The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
G#Gill

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_;1500412 wrote: Stupid gits!

My sentiments entirely, Mr. Saint ! Only possibly my words were a little stronger - he could have involved several vehicles in a major smash with heaven knows what injuries or worse and no doubt included ourselves ! I don't propose to end my life just yet! :mad:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

G#Gill;1500418 wrote: My sentiments entirely, Mr. Saint ! Only possibly my words were a little stronger - he could have involved several vehicles in a major smash with heaven knows what injuries or worse and no doubt included ourselves ! I don't propose to end my life just yet! :mad:

Reckless driving on that scale is the ultimate in selfishness. You don't care about anyone else's lives, they families, or their futures. I personally make it a point to never drive over the speed limit in a residential district.

Besides, I'm not in a hurry anymore. Once I got older, I really began to enjoy the feeling of just driving. I schedule my time so I always have tons of time to get where I'm going. Life's too short and too precious to take chances.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I wish more people had your attitude, Mr. Saint.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Whoever it was, probably had the best day of their short lives. Sounds to me like it was youngsters joyriding, maybe after a can or two.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

You know, Bruv, I have always thought that to call the theft of somebody's prized possession by young thugs, as 'joyriding', was so wrong. So inappropriate. The sad thing is that the police have reduced the seriousness of that particular crime, simply because there's so much of it ! This should never be a reason to reduce the level of seriousness of a crime ! It's almost as bad as reducing the numbers of police officers when crime rates go up !!! Absolutely idiotic.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It is only the people doing it that the term covers, as they do it for the joy of it.

Police call it TWOC.........Taking Without Owners Consent, and it is treated as car theft, plus any offences involved thereafter by the drivers while in possession such as no tax and insurance, speeding etc etc

Sadly many burn the cars to obliterate any possible forensic evidence they might leave otherwise.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Yes that happened to my nephew several years ago. My mum had left him her Morris GTI , after her death. It was stolen from his driveway, driven off then set fire to. My nephew was so incensed by this and swore that he would put the young thieves in hospital if he ever found out who had stolen his car. He lost a couple of dozen audio tapes in the fire as well, just to rub salt in the wound. My nephew was really gutted about loosing his gran's car in that way - he had always looked after it for my mum when she was alive, as he worked as a mechanic at the local garage.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bar Stewards aren't they ?

All for a buzzz.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'll never forget a documentary on TV several years ago that was about car theft. A young car thief, arrested for knocking an elderly man down at a road junction and killing him, told the reporter that the "stupid old bugger should have got out of the way faster".

There was no remorse, no guilty conscience, just wicked arrogance. That was mostly the attitude of all the young car thieves interviewed for the program. Horrifying.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

For a change Bank Holiday Monday has had good weather over most of the country in the UK. I'm just about to watch the TV news to find out how busy the roads have been today with folk returning home. :driving: :lips:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

In about another week or so, my hubby is leaving me.................................................................he'll be travelling by train to Sussex to keep his second sister company and help her around her country cottage, with cooking and doing odd jobs. Sadly she's got cancer and is under treatment for it. She's also got angina. The other sister, who is 82 has been staying and helping, but she's got angina too and has to take things a bit easy.

She travels by car from Ipswich, so that is quite a journey for her. She manages to stay for a couple of weeks, then my hubby spells her for a few days. Fortunately the Sussex sister has very good neighbours and they help out when they can. They take her to Brighton hospital for treatment each week. The trouble is that the Sussex sister isn't eating a lot and has lost a lot of weight, consequently. This means that she gets tired very quickly so can't walk very far or do much housework - clothes washing and hoovering etc. But the neighbours help out and of course the Ipswich sister stays for a couple of weeks and my hubby tries to get down as often as he can, but he doesn't stay more than 3 or 4 days at a time because he doesn't like leaving me on my own with the dog to take out etc.

It's a good job he's still fairly fit, bless him, and he is much in demand all round. There are times when I hate being old. I miss being able to get up and go whenever I feel like it ! Unfortunately, these days we now have to plan ahead, and there's very little spur-of-the-moment stuff, like we used to be able to do. Still, there are so many other people a lot worse off than we are, physically and mentally, and many who are totally house-bound. At least I am able to get out and about, if only in the car or on my 'buggy', so I am thankful. I also have a wonderful hubby, who would be happy to do everything for me if I let him !

Yes I am fortunate in many ways, and I can smile and be happy with my lot, and maybe while hubby's away, I can set to and possibly paint the downstairs loo. It's not a very big room so shouldn't be too difficult slapping some white paint around it and I think we have some pale blue as well. Well I can take my time and do a bit each day ! Then when he comes back he will be surprised and I suppose I will get ticked off for doing it while I'm in the house by myself ! Well maybe I'll show him that I can manage OK, if I take things a little at a time ! ;)

It's going to be another warm day tomorrow, so I might be able to get some washing on the line to dry. :-6 Oh this domesticity - it isn't me really. I have never been a domesticated wifey ! :yh_rotfl
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I saw this one of Hampshire Constabulary's Facebook page yesterday. It's just so ridiculous it's unbelievable, but it's actually for real.....

