The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1497838 wrote: What a talented musician, Zap ! Sorry but I couldn't find a video of him playing the flute ! :(
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

This is the original version of a song by a band I knew in Tempe Arizona, the lead guitarist killed himself, sadly and they brought in a corporate clone. Check the difference:

Here's the new version:

Doug was a great guy and a remarkable talent, but an out-of-control alcoholic.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks FourPart, finding David Van Such playing the flute. I must have just whizzed past that ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1497838 wrote: Just for those who are not familiar with this musician !

What a talented musician, Zap ! Sorry but I couldn't find a video of him playing the flute ! :(

Thanks for putting that up there, Gill. I've been following David for a long time and he always tells the audience, "Mary Jane's in the house. She drove over 300 miles to see us." This time he said, "Mary Jane just flew in from Kansas City to catch our act." He always plays When A Man Loves A Woman for me and Europa. It's fantastic!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

FourPart;1497844 wrote:

Thanks FourPart! David was trained in classical music before he began doing the nightclubs in Las Vegas. I've never seen that combination before of (Great) saxophone, violin & flute.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1497840 wrote: Zap, I've come to the conclusion that you have a very large percentage of gypsy in you!

:driving: :yh_rotfl :-6

Maybe. I've known that there was Hungarian mixed in there and this Ancestry.com thingy that my daughter gave me for Mother's Day turned up some Greek and other Eastern European, along with a lot of English, Irish, German, Scots, Dutch, etc. I know some of my ancestors were pioneers;shipbuilders in Germany, going out West with Daniel Boone's party, Indians on the Trail Of Tears, etc.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1497886 wrote: Maybe. I've known that there was Hungarian mixed in there and this Ancestry.com thingy that my daughter gave me for Mother's Day turned up some Greek and other Eastern European, along with a lot of English, Irish, German, Scots, Dutch, etc. I know some of my ancestors were pioneers;shipbuilders in Germany, going out West with Daniel Boone's party, Indians on the Trail Of Tears, etc.

That is fascinating, Zap. Were you related in any way to the Indians on the Trail of Tears ?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Gill,

Popping in to say hello to you. Hope you are doing well and enjoying life xx

Hope to being on more in FG
minks

Post by minks »

Oh ZAP that is interesting,

I too have some Hungarian Gypsy in my mix, my father is Hungarian.

My brother and I also have some Irish, English, Scottish, and of all the oddities American in the mix as well. I wish we know more about our great grandma from the good old USA. She was not Native American, but just plain American, nobody knows further back than that.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

Helloooo Kathy Ellen,

Minks waves heartily.

― Mae West
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1497889 wrote: That is fascinating, Zap. Were you related in any way to the Indians on the Trail of Tears ?

My great grandmother was a little girl on the Trail. I don't know if she was an orphan or had parent(s) with her. My father and his sisters didn't like to talk about their Indian heritage, in fact my aunt Christina wouldn't talk about it other than to say that when they visited her grandmother she was "sitting on the porch, smoking a corncob pipe and looked like an Indian squaw." When I pressed her for more information she said, "That's in the past--I don't want to talk about it." What a shame. My father did say that there was another tribe in our lineage and he thought it might be Blackfoot." I don't know where he got that idea. My mother told me that her mother-in-law got a letter once, telling her that if she went to Oklahoma and proved up on the land that she was entitled to, what I thought she said was, 160 acres. I might be wrong on the amount. They were very poor people and had no way to go to OK. So . . .
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

ZAP;1497940 wrote: My great grandmother was a little girl on the Trail..

That's makes you part Navajo, doesn't it? Yah-ta-hey Shkiss! (Hello, friend!) I'm honorary Toadachenee Clan.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Minks revisited;1497930 wrote: Oh ZAP that is interesting,

I too have some Hungarian Gypsy in my mix, my father is Hungarian.

My brother and I also have some Irish, English, Scottish, and of all the oddities American in the mix as well. I wish we know more about our great grandma from the good old USA. She was not Native American, but just plain American, nobody knows further back than that.

Minks I would encourage you to find out as much info as you can. I am so sorry that more of my relatives didn't talk about what they knew. On my dad's side a cousin of his did extensive research, going back to NY., PA., Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, etc and delved into court records, newspaper articles, graveyards, any and all sources that they could find and she came up with a great deal of info--documented.

Maybe our Hungarian ancestors danced around the same Gypsy campfire.
minks

Post by minks »

LOL or knowing my family we stole your pig and ran ;)

― Mae West
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Saint_;1497941 wrote: That's makes you part Navajo, doesn't it? Yah-ta-hey Shkiss! (Hello, friend!) I'm honorary Toadachenee Clan.

