Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

msvibrant

Post by msvibrant »

:-6 Hey guys! The new Harry is now in theatres (as I'm sure you already know). I just checked it out a little over a week ago... definitely worth seeing! Here's some info on it below:

Synopsis:

In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) must

contend with being mysteriously selected to compete in the prestigious

Triwizard Tournament, a thrilling international competition that pits

him against older and more experienced students from Hogwarts and two

rival European wizarding schools. Meanwhile, supporters of Harry's

nemesis, the evil Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), send a shockwave of

fear throughout the wizard community when their Dark Mark scorches the

sky at the Quidditch World Cup, signaling Voldemort's return to power.

But for Harry, this is not the only harrowing news causing him

anxiety...he still has yet to find a date for Hogwarts' Yule Ball dance.

check out: www.harrypotter.com
Eddie Rex

Post by Eddie Rex »

I saw the film last sunday and i noticed the cinema was sold out.

The acting is very good and was very impressed with the special effects. I enjoyed the scene where the dragon was chasing Harry Potter.

Eddie Rex.

:) :-6
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

My daughter liked the movie too. I want to see it and I'm sure I'll have no trouble at all in enticing her to see it again.

I keep meaning to read the books, but life seem to keep getting in the way. Perhaps I'll wait until they are all out and do one long read...........
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

The film missed a huge amount out, but I still enjoyed it. Ralph Fiennes was great as Voldy - suitably theatrical in his nastiness (I particularly liked his flourish when he said "Crucio!" for the second time).

I also thought the teenage angst stuff was well done - especially Ron, looking at the Beauxbatons girls, and saying "You know I like it when they walk" :D

But as I've said elsewhere - woefully short on Snape. Where was his moment of courage, in showing Fudge the Dark Mark ? Omitted.

Still, the best film so far I thought.
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Snape? Why would you want to see more of that treacherous slime?
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Snape is a genius and an unsung hero! It will of course become clear in book 7 that he and Dumbledore planned DD's apparent death, so that Snape could continue to spy for the Order and at the same time, not be killed by breaking his Unbreakable Vow.

But I fully expect Harry to kill him, only realising his mistake afterwards.

Snape is by far the most interesting character in the series, don't you think? He's so ambiguous, so complicated. wibble

And why else would I want to see more of Snape ? Because I like dark-haired, genius and tortured guys! :D :sneaky:
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

I admit that Alan Rickman plays him perfectly, but I can't stand the character. I actually hiss and boo at the book when he makes an entrance :D

And I like Hagrid - have always had a thing for big, burly, grizzly-bear-in-public-teddy-bear-in-private kind of guys ;)
bulldawgz1003

Post by bulldawgz1003 »

An excellent movie, indeed. I saw with three of my friend on premier nite. In my opinion, the best of the four. But, as I'm we can all tell by now, the next one is always better than the one before it.

HP RULES!!:-6
booradley

Post by booradley »

Yavanna wrote: Snape is a genius and an unsung hero! It will of course become clear in book 7 that he and Dumbledore planned DD's apparent death, so that Snape could continue to spy for the Order and at the same time, not be killed by breaking his Unbreakable Vow.

But I fully expect Harry to kill him, only realising his mistake afterwards.

Snape is by far the most interesting character in the series, don't you think? He's so ambiguous, so complicated. wibble

And why else would I want to see more of Snape ? Because I like dark-haired, genius and tortured guys! :D :sneaky:

blimey! Were we seperated at birth? You've just read my mind on Snape. I also don't think DD is dead...think he'll turn put to be the bad 'un in the end.

We went to see it this evening and although they missed a lot out, my bum was numb by the end and I was dying for a wee.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Yay, Boo radley - another Snape-lover! :p D'you know, this is spooky - I was only thinking to myself recently, what if DD was being literal when he says (I think it's in Goblet of Fire) "So-and-so is as much a Death Eater as I am!"

