Roasting

spot

Roasting

Post by spot »

The White House correspondents’ dinner happened again.

This idea of roasting, from what I gather, started back in the fifties or sixties as an equivalent of the best man's wedding speech, made between friends. A poke in the ribs with words. Something to amuse.

What happened this week is someone was paid to take their pants off in public and defecate on the dining table. It was not the act of a civilized society, it was an act of barbarity. It's not the first time either.

Roast has joined the list of irrevocably disreputable concepts such as banter and warrior. Banter leads to pussy-grabbing, Warrior leads to collateral damage, Roasting leads to disgust.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Roasting

Post by Bruv »

Are we referring to the Michelle Wolf routine ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Roasting

Post by spot »

Bruv;1518920 wrote: Are we referring to the Michelle Wolf routine ?

So the news tells me, though I've never heard of her or seen her perform. Who it was is immaterial, I'm criticizing the notion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Roasting

Post by Bruv »

For your edification.

I enjoyed it, it is a comedy routine.
spot

Roasting

Post by spot »

Bruv;1518924 wrote:

For your edification.

I enjoyed it, it is a comedy routine.

It consisted of a series of grotesque insults.
LarsMac

Roasting

Post by LarsMac »

Yep. society in general, but particularly my fair nation, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, has certainly fallen a step or two down The Grand Stairway of Civilization.

Don Rickles made the "roast" a tool of his trade, but in truth, his targets were generally left feeling good about themselves.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Roasting

Post by Bruv »

spot;1518926 wrote: It consisted of a series of grotesque insults.

There are no jokes that don't insult, humiliate, tease, degrade, or get the better of in some way.

This is the extreme end of humour, the sort that makes you gasp and question why you are laughing......or not....in your case.

I will honestly admit to not following many of the references while at the same time enjoying the discomfort of the audience.

If you go to a bull fight you expect to see an animal slaughtered.
magentaflame

Roasting

Post by magentaflame »

Ive watched a few roastings from the sixties....must be a yank thing. I thought them funny but for one when they were roasting Frank Sinatra....bit of caution was had there.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Roasting

Post by gmc »

Given some of the offensive comment about the press, women hispanics, lbgt people etc for trump et al to complain about it being in bad taste is a bit rich. She didn't incite anyone to go out and assault anyone or out anyone's life in danger more than you can say for trump. Allegedly americans don't get irony especially on the right. If it was a male comedian I suspect the reaction might have been different. You did notice the laughter I take it. It is an american thing a way, I think, of reminding a president their power is temporary and they are not beyond ridicule that trump can't take it is no surprise that he shoyuld thibnk it should not be allowed says a lot about the man.
tude dog

Roasting

Post by tude dog »

I'd like to respond directly to Lars

LarsMac

Re: Roasting

Yep. society in general, but particularly my fair nation, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, has certainly fallen a step or two down The Grand Stairway of Civilization.

Don Rickles made the "roast" a tool of his trade, but in truth, his targets were generally left feeling good about themselves.

I mostly agree, but sometimes there are those who do not deserve such respect. Never made it a secret that I am not a big fan of Obama, but this was a really good performance.

Trump like a child will never again attend because he was so well burned and a million tweets would only remind everybody of what he should be ashamed of.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

Roasting

Post by gmc »

Watched a ducmentary on the KKK last night,the level of race hatred in america beggars belief, sadly it's spreading over here now thanks to ukip and the tories.

Let's hope trump doesn't get the last laugh

Return to “Current Events”