Gun amnesty

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Clodhopper

Gun amnesty

Post by Clodhopper »

Saw a little factoid the other day: 45 deaths a day in the US due to guns. That's a small town a year wiped out, man, woman and child.

Quite a price for whatever it is you get.

Oh, and the reason guns in the hands of the people isn't tied to Liberty here is that we've had Liberty for quite a while without them and given that slavery was outlawed here long before it was in the US, in some ways more.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1514654 wrote: That is the unfortunate part of it. And why it will probably need to be made mandatory before a purchase.

And. of course, why it is unlikely to ever become law.

We've seen the failure of the NICS to keep track of convicted criminals. Should anybody see to trust government paid shrinks? Can't trust the IRS not to be above politics.

How much would those shrinks cost and who pays for it? Would it like the NICS to be done every time somebody wants to purchase a firearm? Is it really necessary if the citizen already owns a firearm? Do we really need a physiological database on millions of Americans kept by any government agency?

The Soviet Union made good use of Pince-nez nosed beard scratching shrinks to imprison dissidents.

I could go on, but then somebody in the future could use my rant against me.

LarsMac;1514654 wrote: I actually know people who will not ever willingly pursue Psychological counselling because they are afraid that their guns will be taken away if they are found to have a problem.

How's that for reasoning?

Same as many illegals victimized by criminals will not call the police.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Gun amnesty

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1514658 wrote: We've seen the failure of the NICS to keep track of convicted criminals. Should anybody see to trust government paid shrinks? Can't trust the IRS not to be above politics.

How much would those shrinks cost and who pays for it? Would it like the NICS to be done every time somebody wants to purchase a firearm? Is it really necessary if the citizen already owns a firearm? Do we really need a physiological database on millions of Americans kept by any government agency?

The Soviet Union made good use of Pince-nez nosed beard scratching shrinks to imprison dissidents.

I could go on, but then somebody in the future could use my rant against me.

Same as many illegals victimized by criminals will not call the police.

You're right about all of that.

Several of the latest incidents were perpetrated by people known to be mentally unstable, and yet they were easily able to acquire firearms.

Until we figure out how to close those loopholes, I don't see much happening on the Psych eval idea.

And many a psychopath has been able to breeze through such evaluations anyway.

None of that actually changes my opinion, though I am a realist enough to know that that barn door has been open far too long, and there are no horses left.

When we were kids, the NRA was behind a lot of gun safety and education programs through local schools and communities. In those days, the National Guard was also a larger part of the communities, and we had something close to the founders' ideas of militia, with trained citizens able to handle most emergencies. Of course people were not nearly as transient as they are now.

That was before La Pierre and his ilk decided it was far more profitable to drive the "Uncle Sam wants to take your guns and turn you all into sex slave zombies" movement.

Now we have idiots like Ted Nugent as the poster boy for the NRA.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1514653 wrote: You know, your suggestion of psychological testing for gun owners is a good one. The problem is always the same though, and that is those who should be examined don't acknowledge it because they can't see it.

OK, exactly what are the parameters of a psychological test which would determine a person fit/unfit to own a firearm? What kind of test are you talking about? I want details when talking about messing with peoples civil rights.

What recourse would one have if denied that natural right?

I have many other questions on just how this is all supposed to work, and really don't care to pursue it any further.
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

I think an IQ test with a required minimum score of 100 would be a good start. It really should require a higher score than 100 due to the nature of guns and the associated decision making.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1514663 wrote: OK, exactly what are the parameters of a psychological test which would determine a person fit/unfit to own a firearm? What kind of test are you talking about? I want details when talking about messing with peoples civil rights.

What recourse would one have if denied that natural right?