Osiyo..(I had to look that up) Actually it's Cherokee. Toadachenee? Where were they located?

I've been to some very interesting Native American seminars and met some interesting people, among them Sacheen Littlefeather. She rejected the Oscar for Marlon Brando at the Oscars, which he won for The Godfather. This was done in protest of the Wounded Knee atrocities and treatment of Native Americans. This was a very brave thing for her to do, amid catcalls and boos. I hope to see her when I'm in Northern California.

Marlon Brando's Oscar® win for " The Godfather"
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Minks revisited;1497948 wrote: LOL or knowing my family we stole your pig and ran ;)

That's ok. We probably had stolen it from somebody else before you stole it from us! :sneaky:
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Saint_;1497941 wrote: That's makes you part Navajo, doesn't it? Yah-ta-hey Shkiss! (Hello, friend!) I'm honorary Toadachenee Clan.

Are the Navajo still matriarchal?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I don't know, Wandrin, but no doubt Zap may be able to help on that one.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1497940 wrote: My great grandmother was a little girl on the Trail. I don't know if she was an orphan or had parent(s) with her. My father and his sisters didn't like to talk about their Indian heritage, in fact my aunt Christina wouldn't talk about it other than to say that when they visited her grandmother she was "sitting on the porch, smoking a corncob pipe and looked like an Indian squaw." When I pressed her for more information she said, "That's in the past--I don't want to talk about it." What a shame. My father did say that there was another tribe in our lineage and he thought it might be Blackfoot." I don't know where he got that idea. My mother told me that her mother-in-law got a letter once, telling her that if she went to Oklahoma and proved up on the land that she was entitled to, what I thought she said was, 160 acres. I might be wrong on the amount. They were very poor people and had no way to go to OK. So . . .

That was such a shame to have missed out on that. Just think, your life may have been completely different, Zap ! :)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Wandrin;1497962 wrote: Are the Navajo still matriarchal?

Yes, the Navajos are matriarchal.

Navajo Indians: Matriarchal Society - Nizhoni Ranch Gallery

Also the Hopi, among others. I've spent some time with the Hopi and have a lot of their artifacts, a lot of their beautiful kachinas.

Matrilineal Societies - Women with Power and Respect - PowWows.com - Native American Pow Wows
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

One of our next door neighbours usually has his grandchildren visit at weekends along with their mum and dad. On a sunny day they will spend most of the day in the garden while the children play on the playpark which our houses over-look - very useful and safe for families, particularly those who live in houses that over-look the park.

Last weekend, they had visited as per usual. My hubby took our dog, Jessica, for her usual afternoon walk and on his way back he walked past our neighbour's house, one of the children suddenly made a fairly shrill shout about something, and that caused our dog to bark rather loudly towards where the shout had come from. My hubby said "Shut up, Jessica !" to the dog rather sharply, and she stopped barking. The mum of the two children visiting next door, came rushing out of their kitchen and told my hubby to "f**k off it's our alley ! " in an angry voice, to which he replied that it was a public right of way (which it is), and walked away. He told me, when he got in our house, that he thought she was such a nice, polite mother saying such things in front of her children !

It wasn't until much later in the evening that I had a thought, and I started to chuckle. My hubby asked what I was laughing at, so I said that he would have to ask the chap living next door if his daughter's name was Jessica ! If it is then it would explain her reaction somewhat ! :yh_rotfl
minks

Post by minks »

LOL Gill, have you heard anything further regarding the Jessica incident.

― Mae West
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Nothing further, Minks, except that my hubby was walking by this neighbour's garden wall, the following weekend, and the 'lady' in question pleasantly chatted to him as if nothing had happened ! So no reference was made to it by either of them ! :wah: I suppose she must have realised that he had not been talking to her at that time. Still don't know if her name is Jessica, as hubby hasn't caught the fella living there yet, to ask him !

Attached files
minks

Post by minks »

awe I am assuming that is your Jessica :) so cute.

Well it is nice to know the neighbor is not going to become and enemy hehehehe

― Mae West
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

minks;1498880 wrote: awe I am assuming that is your Jessica :) so cute.

Well it is nice to know the neighbor is not going to become and enemy hehehehe

Gawd, Minks, we have to live here so even if it takes swallowing our pride, we will endeavour to keep the peace. It doesn't cost anything to either take no notice of stuff, or to be witty about something and so have everybody laugh it off !

