Foolishness

Escape the rat race and slip on into Pub Nutters Inn.
spot

Foolishness

Post by spot »

The things some people are doing at he moment are sheer folly.

1. There's the worst hotel chain in Britain, Britannia, which fired staff and put them out of their accommodation. In winter, in Aviemore, in the snow, with no notice.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... d-19#img-2

And the back-peddlers at the chain's head office "blamed an administrative error". How can an administrative error write a letter? Some bugger wrote it. How could anyone possibly write that letter? It's a disgusting letter.

2. Some pet shop chain has issued staff with "key worker" letters to hand in at school, and told head teachers to contact their lawyers if they have an issue with it. Seriously. How can the company board not be jailed for that. Why is there no accountability.

A UK pet shop chain, Pets At Home, has been criticised for claiming key worker status for its staff. Schools in the UK have closed but children of those classified as key workers are still allowed to attend. A letter from Pets At Home tells schools to contact their legal department in case of questions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... th-america

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Foolishness

Post by gmc »

One category they seem to have forgotten about is farm workers and those who work in the food processing industry. Food shop workers are essential and personally as a pet owner I can see why a pet shop mighty see itself as essential. On the other hsnd you can buy dog dood in the supermarkets.

The things some people are doing at he moment are sheer folly.

Staff will remember and come the new season when with no european workers to fill vanancies they will struggle (I suspect) to get staff.
gmc

Foolishness

Post by gmc »

How about the worst pub chain?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 20906.html

People will remember I suspect wetherspoons will struggle to get both staff and customers after all this is over.
magentaflame

Foolishness

Post by magentaflame »

I mentioned (somewhere else) that this pandemic will show up all greedy business owners . Our government just put out a package to subsidise businesses to keep their staff on . It's a hell of a lot of money . But I suspect it will end as it always does with businesses not doing as they should.

for all the back slapping our governments and high enders of the world do to each other ....it doesn't take much for all of it to crumble does it? this is just the beginning.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Foolishness

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1531783 wrote: I But I suspect it will end as it always does with businesses not doing as they should.

Here's a perfect example from England.

A senior executive at one of Britain’s biggest outsourcing companies has told workers he believes coronavirus is “less severe” than normal influenza in a message explaining why they will not receive any special sickness benefits.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-than-flu

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Foolishness

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1531555 wrote: One category they seem to have forgotten about is farm workers and those who work in the food processing industry. Food shop workers are essential and personally as a pet owner I can see why a pet shop mighty see itself as essential. On the other hsnd you can buy dog dood in the supermarkets.

We always cook real food for our pets. Don't need pet shops.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Foolishness

Post by spot »

Here's another.

A music festival company contracted to operate emergency mortuaries in London has been accused of inadequately training workers in handling bodies, and demanding staff sign non-disclosure agreements.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... irm-london

That is just cheapskate cost-cutting. Body snatchers could get away with dozens of corpses and nobody would even notice. That's a festival tent, not a mortuary. You can get inside with just a penknife.
spot

Foolishness

Post by spot »

Authorities in a Spanish coastal resort have apologised after spraying a beach with bleach in an attempt to protect children from coronavirus.

Zahara de los Atunes, near Cadiz, used tractors to spray more than 2km (1.2 miles) of beach with a bleach solution a day before Spain allowed children out of lockdown for the first time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52471208

What unutterably thick as a plank civil servant authorized that. Who on earth is so singularly stupid as to think a mile of beach, of all places, could host coronavirus. What aspect of ecology is this twerp so ignorant of that it crossed his mind as an acceptable thing to do.
Betty Boop

Re: Foolishness

Post by Betty Boop »

We're missing a trick here! Never before has the UK, and other places needed a virtual pub!

Mine's a Kopperburg strawberry and Lime cider and a packet of cheese and onion.
john
Site Admin

Post by john »

We need a ForumGarden Zoom window if we're going to do that.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

john wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:12 pm We need a ForumGarden Zoom window if we're going to do that.
Zoom? you wouldn't touch zoom
john
Site Admin

Post by john »

Actually I think we ought to try it during the move to the new host, there may be a lot of people needing immediate handholding.

