Song Analysis

Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

Anyone interested in trying this?

One person chooses a song and we offer our own commentary as we attempt to dissect its meaning.

This is often done in poetry circles.

Anyone want to offer up the first song?

One rule: no going to song meaning sites for help.

Researching the writer/composer/band or what have you is certainly permitted.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

I recall doing that once.

I bet I can find it, too.

One moment...

Annotated song lyric... Smash Flops: Driving Through Mythical America

- you can hear the song at Pete Atkin sings "Driving Through Mythical America"
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

Thanks for that, Spot, and well done. Driving Through Mythical America is a song with lots of references. But what do those references have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!;1504217 wrote: Anyone interested in trying this?

One person chooses a song and we offer our own commentary as we attempt to dissect its meaning.

This is often done in poetry circles.

Anyone want to offer up the first song?

One rule: no going to song meaning sites for help.

Researching the writer/composer/band or what have you is certainly permitted.

That sounds like fun. And enlightening. I'll throw out an easy one:

Flowers On The Wall
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

ZAP;1504229 wrote: That sounds like fun. And enlightening. I'll throw out an easy one:

Flowers On The Wall

Thanks, Zap. Is it okay if we tackle that one after we've finished with Spot's entry? Interesting song, Zap. I've never heard it before.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!;1504230 wrote: Thanks, Zap. Is it okay if we tackle that one after we've finished with Spot's entry? Interesting song, Zap. I've never heard it before.

Oh, sorry! I didn't see Spot's post. Actually I was interrupted mid-post by a phone call so I just sent it.
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1504226 wrote: But what do those references have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

They're central. Students thinking they know how America works, they've absorbed all the Hollywood myths of what makes the country so great, and then they hit the reality far too late to grasp how badly they'd misunderstood. The music switches too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Song Analysis

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1504226 wrote: Thanks for that, Spot, and well done. Driving Through Mythical America is a song with lots of references. But what do those references have to do with the Kent State Massacre?

I like Neil Young's "4 Dead in Ohio" better; maybe I'm just a simpleton.

FourPart

Song Analysis

Post by FourPart »

Whenever I hear the Pogues doing Fairytale of New York, I can't help feeling it's just a slowed down version of It Was On A Starry Night.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1504232 wrote: They're central. Students thinking they know how America works, they've absorbed all the Hollywood myths of what makes the country so great, and then they hit the reality far too late to grasp how badly they'd misunderstood. The music switches too.That much I had figured out, but why references in in such a distant past and disconnected to the time of the shooting.? The closest reference is 1958 (12 years), which I can see. The next two are from 1947 and then one goes all the way back to 1908. Why not use more recent, relevant representative references?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

Presumably the song-writer included clips which would have been formative as they were growing up, the notions that underlay their assumptions.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1504241 wrote: Presumably the song-writer included clips which would have been formative as they were growing up, the notions that underlay their assumptions.

Okay. I still think most are irrelevant, but the purpose is clear enough. Great song, Spot. Thanks for starting us off.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

It appears there won't be anymore said on spot's song.

ZAP;1504229 wrote: That sounds like fun. And enlightening. I'll throw out an easy one:

Flowers On The Wall

Looks to me like this is a song about someone who enjoys and is comfortable with solitude.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

Flowers On The Wall. I love the bass singer on this!

Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

ZAP;1504313 wrote: Flowers On The Wall. I love the bass singer on this!

I listened to it yesterday when you first put it up.

My take could be wrong, of course. The intent might be disparaging and mocking of someone who appears lazy. That proably fits better with the times it was written.

What's your take?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!;1504314 wrote: Yes. I listened to it yesterday when you first put it up.

My take could be wrong, of course. The intent might be disparaging and mocking of someone who appears lazy. That proably fits better with the times it was written.

What's your take?

This used to be one of my favorite songs (of about 200), so I checked it out years ago to find out what it meant. I double-checked before I put it up here and found out a couple of things I didn't know before. I used to work in a nightclub and met several entertainers, although not the Statler Brothers, and music trivia is one of my specialties that I used to play with some of the singers. And I go to Las Vegas a lot and have some friends there that still perform. Some pop singers and a lot of jazz artists.
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

I was rather surprised to recognize the song.

It's clearly a response by the singer to a standard follow-up enquiry from the Human Resources executive who fired him the previous month. There's not a word which doesn't fit. The singer, despite his attempt at sarcastic good humor, is close to going back and killing the entire management team, he is not a happy chap at all.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

It really doesn't matter what official meanings are to art. What's fun and interesting is how our own perceptions bounce off it. Art is a reflection of time and circumstances and offers us insight into the attitudes, prejudices, preferences and personality of the artist. Art often exposes thoughts and feelings the artist didn't realize were being exposed.

The feedback an artist receives from the critiques and criticisms of others is often surprising to them and allows them the notice things about themselves they were unaware of beforehand.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

spot;1504317 wrote: I was rather surprised to recognize the song.

