Request for feedback on adjustments to FG

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
spot

Post by spot »

I've tinkered and several of the problems have cleared up, some are definitely still present on the site.

Could I have comments on what still needs fixing.

I'm aware "New Posts" is not reacting to posts promptly, I have it in mind to reduce the cache life to 10 seconds for a trial but I'll keep an eye on performance while doing that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521616 wrote: I've tinkered and several of the problems have cleared up, some are definitely still present on the site.

Could I have comments on what still needs fixing.

I'm aware "New Posts" is not reacting to posts promptly, I have it in mind to reduce the cache life to 10 seconds for a trial but I'll keep an eye on performance while doing that.

Timeout on the login expires more quickly the of yore. Whereas before the new post list was showing threads where you'd seen all of the posts, it now misses some threads with outstanding posts. This post will test whether the editor is still ignoring line breaks. Yes, it is.
spot

Post by spot »

I just got the advanced editor. I'll check whether that's my default but I thought I was meant to get the quick editor. Hmm.

The login timeout applies when "remember me" is not selected. It was 4 hours, I've put it to 8 for the moment to make any error more obvious.

I can't replicate the line break issue. Perhaps gmc can confirm it happened to him recently? ETA: And Fourpart.

I'll watch carefully for posts I've not seen dropping off the "New Posts" list.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521619 wrote: I just got the advanced editor. I'll check whether that's my default but I thought I was meant to get the quick editor. Hmm.

The login timeout applies when "remember me" is not selected. It was 4 hours, I've put it to 8 for the moment to make any error more obvious.

I can't replicate the line break issue. Perhaps gmc can confirm it happened to him recently?

I'll watch carefully for posts I've not seen dropping off the "New Posts" list.
The new posts problem shows up best when comparing the highlighted threads in Today's Posts with those showing in New Posts. In general the board feels much better for the changes, especially getting rid of the delay in updating the search lists.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1521645 wrote: The new posts problem shows up best when comparing the highlighted threads in Today's Posts with those showing in New Posts.

I've banged at it for several minutes and so long as I bring up the actual new post, not just the thread with the new post in it, the new post thread disappears immediately from the New Post list. If all I do is look at the start of the thread instead of the page with the actual new post in, then the thread stays shown. Other than that it's behaving for me as I'd expect it to, but I'll continue to check.

I'm testing with the same browser as you: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521646 wrote: I've banged at it for several minutes and so long as I bring up the actual new post, not just the thread with the new post in it, the new post thread disappears immediately from the New Post list. If all I do is look at the start of the thread instead of the page with the actual new post in, then the thread stays shown. Other than that it's behaving for me as I'd expect it to, but I'll continue to check.

I'm testing with the same browser as you: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

The oddity way a couple of threads that I had not looked at disappearing from the new post list but still showing as unread in the today's post list. Since I posted about it the problem has not reoccurred so I'd mark it down as a transient and ignore it.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1521647 wrote: I'd mark it down as a transient and ignore it.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

The feature tabs, ie font size, insert video, wrap quotes, insert email etc, are not working for me when I compile a post.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

For me, now, the new posts listing seems to be working as expected. It was showing things like "5 new posts" yet listing 15-20 when selected.

Or showing 5 new posts, and when selected indicating that there were no new items.

As Snowfire pointed out, the editing tool seems nearly completely broken.

Also, adding new items to the Gallery fails miserably.

I almost exclusively use Chrome browser, but can try a few others, if you wish.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1521656 wrote: The feature tabs, ie font size, insert video, wrap quotes, insert email etc, are not working for me when I compile a post.

My mind reacted curiously to that. I'd noticed in the sense that I'd had my italic command ignored, but I'd not remembered it when listing errors. Possibly because I have no idea what I did to break it.

I'll go and look.
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1521658 wrote: I almost exclusively use Chrome browser, but can try a few others, if you wish.
My word no - don't go actively looking for mistakes!
spot

Post by spot »

Okay. Testing. I've just put back a small option I took out earlier during a major prune.

No, all the WYSIWYG editor buttons are definitely dead still.