Have you seen Zoom, anyone? I haven't.

Here we are, I found it.

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/78739936711?p ... 9IckRxdz09
john
Site Admin

Post by john »

SMS Spam!

Screenshot_20200527-223054.jpg
Screenshot_20200527-223054.jpg (178.79 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
john
Site Admin

Post by john »

john wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 pm Actually I think we ought to try it during the move to the new host, there may be a lot of people needing immediate handholding.

Here we are, I found it.

Nobody's clicked the link and opened the Zoom window!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

john wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:43 pm
john wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 pm Actually I think we ought to try it during the move to the new host, there may be a lot of people needing immediate handholding.

Here we are, I found it.

Nobody's clicked the link and opened the Zoom window!
I did
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I was doing some training for my new post retirement occupation where they used Zoom.
It seems pretty decent for meetings and the like.
There is also Discord. It is very popular among gamers.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I have a Zoom account. Helps with doctors appointments and the chemist. I also have Friday and Saturday night zoom meetings for a bike club I joined. We sometimes have up to 10 people happily chatting. Same old thing about trying to talk over anyone you cancel each other out . Most use their phones or Ipads and laptops. Desktops tops and laptops are better because you can grid/share the screen.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I downloaded Zoom at the start of lockdown as something to use for meetings for a regular weekly meet up group I am in. I only down loaded it because one woman refused to use facebook messenger. Sent her all the links and explanations as to how to use Zoom, which took me some time laying it all out easy for her as she is a major technophobe, for her to look at it once and panic and say nooooo I'll download messenger ggrrrrr I won't bother in the future.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:07 am I downloaded Zoom at the start of lockdown as something to use for meetings for a regular weekly meet up group I am in. I only down loaded it because one woman refused to use facebook messenger. Sent her all the links and explanations as to how to use Zoom, which took me some time laying it all out easy for her as she is a major technophobe, for her to look at it once and panic and say nooooo I'll download messenger ggrrrrr I won't bother in the future.
I hate FB messenger on the phone.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:07 am I downloaded Zoom at the start of lockdown as something to use for meetings for a regular weekly meet up group I am in. I only down loaded it because one woman refused to use facebook messenger. Sent her all the links and explanations as to how to use Zoom, which took me some time laying it all out easy for her as she is a major technophobe, for her to look at it once and panic and say nooooo I'll download messenger ggrrrrr I won't bother in the future.
I feel your pain. In one regular zoom social meeting I'm in, there's one person who has a problem connecting every single time . I'm beginning to think it's a "look at me" situation. She gets the same info every time, every time she has some sort of problem and takes everyones time up in the meeting.
spot

Post by spot »

And another, if I may.

A clean-up operation is under way after a seaside village became covered in sand blown off a beach in high winds.
Cars, gardens and roads in Walcott, Norfolk, were left concealed by the storm on Friday and Saturday.
People living there said they "could not believe it" and had "never seen it like this before".
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) recently pumped 1.8m cubic metres of sand on Bacton and Walcott beaches as part of a coastal management scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54324144

Longer-term context for management of coastal flood and erosion risk as set-out in
the Mounts Bay Strategy (copy provided to CH2M in advance of meeting), which is
currently leaning towards a “sandscaping” solution in about 20 years or so time
(subject to further investigations) that would bring about 1.5Million cubic metres of
imported sand into the coastal system.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/307876 ... ndix-c.pdf
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:34 am And another, if I may.

A clean-up operation is under way after a seaside village became covered in sand blown off a beach in high winds.
Cars, gardens and roads in Walcott, Norfolk, were left concealed by the storm on Friday and Saturday.
People living there said they "could not believe it" and had "never seen it like this before".
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) recently pumped 1.8m cubic metres of sand on Bacton and Walcott beaches as part of a coastal management scheme.

see that all the time. Natural occurance. But no one is dumb enough to put a house there. You can't stop the wind.

