Matthew 12:40

Discuss the Christian Faith.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

rstrats;1527088 wrote: But maybe someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

In my view the " Heart of the earth " expression can mean the inner part of the ground or grave, just as we view our heart being inside the inner most part of our chest. . So it just means the grave and a tomb is a grave. So a body can be in a tomb above the ground but still be considered buried in a grave. Also it can be interpreted as meaning Jesus can get inside of the human consciousness and search the heart. Or that he can visit the world of the dead and raise them back to life.

As far as how the 3 days are figured, that is illrelevant to me how it is factored in different minds of study.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

Mickiel,

re: "In my view the 'Heart of the earth' expression can mean the inner part of the ground or grave..."

And that is to whom this topic is directed, i.e., someone who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the grave/tomb.

re: "As far as how the 3 days are figured, that is illrelevant to me how it is factored in different minds of study."

That would be an issue for a different topic.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Apparently, not many people find it to be in need of resolution.

Though I find it interesting the use of the phrase "three days and three nights" while in the society to which he is speaking, a day is from sundown to sundown, therefore a night and a day.

so he was only by the most twisted logic even remotely there for three days at all.

If they got him prepared and in the tomb before sundown then there is the briefest of a day Friday (and no night), then the full night and day of Saturday, and the night of Sunday, then by Dawn he was out. So, at most 36 hours. two nights and a day.

One can only presume that the author of Matthew made the whole thing up, long after the fact. Or they meant something else entirely by that passage, and it had nothing to do with being "in the tomb"

Another thought - Since indications are that Matthew was actually written long after, probably a century or more after the events. it was intended for an audience for whom the day and night no longer were considered in the same fashion as it was by the Hebrews.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

Hi all. Spen a lot of time in the hospital with an infection (not coved 19). Back soon.
Ted

Post by Ted »

any thetime of Jesus Friday was the sabbath. so Saturday was equal to our Sunday so Jesus was entombed Thus night #fitst night. Saturday was the second night. Due to the way the ancient calendar was used the third night was Sunday the next night was the third because the Third day did not end until early Monday morning
spot

Post by spot »

Ted;1532007 wrote: Hi all. Spen a lot of time in the hospital with an infection (not coved 19). Back soon.

I hope you get back to health soon Ted, it's good to hear from you.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

Ted,

re: "any thetime of Jesus Friday was the sabbath. so Saturday was equal to our Sunday so Jesus was entombed Thus night #fitst night. Saturday was the second night. Due to the way the ancient calendar was used the third night was Sunday the next night was the third because the Third day did not end until early Monday morning "

That would be an issue for a different topic.
rstrats

Re: Matthew 12:40

Post by rstrats »

Since it's been awhile, maybe someone new looking in may know of examples.
spot

Post by spot »

One can only hope. My fervent wish is that your curiosity should be immediately and fully satisfied on the matter.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

And again, that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.
spot

Post by spot »

You have my sympathy, it must be terrible to be trapped by an obsession like yours.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

rstrats wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 am And again, that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.
So, I gotta ask,
In all this time, have you actually found anyone who meets those specifications?
And, should you locate such a one, what, exactly, do you expect to accomplish with them?
- DH Lawrence
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:14 am

re: "In all this time, have you actually found anyone who meets those specifications?"

If I have, they haven't provided any examples.

re: "And, should you locate such a one, what, exactly, do you expect to accomplish with them?"

Know of examples.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am You have my sympathy, it must be terrible to be trapped by an obsession like yours.
Not at all. It's merely a diversion from every day goings on from time to time.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.
spot

Post by spot »

rstrats wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:59 pm Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.
I have a suggestion.

Several people have tried to solve your obsession and every time you've replied with "the question didn't mean that".

What would help a lot is if you were to draw a 24 by 7 grid, label the hour axis and the day axis with any start value you like and roll forward when you need to, and then color in just one single example week that would fit your riddle and say "this would work".

And then we can search the bible cover to cover and see if we can find wording which fits.

How's that.

We're pleased to see you're still alive though. Do keep checking in.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I have been around, and even in a number of conversations about this notion over the years.
My observation is that most people for whom this passage presents a problem tend to overlook one very important idea that properly explains what happened.
- DH Lawrence
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.
spot

Post by spot »

Anyone seeking a fuller discussion of the issues involved in this particular inquiry could check Google and follow the trail back across the years.

Here's a beginner's guide to obsessive behavior...

Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language? | Page 6 ...
https://www.interfaith.org › ... › Christianity
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. ... A Cup Of Tea likes this. rstrats Member.

Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language? - Page 2 - Bible ...
https://www.tapatalk.com › bibleversiondiscussionboard
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. PostMar 06 ...

Figure of speech/colloquialism? | Talk Jesus
https://www.talkjesus.com › ... › Bible Discussions
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. 0.

What is the basis for the idiomatic understanding of "three ...
https://christianity.stackexchange.com › questions › wh...
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. – rstrats. Mar 19 '18 at 20:06. Add a comment |. 4 Answers. 4. order by. active, oldest, votes.

Common Figure of Speech? | Page 4 | Christianity Haven
https://christianityhaven.com › ... › Ethics & Debate Center
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. R ...

Matthew 12:40 - Page 19 - Debating Christianity and Religion
https://debatingchristianity.com › forum › viewtopic
27 Dec 2012 — Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. Top. Eloi: Sage ...

Matthew 12:40 - Christian Beliefs Board - ThirdHour
https://thirdhour.org › ... › Christian Beliefs Board
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language? - EvC Forum
https://www.evcforum.net › ...
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. Date format: mm-dd-yyyy.

Three Days and Three Nights - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums
https://christianchat.com › ... › Bible Discussion Forum
No problem. Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. R ...

Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language? - Page 2 - Dake ...
https://www.dakebibleboard.com › viewtopic
... and not so much a word or phrase that is not literal like colloquail items." OK, no problem. Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

Three Days and Three Nights | Page 31 | Christian Forums ...
https://www.christianityboard.com › posts
rstrats Member. Messages: 332. Likes Received: 12. Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. Oct 17, 2019 #606 · Davy Well-Known Member.

Matthew 12:40 | Page 11 | US Message Board
https://www.usmessageboard.com › ... › Religion and Ethics
19 Sept 2020 — Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples. OP.

Matthew 12:40 - The Highway
https://www.the-highway.com › ubbthreads.php › topics
OP Offline. rstrats. Journeyman. Joined: Dec 2013. Posts: 75. Missouri. Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

That's a really long fishing trip.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Christianity”