I have many other questions on just how this is all supposed to work, and really don't care to pursue it any further.Your question is for LM. Ask him.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Gun amnesty

Post by FourPart »

I would go by the same paramters as in the UK. Basically, "Do you have a farm? No? Then why would you need a gun?" On the whole the Police in the U.K. are unarmed, and most of them want to remain that way. Why? Because they know that if the Police were armed, then more criminals would also arm themselves so as to be on a level footing. Then comes the issue of having bigger & better guns than the other side, and so it progresses into a never ending spiral. If you want a gun without having a valid reason for one (such as being a farmer), then you shold be deemed psychologically unfit to own one in the first place. Guns have a single purpose - and that is to kill. Anyone who says they want one is automatically expressing a wish to kill & accordingly should not be allowed the means to do so.
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1515077 wrote: I would go by the same paramters as in the UK. Basically, "Do you have a farm? No? Then why would you need a gun?" On the whole the Police in the U.K. are unarmed, and most of them want to remain that way. Why? Because they know that if the Police were armed, then more criminals would also arm themselves so as to be on a level footing. Then comes the issue of having bigger & better guns than the other side, and so it progresses into a never ending spiral. If you want a gun without having a valid reason for one (such as being a farmer), then you shold be deemed psychologically unfit to own one in the first place. Guns have a single purpose - and that is to kill. Anyone who says they want one is automatically expressing a wish to kill & accordingly should not be allowed the means to do so.

What is so special about farmers?
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1515077 wrote: If you want a gun without having a valid reason for one (such as being a farmer), then you should be deemed psychologically unfit to own one in the first place. Guns have a single purpose - and that is to kill. Anyone who says they want one is automatically expressing a wish to kill & accordingly should not be allowed the means to do so.Or they live in fear! Which is a shame! The question for Americans who own guns for protection is if America has been the greatest country in the world (until Obama, I guess) why then all the fear? Even if Obama had been a Muslim (which he isn't) why all the fear unless there's xenophobia or some other bigotry or racism or related phobia involved?

Consider my questions rhetorical since no sensible response would be expected.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1515078 wrote: What is so special about farmers?They beat their wives and f@@k pigs.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1515086 wrote: They beat their wives and f@@k pigs.

heard nuff
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

Ask a stupid question....

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1515090 wrote: Ask a stupid question....

Didn't ask you. It is because of statements like that I tend to avoid you.
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

Thanks for the heads up. Words are so much more derogatory than walking around with a gun.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Gun amnesty

Post by gmc »

Is this not all a fairly recent phenomenon - last thirty years or so?

At the very least I would have thought allowing people to buy assault rifles for self defence/hunting is a blindingly stupid idea and those that want to own such a weapon should be the very ones not allowed to get them. We've also banned (in scotland that is don;t know about england) air rifles unless you have a licence to use one for pest control, farmers get licences to.22's to shoot rabbits etc, gamekeeprs use high powered rifles for deer culling there is absolutely no reason for anyone to have a weapon whose sole purpose is to kill another person. Post Dunblane if they hadn't banned hand guns there would have been riots in the streets.

Americans are not any more violent, psychotic, dangerous or prone to going off their heads than anyone else on the planet the difference is our nutters can't go out and buy assault rifles.
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1515127 wrote: Is this not all a fairly recent phenomenon - last thirty years or so?

At the very least I would have thought allowing people to buy assault rifles for self defence/hunting is a blindingly stupid idea and those that want to own such a weapon should be the very ones not allowed to get them. We've also banned (in scotland that is don;t know about england) air rifles unless you have a licence to use one for pest control, farmers get licences to.22's to shoot rabbits etc, gamekeeprs use high powered rifles for deer culling there is absolutely no reason for anyone to have a weapon whose sole purpose is to kill another person. Post Dunblane if they hadn't banned hand guns there would have been riots in the streets.

Americans are not any more violent, psychotic, dangerous or prone to going off their heads than anyone else on the planet the difference is our nutters can't go out and buy assault rifles.

I guess yours don't have access to the internet either?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1515093 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Words are so much more derogatory than walking around with a gun.

You are just annoying, please just leave me alone.
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1515151 wrote: You are just annoying, please just leave me alone.I'm sure I am. Ignore me!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Gun amnesty

Post by Bruv »

Considering this thread was about the way the English deal with the dangers of gun availability, it seems the American membership have........as they say....."owned it."