It's clearly a response by the singer to a standard follow-up enquiry from the Human Resources executive who fired him the previous month. There's not a word which doesn't fit. The singer, despite his attempt at sarcastic good humor, is close to going back and killing the entire management team, he is not a happy chap at all.

Brilliant!
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1504317 wrote: I was rather surprised to recognize the song.

Well, it is country.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Song Analysis

Post by tabby »

When you're finished with this one, try "Lookin' Out My Backdoor" by CCR. It's a favorite of mine and it's impossible to be certain of the meaning of the lyrics yet it's so joyful that it really doesn't matter. Still curious though!
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1504325 wrote: when you're finished with this one, try "lookin' out my backdoor" by ccr. It's a favorite of mine and it's impossible to be certain of the meaning of the lyrics yet it's so joyful that it really doesn't matter. Still curious though! spot!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

Sounds like he's happy to be out of Illinois. He didn't like Lodi, Texas much either.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

I think he sounds like a truck driver just getting home from a long haul and getting ready to light up, drop some or get it on. (Oh boy!)

This is a great song to dance to , btw.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

I recall reading a long time ago that JF claimed that drugs were never a part of CCR. I also recall that he had an issue with alcohol consumption later on.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Song Analysis

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1504338 wrote: I recall reading a long time ago that JF claimed that drugs were never a part of CCR. I also recall that he had an issue with alcohol consumption later on.

I met CCR guys in Atlanta during the First Atlanta Pop Festival. They were definitely not into drugs. Didn't even get into pot in those days. Music was their everything.

A good group of guys.

Some of that may have changed later when they came apart at the seams.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1504345 wrote: I met CCR guys in Atlanta during the First Atlanta Pop Festival. They were definitely not into drugs. Didn't even get into pot in those days. Music was their everything.

A good group of guys.

Yes, I heard the same thing--that they weren't into drugs. I think most of the groups and performers who played at our club were not into drugs. Booze, pot- yes for some, but very few into drugs.
Wandrin

Song Analysis

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1504345 wrote: I met CCR guys in Atlanta during the First Atlanta Pop Festival. They were definitely not into drugs. Didn't even get into pot in those days. Music was their everything.

A good group of guys.

I liked it when the power went out and the drummers got together on stage.
LarsMac

Song Analysis

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1504348 wrote: I liked it when the power went out and the drummers got together on stage.

I favorite part was the freebie at Piedmont Park afterward.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Song Analysis

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1504350 wrote: I favorite part was the freebie at Piedmont Park afterward.

Somehow, I missed that one. (or for some reason my memory was impaired)
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

Small world, huh!

I was disappointed when I first heard Looking Out My Back Door. It was a departure from the more serious viewpoint JF had become known for. I recall thinking that it seemed like a kid's song. There were a lot of rumors that it was about acid and cocaine. I didn't buy into the drug idea and I didn't really take to the song much.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Song Analysis

Post by Bruv »

Words here....."A whiter shade of pale"

Listen here....Procol Harum

I am staying out of any meaningful discussion about song lyrics......they are sometimes meaningless.........or possibly often times.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

For males, music has proven to be one thing above all else - a very successful way to get laid, which is the evolutionary goal of every healthy member of the species. Females appear to be the more choosy of the genders. I'm speaking in General terms, of course.

So, early on in one's musical career - being young, self-absorbed, full of testosterone and, more often than not, indiscreet, the lyrics are often just words put together for just that purpose. Peter Gabriel's song Steam is a great example. Gabriel later on described that time in his career as his rock years.

Many male musicians change their style to become more meaningful as they age, but once that happens, along with showing their age, their popularity plummets.

So, yeah, the lyrics are often meaningless, and sometimes ridiculously so, but it still can be fun looking at and discussing them.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

Bruv;1504356 wrote: Words here....."A whiter shade of pale"

The song is clearly a retelling of the concluding chapter of Chaucer's proposed sequel to The Canterbury Tales in which the pilgrims, having gathered again the following year to visit Lourdes, all drown mid-Channel attempting to get home during a sudden Spring gale.
Bruv

Song Analysis

Post by Bruv »

spot;1504359 wrote: The song is clearly a retelling of the concluding chapter of Chaucer's proposed sequel to The Canterbury Tales in which the pilgrims, having gathered again the following year to visit Lourdes, all drown mid-Channel attempting to get home during a sudden Spring gale.

We must move in different social circles........or worlds.......universes even.
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

ZAP;1504313 wrote: Flowers On The Wall. I love the bass singer on this!

There are many interpretations of this song but so far I haven't been able to find out what the writer's actual intent was. What I did learn from Wiki were some interesting facts, among them that Art Bell's Coast To Coast radio program, which I loved to listen to because he had some really kookie guests, used this song as bumper music. I learned what bumper music is. Kurt Vonnegut used lines from this song, it was in a couple of Bruce Willis movies, Nancy Sinatra did a cover for her Boots album, etc. But the possible explanation I like best is in Urban Dictionary. When I was 10-12 years old I used to count the purple flowers on my bedroom wall, when I was bored or to fall asleep.