I've seen too many programs on TV about neighbours at battle stations constantly, some even come to blows, and some even end up with somebody being murdered ! Mostly these neighbour squabbles start out as little niggles that build up to be all out war !! So unnecessary really. One can get on much better with a smile ! I would much rather have a neighbour on my side smiling than plotting a revenge against me - that would make sleep a bit difficult I should think. :thinking: :)
minks

Post by minks »

lol Gill some neighbors can be a challenge.

I used to have the neighbors from Hades. played music loud starting at midnight every Friday and Saturday going on to 2AM. Turns out they both were drunks, and he was beating on her. It got real awful. One day she smartened up, kicked him out, over time she remarried and now they are awesome neighbors, she is of course in a much happier place in her life.

― Mae West
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oops, I forgot to say that yes that is our lovely Jessica. She is a very bright animal, thoroughly entertaining and wonderful company. Only one slight problem is that we can't leave her on her own in the house because she howls her head off. It is her baggage that we seem to be unable to change. She is a 'rescue dog' from our local RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

We have always had 'rescue dogs' except our very first one Freddy, who was one of a litter of puppies by my mum's dog Nicky's sister ! Hope you could follow that! Freddy lived into his 16th year. Our next dog Tinker was a rescue dog - he died of a heart attack, went out like a light, he was only about 9. Our next dog, also a 'rescue', Barney had a lot of Doberman in him and was a bit of a mutt - he died of cancer at only 8 years. We waited a couple of years then rescued 'Lady' a first cross G.S. and Collie, and she was wonderful. She lived into her 16th year ! Then we had 'Rex' (he was already 8 years old and that was his name from being a puppy), his owner died so he was brought to the RSPCA. He was there for about 4 months waiting for his forever home, then we came along. He lived into his 16th year which was pretty decent for a pedigree German Shepherd - he became a wonderful companion and although he would have protected us with his life, he was such a gentle natured dog. Now we have dog number six, Jessica, and she's wonderful too, bless her.

Right, that is the history of our legion of dogs ! All brilliant in their own ways, all different personalities and all wonderful company ! I don't think I could be without having a dog in the house. :-4 :D
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

minks;1498896 wrote: lol Gill some neighbors can be a challenge.

I used to have the neighbors from Hades. played music loud starting at midnight every Friday and Saturday going on to 2AM. Turns out they both were drunks, and he was beating on her. It got real awful. One day she smartened up, kicked him out, over time she remarried and now they are awesome neighbors, she is of course in a much happier place in her life.

I'm so pleased to hear that, Minks. That poor woman must have gone through so much. I hope her ex doesn't want to try anything now. Perhaps there has been an order to keep a certain distance away from her at all times.
minks

Post by minks »

Awe Gill, I love hearing stories of everyone's pets. Kudos to you for all your rescue pets. They do make some pretty fine companions, they just want to be loved.

I have had dogs all my life, from childhood up until about 2 years ago. 80% were rescue pets.

When I met my husband I had a little Pom/Chihuahua cross named Bella, she had crazy hair that stood up on her head and she looked crazed.

My husband brought into the family his albino lab and she was lovely, the 2 dogs got along famously.

First the lab got ill so ill our only option was to have her euthanized she was on pills all her life.

Shortly after the pom was diagnosed with a brain tumor and we had to do same all over again.

Now we live with out and daily I miss pets, but due to our life style and always being out of the house I just do not think it would be fair to have pets.

I do miss them

― Mae West
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

To change the subject somewhat, I must say that we are now the proud possessors of a dashcam. I thought it was a good idea after I'd seen all the videos on YouTube that recorded incidents on the road. Dash cam videos are admissable in courts of law too, as evidence. I was going to post the video of our test drive but unfortunately I'm unable to get it to load. I've managed to save it to my laptop, no problem, but to get it from my 'pictures' on to a thread is a totally different thing ! :-5 :yh_angry :yh_tired
minks

Post by minks »

Forgive my ignorance Gill, but are the roads there really bad for awful drivers? (remember I live in redneck Canada, we just flip the bird at each other and carry on lol)

― Mae West
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

G#Gill;1499253 wrote: To change the subject somewhat, I must say that we are now the proud possessors of a dashcam. I thought it was a good idea after I'd seen all the videos on YouTube that recorded incidents on the road.

I really wanted one of those too, when I first saw it. But then I realized that my wife and I barely drive (50,000 miles in 16 years!) and that of all the accidents we have had in 24 years, all five were my wife's fault! I really don't need extra evidence of that!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_;1499307 wrote: I really wanted one of those too, when I first saw it. But then I realized that my wife and I barely drive (50,000 miles in 16 years!) and that of all the accidents we have had in 24 years, all five were my wife's fault! I really don't need extra evidence of that!