Longer-term context for management of coastal flood and erosion risk as set-out in
(subject to further investigations) that would bring about 1.5Million cubic metres of

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:29 pm

see that all the time. Natural occurance. But no one is dumb enough to put a house there. You can't stop the wind.

The house was there first, the council tried to “improve” the beach
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

People reminisce over the sand that used to be in Mounts Bay, I don't personally remember any, just patches of it. But the local population are convinced the quarry that was across the bay in the next village along nicked all the sand and they want it put back.

Just looked at the article and they're not planning on putting sand where I thought you meant lol

The dunes at Marazion are not what they were in my childhood that's for sure.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, Sand has been long known to be rather migratory.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:33 am The things some people are doing at he moment are sheer folly.

1. There's the worst hotel chain in Britain, Britannia, which fired staff and put them out of their accommodation. In winter, in Aviemore, in the snow, with no notice.

And the back-peddlers at the chain's head office "blamed an administrative error". How can an administrative error write a letter? Some bugger wrote it. How could anyone possibly write that letter? It's a disgusting letter.

Britannia still can't turn things around, there's no evidence I've heard of that suggests they've even made an effort to.
Dirty loos and scathing reviews by guests have led Britannia hotels to be named as Britain’s worst hotel chain for the eighth year running.

Described by one guest as a “filthy hovel” and another as “by far the dirtiest hotel room I have ever stayed in”, Britannia props up the table in Which?’s rankings of the best and worst large UK hotel chains.

The consumer group said Britannia, which has 62 hotels across the country, had received a customer score of 37%, with the lack of cleaning a particular concern. One of the most scathing reviews was so bad it was “unprintable”, it said.

When Which? visited the Britannia’s Grand Burstin hotel in Folkestone, researchers found stray hairs, stained towels, and surfaces that had not been thoroughly cleaned between stays. At the chain’s Brighton hotel, the Royal Albion, Which? conducted swab tests that revealed traces of enterococci bacteria on the toilet seat and bathroom door handle.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -row-which
I've never stayed at one.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:33 am The things some people are doing at he moment are sheer folly.

So. Britannia, again.

Britannia was caught last year operating a "No Gypsies, no Irish" policy at their booking desks.

Go on, reed those words again, blink and swear softly to yourself. This is a hotel chain in England, discriminating on the basis of ethnicity, in 2020.
An investigation by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) found that the company had been using the blacklist of mainly Irish surnames as part of a policy of refusing bookings by Gypsies and Travellers to its holiday parks.

The list, seen by i, was uploaded to the Pontins intranet under the heading “Undesirable Guests”, instructing call handlers that people using these names were “unwelcome”.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/pontins-tra ... rticle-top

And there in the article is a copy of the circulated instruction.
“It is hard not to draw comparisons with an undesirable guests list and the signs displayed in hotel windows 50 years ago, explicitly barring Irish people and black people,” said Alastair Pringle, the EHRC executive director.

“Banning people from services based on their race is discrimination and is unlawful. To say that such policies are outdated is an understatement. It is right to challenge such practices and any business that believes this is acceptable should think again before they find themselves facing legal action.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... h-surnames

Perhaps a national boycott of this reptilian organization is in order, though I can't imagine why anyone would have ever booked there in the first place.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Going back to your comment on the staff being booted out. I did a quick whip over to "tripadvisor" and the comments varied, but over and over people said the staff were helpful and very friendly.

They've shot themselves in the foot on that one. Too many would side with the staff.

The discrimination though? Yeah, you would think in this day and age it would be different. At least in western countries..I know some hotels will not have anyone under twenty five rent rooms. Is that ageist?
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:23 pmThe discrimination though? Yeah, you would think in this day and age it would be different. At least in western countries..I know some hotels will not have anyone under twenty five rent rooms. Is that ageist?
I don't think I've ever been asked my age when booking a hotel room, not even as a teenager, not even when walking in off the street which is never a good idea if you want a discount on the list prices.

Return to “Pub Nutters Inn”