What do you think of Barcelona?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Doranta

Post by Doranta »

Hello All

I found this interesting exchange home deal for barcelona at go digging.com and as i have 2months off my job i am really thinking of doing it! But do you have any good advices for Barcelona?

Thank you all in advance!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Welcome to the Garden.

Advice for Barcelona is to go - beautiful city.

By the looks of the offer you need a place in Manhattan for the swap but you're somewhere in Thessalonica - how does that work?
Doranta

Post by Doranta »

Yes, i can see that, but i am thinking of offering my place in Thessaloniki.Maybe he can accept my offer! i have nothing to loose ;o)
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I have now been to Barcelona twice and look forward to going back. It is a fantastic city and I highly recommend it.
FG-administator

Post by FG-administator »

Doranta;1411079 wrote: Yes, i can see that, but i am thinking of offering my place in Thessaloniki.Maybe he can accept my offer! i have nothing to loose ;o)

If you do offer yours on the site, put a link into the thread here - who knows, I might enjoy a break in the sun. Does Thessaloniki have sunshine? Museums?

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
alberto65

Post by alberto65 »

About 50 kilometers, there is one of the most amazing "must see" locations in the of The country. That is the monastery at Montserrat. There will be a lot of trips going there. It is an amazing day out. Create sure you have a lot of area on your photographic camera.
Link removed by moderator
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

alberto65;1413092 wrote: About 50 kilometers, there is one of the most amazing "must see" locations in the of The country. That is the monastery at Montserrat. There will be a lot of trips going there. It is an amazing day out. Create sure you have a lot of area on your photographic camera.

Very well worth a visit and an easy train journey from the city. The cable car ride up from the station is spectacular too.
FG-administator

Bryn Mawr;1413105 wrote: Very well worth a visit and an easy train journey from the city. The cable car ride up from the station is spectacular too.

Blimey. That makes three of us got to the top - you, me and Napoleon.

☎|||||||||||

Dreamerguy

Post by Dreamerguy »

My wife have also been considering a vacation to Barcelona. However, some people have been telling us that the crime rate has increased considerably. Others say that it is not a problem and just like any big city, you just have to be aware of your surroundings. Is crime in Barcelona worse than other European cities?
Týr

Post by Týr »

Dreamerguy;1431294 wrote: Is crime in Barcelona worse than other European cities?I just googled to see what the waters told me and according to the Web, yes. I note this click to Yahoo, for example.

I'm not surprised the opinion is rampant but in all my travels abroad, Barcelona included, and the travels of all my children abroad, Barcelona included, nothing untoward has ever happened. Perhaps street thieves home in on loud Americans like wasps to honey, I'm sure I would if I lived off the proceeds of crime.

I once had my pockets rifled but that was sheer careless behavior on my part at 2am leaving a pub in my home city with a problem woman in tow. One of my sons did much the same in London except without the woman. Neither event was tourism related. The trick on holiday is not to be loud and not to flaunt hardware, fat wallets or brash ways.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
stacyjmes1

Post by stacyjmes1 »

alberto65;1413092 wrote: About 50 kilometers, there is one of the most amazing "must see" locations in the of The country. That is the monastery at Montserrat. There will be a lot of trips going there. It is an amazing day out. Create sure you have a lot of area on your photographic camera.

Thanks for sharing this information. :)
Ronald_50

Post by Ronald_50 »

Barcelona is one of the one must see places on Earth.
brightlikeme

Post by brightlikeme »

Barcelona................I have seen on net is definitely a beautiful place.......
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

As with many of the Spanish & other Mediterranean holiday resorts, from what I've heard it's not much more than a British Colony.
bungabuket

Post by bungabuket »

Bar ca football club only too
[signature removed]
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Doranta;1411075 wrote: What do you think of Barcelona?

Over-rated.
FG-administator

High Threshold;1471688 wrote: Over-rated.

By whom? There's a ratings body I've missed finding?

If it's a matter of expressed opinions by visitors as opposed to tourism or quality-of-life evaluators, some over-rate (Wildly magnificent in all respects!) and some under-rate (I wouldn't even use the place as a jail for war criminals!). Why do you focus on the over-raters? The trick is to be fair and objective, preferably using informative sentences.

☎|||||||||||

kazalala

Post by kazalala »

My sister just came back from a short break there and loved it, shes already planning another visit there :) Some of the pics she toook were great showing some amazing buildings

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FG;1471698 wrote: By whom? There's a ratings body I've missed finding?

If it's a matter of expressed opinions by visitors as opposed to tourism or quality-of-life evaluators, some over-rate (Wildly magnificent in all respects!) and some under-rate (I wouldn't even use the place as a jail for war criminals!). Why do you focus on the over-raters? The trick is to be fair and objective, preferably using informative sentences.

I have travelled a lot. That is to say that I have been "everywhere" but for south America. I've done it all overland, whenever possible. The traveller's grapevine is what it is. I am being "fair and objective". I've heard what other travellers have had to say and I've been to Barcelona myself. Are these 6 sentences informative enough?
FG-administator

High Threshold;1471703 wrote: I have travelled a lot. That is to say that I have been "everywhere" but for south America. I've done it all overland, whenever possible. The traveller's grapevine is what it is. I am being "fair and objective". I've heard what other travellers have had to say and I've been to Barcelona myself. Are these 6 sentences informative enough?It's an interesting background from which to form an evaluation, all that's missing now is your experience of the attractions and repulsive aspects of Barcelona.

