Threatening letter from Amazon seller, can you advise please?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I hope this is the right forum, if not please move it to the right one (keep searching but taking too long).

I'm in a right state at the mo, I have learning difficulties and I ordered a book on Feb 17th through Amazon which took a long time to come. It went past he date and i contacted the seller twice but got no reply, so I said I was contacting Amazon UK.

I then got an email saying the item was out of stock and i would be getting a refund back. I got a box pop up asking how feedback was, so I told the truth and said book didn't turn up and still waiting. I stupidly put avoid (which I regret now).

Book turned up this morning with a Post Office claims form, and a sperate envelope containing a letter from the sellers who I ordered this book through.

The letter is unacceptable. It's full of threats about the feedback which I had left. I have since re-wrote the feedback in a more positive manner, seeing as the book turned up eventually.

Some of the content of this letter includes things like:

legal action against me, and how they will make every effort to embarrass me to the Salisbury press and nationality. I am sorry for the feedback which I left, which I have changed (but eventually removed as it wouldn't let me post anything again), but I am not very happy with all these threats etc.

It also goes on to say that he/she is unlikely to make a claim against Royal mail because I hadn't given my family name on the form, however is is surprising what one can find out about people on the internet....

This letter is worrying because I have mental health issues and learning difficulties and these threats have really upset me, so this person basically is going to trawl the internet to ruin me.

I have messaged the seller to say the feedback is gone, but this has kind of put me off buying from them in the future no matter how good they are.

This is also a worrying issue, as children and people with special needs buy off of amazon, and to receive this sort of nasty little letter would be most upsetting.

Can you please advise me on this matter please?

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything, but never mind :-3
spot

Post by spot »

That is awful. The fault is entirely the seller's.

The letter is without any doubt illegal under English law.

It is an offence to send an indecent, offensive or threatening letter, and what you describe is a threatening letter. The offence is punishable with up to six months imprisonment, or a fine, or both. Firstly under Section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act 1998, secondly under Section 85 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

You can, if you want to take the trouble and stop this seller from doing the same thing to other buyers, complain to the police.

If you complain to the police they will register the complaint and investigate. You'll need to show them the letter, and it would help if you can also give them the envelope it came in.

This is good advice from another forum: "If you complain to the police, do so in writing, not by telephone, not by email, not in person. Copy it to the Chief Constable, your M.P., local Trading Standards, the FSA and your local newspaper and radio station. Do not be brushed off by the police saying that it is civil matter, it is not".

If you don't want to complain to the police, you could photograph the letter and post it to this thread as a permanent warning to other Amazon buyers. If you do that, paper-clip a blank square of paper over your own name and address for privacy before you take the photo. If you have a scanner you could use that instead of a smartphone or camera.

You should never be bullied into changing your feedback on Amazon.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I probably didn't help the situation by putting avoid in my feedback, I have had bad feedback on Ebay myself, but I've never ever sent anyone a threatening letter! I think this is very wrong.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Aura;1506293 wrote: I probably didn't help the situation by putting avoid in my feedback, I have had bad feedback on Ebay myself, but I've never ever sent anyone a threatening letter! I think this is very wrong.

If you have good reason to say avoid (like non-receipt of your purchase) then you are free to say so without being threatened.

I would send a complaint, with a copy of the letter, to Amazon asking them to review the case.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I will see what they say
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, sorry that you went through that.

You've got your book, and you could just blow off the rest and get on with your life, and never do business with that seller again.

You've already changed the feedback, and there's not much you can do to make them happy.

If they had responded to your first two queries, they would not have received that feedback.

You could also just forward that message from the seller to Amazon, and let them deal with it.

At this point in my life i would dismiss the whole thing. I don't need the drama.

On the other hand, if you feel the need to do battle, go for it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Aura

Post by Aura »

You've got your book, and you could just blow off the rest and get on with your life, and never do business with that seller again.
Preferably not

You've already changed the feedback, and there's not much you can do to make them happy.
I deleted the feedback, but Amazon wouldn't let me alter it.

You could also just forward that message from the seller to Amazon, and let them deal with it.
Which I may do, hopefully the seller will get a warning and a threat (see how they like it) It's NOT OK to write agressive letters and think you 'can get away with it'! What if this person next threatens a child?

I don't need the drama either :)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, if you feel up to it complaining might at least make you feel you've done something positive about a bad thing. They should NEVER have sent that bad letter. The best of luck to you whatever you decide to do.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “General Chit Chat”