pain in shoulder?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

I hope this is the right forum.

Last week I had a pain in my right shoulder which first appeared briefly about 2 years ago. I saw my dr who said it was frozen shoulder, from time to time it it would twinge, then nothing much.

Last week the pain got bad so I made an emergency appointment with the Dr who gave me some Ibrofen gel, I had been using Voltero which is 5%, this gel is apparently 10%. I have curvature of the spin and the pain in my arm was very painful, it's hurts now as I type this.

Had an x-ray and got the results a week later. Turns out according to the receptionist that I had boarderline wear and tear on my shoulder underneath the collar bone. She was very vague and wouldn't tell me what it meant. I've got Aspbergers so I get very confused, so I still haven't a clue really what she means Could someone please explain? :-2

I have been told yesterday there are many supplement pills I cant take because the Ibrofen gel is only masking the pain. These are:

Turmeric

Curcumin

Devils Claw

Solgar 7

Has anyone tried these, and are they good? Also is my condition treatable?

Many thanks, sorry to ask?
Mark Aspam

pain in shoulder?

Post by Mark Aspam »

Aura;1510218 wrote: I have curvature of the spin and the pain in my arm was very painful, it's hurts now as I type this.Curvature of the spin sounds more like politics than health.

Still, I wish you well, follow your Doc's advice. I would be wary of "folk" cures.
Clodhopper

pain in shoulder?

Post by Clodhopper »

Had an x-ray and got the results a week later. Turns out according to the receptionist that I had boarderline wear and tear on my shoulder underneath the collar bone. She was very vague and wouldn't tell me what it meant. I've got Aspbergers so I get very confused, so I still haven't a clue really what she means Could someone please explain?

I think you need to go back to your dr and ask him or her to explain the results to you, not the receptionist. With your Asperger's and curvature of the spine it is absolutely justified and necessary I would say, especially if it is so bad it is painful to type. Ask for an appointment to discuss what you should do about your shoulder and be sure to mention that you are in pain.

Sorry I can't be more help but this sounds as if it needs proper professional advice, not an amateur on the internet.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

I think you need to go back to your dr and ask him or her to explain the results to you, not the receptionist.

I explained this to her and she said he can't see me until June 20th, she said she would ask him to ring me next Tuesday which she said could be anytime.
Clodhopper

pain in shoulder?

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah, that's about as fast as it's going to happen. The doctor should call on Tuesday 20th June, but they don't know the exact time he or she will be able to call you during the day. Are you able to be in all day? It's a nuisance, I know.

It might be worth making a list of your questions to be ready when the doctor calls. I know I always forget half my questions when I'm actually talking to the doctor.

edit: Oh, and this is just the sort of arrangement where mistakes happen in the administration. If you don't get a call, the probable reason is a mistake at their end. If that happens call them the next day and ask what happened. (I would say it's probably 80% likely they will call you, maybe 90%, but there's a chance they mess it up - or that there's an emergency and the doctor can't call.

Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

or that there's an emergency and the doctor can't call.

Or the receptionist forgot to tell him/her....
cars

pain in shoulder?

Post by cars »

All excellent advise given in above posts.

You may also want to consider finding yourself another doctor that is more sympathetic to your needs, and a lot more responsive in a timely manner.
Cars :)
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

That's the NHS I'm afraid :(
Clodhopper

pain in shoulder?

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm guessing that no post here is good news...? At least in terms of having a chat with the doctor about the results?

FourPart

pain in shoulder?

Post by FourPart »

I have the same thing. It comes os the result of an occupational hazard of working in a Call Centre - when you need to put your hand up for Support (such as Authorisations, Advice, etc) waiting for a Senior to get to you. I ended up going to a physiotherapist who said much of it was down to Osteo Arthritis, which was normal for my age (57), but he gave me a list of exercises which, although not a complete solution, have helped greatly.
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

Hi I've been told that cod liver oil capsels and something called 7 is good for joint pain. There also something else which you get in Holland and Barrett beginning with a T (sorry, can't remember the name)
Clodhopper

pain in shoulder?

Post by Clodhopper »

Out of my areas. I can only wish you luck.

Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

Sorry it is called Tumeric I think
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

Just a follow up to this thread (instead of starting a new one). I'm really fed up now because I went to see my Dr about the pain in my shoulder and I mentioned about taking Cod liver oil capsels she said it was a waste of money and wouldn't make a difference. This is really deflating as the pain sometimes goes up the right hand side of my neck and It drives me nuts.

She advised using paracetomol and heat pads, and to only use the Fenbid when the pain was at it's worst. Other then that I feel I have no choice but to put up with the pain. You can only take paracetomol every four hours, or you can overdose. I think I will go ahead and get some cod liver oil capsel's dispite what the Dr says, I haven't been offered any physio threpy (excuse my dreadful spelling)

Can anyone advise me please?
Wandrin

pain in shoulder?

Post by Wandrin »

Did the doctor order x-rays or MRI to check the shoulder cartilage? When I had a problem with frozen shoulder they found a problem there. My doctor also gave me a cortisone shot deep into the shoulder, which helped immediately. Physical therapy helped. I rigged up a little thing at home to duplicate one of the exercises. I'm sure you can find the exercises for frozen shoulder online.
cars

pain in shoulder?

Post by cars »

Aura;1510468 wrote: Hi I've been told that cod liver oil capsels and something called 7 is good for joint pain. There also something else which you get in Holland and Barrett beginning with a T (sorry, can't remember the name)

Well I was told at a young age by my orthopedic Dr. that I had the joints of a 75 year old man. And that I would eventually need surgery to repair my joints. :wah:

That was 25 years ago.

Back then, A friend told me about taking Glucosamine 1500mg /Chondroitin 1200mg tablets for his joint pain, that "builds up cartilage in the joints", and he raved about the pain free results.

So for the last 25 years I have been taking those tablets with amazing pain free results. I'm a happy camper, "no surgery" and pain free!

It's worth a try, it can only improve the situation.

Good Luck what ever you decide.
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

Did the doctor order x-rays

Only an x-ray

Glucosamine 1500mg /Chondroitin 1200mg tablets

Can you get these in the UK, I also have needle phobia.
magentaflame

pain in shoulder?

Post by magentaflame »

I'm perplexed that you're asking questions of people with no medical training about your medical treatment and psychological issues.

And discussing drugs to boot.

Just go and seek more medical advice.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Aura

pain in shoulder?

Post by Aura »

I'm perplexed that you're asking questions of people with no medical training about your medical treatment and psychological issues.

And discussing drugs to boot. Just go and seek more medical advice.

I would do, but I'm only asking about herbal pills, the Dr only allows ten minutes for each appointment, they now have a policy of FIVE minutes which is taking place at our surgery in September.
cars

pain in shoulder?

Post by cars »

Aura;1510529 wrote: Only an x-ray

Can you get these in the UK, I also have needle phobia.

I'm with you on the "needle thing"! Hate em!

In the USA, I have been getting my G & C pills (tablets) all those years from "COSTCO", under their brand name, "Kirkland".

I believe you have a similar UK version of Costco, you could start there.
FourPart

pain in shoulder?

Post by FourPart »

These are a few of the exercises my Physiotherapist had me do. They really do help.

Return to “General Chit Chat”