The Italian Caper

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
spot

The Italian Caper

Post by spot »

I spent an evening this week considering whether a holiday might be educational and found by the end that I'd booked flights and dates. I stopped before I rented a Mini Elite Convertible. Trains and the occasional bus will be more sensible.

I have a room overnight just below the Ice Club marker at the top of the map, so that's two days of the trip planned.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

The Italian Caper

Post by spot »

A bit more planning, here's a room in Naples.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

The Italian Caper

Post by Clodhopper »

There's a thing.

I inherited an oil painting of an Italian street scene dating we think to the turn of the last century. It's not very good and I have it because no-one else wanted it. The only reason I mention it is it looks almost as though you've posted a photo taken from the other end of the scene in my picture, which is looking up the hill: same curve of street, same style of buildings, same shops and stalls at street level. The differences are that the street in my picture is stepped, with no vehicles and many more people and there's laundry drying on lines across the street between the balconies. It must be a very typical southern Italian street scene.

My understanding of the painting is that Italian artists knocked them off by the dozen for tourists who bought them as mementoes and my grandparents picked one up around 1900 or maybe a touch before.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

The Italian Caper

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1508352 wrote: my grandparents picked one up around 1900 or maybe a touch before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attilio_Pratella

The Chiaia Steps in Naples are down the hill from my photo, nearer the docks. If the signature is Pratella, ring Sotheby's on +44 (0) 20 7293 5000.

I worked there one summer, programming their London saleroom on a Burroughs microsystem before there was networking.
spot

The Italian Caper

Post by spot »

martincampbell

The Italian Caper

Post by martincampbell »

Amazing city and the whole country! I like Italy so much
I need betfair free bet code
spot

The Italian Caper

Post by spot »

Blimey, it's that boy again.

He's in Spain at the moment.
gmc

The Italian Caper

Post by gmc »

Off to rome in a couple of weeks going to have a look at roman remains in rome instead of just the ones they left here.
spot

The Italian Caper

Post by spot »

I hope you have a wonderful time doing it. They have lots.
gmc

The Italian Caper

Post by gmc »

In vindolanda they have a memorial stone to the roman legionnaries that served there I was looking at it with my wife and commented that it seemed a shame they could not also have had one for the hundreds of thousands that were slaughtered or sold in to slavery as well. It was a private comment not intended for anyone else but you should have seen the reaction from a couple of the staff - it was as if I had farted in a lift. The losers in history just disappear.
Bruv

The Italian Caper

Post by Bruv »

spot;1518595 wrote: Blimey, it's that boy again.

He's in Spain at the moment.

Do you have a very long telescopic lens ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

The Italian Caper

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1518617 wrote: In vindolanda they have a memorial stone to the roman legionnaries that served there I was looking at it with my wife and commented that it seemed a shame they could not also have had one for the hundreds of thousands that were slaughtered or sold in to slavery as well. It was a private comment not intended for anyone else but you should have seen the reaction from a couple of the staff - it was as if I had farted in a lift. The losers in history just disappear.

Sounds like you think along the same lines as me. I have much more respect for the small memorial in Tavistck Park for the Concientious Objectors who refused to fight, but still volunteered for such dangerous duties as front line Ambulance Driving, etc. than the Cenotaph which people forget is also there as a memorial to those who were conscripted. Those who were sent into hopeless situations. These men were not necessarily volunteers. They had no choice in the matter. The 'Conchies' (and their families), on the other hand were villified for keeping to their principles of Peace.

Return to “Holidays”