#Appeal #Southampton

Do you know this man?

We would like to speak to him following the attempted theft of deodorant from a Nisa store in Palmerston Road, Southampton, shortly after 6pm on August 21.

If you recognise this man or if this is you, please come forward as you could have information which could assist our investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call PC Stacey Kirby on 101, quoting 44160314115, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

G#Gill;1500544 wrote: In about another week or so, my hubby is leaving me.................................................................he'll be travelling by train to Sussex to keep his second sister company and help her around her country cottage, with cooking and doing odd jobs. Sadly she's got cancer and is under treatment for it. She's also got angina. The other sister, who is 82 has been staying and helping, but she's got angina too and has to take things a bit easy.

She travels by car from Ipswich, so that is quite a journey for her. She manages to stay for a couple of weeks, then my hubby spells her for a few days. Fortunately the Sussex sister has very good neighbours and they help out when they can. They take her to Brighton hospital for treatment each week. The trouble is that the Sussex sister isn't eating a lot and has lost a lot of weight, consequently. This means that she gets tired very quickly so can't walk very far or do much housework - clothes washing and hoovering etc. But the neighbours help out and of course the Ipswich sister stays for a couple of weeks and my hubby tries to get down as often as he can, but he doesn't stay more than 3 or 4 days at a time because he doesn't like leaving me on my own with the dog to take out etc.

It's a good job he's still fairly fit, bless him, and he is much in demand all round. There are times when I hate being old. I miss being able to get up and go whenever I feel like it ! Unfortunately, these days we now have to plan ahead, and there's very little spur-of-the-moment stuff, like we used to be able to do. Still, there are so many other people a lot worse off than we are, physically and mentally, and many who are totally house-bound. At least I am able to get out and about, if only in the car or on my 'buggy', so I am thankful. I also have a wonderful hubby, who would be happy to do everything for me if I let him !

Yes I am fortunate in many ways, and I can smile and be happy with my lot, and maybe while hubby's away, I can set to and possibly paint the downstairs loo. It's not a very big room so shouldn't be too difficult slapping some white paint around it and I think we have some pale blue as well. Well I can take my time and do a bit each day ! Then when he comes back he will be surprised and I suppose I will get ticked off for doing it while I'm in the house by myself ! Well maybe I'll show him that I can manage OK, if I take things a little at a time ! ;)

It's going to be another warm day tomorrow, so I might be able to get some washing on the line to dry. :-6 Oh this domesticity - it isn't me really. I have never been a domesticated wifey ! :yh_rotfl

Gilly, dont slap the paint around lol.

Unless of course youre going for a particular affect..lol

One wall a day is my motto these days.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

FourPart;1500585 wrote: I saw this one of Hampshire Constabulary's Facebook page yesterday. It's just so ridiculous it's unbelievable, but it's actually for real.....

Oh dear, looks like someone is pulling a leg. Unfortunetly it has gone down like a bucket of the proverbial.

I can understand anyone who has been a victim of crime not finding that post very funny at all.

It actually looks like a policeman and a colleage making a point of 'attempted'.... sometimes you have to sit in a car a very long time with someone. That is not your average offender needing to freshen up.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

My hubby went down to Sussex to be with his sister and found that she had lost much more weight. She was very weak and did not eat very much, even my hubby's delicious shepherds pie or spag. bol ! We had a phone call from Chris's other sister Mary who took over from my hubby on Thursday to say Suzie had died 12.30 am on the morning of Saturday (today). It seems that she went downhill very rapidly on Friday. My hubby will now have to return to help Mary sort stuff out, he couldn't leave it all for her to deal with and of course is not sure how long things will take to sort. His sister's neighbours are very good and only too willing to help out where they can.

Needless to say my hubby is gutted about his sister's death, as I am too (she was younger than him and was my age) - a very difficult time now.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

So sorry to hear such sad news Gilly.

