Gonzo journalist is gone...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Don't know if any of you are fans... but apparently Hunter S. Thompson

is dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

How very sad... not many details are being released but the man was

sheer genius in my opinion...

Rest in Peace.

:yh_flower
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Wow. Too bad. Certainly gave a lot of journalists something to think about. Bummer. Any drugs involved? Guess I'll wait for the releases. Sucks big time.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

OH NO! i LOVED HIM! i am really sorry to hear this. i read everything he ever wrote. :-1
koan

Post by koan »

I don't know of him but he seems to have good readership. What did he write about?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

koan wrote: I don't know of him but he seems to have good readership. What did he write about?
first, hello and welcome Kate :-6 ....well Koan there isn't enough bandwidth. he wrote for Rolling Stone, and many books and articles as well. he was like nobody else, brilliant and funny, irreverent and on point always. lived in Aspen, ran for sheriff there once. he was a wild man, a recluse and heavily armed as well as drunk and/or drugged. he was flaming hilarious. i would recommend you find one of his books, perhaps "fear and loathing on the campaign trail" or something not so political. your library could get some of his stuff i am sure. or maybe there's articles online, i don't know.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

lady cop wrote: first, hello and welcome Kate :-6 ....well Koan there isn't enough bandwidth. he wrote for Rolling Stone, and many books and articles as well. he was like nobody else, brilliant and funny, irreverent and on point always. lived in Aspen, ran for mayor there once. he was a wild man, a recluse and heavily armed as well as drunk and/or drugged. he was flaming hilarious. i would recommend you find one of his books, perhaps "fear and loathing on the campaign trail" or something not so political. your library could get some of his stuff i am sure. or maybe there's articles online, i don't know.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

http://www.gonzo.org/
koan

Post by koan »

I've seen the film "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas" it was bloody brilliant! Didn't know it was by him. I'll have to look for more. Thanks.

Yes it is a shame there will be no more contributions...but we can glorify what is there.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

well, it's true, what Bothwell just said to me on the phone, we knew this guy wasn't going to go quietly in some nursing home... it's almost fitting, as he was usually fueled on voddy and shooting at any who dared climb his mountain. almost hemingwayish in its finale.
koan

Post by koan »

Some truly believe "it's better to burn out than fade away". :(
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: Some truly believe "it's better to burn out than fade away". :(
Almost met him once but I was being questioned in a group of people as he walked by looking for who it was that he wanted to talk to. National broadcaster got another knock on live broadcast thrown in their laps. At least when he left Canada he knew that there were Canadians that believed in freedom.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

he was the model for Uncle Duke in the Doonesbury comic strip...he once said if he met Gary Trudeau he'd set him on fire. LOL ..i wonder if the strip will note this sad event.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

lady cop wrote: he was the model for Uncle Duke in the Doonesbury comic strip...he once said if he met Gary Trudeau he'd set him on fire. LOL ..i wonder if the strip will note this sad event.
He'll probablymake some comment. Who is the chinese chick going to hang with now that he is gone? .
Hopalong

Post by Hopalong »

This is a real loss for those of us who cherished the fearlessness he showed in his writing. I always enjoyed and admired his genuine disrespect for authority. Many felt that he was an insightfull and an often joyfull risk taker. I hope that he found some happiness in his writing accomplishments. He was facinating in his life style and brought many a smile to the faces of his devoted readers. He will be missed.

Hopalong
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I always figued if 1/12 of what he wrote were true he would be dead already.

He had been trying to kill himself for a long time. I did find some of his writings amusing.

And I saw the typewriter he shot one time at the Hard Rock in Aspin.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Oh.. I don't think G.T. will kill off Duke.. Honey still has to capture him. But this is truely a sad day.. not many wild men like him left.. break out the black arm bands, fifths of purified potato sqeezings.....and roll a hefty...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i will miss him.
MelBain

Post by MelBain »

A really good Hunter read is "Kingdom of Fear"....really funny at times and just really fun to read...pick up a copy for sure!
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

oh thats sad, he was a fascinating character, also stone mad, but very interesting, its always tragic when someone takes their own life like this.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Return to “General Chit Chat”