The difference in the trans-Atlantic mind set is glaringly obvious.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
xfrodobagginsx

Gun amnesty

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Bruv;1515155 wrote: Considering this thread was about the way the English deal with the dangers of gun availability, it seems the American membership have........as they say....."owned it."

The difference in the trans-Atlantic mind set is glaringly obvious.

The danger is in gun UNavailability. The bad guys will always be able to get guns and when they know you don't have one, they are much more likely to rob or kill you. In the areas of the US where gun control is the strictest, crime is the highest and vice versa. Gun free zones account for most of the mass shootings. Guns save lives. Criminals won't give them up or follow the law.
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

LarsMac;1514464 wrote: But, I don't want to give up my guns.

I've never given any cause to suspect that I should do so.

Well then, let me give you cause...

PROBLEM: Keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of injury and death. Gun owners may overestimate the benefits of keeping a gun in the home and underestimate the risks.

DID YOU KNOW? Where there are more guns, there are more gun deaths.

Gun death rates are 7 times higher in the states with the highest compared with the lowest household gun ownership. (Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009).

An estimated 41% of gun-related homicides and 94% of gun-related suicides would not occur under the same circumstances had no guns been present (Wiebe, p. 780).

Household gun ownership levels vary greatly by state, from 60 percent in Wyoming to 9 percent in Hawaii (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2001).

DID YOU KNOW? Keeping a gun in the home raises the risk of homicide.

States with the highest levels of gun ownership have 114 percent higher firearm homicide rates and 60 percent higher homicide rates than states with the lowest gun ownership (Miller, Hemenway, and Azrael, 2007, pp. 659, 660).

The risk of homicide is three times higher in homes with firearms (Kellermann, 1993, p. 1084).

Higher gun ownership puts both men and women at a higher risk for homicide, particularly gun homicide (Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009).

DID YOU KNOW? Keeping a gun in the home raises the risk of suicide.

Keeping a firearm in the home increases the risk of suicide by a factor of 3 to 5 and increases the risk of suicide with a firearm by a factor of 17 (Kellermann, p. 467, p. Wiebe, p. 771).

The association between firearm ownership and increased risk of suicide cannot be explained by a higher risk of psychiatric disorders in homes with guns (Miller, p. 183).

DID YOU KNOW? A gun in the home is more likely to be used in a homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used in self-defense.

Every time a gun injures or kills in self-defense, it is used:

11 times for completed and attempted suicides (Kellermann, 1998, p. 263).

7 times in criminal assaults and homicides, and

4 times in unintentional shooting deaths or injuries.

DID YOU KNOW? Many children and teens live in homes with firearms, including ones that are loaded and unlocked.

One third of all households with children younger than eighteen have a firearm (Johnson, 2004 p.179).

More than 40% of gun-owning households with children store their guns unlocked (Schuster, p. 590).

One fourth of homes with children and guns have a loaded firearm (Johnson, 2004 p.179).

Between 6% and 14% of firearm owning households with a child under 18 have an unlocked and loaded firearm (Johnson, 2004, p.175).

In almost half of unintentional shooting deaths (49 percent), the victim is shot by another person. In virtually all of these cases, the shooter and victim knew each other (Hemenway, p. 1184).

DID YOU KNOW? Parents may underestimate their children’s access to guns in the home. Women may not know about guns in the home or be unable to assure safe storage, despite wanting it.

Among gun-owning parents who reported that their children had never handled their firearms at home, 22% of the children, questioned separately, said that they had (Baxley and Miller, p. 542).

For unmarried mothers, when an adolescent boy reports a handgun in the home, nearly three-fourths of the mothers say there is no handgun in the home (Sorenson, p. 15).

Of youths who committed suicide with firearms, 82% obtained the firearm from their home, usually a parent’s firearm (The National Violent Injury Statistics System, p. 2).