My condolences to you and your husband
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Gill, I am so sorry to hear that sad news. My condolences to you, Chris and family.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you so much Bruv and Zap for your kindness, it is much appreciated.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Chris is returning home some time tomorrow, driving his younger sister's car instead of taking the train. He will be able to bring back some items that Suzie would have wanted him to have, as well as a load of photographs and CDs. He will be very tired as they have had a terrific amount to sort out. The hospital where Suzie died were very slow in issuing the death certificate (I thought the attending doctor had to sign this certificate straight away ! ). Chris had to go to the hospital the day after he got there, to obtain this certificate ! Consequently probate was delayed and all sorts of other important and official things were on hold till the certificate was available ! Disgraceful at such a traumatic time. I wonder how the hospital staff would feel if this important matter had happened to any of them ? Apparently, at that hospital, this seems to be a common occurrence !!! You can't tell me that it is staff shortage that causes this delay in signing a piece of paper. If the doctor signed these certificates at the time of death, then there wouldn't be an unnecessary delay for people and a backlog getting worse. I just cannot see the reason for this non-action by some doctors in that hospital.

Chris has been away for 8 days, and I've been on my own but I've been OK and I've had company with my dear dog :) :-4 It has been a bit difficult taking her out for comfort breaks, but we've managed with a little bit of inventiveness ! :wah: I've only been shopping once in all that time, and that was today ! (Well milk and bread need replacing ! :wah: ). I believe Chris will be driving back to Sussex early next week for I don't know how long, I expect he will stay till after the funeral, there's still quite a lot to finalise and sort - that could be another 8 or 9 days away. Still, I expect I will manage - I have done so far ! :)

When Chris gets back I shall insist that he just 'slobs out' and regain some energy and relax a bit. I may permit him to take our dog Jessica on a decent walk to a field where she can stretch her legs. She's been somewhat deprived of that exercise that she loves, in the last week or so as I've not been able to take her for long walks, and she does need them bless her.

I've just seen the time and Jessica needs her supper of chicken pieces and her last comfort break - I'm glad it's not raining !! :wah: Then it's bed time. Night all ! :yh_bye
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Chris will be returning to Sussex a week tomorrow, and the funeral has been arranged for Tues. 11th and I expect he will want to stay for a couple or so more days just to make sure everything is done and dusted. I know he is feeling the loss of his lovely younger sister very much, but he keeps a brave face on things, and I try to be a little comforting.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

As a total change of subject, I think I may be able to get some video pics of our dear Jessica dog. I could use my newly acquired dash cam ! I would love to get some action pics of her antics and I could do it with the dashcam because I can transfer from the camera to the laptop very easily. It has it's own battery which gets recharged as soon as it is connected to the cigarette lighter socket in the car and the car engine is started. Not sure how long it will run on its own battery, but I expect I shall find out soon enough ! :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I was just checking through my photographs saved on my laptop, and I came across this odd pic. I'm afraid I couldn't resist taking this - the lady who's garden this cactus was in, is a pensioner, and I just wondered what was going through her mind when she put this in her garden !:yh_rotfl

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1501576 wrote: I was just checking through my photographs saved on my laptop, and I came across this odd pic. I'm afraid I couldn't resist taking this - the lady who's garden this cactus was in, is a pensioner, and I just wondered what was going through her mind when she put this in her garden !:yh_rotfl

And what is going through YOUR mind, Missy? I see these all the time on my patio and my daughter's patio and I never thought about it. Not until now . . .:lips:
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Sometimes I worry about Gilly.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

[Quote - Zap] And what is going through YOUR mind, Missy? I see these all the time on my patio and my daughter's patio and I never thought about it. Not until now . . . [Quote]

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_tong2...............................................:yh_angel :yh_giggle
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1501579 wrote: Sometimes I worry about Gilly.

Only sometimes dear Bruv ? Bless him :yh_kiss
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Something I never noticed before in the fine print in the settings area of the forum.

"Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed."
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

magentaflame;1501629 wrote: Something I never noticed before in the fine print in the settings area of the forum.

We get that all the time at work.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

magentaflame;1501629 wrote: Something I never noticed before in the fine print in the settings area of the forum.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl......"Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below. Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed." :lips:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

That's for people who are born again.
minks

Post by minks »

kind of like a born again virgin?? lol
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
cars

Post by cars »

minks;1501665 wrote: kind of like a born again virgin?? lol

Like a virgin worked for Madonna, it made her a diva. :)
Cars :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Saint_;1501662 wrote: That's for people who are born again.

LOL...... AHH i needed that laugh. :yh_rotfl
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

minks;1501665 wrote: kind of like a born again virgin?? lol

I see the state of virginity as optional. It should be a choice . People should have the right to choose. :)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Saint_;1501662 wrote: That's for people who are born again.