Shock-horror!;)

Annie Mouse lol - I always assume that if a character gets a hiss and a boo then I'm bound to love them! :D

As to Hagrid - pshaw! How can his oafish, albeit cuddlesome looks compare with the svelte blackness and sardonic wit of Snape?

Actually, did you folks like the look of GoF as much as PoA? I did so love the colour palettes and almost mediaval styling of PoA.
booradley

Post by booradley »

Clancy wrote: ....saw it yesterday, my bum was numb by the end too, I didn't need a wee, but wanted a cig. I really liked the movie, but i'm tired of yakkin' chompin' movie theatre go'ers ....the time for standing up, and yelling , "Shut the f*** up" is looming.

lol, I always get the movie munchers sitting right behind me, rustling and chomping:-5
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

SnoozeControl wrote: Yavanna hon? I'm starting to get worried about you.;)

Really ? And I haven't even shared the details of my tattoos yet.....:D

As to chomping in movies - when I went to see LOTR films, I'd been planning the event since 1999. I required the friends I went with to ensure that they went to the loo before the films started, that they didn't buy buckets of coke and that there was no, absolutely no, popcorn to be eaten. At one point in my first viewing of FOTR, a couple behind us were chatting during the Bridge of Khazad-Dum scene ; my friend Jenny had to turn around and ask them politely to be quiet to avoid me exploding with rage. :D

I am a complete Victor Meldrew when it comes to cinema etiquette. There should be separate screenings for people like me, where no food and drink is allowed and everyone has cast-iron bladders:p

I am only semi-kidding
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

I liked it but I have to say I found the other 3 films a little bit more exciting. I've haven't read the books yet.
Jives

Post by Jives »

Netiquette Tip: Anyone posting in this thread that is going to give away some of the secrets of the movie, please put,

spoiler alert!

Before anything you post so that you don't ruin the movie for the rest of us.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

Post by Jives »

lol. No, I'm not. I like the movies just fine, but I'd like to be surprised at the ending!:-2
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Annie Mouse

Post by Annie Mouse »

Yavanna wrote:

Annie Mouse lol - I always assume that if a character gets a hiss and a boo then I'm bound to love them! :D

As to Hagrid - pshaw! How can his oafish, albeit cuddlesome looks compare with the svelte blackness and sardonic wit of Snape?

Actually, did you folks like the look of GoF as much as PoA? I did so love the colour palettes and almost mediaval styling of PoA.

I liked both of these better than the first two, but that's 'cause the first ones were just so cram-packed with every little sentence from the books

I've read your analysis of Snape, and you have (possibly) valid points, however, I still don't like Snape. I just want to slap him and tell him to get over it. Plus, he needs to wash his hair (ick)
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Annie Mouse wrote: I

I've read your analysis of Snape, and you have (possibly) valid points, however, I still don't like Snape. I just want to slap him and tell him to get over it. Plus, he needs to wash his hair (ick)

As to the hair, agreed. I'd certainly find a greasy-haired Alan Rickman unappealing. Whereas at the moment I'd love to run my hands through that shiny, black mop! :D

I know what you mean about wanting to slap the character ; he clearly became emotionally arrested at around the age of 15. His intellect far outstripped his maturity. That's partly why I find him so interesting. You know what generally happens to people/characters who believe they can compartmentalise their intellectual and emotional lives ? They explode. Usually dramatically. In this case, maybe literally! That moment of crisis when Snape finds that his illusion of emotional control (or maybe, emotionlessness) falls apart and he can't hide it any longer. That's what I'm looking forward to.

I'm not sure if I likethe character of Snape ; that's too lukewarm a word. I find him intriguing, amusing, challenging. In fact, his character is what makes the books for me ; I might find them a bit.....dunno...humdrum without him.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Alright, went to see it, quite like the books, don't like the films much, but this one is by far the best, very funny, the classroom scenes where Snape is smacking them on the head brought back happy memories of being back in the Christian Brothers School in Ireland, and the French girls were suitably nubile. Ah well.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”