BTTDB.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521665 wrote: Okay. Testing. I've just put back a small option I took out earlier during a major prune.

No, all the WYSIWYG editor buttons are definitely dead still.

BTTDB.

Neither Firefox not Chrome, with all blockers disabled. After all these years I've finally disabled all the site's text-body smilies.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Another problem finds a workaround.

If, like me, your posts have all been reformatted into a single line, go into Settings>General Settings and towards the bottom of the page select standard editor instead of advanced editor.

It looks much the same but does not edit out line feeds.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1521675 wrote: Another problem finds a workaround.

If, like me, your posts have all been reformatted into a single line, go into Settings>General Settings and towards the bottom of the page select standard editor instead of advanced editor.

It looks much the same but does not edit out line feeds.

Goodness this looks messy - ndon't panic, I'm now where you were, I'm exploring. aa. bb. cc.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521676 wrote: Goodness this looks messy - ndon't panic, I'm now where you were, I'm exploring. aa. bb. cc.

I've reproduced your all-one-paragraph thing, that's a step forward.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521677 wrote: I've reproduced your all-one-paragraph thing, that's a step forward.

And this is the Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls.

I still have no mouse or shortcut key access to the formatting controls themselves.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521678 wrote: And this is the Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls.

I still have no mouse or shortcut key access to the formatting controls themselves.

Now in the Simple Editor I can still not get formatting commands from the shortcut keys.

I can type them as BBCode, of course. Part of my problem is I've never used formatting buttons or shortcuts anyway, so I've no idea how long they've been inactive.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521679 wrote: Now in the Simple Editor I can still not get formatting commands from the shortcut keys.

I can type them as BBCode, of course. Part of my problem is I've never used formatting buttons or shortcuts anyway, so I've no idea how long they've been inactive.

Now that is weird, I can see that your italic commands are both in square brackets in the source text but it's displaying the first set (and interpreting them) as braces.

ETA And now I've posted this your post is behaving correctly :-(
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1521681 wrote: Now that is weird, I can see that your italic commands are both in square brackets in the source text but it's displaying the first set (and interpreting them) as braces.

ETA And now I've posted this your post is behaving correctly :-(

That was me, I posted braces round the i and then edit posted a correction, you were quick getting in there.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521683 wrote: That was me, I posted braces round the i and then edit posted a correction, you were quick getting in there.

At least I'm not totally mad then :-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1521647 wrote: The oddity way a couple of threads that I had not looked at disappearing from the new post list but still showing as unread in the today's post list. Since I posted about it the problem has not reoccurred so I'd mark it down as a transient and ignore it.

OK, it has just reoccurred.

I last posted at 20:31, I then hit new posts at 20:49 and I'd been logged out and the today's posts showed a couple of threads I'd not completely read.

I logged back in and New Posts shows blank but Today's posts still shows the unread threads as highlighted. The home page shows three posts as unread.

I had done nothing that should have deleted cookies or cleared the cache but I did notice that there was a short period (ten to fifteen seconds) where I had no connection to the internet.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1521684 wrote: At least I'm not totally mad then :-)

testing
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521689 wrote: testing

Back to the advanced editor.
spot

Post by spot »

If anyone noticed the complete white-out of the site for a minute, that was me too.
spot

Post by spot »

test, duplicate INSERT
spot

Post by spot »

retest, duplicate INSERT

eta: that's a relief. The site wobbled on its axis for a moment.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

After logging in, it reported 27 new posts, but when I selected to view them only 3 threads showed up, and few new posts in them.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1521694 wrote: After logging in, it reported 27 new posts, but when I selected to view them only 3 threads showed up, and few new posts in them.

I reset the counters at some point today, that may have had an effect.

Or there's 27 new posts in 3 threads? That sounds possible. There's near 20 in this one.
spot

Post by spot »

The things not working now are the advanced editor buttons, which has killed the click-smilie insertion as well as rest of the BBcode insertion. There's also no save button visible after attachment uploads.

