Diabetes

Ahso!

Diabetes

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1517617 wrote: The salami I'm talking about are artisan farm produce imported from Italy, made from locally farmed pork, salt, pepper, herbs, spices and wine. I'm unacquainted with the term "lunchmeat" but I doubt it bears much resemblance.You're a vegetarian, aren't you?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

The whole point of an Italian artisan salame is it has no chemical preservatives, it came into being at least two thousand years ago because it would remain edible for six months, unlike a dead pig. It's not industrial waste, it's food.

Today's lunch is sprats and mustard fried in butter.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Diabetes

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1517628 wrote: The whole point of an Italian artisan salame is it has no chemical preservatives, it came into being at least two thousand years ago because it would remain edible for six months, unlike a dead pig. It's not industrial waste, it's food.

Today's lunch is sprats and mustard fried in butter.

Ahso!;1517626 wrote: You're a vegetarian, aren't you?

It would appear not.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Diabetes

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1517628 wrote: The whole point of an Italian artisan salame is it has no chemical preservatives, it came into being at least two thousand years ago because it would remain edible for six months, unlike a dead pig. It's not industrial waste, it's food.

Today's lunch is sprats and mustard fried in butter.Can you say 'seafood' and 'saturated fat'?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Diabetes

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1517632 wrote: It would appear not.He likes to play games.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1517626 wrote: You're a vegetarian, aren't you?

I shall attempt to explain.

The food industry doesn't provide the range of food I'd consider ethical. Ethical food is derived from mono-cellular life, not multi-cellular life. As far as I'm concerned, eating grain is no less unethical than eating pigs, primates or new-born humans. A sheaf of wheat is not much different to the farmer who grew it, biologically speaking.

While proper ethical food is unavailable, I'll eat what I can find in a shop.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

Fasting Blood Glucose resembling the 20th century world record for running the mile.

I tried eating kale yesterday. How does anyone do that!

Attached files
AnneBoleyn

Diabetes

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I love kale.
LarsMac

Diabetes

Post by LarsMac »

Kale makes a nice addition to a salad of greens. If you like a salad of greens.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1517651 wrote: Kale makes a nice addition to a salad of greens. If you like a salad of greens.

I may turn green at this rate. Lunch consisted of half a cucumber roughly chopped, half a fennel bulb ditto, a scattering of german sausage, chilli sauce and sour cream. Cold, not cooked. To be eaten at fridge temperature. It's not natural.
LarsMac

Diabetes

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1517639 wrote: I shall attempt to explain.

The food industry doesn't provide the range of food I'd consider ethical. Ethical food is derived from mono-cellular life, not multi-cellular life. As far as I'm concerned, eating grain is no less unethical than eating pigs, primates or new-born humans. A sheaf of wheat is not much different to the farmer who grew it, biologically speaking.

Well, here ya go. your dietary predicament may soon be resolved:

Scientists figure out how to recycle astronauts' feces into edible goo
- DH Lawrence
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

I'm not entirely convinced. That's quite like drinking milk. The world has hundreds of millions of unethically domesticated dairy cattle providing milk for commercial gain. Admittedly the astronauts would exist regardless of their food-generating capability but it's still not an algae farm.

Besides, did Andy Weir not already popularize that plot in The Martian?
LarsMac

Diabetes

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1517658 wrote: I'm not entirely convinced. That's quite like drinking milk. The world has hundreds of millions of unethically domesticated dairy cattle providing milk for commercial gain. Admittedly the astronauts would exist regardless of their food-generating capability but it's still not an algae farm.

Besides, did Andy Weir not already popularize that plot in The Martian?

I believe he was growing potatoes, using his own output as fertilizer. A bit different, but I reckon the overall concept is the same.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

This waking blood glucose thing is still headed in the right direction, it was 5.2 mmol/L (94 mg/dl) today. My 3-week weight is on track, 12lb down. Parsnip soup for lunch.

I've reformatted the tables from the "International Tables of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values: 2008" at International Tables of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values: 2008 | Diabetes Care. The tables carry a Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load "of over 2,480 individual food items" but the table is a PDF so it can't be manipulated. All I've done is shifted it to a spreadsheet (.csv format) and added a column for "Net carbohydrates(g) / GL(g)" to sort by the efficiency of the GL. The revision is now permanently available at if anyone wants it. The more formatted libreoffice .ods file is attached.