LOL! :yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

magentaflame;1501813 wrote: I see the state of virginity as optional. It should be a choice . People should have the right to choose. :)

Oh we have the right to choose . . I choose to live in California, although I have a brother who chooses to live in Virginia . . .oh, state of VIRGINITY . . .:yh_giggle
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

If you say so Zap :yh_giggle I don't know much about California or Virginia :yh_think
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Gawd I really don't feel very well. I've been shivery for about 3 days now. I think I'll take a nap (dunno where I'm goin' to take it to though :yh_sleep
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1502071 wrote: Gawd I really don't feel very well. I've been shivery for about 3 days now. I think I'll take a nap (dunno where I'm goin' to take it to though :yh_sleep

You could take your nap to California-to the desert-to the sunny clime where I would make you a cuppa and fluff your pillows while you listened to music from the 50's, 60's & 70's as you recuperated in my retro 40's guest bedroom. Then I would cook some file gumbo, one of my specialties. But for now all this will have to be done cyber . . . er . . ally, aly, illy . . .what's the ending adverbial suffix for cyber?

Anyway, I'm fluffing your pillows now. :guitarist
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Aww that is so kind Zap, thank you so much. I've just woken from a nap. I had a bit of food earlier this evening, then promptly fell asleep ! That's the first food I've had all day ! It was scrambled egg and mashed potato ! Well it was what I felt like eating :p Couldn't manage it all so Chris popped the remainder in a microwaveable box and I may be able to finish it tomorrow. I think I will probably have another snooze ! :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well Brit did it's Brexit, America had it's Presidency vote, the outcome of which leaves me a little nervous. Mind you I would have probably been nervous had Hilary Clinton got in ! So what ever. It is not my country, although America has quite a lot of sway in the world, and one or two nuclear bombs and missiles, and a lot more warships than we have.

Damn daft I call it, scrapping our aircraft carriers before the new ones are anywhere near ready to go to sea ! But the daftest and most unbelievable thing that Cameron did was sell the aircraft carrier fighters at a severely knock-down price to the United States, so that when we do have a usable aircraft carrier, there are no planes to fly from it except a few helicopters !!!!! You just couldn't make it up could you ?

I sometimes wonder what planet these politicians are on ! :-5 Why couldn't we notice that those aircraft were still a usable and effective asset - the Americans certainly could see that ! I reckon they are still smiling at making such a useful purchase, and at a give-away price too ! No wonder the rest of the world thinks the English are a sandwich short of a picnic ! :-5

The way I see it is that, for instance, if one needs to replace with more up-to-date equipment, one hangs on to the 'old' equipment until replacements are obtained and available for instant use before disposing of the 'old' equipment. Seems the logical and sensible thing to do, but then yoiks, that involves 'joined-up thinking' !!!!! Oh dear, that's a bummer ! :rolleyes: :lips:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well thats a relief....... i honestly thought you were going to say they sold them to us. Thats ecactly how we get our military gear. ....... its an ongoing joke. "The Australian government, the lowest bidder in the room". Lets see there was the hawk helicopters, the fighterjets with the glitch, the submarines that leaked. :-5

Our politicians ran a campaign with the slogan "open for business" .....i think not.... more like...."Australia, open for invasion"
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

You can't tell me that Australia are more penny-pinching and more short-sighted than UK ! I find that difficult to believe MF !!! :yh_ooooo:yh_eyerol
Guppers

Post by Guppers »

I'd like a chai tea latte cold, on ice please.....and a weeks worth of steady rain...
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Guppers;1503452 wrote: I'd like a chai tea latte cold, on ice please.....and a weeks worth of steady rain...

Guppers I shall have to send out for some chai tea latte, but the rain you can have as much of that as you can manage - cos we've just about had enough over here in drowning England !!!! :-5

Hi Guppers, welcome to me "Friendly Café ", I see you've already pulled up a chair ! :wah:
Ted

Post by Ted »

After a bout of almost total blindness and eye surgery I can see again so I'm back. I can assure you that blindness is no picknic. New skills to learn and in some ways very frightening. Hopefully it will no happen again but this particular disease occurs in both eyes not just one. Both of my eyes are not in the best of shape.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Ted, so sorry to hear you've had trouble with your eyes. But so glad to hear that you have had a successful operation and you have sight once again ! Thinking of you and keeping everything crossed that your eyes and general health are on-going good ! Also sorry I'm rather late in replying to your post ! Only a month late !!!! :rolleyes:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Happy New Year To All !!

:yh_party:yh_hugs:yh_party:yh_hugs:yh_party:yh_hugs:yh_party:yh_hugs:yh_party:yh_hugs:yh_party
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Happy new year from me too!!:-4
BigHeadBowler

Post by BigHeadBowler »

:-6 Happy New Year 2017 to All Who Read This Comment :-6

Haven't been to Forum Garden in a long time, so I thought I'd stop by this

afternoon to see what's happening. Either I'm not looking in the right sections,

or the activity on this forum has dwindled greatly. Was actually looking for a

thread on the topic of CBD Oil (aka cannabidiol). If it's against this site's

Terms of Service, please forgive me for being out of touch. :lips:

Return to “General Chit Chat”