What Is A Good Age To Retire?

Lon

Post by Lon »

I always planned to retire before age 60 and did so at age 58. I waited until age 62 to take a company pension and Social Security. From age 58 till then I lived on investment income. I am quite comfortable now with The pension & Social Security and do not need at this point to use investments for anything. From age 58 until just two years ago I was able to take seven cruises on different size ships to many parts of the world, do considerable scuba diving, own a home in New Zealand, play lots of golf and live a very active life style.

It's all in the planning and I have no regrets other than wishing I was 20 years younger so I could enjoy it all over again. BTW I am using some of my investments to establish UTMA accounts for my four great grand children, soon to be five.
gmc

Post by gmc »

When you can afford it. Thanks to party politics my retirement age has been pushed back to age 67 before i get the state pension I have paid in to for over forty years.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Well thanks for starting this thread, because I could use some ideas and views myself.

My situation: I am approaching 25 years of education which means I can retire with the maximum. The problem? I'm still young. I'm only 56. What to do afterwards? Get fat and bored?

Then there's the fact that I probably couldn't live at the same level on just my retirement. In about 7 years, I can get Social Security and between that and my pension, I'll be OK. So I really think I should continue working.

Then there's my wife's health. She's hade a heart attack, stroke, multiple surgeries, pulmonary embolism, and her leg amputated. She can't have too many good years left. Shouldn't I try to spend some time with her while I can?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I don't think there even 'is' a good age. It's different for everyone. When I was working for the National Careers Service I came across a bloke in his 80s looking for advice on a Career Change. He certainly had no intentions of retiring. On the other hand, I have also come across those who look forward to their Early Retirements - people who are even younger than me (56). Although I've been notified that my State Retirement age will be 66, I don't foresee me collecting my pension then. Of course things may change by then. I may not even be here by then. I think that once you start to see yourself as a 'Pensioner', then that is the time when you start to give up on yourself.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1497669 wrote: I don't think there even 'is' a good age. It's different for everyone. When I was working for the National Careers Service I came across a bloke in his 80s looking for advice on a Career Change. He certainly had no intentions of retiring. On the other hand, I have also come across those who look forward to their Early Retirements - people who are even younger than me (56). Although I've been notified that my State Retirement age will be 66, I don't foresee me collecting my pension then. Of course things may change by then. I may not even be here by then. I think that once you start to see yourself as a 'Pensioner', then that is the time when you start to give up on yourself.

Two different concepts I think - I am retired but I don't see myself as a pensioner in any way.

Look at Lon - he's been retired for years and is past pension age but is still going strong with an activity level many still in work would envy.

Return to “Societal Issues News”