaps the more dramatic development as the song progressed has added to the meaning of the song.

I think it's an excellent cover. Draiman has a fine voice and the emotion comes through very well.

Winston Churchill
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Is this one working outside the country?

Gareth Malone & The Invictus Games Choir - 'Flesh And Blood' | Big Top 40
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1496061 wrote: Is this one working outside the country?

Gareth Malone & The Invictus Games Choir - 'Flesh And Blood' | Big Top 40

Nope.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I was wondering if you Googled it your end if something would come up? Keywords - Invictus, Flesh, Blood.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1496064 wrote: I was wondering if you Googled it your end if something would come up? Keywords - Invictus, Flesh, Blood.

I tried that. It said WARNING-serious security risk, all my identity ( credit cards, phone numbers, passwords, etc.) could be at risk. I bailed out immediately. I don't think I want to hear Flesh and Blood that badly.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'm so sorry that you can't get the Invictus choir with Gareth Malone, Zap. That's weird having that warning thrown up ! Who would be so low as to use that song in order to steal from people ! It beggars belief ! Strange how it should be just in America, as it seems to be OK in the UK ! Somebody doesn't want the Invictus Organisation to get any money to help those brilliant wounded forces men and women. What a sad state those bastards have to be in, to even think of doing such a mean, wicked thing. I hope they get caught.

It was such a moving , extremely emotional piece, and rather remarkable in that they had only 6 weeks to write words and music and learn all the parts, and for Gareth Malone to do all the musical arrangement. Perhaps you may be able to download it ? I don't know whether there is an actual CD available to buy, I hope so because we'd love a copy. I don't particularly want to download this track - I won't be able to play it on our terrific car stereo system !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Perhaps this song by Hans Zimmer will help to soothe the frustration and anger ?

Return to “General Music”