When storage status was noted, about two-thirds of the firearms had been stored unlocked (The National Violent Injury Statistics System, p. 2).

Among the remaining cases in which the firearms had been locked, the youth knew the combination or where the key was kept or broke into the cabinet (The National Violent Injury Statistics System, p. 2).

Among married women living in gun-owning households, 94 percent believed in safe gun-storage practices but 43% of those households stored their family’s gun unsafely (Johnson, 2007, pp. 5, 8).

Women are less likely than men to own the guns in their homes (Johnson, 2007 p. 4).

Women are less likely than men to report a gun’s presence in the home (Johnson, 2004 p. 180).
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

xfrodobagginsx;1515163 wrote: The danger is in gun UNavailability. The bad guys will always be able to get guns and when they know you don't have one, they are much more likely to rob or kill you. In the areas of the US where gun control is the strictest, crime is the highest and vice versa. Gun free zones account for most of the mass shootings. Guns save lives. Criminals won't give them up or follow the law.

None of that is true, it's all myth and propaganda...period. Look at the real statistics. Look up the gun statistics for Australia, England, Belgium, or Japan. Those countries got rid of their guns and saw a HUGE decline in gun violence. In Japan, it's almost nonexistent now. What? Are they better than the US? Why can't we do that same?

Here's some REAL truth:

Gun death rates are 7 times higher in the states with the highest compared with the lowest household gun ownership. (Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009).

States with the highest levels of gun ownership have 114 percent higher firearm homicide rates and 60 percent higher homicide rates than states with the lowest gun ownership (Miller, Hemenway, and Azrael, 2007, pp. 659, 660).

The risk of homicide is three times higher in homes with firearms (Kellermann, 1993, p. 1084).

A gun in the home is more likely to be used in a homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used in self-defense.

Every time a gun injures or kills in self-defense, it is used:

11 times for completed and attempted suicides (Kellermann, 1998, p. 263).

7 times in criminal assaults and homicides, and

4 times in unintentional shooting deaths or injuries.

Keeping a gun in the home raises the risk of suicide.

Keeping a firearm in the home increases the risk of suicide by a factor of 3 to 5 and increases the risk of suicide with a firearm by a factor of 17 (Kellermann, p. 467, p. Wiebe, p. 771).

The association between firearm ownership and increased risk of suicide cannot be explained by a higher risk of psychiatric disorders in homes with guns (Miller, p. 183).
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1515127 wrote:

Americans are not any more violent, psychotic, dangerous or prone to going off their heads than anyone else on the planet. The difference is our nutters can't go out and buy assault rifles.

That is the most relevant and clear statement I have ever heard concerning gun control.
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

xfrodobagginsx;1515163 wrote: Guns save lives.

I don't have to convince you. 32,000 Americans will die from gun violence just this year. That's worse than all 17 years of Vietnam and all 17 years of Afghanistan Iraq combined! In one year! And it will happen all over again next year.

The fact is that gun violence will touch you, your family, or someone you love sooner or later. It's the law of probability. Then, of course, you'll come around to my side. (Unless you are some kind of soulless monster!)

Too bad it will be too late for your loved ones...
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Gun sales on track to set a record

Currently every year there are fewer homicides by use of a firearm.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 8
LarsMac

Gun amnesty

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1515171 wrote: Gun sales on track to set a record

Currently every year there are fewer homicides by use of a firearm.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Well, actually, just about all homicides were trending down through 2014.

But then, that was 3 years ago, now.

Are you suggesting there is a correlation to the increase in gun sales?
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Gun amnesty

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1515171 wrote: Currently every year there are fewer homicides by use of a firearm.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 8The information from the FBI website is unreliable because the data received is on a voluntary basis from local law enforcement. Not all information that would be needed to make any definitive statement regarding violent crime and homicidal data is listed.

I know I've posted this same information in the past at FG and to you specifically, but it keeps getting ignored anyway.

