This new forum is unpleasant to maneuver without.........

AnneBoleyn

This new forum is unpleasant to maneuver without.........

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Can't you brothers go back to Recent Posts or whatever it was called? I don't like having to go through the whole front page to find New Posts. It bothers me so much I hardly show up (not that I'm missed! :D) Seriously, it's annoying.
spot

Re: This new forum is unpleasant to maneuver without.........

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm Can't you brothers go back to Recent Posts or whatever it was called? I don't like having to go through the whole front page to find New Posts. It bothers me so much I hardly show up (not that I'm missed! :D) Seriously, it's annoying.
I'd have the same issue except I have a bookmark toolbar on my browser. Yours might call it favorites. Hang on, let me look...

Okay. Chrome.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-always- ... ar-4103621

So, here are some links from my own toolbar. If you drag and drop the first four to yours, they'll give you the same shortcuts I always use. It's one-click to unreplied posts and one click to all recent posts, which is the pair you sound like you'd use.

https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/memb ... searchuser
https://forumgarden.com/forums/viewonli ... ccfcb91658
https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sear ... nreadposts
https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sear ... edcb95d5f9
https://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=86519
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... hite-house
https://apnews.com/apf-Health
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Excuse my manners - missed. Yes, definitely, we look forward to everything you say. In this context you are an adornment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm Can't you brothers go back to Recent Posts or whatever it was called? I don't like having to go through the whole front page to find New Posts. It bothers me so much I hardly show up (not that I'm missed! :D) Seriously, it's annoying.
Well, we've been missing you.
In the upper left next a green square with three lines contains several links.
CaptureFG_quicklinks.JPG
CaptureFG_quicklinks.JPG (16.67 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
You can select to view a list of threads that have new posts since you last login
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thank you! And spot too, as he also replied. I feel much better now because I like to keep up with you guys. See ya.
spot

Post by spot »

The nasty three-bar icon you have found is called a burger. It continues an unwanted trend of using a picture when a sentence would have sufficed.

Referring to the ForumGarden membership as the brothers is perhaps a peculiarly New York idiom, yo.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 am Thank you! And spot too, as he also replied. I feel much better now because I like to keep up with you guys. See ya.
Spot's suggestion was, well,..., spot on.
Use that "burger" to select unread posts, and then bookmark that page.
When you use that bookmark, you will get the login screen, and after logging, you will be at the unread posts page.
No fishing license required.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

The burger suits me fine, some people are right old fuddy duddies
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yo, Betty (as spot would say) I'm glad you're not referring to me! Anyway, now that I've been shown the 3 bar icon, I like it. :D I used an emoticon because I know spot hates them!

Now I'm comfortable maneuvering this forum, so thanks Lars & spot.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I've got a hyperlink that says "New Posts" at the top left of the page. :?:
spot

Post by spot »

It might make a suitable tattoo.

There are two sorts of people in the world, those with tattoos in Comic Sans and the rest with tattoos in Gothic. That's my experience anyhow.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:27 pm I've got a hyperlink that says "New Posts" at the top left of the page. :?:
And while you're here you might read a couple of books for me and tell me which works best, because I just finished them and I change my mind from one day to the next. They have a massive presence but entirely different casts. Paul Beatty, "The Sellout" or "Tuff"? I'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy them both and it will keep you out of trouble.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:34 pm The burger suits me fine, some people are right old fuddy duddies
Well, some of us are Left old fuddy duddies. I'm one them.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot, thank you for recommending Paul Beatty. My local library has been closed for some time now, but when it reopens I am looking forward to reading him. May I recommend to you Colson Whitehead, especially his fabulous book 'Underground Railroad'. Once you read that you might never forget it.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:19 am Yo, Betty (as spot would say) I'm glad you're not referring to me! Anyway, now that I've been shown the 3 bar icon, I like it. :D I used an emoticon because I know spot hates them!

Now I'm comfortable maneuvering this forum, so thanks Lars & spot.
Yo, Anne although, being proper Cornish I should actually say Yew, Anne.

I don't think Spot can see :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

The Cornish farewell is 'Cheers' sometimes it's 'Cheers and gone'.
spot

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 am spot, thank you for recommending Paul Beatty. My local library has been closed for some time now, but when it reopens I am looking forward to reading him. May I recommend to you Colson Whitehead, especially his fabulous book 'Underground Railroad'. Once you read that you might never forget it.
I'm not quite sure how to write this post. I could start by agreeing I might never forget the novel.