Steady on Saint, you could be mistaken for a sexist ! :yh_rotfl

Well we don't drive that far these days, except the occasional drive to Derbyshire or on holiday which is usually only once a year, now we haven't got our static caravan any more boo hoo . But we do quite a bit of town driving, if only to do shopping, and of course it's sod's law for some pratt to dash out of a side road and belt you one on the front wing. Got yer matey - you're on candid camera ! :wah: Also,as one is driving around, the camera may record a totally independent accident - valuable irrefutable witness n'ést pas ?

By the way I shall be on hol. for a couple of weeks, but I shall look forward to getting back online to annoy you lot ! :p :yh_rotfl
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1499415 wrote: By the way I shall be on hol. for a couple of weeks, but I shall look forward to getting back online to annoy you lot ! :p :yh_rotfl

Hope the weather stays good for you.

You are not THAT annoying..........honestly.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1499417 wrote: Hope the weather stays good for you.

You are not THAT annoying..........honestly.

Oh Bruv, you can say the nicest things sometimes :o :yh_hugs :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just a little taste of where we went on holiday ! Just entering Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk :-6 :) :driving:

It didn't seem to want me to just have the video item without the side videos ! I may try again later.

Sorry about the jiggling picture from time to time - the road was rather bumpy !
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

That was wonderful, Gill, thanks so much for the lovely ride!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I was expecting some shots of you sunbathing with your kiss me quick hat and licking a 99 ice cream.

Maybe next year ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1500118 wrote: I was expecting some shots of you sunbathing with your kiss me quick hat and licking a 99 ice cream.

Maybe next year ?

No chance, Mr. Bruv ! So don't hold yer breff :p :yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It poured with rain all last night and most of the morning, and there's been a weather warning in our area for fairly high winds and more rain later today (Saturday). I think I will be staying indoors :rolleyes: :wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

The rain ruined our day in Matlock and Matlock Bath today, we'd already abandoned our plans for heading there yesterday and just spent the day wandering around Chesterfield.

Fingers crossed its better weather for the journey home tomorrow, it took twelve sodding hours on Monday! Took five hours to get through Exeter :-1
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That's the trouble BB, in Derbyshire if it rains, it pours ! Eee I wish I had known you were going to be in my neck of the woods, we could have had a mini meet ! I could have annoyed you intensely and we could have had a good laugh about it, and 'V' signed the weather! Oh well, perhaps you had a lucky escape ! ;)

Such a pity the weather wasn't more co-operative because Derbyshire, where you went, is absolutely gorgeous in the sunshine ! I would never recommend visiting Matlock at the weekend because you'll have extreme difficulty finding somewhere to park and both Matlock and Matlock Bath groan with bikers ! That's OK if you're a bike fan, but fairly traumatic if you are not ! :wah:

Derbyshire is a favourite 'trip out' place for us as most areas can be reached in under an hour. Dovedale is lovely and all places around there, but we visit on a week day (as we are retired now) as being preferable to weekends, when the traffic situation is not so dire on a weekday ! :driving:

I hope you had a decent and trouble-free return home, BB. :)

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

G#Gill;1500168 wrote: That's the trouble BB, in Derbyshire if it rains, it pours ! Eee I wish I had known you were going to be in my neck of the woods, we could have had a mini meet ! I could have annoyed you intensely and we could have had a good laugh about it, and 'V' signed the weather! Oh well, perhaps you had a lucky escape ! ;)

Such a pity the weather wasn't more co-operative because Derbyshire, where you went, is absolutely gorgeous in the sunshine ! I would never recommend visiting Matlock at the weekend because you'll have extreme difficulty finding somewhere to park and both Matlock and Matlock Bath groan with bikers ! That's OK if you're a bike fan, but fairly traumatic if you are not ! :wah:

Derbyshire is a favourite 'trip out' place for us as most areas can be reached in under an hour. Dovedale is lovely and all places around there, but we visit on a week day (as we are retired now) as being preferable to weekends, when the traffic situation is not so dire on a weekday ! :driving:

I hope you had a decent and trouble-free return home, BB. :)

We're more used to mizzle round these parts.

Made it back in around five and half hours this time, not including stop off times for elderly Mother and young child. Each time Mother nodded off a bit next to me I put my foot down :wah:

Surprisingly the traffic wasn't too bad yesterday at Bakewell, Matlock or Matlock Bath. Just a shame it rained we enjoyed fish and chips in the Riverside Chip Shop and escaped the weather for a short while. It's odd that that cafe overlooks the road and not the River, strange design given the view you could have. And how many fish and chip shop does one street need??