From your source. The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program has been the starting place for law enforcement executives, students of criminal justice, researchers, members of the media, and the public at large seeking information on crime in the nation. The program was conceived in 1929 by the International Association of Chiefs of Police to meet the need for reliable uniform crime statistics for the nation. In 1930, the FBI was tasked with collecting, publishing, and archiving those statistics.

Today, four annual publications, Crime in the United States, National Incident-Based Reporting System, Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, and Hate Crime Statistics are produced from data received from over 18,000 city, university/college, county, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement agencies voluntarily participating in the program. The crime data are submitted either through a state UCR Program or directly to the FBI’s UCR Program. https://ucr.fbi.gov/?came_from=https%3A ... i.gov/word

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Gun amnesty

Post by Bruv »

xfrodobagginsx;1515163 wrote: The danger is in gun UNavailability. The bad guys will always be able to get guns and when they know you don't have one, they are much more likely to rob or kill you. In the areas of the US where gun control is the strictest, crime is the highest and vice versa. Gun free zones account for most of the mass shootings. Guns save lives. Criminals won't give them up or follow the law.

As with most of your ramblings..........you talk sh*te.
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1515173 wrote: Well, actually, just about all homicides were trending down through 2014.

But then, that was 3 years ago, now.

Are you suggesting there is a correlation to the increase in gun sales?

Not really. My point is that the accessibility of firearms has little if any affect on homicide rates. The last two years has seen an overall increase in homicides by most all all weapons.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 4
LarsMac

Gun amnesty

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1515184 wrote: Not really. My point is that the accessibility of firearms has little if any affect on homicide rates. The last two years has seen an overall increase in homicides by most all all weapons.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 4

True, more firearms does not directly correlate to more homicides by firearms.

However, do you not find the fact that more than 70% of the total homicides listed include firearms.

There are all kinds of ways to play with the numbers, but firearms do make killing someone far easier and more certain.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1515186 wrote: True, more firearms does not directly correlate to more homicides by firearms.

However, do you not find the fact that more than 70% of the total homicides listed include firearms.

There are all kinds of ways to play with the numbers, but firearms do make killing someone far easier and more certain.

That is true. I went to my favorite whipping post Hey Jackass to see if Chicago followed the same trend, seems it did.

Did a little surfing and found this, Why Are Shootings Deadlier In Some Cities Than Others?

It looks good to me. Reminded me of what Ahso! posted about the FBI stats do not get all the numbers. Even if we had all the numbers, how much of the story does the raw homicide numbers tell us?
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

Let's get this straight: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period. If you want to refer to some small trend here in the US, you'd better look at the big picture first.

Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries, a new study finds.

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said.

The study was published online Feb. 1 in The American Journal of Medicine.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," said study author Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," she said in a journal news release.

The review of 2010 World Health Organization data also revealed that despite having a similar rate of nonlethal crimes as those countries, the United States has a much higher rate of deadly violence, mostly due to the higher rate of gun-related murders.

The researchers also found that compared to people in the other high-income nations, Americans are seven times more likely to die from violence and six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun.

"More than two-thirds of the homicides in the U.S. are firearm homicides and studies have suggested that the non-gun homicide rate in the U.S. may be high because the gun homicide rate is high," Grinshteyn said.

"For example, offenders take into account the threat posed by their adversaries. Individuals are more likely to have lethal intent if they anticipate that their adversaries will be armed," she explained.

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States. And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.
xfrodobagginsx

Gun amnesty

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Saint_;1515195 wrote: Let's get this straight: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period. If you want to refer to some small trend here in the US, you'd better look at the big picture first.

Americans are 10 times more likely to be killed by guns than people in other developed countries, a new study finds.

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said.

"Overall, our results show that the U.S., which has the most firearms per capita in the world, suffers disproportionately from firearms compared with other high-income countries," said study author Erin Grinshteyn, an assistant professor at the School of Community Health Science at the University of Nevada-Reno. "These results are consistent with the hypothesis that our firearms are killing us rather than protecting us," she said in a journal news release.