Attached files food1f.ods (253.7 KB) 
AnneBoleyn

Diabetes

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Excellent!
Wandrin

Diabetes

Post by Wandrin »

It seems that Apple, Fitbit, and Google are interested in the needle free glucose monitors mentioned earlier. You may find this article to be interesting. link
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

That's something I'd not heard of, it's interesting. I'll ask Dexcom what their current price is for continuous monitoring and then I'll see what the launch price from Fitbit is.
Bryn Mawr

Diabetes

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1517639 wrote: I shall attempt to explain.

From today's WikiTribune :-

https://www.wikitribune.com/story/2017/ ... 400ec60fc2
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

And not before time either.
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

I don't know what blood pressure is good or bad except 120 over 80 is considered nominal. My meter, as used for the first time because it arrived a half hour ago, says 109 over 65. I assume that's acceptable since I'm still capable of walking.

Oh... fasting blood glucose this morning, 4.7 mmol/L (84 mg/dl). Given the room was frigid, that might be the meter playing up. Or maybe it's right, I've no idea.

And I just ate a cheese omelette into which I unaccountably failed to chop a spring onion.

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Diabetes

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1517746 wrote: I don't know what blood pressure is good or bad except 120 over 80 is considered nominal. My meter, as used for the first time because it arrived a half hour ago, says 109 over 65. I assume that's acceptable since I'm still capable of walking.

Oh... fasting blood glucose this morning, 4.7 mmol/L (84 mg/dl). Given the room was frigid, that might be the meter playing up. Or maybe it's right, I've no idea.

And I just ate a cheese omelette into which I unaccountably failed to chop a spring onion.

It must run in the family, that's pretty much where my BP sits. The only time a medic has been concerned was when the distance between the two dropped.

Averaging under a thousand calories might be considered overdoing it - that much of a crash diet will almost certainly force the body into a starvation response and a consequential bounce back when the famine ends.
LarsMac

Diabetes

Post by LarsMac »

The main thing is to develop a diet that is sustainable over the long term. And manage calorie intake according to activity.

And don't forget to give yourself a little treat, every now and again.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1517747 wrote: Averaging under a thousand calories might be considered overdoing it - that much of a crash diet will almost certainly force the body into a starvation response and a consequential bounce back when the famine ends.

I have it in mind. Firstly I'm never dropping below 15g/day sugars, so there's a carbohydrate drip on tap. Secondly my £20 ketone meter - admittedly it's not here yet but I ordered it - will warn me if I go past 3mmol/L at which case I'll relax to 50g/day sugars and 1400 calories for a week, at which point I should stop producing ketones but not get heavier. The Wikipedia article is helpful - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response

I do have a significant weight of fat to burn before I stop.

LarsMac;1517750 wrote: The main thing is to develop a diet that is sustainable over the long term. And manage calorie intake according to activity.

And don't forget to give yourself a little treat, every now and again.

I think this has to be two-stage. Firstly I have to reach a target BMI nearer to 20. Then I need to stay there. I think the diets for each step are necessarily different.
spot

Diabetes

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1517433 wrote: You're either diabetic or you are not, and you are. Doesn't matter anymore how you think you got there; besides, you are probably wrong. It's not easy to arrive at 9.1; a few months isn't long enough. What matters now is where you go from here. You can control it, but once you are diabetic it's chronic.

I now have a third HbA1C blood test result covering a 5 month span.

Using US measures, the first-ever test in January showed 9.1%, the second at the start of April was 5.8%, this late-June test is 4.9%. In Eurospeak that's 76, 40 and 30 mmol/L.

My BMI is down from 30 to 22 and I've been told to stop there rather than get fanatical, which is a bit of a relief.

She wants to see me at Christmas to check I'm behaving.
LarsMac

Diabetes

Post by LarsMac »

Good work.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Diabetes

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1519754 wrote: I now have a third HbA1C blood test result covering a 5 month span.

Using US measures, the first-ever test in January showed 9.1%, the second at the start of April was 5.8%, this late-June test is 4.9%. In Eurospeak that's 76, 40 and 30 mmol/L.

My BMI is down from 30 to 22 and I've been told to stop there rather than get fanatical, which is a bit of a relief.

She wants to see me at Christmas to check I'm behaving.

Congratulations, it appears to have worked and all of the pain has been worth it.

Return to “Diabetes”