I think the only way forward with those errors is a new install and I've started down that route. The last time I tried, the database upgrade failed over missing CMS files (FG doesn't use CMS but the upgrade process demanded that the files had to be present, and refused to complete). If we can't upgrade, and I don't think we can, I'll try a new install while keeping all of the existing database contents. This will take a couple of weeks to prepare for.
spot

Post by spot »

ForumGarden users may anticipate perhaps one continuous period of three hours downtime between now and daylight on the 27th, that's during the next twelve hours.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1521708 wrote: ForumGarden users may anticipate perhaps one continuous period of three hours downtime between now and daylight on the 27th, that's during the next twelve hours.

Downtime deferred a few hours but still pending.
spot

Post by spot »

That was not a pleasant couple of hours.

The site is as it was, I'm still unable to complete the upgrade but for different reasons this time.

If anyone sees differences from yesterday, please let me know.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Mind if I use this thread for a test?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Snooz;1521726 wrote: Mind if I use this thread for a test?

Well done, that problem I had with the site repeatedly recycling itself after I post a comment looks to be solved.
spot

Post by spot »

That's good, I hope nobody else still has that, it was the brokenest bit.

Does anyone have a style selector? It might be called a skin these days, I've no idea but I can't find one. I'm sure it used to exist.

My WYSIWYG editor buttons and inline smilies are still disabled.

eta: and I just had my paragraphs merged! That's not happened to me before! I've got linebreaks back by going back to the Standard editor in my General Settings, the third of the three editor settings. It's the first of the options which screws up the linebreaks.
spot

Post by spot »

And the attachment management...

Yes, that works.

The 24.2MB/sec transfer speed is real, too. Megabytes, not megabits. I remember the first time I saw an intercontinental 2MB/sec and found it hard to believe, my home connection at the time was 14400bps. Summer 1994, that would have been. A domestic connection allowing a 24.2MB/sec download wasn't ever on the horizon but it's happened. £50/month.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Signing in wasn't an issue this time. I didn't need to refresh the pages to post.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

...Though 'today's posts' from the 'my tools' button comes up empty.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1521731 wrote: ...Though 'today's posts' from the 'my tools' button comes up empty.

I don't think there have been any posts, today, other than this thread, which does not show in Today's posts. I believe that is by intent
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1521732 wrote: I don't think there have been any posts, today, other than this thread, which does not show in Today's posts. I believe that is by intent

I have three, this one, what are you listening to right now and I am the new guy.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1521733 wrote: I have three, this one, what are you listening to right now and I am the new guy.

Same as I have this time.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

clock seems to be off a tad.

Set for Mountain time (GMT -7) in settings,
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac;1521739 wrote: clock seems to be off a tad.

Set for Mountain time (GMT -7) in settings,

nevermind.

It is good, now.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

General Feedback

1. Line Breaks aren't working unless using html (as used in this post).

2. Image inserts (and presumably other tools along the way) aren't working.

3. New Posts appear to be updating, so far.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1521745 wrote: General Feedback

1. Line Breaks aren't working unless using html (as used in this post).

2. Image inserts (and presumably other tools along the way) aren't working.

3. New Posts appear to be updating, so far.

Line breaks seem to work with the Standard editor selected.

WYSIWYG editor seems a bit flaky

And, no, none of the other editing "enhancements" seem to be at all functional.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The other issue that I have noted lately, the whole Picture gallery seems out of sorts.

Specifically, the function to upload pics is broken.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1521791 wrote: The other issue that I have noted lately, the whole Picture gallery seems out of sorts.

Specifically, the function to upload pics is broken.

Specifically, you can upload them, but only as attachments. As with the other options on the Toolbar, you can't embed them.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Just tried to get to Night Watchman's thread Violence in London. Cause? and it said invalid link specified, contact an admin if it should link (or words to that effect).

Also, italics aren't working.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1521807 wrote: Specifically, you can upload them, but only as attachments. As with the other options on the Toolbar, you can't embed them.
I see the new page that has the upload interface, and can select pics, then choose upload.

However that seems the end of it. The function to save them to the album is no longer present.

They never get added to the album.

I can still add existing images to a post:

- DH Lawrence

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”