Indeed Gill we could have met and I could have introduced you to my Mother, she's a right one! We went up to that area to take Mother to the Arboretum in Staffordshire, its something she's wanted to do for a long time. We also then took her to see lifelong close family friends who live in Mansfield Woodhouse, so Chesterfield was an affordable and central place to base ourselves.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

That photo of the landscape is beautiful but Winnat's Pass looks pretty scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Your mum sounds a very interesting person BB ! :) So glad you had what appears to be a problem-free journey home. Good job you went this weekend and not next (Bank Holiday - grid-lock weekend !) :rolleyes:

It also sounds as if your mum isn't keen on travelling fast in a car ! On the contrary our dog loves speed - in fact she squeeks and whimpers while we're in a limit area, but as soon as we get out of the towns and pick up speed, our dog Jessica is well happy, and goes nicely quiet and sticks her nose out of the slightly open window ! :driving: Reading that back, it sounds as if I'm comparing your mum to my flippin' dog !! :yh_rotfl Not intentional at all, I can assure you, it's just the thought of somebody not keen on fast speeds whereas our dog loves going fast in the car ! I shall stop digging that hole now ! :lips: :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1500200 wrote: That photo of the landscape is beautiful but Winnat's Pass looks pretty scary!

Just a bit of info for you Zap. I can quite understand how you feel about landscapes like that, when you are so used to a more desert landscape. I expect you would feel a little anxious if you had to travel through a pass like Winnat's ! :yh_nailbi

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winnats Pass

Winnats Pass is in the High Peak area of the English county of Derbyshire. It lies to the west of the village of Castleton, in the National Trust's High Peak Estate. The road winds through a cleft, surrounded by towering limestone pinnacles. The pass was once thought to have originated as a giant collapsed cavern; however, a more recent explanation is that it was a ravine between the coral reefs that originally formed the limestone.[1] The name is a corruption of 'wind gates'. A local legend is that the pass is haunted after a young couple were murdered by miners.[1] :yh_ghost

The permanent closure of the main A625 road at Mam Tor in 1979 due to subsidence has resulted in Winnats Pass being heavily used by road traffic. However, the narrowness of the road and its maximum >28% (1 in 3.5) gradient has caused it to be closed to buses, coaches and vehicles over 7.5 tonnes in weight. The road regularly features in the Tour of the Peak cycle race each autumn.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I have acrophobia and I thought I had been on the worst road in the world when I was in Norway. Dalsnibba. See photos:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... hs-att_001

But I think that was surpassed by one in The Philippines, going from Manila UP to Baguio. There were road signs saying, "Danger-high accident-prone area"!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... hs-att_001
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Gordon Bennett, Zap, you ain't arf a glutton for punishment !!!! :yh_nailbi :yh_ooooo

I really don't think you would get me going along roads like those !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Yesterday, Saturday 27 August 2016 (well I feel I have to be precise ! :wah: ), My hubby and I went on a visit with some friends. The weather had really turned atrocious so Jessica, our pooch, dipped out of a decent walk, but I doubt she minded that as she is't keen on heavy rain either ! We spent an enjoyable evening with lots of laughter and a couple of wines, and a game of scrabble (which I won ! :yh_tong2 :yh_giggle ) - haven't played that game for years !

By the time we left to return home, it had stopped pouring with rain but the roads were still wet. As we entered the outskirts of the suburbs of east Nottingham, we came into a 30 mph speed limit area so the car in front slowed, as did we and the 3 cars behind us. However, to our horror a vehicle travelling very fast went on to the wrong side of the road and overtook the 3 cars behind us, as if they were stationary and not slacking his speed as he came by us ! He stayed on the wrong side of the road, passing some central refuge bollards on the wrong side, passed the car in front of us and swerved in to the correct side of the road just before he reached some more central refuge bollards ! We estimated that, as we were travelling at 30 mph, the way he passed us must have been at a speed of around 80 mph ! Totally reckless ! We checked behind to see if there was a police pursuit vehicle after him, but there was no sign of any other vehicle which may have been chasing him. It would have been a terrible crash, had another vehicle emerged from one of the many side roads into his path !:-2

Our thoughts were that it was likely to be a stolen car with young tearaways inside. It was going far too fast for us to get his reg. number and all we could see of the vehicle was that it was a large white family saloon, possibly a BMW or an Audi.

We half expected to see him piled up into somebody's front garden, as we travelled along. I must say that I have never actually witnessed such appalling, thoughtless, recklessness as that, in all the years I have been driving ! We might have understood better had it been a police car with 'blues and twos' going, but it was a totally unmarked white saloon car. Insane ! :mad:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Stupid gits!

Return to “General Chit Chat”