I have a rule which is only rarely broken, to finish any book I start. It's a duty to the author in payment for the work she put into writing it. This time I didn't, I was so horrified by the first however-far. I definitely know why.

There was no semblance of truth in any page, and that's before I got to the insane interpretation of "underground railroad". I do not for one moment think the (pardon my wording) black and white cartoonism of the characters can be justified on any historical basis. The novel is unadulteratedly propagandist. I prefer any historical setting to be a presentation of balances within the established record. The reader has a mind but this author has taken away from the reader any capacity to exercise judgement.

Then we get to the criminal depiction of "underground railroad". There will be generations of children yet unborn who will take the content of this novel as representing the truth of what happened, and that is a scandal. It's on a par with introducing aliens with flying saucers into Schindler's List. It is a deliberate muddying of waters which should never be muddied. And that's where I drew the line, though I already thought the good guys / bad guys were differentiated as extremely as hobbits and orcs and just as impossibly untrue to human nature.

I have no idea how anyone with so much as a pretense at a moral compass could have written what I'd been ploughing through. I'm even content to assume I mistook what I was seeing and that I'm doing Colson Whitehead an injustice, but if that's so I definitely need my mistake explaining to me. And if this novel ever gets made into a Hollywood blockbuster then my point on the damage to the historical record will be even more obvious.

The reality of the slave-owning South is that one need not be as pathologically insane as the characters depicted in order to live a bad life harming other people. The novel is giving a free pass to people who might otherwise question their own assumptions and behavior, and providing that fig-leaf excuse is a wickedness which the author and the publisher should never have engaged in.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 pm
AnneBoleyn wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 am spot, thank you for recommending Paul Beatty. My local library has been closed for some time now, but when it reopens I am looking forward to reading him. May I recommend to you Colson Whitehead, especially his fabulous book 'Underground Railroad'. Once you read that you might never forget it.
I'm not quite sure how to write this post. I could start by agreeing I might never forget the novel.

I have a rule which is only rarely broken, to finish any book I start. It's a duty to the author in payment for the work she put into writing it. This time I didn't, I was so horrified by the first however-far. I definitely know why.

There was no semblance of truth in any page, and that's before I got to the insane interpretation of "underground railroad". I do not for one moment think the (pardon my wording) black and white cartoonism of the characters can be justified on any historical basis. The novel is unadulteratedly propagandist. I prefer any historical setting to be a presentation of balances within the established record. The reader has a mind but this author has taken away from the reader any capacity to exercise judgement.

Then we get to the criminal depiction of "underground railroad". There will be generations of children yet unborn who will take the content of this novel as representing the truth of what happened, and that is a scandal. It's on a par with introducing aliens with flying saucers into Schindler's List. It is a deliberate muddying of waters which should never be muddied. And that's where I drew the line, though I already thought the good guys / bad guys were differentiated as extremely as hobbits and orcs and just as impossibly untrue to human nature.

I have no idea how anyone with even a pretense at a moral compass could have written what I'd been ploughing through. I'm even content to assume I mistook what I was seeing and that I'm doing Colson Whitehead an injustice, but if that's so I definitely need my mistake explaining to me. And if it ever gets made into a Hollywood blockbuster then my point on the damage to the historical record will be even more obvious.

The reality of the slave-owning South is that one need not be as pathologically insane as the characters depicted in order to live a bad life harming other people. The novel is giving a free pass to people who might otherwise question their own assumptions and behavior, and providing that fig-leaf excuse is a wickedness which the author and the publisher should never have engaged in.
It seems to be mislabeled as a "Historical" Novel, but I think more correctly that it become Historical Fantasy.
If you separate from the known history, and read it for its own sake, it is a fascinating read, but, like you, I continued to trip over the facts.

Kind of like tripping up on the science when watching or reading Star Wars stories.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I just think there are some topics that cannot be tinkered with, simply on moral grounds. There comes a point where outrage has a legitimate place as a reaction. Too many people suffered and continue to suffer there for the place to be turned into a playground for cleverness.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:34 pm The burger suits me fine, some people are right old fuddy duddies

I've only recently found out what a "burger" is. When I was first told to look for it on my screen I was literally looking for a burger and thought the person giving me the information was demented.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:23 pm

I've only recently found out what a "burger" is. When I was first told to look for it on my screen I was literally looking for a burger and thought the person giving me the information was demented.

Glad you found it, it does make life easier.

Now we just need the green frogs back.

Or were they butterflies :?

Return to “Request A New Forum Here”