Have your tastes changed?

Explorer the eighth

Post by Explorer the eighth »

In the 1980s, I was a fan of the music of Pere Ubu; MX-80 Sound and Chrome. I used to have some of their music on vinyl in those days, but not now.

I recently heard some of Pere Ubu and I couldn't really get on with it. I didn't hate it, but it just seemed so strange. The other two bands have their good moments, but I couldn't listen to them in the same way that I used to do.

Have any of you had a change of tastes where something you once loved and can't get enough of becomes less appealing than it used to?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Explorer the eighth wrote: In the 1980s, I was a fan of the music of Pere Ubu; MX-80 Sound and Chrome. I used to have some of their music on vinyl in those days, but not now.

I recently heard some of Pere Ubu and I couldn't really get on with it. I didn't hate it, but it just seemed so strange. The other two bands have their good moments, but I couldn't listen to them in the same way that I used to do.

Have any of you had a change of tastes where something you once loved and can't get enough of becomes less appealing than it used to?

Massively!

In the 60's and 70's I was well into Heavy Metal – from Sabbath through Grand Funk Railroad to Uriah Heap and Atomic Rooster.

Now, most of my listening is Folk – especially Vin Garbutt, Shave the Monkey and Jez Lowe.

but all things change
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Since being with Rick, my husband, I have developed a taste for Celtic music, one of his favorites. Never pictured myself enjoying it. But one thing has not changed..still do not care for the Beatles. Except for some music by Sir Paul
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

I liked country for a hot second in high school. Now I really cant listen to it at all. Maybe a little Allison Krauss here and there but thats all. The really old stuff is cool. My mom used to sing Delta Dawn to me when I was little so I will always like that song.

HBIC
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

I've never even heard of that group.

My tasted have changed. I love piano and flute music. But I still love Led Zeppelin too.:sneaky:
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Explorer the eighth

Saffron wrote: I've never even heard of that group.

My tasted have changed. I love piano and flute music. But I still love Led Zeppelin too.:sneaky:

Some of my favourite bands have used the piano and the flute to great effect along with their other instruments; bands like Soft Machine, Gong, Magma, Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson.

I have listened to Led Zeppelin, but I don't know all of their music. I still have "4" on vinyl, but nothing on CD.
bigears

Post by bigears »

Of course! Both musical and in other spheres.

Seventies - prog... punk...

now...almost exclusively classical

(but like to listen to planetrock on sat mornings)... :sneaky:
Explorer the eighth

There are also other types of music that I used to listen to regularly, and that I was addicted to, that I don't listen to much, if at all, for some reason:

Tangerine Dream; Kluster; Cluster; Iannis Xenakis; Can; The Muffins; Megadeth; Richard Strauss; Richard Wagner; Morton Subotnick; Philip Glass; Heldon; The Mission; Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Going back to the bands I started posting about, I suppose I might be able to enjoy them again in the future. I'll just keep an open mind about it and see what happens. I don't have any CDs of them. I used to have L.P.s of Chrome's Half Machine Lip Moves; MX-80 Sound's Crowd Control and Pere Ubu's Dub Housing.
bigears

Post by bigears »

I still have some Pere Ubu on vinyl...30 seconds over Tokyo etc...Can was a great band...v influential too...(ask J Lydon!)...all that vinyl...its still in the cupboard :)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

When I was a teenager, I liked Metallica, Megadeth, and Pantera.

Now I wonder what I was thinking back then. And now I'm gradually losing interest in that 90's industrial stuff I loved so much after I got bored with heavy metal.
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

I don't think my taste in music has changed since I was a kid. I still love classic rock, oldies rock, blues, and whatnot. My favorite bands haven't changed much either. I still love The Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, and The Band. Currently, I'm in a Steely Dan phase and listening to both their old and new music. I still like their old albums, such as Aja.

www . napster . com / player / album / 10000161

You can listen to the Aja album by clicking on the link above, and putting in your email address and login name to hear all the full length songs within the album. It's a pretty cool feature that Napsterlinks has provided.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Not so much really. There is some music I cant listen to anymore due to overplay but Im still listening to much of the same stuff I was listening to years ago, only a wider variety of it now. Minneapolis has always been a music oriented city so I was exposed to eclectic sounds at an early age. I was buying Herbie Hancock & The Headhunters or Chick Corea when I was 12-13 yrs old. Blues hit me early on as well and theres still surprises for me now. Especially due to the internet, I have so many cd's Im running out of room here.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General Music”