I, for instance, am fascinated by the area on which the Romans founded their colony in the first place, around 200BC. There are spaces with walkways where the pre-Christian city houses and shops are exposed, there are few places like it anywhere else in Europe outside of Rome itself, Pompeii and Herculaneum. The overlay of the current street-plan on the medieval city attracts me. I can think of few art museums comparable to that which displays Picasso's artistic development. Nobody attempted to steal my wallet, my camera or my children.

☎|||||||||||

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FG;1471707 wrote: It's an interesting background from which to form an evaluation, all that's missing now is your experience of the attractions and repulsive aspects of Barcelona.

Not this soon after eating my din.

FG;1471707 wrote: I, for instance, am fascinated by the area on which the Romans founded their colony in the first place, around 200BC. There are spaces with walkways where the pre-Christian city houses and shops are exposed, there are few places like it anywhere else in Europe outside of Rome itself, Pompeii and Herculaneum. The overlay of the current street-plan on the medieval city attracts me. I can think of few art museums comparable to that which displays Picasso's artistic development. Nobody attempted to steal my wallet, my camera or my children.

Well! I think I'll have to change my mind about the place! All I did in Barcelona was chase skirt up and down the Ramblas.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1471709 wrote: Not this soon after eating my din.

Well! I think I'll have to change my mind about the place! All I did in Barcelona was chase skirt up and down the Ramblas.

Been twice and the Ramblas is a tourist hotspot to be avoided. The rest of the place is wonderful :-6
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1471710 wrote: Been twice and the Ramblas is a tourist hotspot to be avoided. The rest of the place is wonderful :-6

Good to know for next time! :)
Matt50

Post by Matt50 »

It's a nice city. You should go there.
MaskReedy

Post by MaskReedy »

I would love to visit Barcelona too. Maybe next summer. Barcelona is full of history, its really interesting there.
ecyor12

Post by ecyor12 »

Barcelona is a huge city with several district articles containing sightseeing, restaurant, nightlife and accommodation listings have a look at each of them.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I've only seen Barcelona from a bus taking us from the airport to the port where we boarded a ship and set sail for France. But the guide pointed out several very interesting sites that made me want to go back and spend some time there.
spot

Post by spot »

I hope you manage to get there. It's wonderful to see you, too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Hello Zap, welcome back.

Yes, do get back to Barcelona, I'd go there a third time if I could! Still not seen it all, fascinating place.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thought it was spelt Barthelona :yh_wink
spot

Post by spot »

Fawlty Towers has a lot to answer for.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1477684 wrote: Fawlty Towers has a lot to answer for.

One of my all-time favorite shows! Who said that, Basil or Manuel? I thought it was my seventh grade Spanish teacher, Senora Applebaum!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

AnneBoleyn;1477686 wrote: One of my all-time favorite shows! Who said that, Basil or Manuel? I thought it was my seventh grade Spanish teacher, Senora Applebaum!
It was Manuel - although the actor who played him was actually German - which gives rise to that other Fawlty Towers line - "Don't Mention The War!!!"
Vera

Post by Vera »

Anadalucia seems to me much more authentic
minks

Post by minks »

I am late coming in here to answer the original question (like years too late) but had to put down my 2 cents worth.

5 years ago Jr Minks and I went to Barcelona, we rented a holiday apartment and fell in love with the city. It had everything we wanted. Yep we never left good old Barca for the full 2 weeks. I can't wait to go back. We had shopping, history, exploring, night life, the beach, Museums, Artisans. Oh it was lovely. I have to laugh about the crime rate, I come from a big city, you learn to be street smart. Barcelona's crime pales in comparison to crime here never did we feel unsafe as 2 tourist women. I say thumbs up.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Minks revisited;1497136 wrote: I am late coming in here to answer the original question (like years too late) but had to put down my 2 cents worth.

5 years ago Jr Minks and I went to Barcelona, we rented a holiday apartment and fell in love with the city. It had everything we wanted. Yep we never left good old Barca for the full 2 weeks. I can't wait to go back. We had shopping, history, exploring, night life, the beach, Museums, Artisans. Oh it was lovely. I have to laugh about the crime rate, I come from a big city, you learn to be street smart. Barcelona's crime pales in comparison to crime here never did we feel unsafe as 2 tourist women. I say thumbs up.

Next FG meet up, Barcelona, Park Guell ;)
spot

Post by spot »

Minks revisited;1497136 wrote: I come from a big city, you learn to be street smart.

I drove through it once headed East, it's a pretty town on the way down a mountain surrounded by an awful lot of trees!
minks

Post by minks »

oh Betty now that would be amazing, :) Honestly there is something for everyone there ;) Ok maybe not to many cowboys lol

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

Where is it you speak of Spot, Barcelona, or My home town?

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

Your home town. Barcelona quite likely has the same population as your entire province unless you include your trees too.
minks

Post by minks »

lol, well true ;)

We love our tree's here.

Mind you if you head north our trees are all burning in forest fires.

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

We've watched the news coverage over here, it was shocking. I hope your admirable new Trudeau has thrown government money into rebuilding.
minks

Post by minks »

Do you like our PM Trudeau?

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

Who could fail to. He's civilized.
minks

Post by minks »

argh he is a buffoon IMHO

He is just like his late father, Anti Western Canada.

But this is a travel thread and I should bite my tongue or I may be on some kind of terrorist hit list lol

― Mae West

Return to “Travel Vacation”