The review of 2010 World Health Organization data also revealed that despite having a similar rate of nonlethal crimes as those countries, the United States has a much higher rate of deadly violence, mostly due to the higher rate of gun-related murders.

The researchers also found that compared to people in the other high-income nations, Americans are seven times more likely to die from violence and six times more likely to be accidentally killed with a gun.

"More than two-thirds of the homicides in the U.S. are firearm homicides and studies have suggested that the non-gun homicide rate in the U.S. may be high because the gun homicide rate is high," Grinshteyn said.

"For example, offenders take into account the threat posed by their adversaries. Individuals are more likely to have lethal intent if they anticipate that their adversaries will be armed," she explained.

Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths. The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found. Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States. And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.

The reason for the 2nd Amendment in America is to protect Americans from Government Tyranny. The US is the freest nation on the earth and that's a big reason. Also, you seem to be very concerned with HOW a person is murdered, rather than the fact that the murder took place in the first place. If they didn't use a gun, they would have used a knife or a car or something else. The murder rate is what we really need to be worried about. People use knives and cars to murder, should we outlaw them too?

Murder rate by Country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

Violent Crime Rate By Country:

Countries Compared by Crime > Violent crime > Murder rate. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

xfrodobagginsx;1515209 wrote: The reason for the 2nd Amendment in America is to protect Americans from Government Tyranny.

What a joke. The government has nuclear weapons, you think they can't tyrannize you if they want to?

The US is the freest nation on the earth and that's a big reason.

Free to kill 32,000 of ourselves a year? I'm pretty sure the founding fathers never intended that.

If they didn't use a gun, they would have used a knife or a car or something else.

Another untruth. When guns go away, so does most violence. Look at Japan.

People use knives and cars to murder, should we outlaw them too?

We register and license people who drive cars and they have to carry insurance for the damage they do. Worse yet, we don't let anyone under 16 use one. Why isn't that done with guns?
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1515195 wrote: Let's get this straight: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period. If you want to refer to some small trend here in the US, you'd better look at the big picture first.

That's all fine and nice, but really, who cares?

Hate to be dismissive, but I targeted two countries with strict gun laws which I know have homicide rates siaular to if not exceed that of the US. Trouble is finding is reliable information to compare to the US and the other nations.

There is enough problem not only between US states and cities, but inside cities that gun violence can vary from block to block. Not important to me what other countries with histories and cultures foreign to me are doing.
Bruv

Gun amnesty

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1515220 wrote: That's all fine and nice, but really, who cares?

Hate to be dismissive, but I targeted two countries with strict gun laws which I know have homicide rates siaular to if not exceed that of the US. Trouble is finding is reliable information to compare to the US and the other nations.

There is enough problem not only between US states and cities, but inside cities that gun violence can vary from block to block. Not important to me what other countries with histories and cultures foreign to me are doing.

Who really cares ?

Relatives of the 32,000 dead ?
tude dog

Gun amnesty

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1515225 wrote: Who really cares ?

Relatives of the 32,000 dead ?

Really? They care how we stack off with a list of foreign countries?

I'll move on.

All firearm deaths

Number of deaths: 33,594

Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.5

Firearm suicides

Number of deaths: 21,386

Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.7

64% of firearm deaths are self inflicted. Whose business is it to tell somebody the proper way to check out?

So now we are at 12,208 deaths other than by suicide.

Chicago's 762 homicides in 2016 is highest in 19 years

That counts for 6% of all gun homicides in a country of 300 million.

I suggest we focus our attention on the problem, not to gun.
Bruv

Gun amnesty

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1515256 wrote: Really? They care how we stack off with a list of foreign countries?

OK probably not...........if that was the question.

To concerned grieving I would guess

I suggest we focus our attention on the problem, not to gun.

No guns no problem ?

People just very seldom have fatal accidents, or cause death to tens of fellow human beings from roof tops, or have drive byes with knives.
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

Meanwhile in America...

Attached files
Saint_

Gun amnesty

Post by Saint_ »

Just because....

Attached files

Return to “General Chit Chat”