California scorched by 122F summer

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... w_17072006

By Catherine Elsworth, Los Angeles

(Filed: 17/07/2006)

Nearly 4,000 firemen battled wildfires raging through huge areas of California yesterday as the state sweltered under record temperatures expected to continue until the autumn.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, the California governor, declared a state of emergency in the scorched area 100 miles east of Los Angeles, where blazes have destroyed scores of homes and claimed at least one life.

Forecasters meanwhile warned of no let-up in unseasonable heat that has sent thermometers soaring to record highs of 122F (50C) in inland areas.

According to meteorologists, the state has effectively "skipped spring", jumping straight to the blistering highs normally confined to late summer. The past few months have been unusually warm, with central Los Angeles experiencing its second hottest June and July to date - almost six degrees above average.

The situation is reflected nationwide, with the first half of the year declared the warmest since record-keeping began. From January to June, the continental states experienced temperatures 3.4 degrees F above average for the 20th century and, by last month, almost half were in a state of moderate to extreme drought.

The dry conditions have so far sparked more than 50,000 wildfires, burning more than three million acres in the continental US, according to the National Interagency Fire Centre. In California's San Bernardino National Forest, fire crews have endured temperatures of 112 F (44.4 C) as they struggle to contain a huge complex of fires ignited a week ago by lightning striking arid brush.

Two clusters of blazes merged to blacken a vast area around the Yucca Valley, destroying more than 50 desert homes.

The fires had burned into the San Bernardino National Forest but were not considered immediate threats to communities at higher elevations in the Big Bear Lake region.

"It is a huge fire. It is extraordinary how quickly it has spread," said Mr Schwarzenegger during a visit to the area. "It is a very dangerous situation. Wind and a lot of heat, that is the perfect condition for wildfires."

On Saturday, the body of a 57-year-old man was found in a blackened part of the desert. Gerald Guthrie had been missing since Tuesday, when fire swept through his home of Pioneertown, the location of many Hollywood westerns.

As the heat and humidity persisted, Californian officials issued severe fire warnings and, with the extreme heat, advised people to keep out of the sun. Energy consumption hit record highs as temperatures in parts of Los Angeles rivalled those of the deep desert and air conditioners worked overtime.

The conditions are blamed on hot air from northern Mexican deserts combining with moisture from the Gulf of California to break what is known as southern California's natural air conditioner, a blend of sea breezes and cloud cover that keep temperatures cool throughout late spring and early summer.

The last time southern California saw such a sustained heat trend was in the 1960s.

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2006.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

That's bloody hot, that's what that is.:D
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It's bad out there, and the brush fires are bad.

Oh OM, you mentioned Mr Schwarzenegger :-4
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Pinky wrote: Woss that in celcius then?:thinking:

122 degrees F converts to 50 Degrees Celcius

Check this website for a conversion calculator:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

OpenMind wrote: That's bloody hot, that's what that is.:D
I love that scientific approach, OM..........................
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Alot probably do not, they have brown outs when the temps are that high, I know my mom is on the list to have it turned off for the afternoon on those days.:(

And the fire is about 20 miles form their desert place too.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Marie5656 wrote: 122 degrees F converts to 50 Degrees Celcius

Check this website for a conversion calculator:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

I've forgotten the formula, so I looked up a convertor on the Net. There's loads and I concur - 50 degrees Celsius.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: Alot probably do not, they have brown outs when the temps are that high, I know my mom is on the list to have it turned off for the afternoon on those days.:(

And the fire is about 20 miles form their desert place too.

You must be very anxious for them, Chonsi. I hope they'll be ok.:-4
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I had written an article for the guinea pig forum I moderated, and needed to do some conversions....that is how I knew about the charts.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

There are too many people in the area-and also, some take the option of having the power go down at specific times, so it is not permanently out. It also cuts down the electric bill.

Rolling brownouts they call them. The hazards of urban living. You go to the malls or somewhere for the day, or just go through it.

In the West, it doesn't really feel too hot until above 97F, because of low humidity.

Thank you for thinking of the OM.:-4

I will call them late tonight for the latest, as long as the electricity stays on at the nursing home for my granny.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: Thank you for thinking of the OM.:-4

I will call them late tonight for the latest, as long as the electricity stays on at the nursing home for my granny.

Do let us know how they are, Chonsi.
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

122 F is unbelievably horrid! Seems like the entire country is being baked. We've had 100 degree temps here in Wyo. I heard last week that the temp in Pierre, SD was 116!

BTW, to convert Celcius to Farenheit, multiply the celcius by 1.8 & add 32.:-6
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Sorry if I'm repeating myself...but I'm here in so. California, baking! It's now 99 degrees and last night, at nine PM....it was 92F...which I think is around 33C. Luckily, my house is well-insulated...many are suffering. And luckily, I live in a community which generates its own power, so the blackouts aren't affecting us--YET!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Return to “United States”