Urban Dictionary: Flowers on the Wall
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

Bruv;1504363 wrote: We must move in different social circles........or worlds.......universes even.

You will, I hope, pardon the suggestion, but if you listen to the words with my interpretation in mind you'll find the entire plot laid bare before you - which suggests I may have a point.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1504371 wrote: You will, I hope, pardon the suggestion, but if you listen to the words with my interpretation in mind you'll find the entire plot laid bare before you - which suggests I may have a point.I guess even pilgrims can't take no for an answer. You never know what events might have been taking place on that boat.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

ZAP;1504368 wrote: There are many interpretations of this song but so far I haven't been able to find out what the writer's actual intent was. What I did learn from Wiki were some interesting facts, among them that Art Bell's Coast To Coast radio program, which I loved to listen to because he had some really kookie guests, used this song as bumper music. I learned what bumper music is. Kurt Vonnegut used lines from this song, it was in a couple of Bruce Willis movies, Nancy Sinatra did a cover for her Boots album, etc. But the possible explanation I like best is in Urban Dictionary. When I was 10-12 years old I used to count the purple flowers on my bedroom wall, when I was bored or to fall asleep.

Urban Dictionary: Flowers on the Wallokay. Let's go verse by verse. It's pretty obvious to me this is about a break up.

The song is to his former lover who ended the relationship

I keep hearin' you're concerned about my happiness

But all that thought you're givin' me is conscience I guess

If I was walkin' in your shoes, I wouldn't worry none

While you 'n' your friends are worried about me I'm havin' lots of fun

The chorus is what is actually going on with him which he doesn't want to admit to her.

Countin' flowers on the wall

That don't bother me at all

Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Then more denial

Last night I dressed in tails, pretended I was on the town

As long as I can dream it's hard to slow this swinger down

So please don't give a thought to me, I'm really doin' fine

You can always find me here, I'm havin' quite a time

Then they bump into one another and he looks terrible - confirming her suspicions that he in fact is not doing well.

It's good to see you, I must go, I know I look a fright

Anyway my eyes are not accustomed to this light

And my shoes are not accustomed to this hard concrete

So I must go back to my room and make my day complete

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!;1504373 wrote: okay. Let's go verse by verse. It's pretty obvious to me this is about a break up.

The song is to his former lover who ended the relationship

The chorus is what is actually going on with him which he doesn't want to admit to her.

Then more denial

Then they bump into one another and he looks terrible - confirming her suspicions that he in fact is not doing well.

I think yours is a very valid interpretation. I think that it's a bit of a stretch to think that the breakup may have caused a breakdown for him but it is possible and I speak from personal knowledge of 2 minor breakdowns. lol! (Not mine) I think I'll look up that old standard "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown" and the meaning of its lyrics.
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

The feelings related in the song are common with break ups. He's dealing with loss. Most people recover from them.

Take the song Too Many Fish in the Sea for example.

ETA: I doubt this is an actual event. I think it's just a song he came up with. Though i'm sure he'd had his share of lost love. We all have.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Song Analysis

Post by Bruv »

spot;1504371 wrote: You will, I hope, pardon the suggestion, but if you listen to the words with my interpretation in mind you'll find the entire plot laid bare before you - which suggests I may have a point.

Must have been subliminal, because the writer doesn't recognise it as such.
spot

Song Analysis

Post by spot »

Bruv;1504378 wrote: Must have been subliminal, because the writer doesn't recognise it as such.

I would not know. I have not gone off enquiring. I merely red the words and that's what they say.

My reactions are outdated, I'll grant you that. I watched University Challenge this week. The announcer said "Asking the questions" and I responded "Bamber Gascoigne" from habit. 1987 he stopped, I just checked.
Bruv

Song Analysis

Post by Bruv »

Dinosaur.
FourPart

Song Analysis

Post by FourPart »

When you're happy you feel the Music.

When you're sad you feel the Lyric.
AnneBoleyn

Song Analysis

Post by AnneBoleyn »

FourPart;1504537 wrote: When you're happy you feel the Music.

Excellent!
Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

Too bad we can't get more participation in this thread, it could be a fun and interesting one.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Song Analysis

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!

Song Analysis

Post by Ahso! »

Oh those Bee Gees!

I saw an interview with Barry Gibbs where he said that there was a fierce competition between the brothers and not writting a song within a given time period would cost membership to the band.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Song Analysis

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1504537 wrote: When you're happy you feel the Music.

I wouldn't disagree.....entirely.

But......music evokes an emotional response, most happy lyrics are linked to happy music, and visa versa.

So....a happy tune can lift you with no words involved, the opposite with a somber melody.

Some music can even arouse nationalistic pride.......against all logic of the listener.

Return to “General Music”