The moral decline.

Where our decade hasn't ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of our current times.
koan

The moral decline.

Post by koan »

Some people blame it on Dr. Spock.
Accountable

The moral decline.

Post by Accountable »

koan wrote: Some people blame it on Dr. Spock.Which one? :p
chonsigirl

The moral decline.

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, he wrote The City of God and Confessions.

Selections from City of God:

http://personal.stthomas.edu/gwschlabach/docs/city.htm
Lulu2

The moral decline.

Post by Lulu2 »

People have been concerned about the "decline of morality/decency of behavior" in young people since the dawn of time. "Morality" changes as societies change. There's no way to stop that.

Sometimes I look at younger people and find myself thinking like my grandmother!

:lips:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

The moral decline.

Post by Lulu2 »

She's insane?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
koan

The moral decline.

Post by koan »

Kids aren't the only ones who do strange things.

Jocelyne realized that Alec loved his jungle estate, and the cats that inhabited it, more than anything else in life. So armed with this information, she returned to her plastic surgeon with an unusual request: She wanted to be transformed into one of the giant Cats that Alec loved so much. Though surprised at this unorthodox request, the surgeon did his best to comply.

After countless surgeries - no one can say with certainty just how many - Jocelyne the Nordic beauty disappeared, and "The Queen Of The Jungle" took her place. Her lips had been enlarged, and her face pulled back at the eyes to simulate a cat-eye effect. Jocelyne's appearance was indeed striking - especially as she had had her pigment darkened as well. The first time Alec saw his new wife, it is said he screamed at the sudden appearance of this startling creature that confronted him. Indeed, court documents of the divorce proceedings reveal that he said he "couldn't even recognize my own wife up close. She seems to think that you fix a face the same way you fix a house". Naturally, Jocelyne was disappointed, and returned to her plastic surgeon for more work. It is rumored that several prospective patients ran screaming from the office, so concerned were they that they would end up looking like Jocelyne. As the reader may well imagine, this did nothing to improve the poor socalite's anxiety. However, massing her ample reserves of courage, Jocelyne persevered, and hasn't stopped to this day. When questioned as to the precise number and types of surgeries she's had, she merely replies with a smile "no more or less than any other woman".

Attached files
Lulu2

The moral decline.

Post by Lulu2 »

One can only imagine her at 75! :-3
SlipStream

The moral decline.

Post by SlipStream »

Bill Sikes;3287 wrote: :-)

What is has caused the problem with the youth of today? Is it simply lack of

parental control, or has the availability of such things as magazines, mobile

'phones, contraception, guns, television etc. helped things along?

it begins at home...mobiles are ok but only 4 gettin help or letting parents know if kids are ok.
minks

The moral decline.

Post by minks »

SlipStream;635811 wrote: it begins at home...mobiles are ok but only 4 gettin help or letting parents know if kids are ok.

Im glad you brought this topic up again Slips.

Here is my thoughts revisited....

Parents find it easier to be a childs friend than be a childs parent.

Anyone who is a parent can understand this....

It's 4:00 in the morning and your 4 year old comes into your room wanting to crawl into bed with you... yes it's an easy solution to let them in and everybody goes back to sleep because everybody has a big day ahead of them tomorrow because it's say... Tuesday. What we fail to realize is we let the kid win, we did not reinforce the child has his/her own bed and must sleep there(for numerous reasons) instead, and we prevented the child from coping with their awakeness.

This behavior applies to all kinds of issues as a child grows, and I think this contributes hugely to how our kids are now days.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
KB.

The moral decline.

Post by KB. »

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on

frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond

words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and

respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise

[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for

authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer

rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,

chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their

legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."(Socrates a long mfing time ago)

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have

no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all

restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes

for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are

forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress." ( I thought Plato, but then read Peter the Hermit)
Life ain't linear.
minks

The moral decline.

Post by minks »

KB.;635827 wrote: "I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on

frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond

words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and

respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise

[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for

authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer

rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,

chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their

legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."(Socrates a long mfing time ago)

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have

no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all

restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes

for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are

forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress." ( I thought Plato, but then read Peter the Hermit)

Crikey kids will be kids will be kids eh! OMG they have always been Hellions *minks 2007*
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
randall

The moral decline.

Post by randall »

:-6

Shiver mi timbers, Ahoy there Capt'n Buzzard, have you been keel hauled lately?

I was relating a tale to others how in 1930 in an fishing community - that's all I can talk about with experience.- there was one room in the house with a coal fire.

It was the only room that was heated.

None of the other rooms had fireplaces.

Therefore everyone gathered there and usually the young were sitting on a long low stool in front of the fire place fender. It usually held all the Brasso and Zebra for cleaning the coal fireplace iron work along with the cloths.

"Come awa fae there. Yere spine'll melt."

Where else could we go?

Anyway, with guests many a very young child heard things they should have never have heard and frequently, not encouraged to ask questions of adults, came to wrong conclusions which would haunt them for the rest of their lives.

So it is not only today that young people are learning thing too young.

The toilets we out in the close or down in the garden and it was unpleasant experience to sit on the toilet with the snow coming under the door.

Going to bed meant going into a dark and very, very cold bedroom. 5 Degree Celsius, say.

God Bless All.

randall

:) :) :)
Lon

The moral decline.

Post by Lon »

Bill Sikes;3287 wrote: :-)

What is has caused the problem with the youth of today? Is it simply lack of

parental control, or has the availability of such things as magazines, mobile

'phones, contraception, guns, television etc. helped things along?

It's the infusion of all the media plus their peer group, two powerful influences that can negate parental control.
sharedfastlane

The moral decline.

Post by sharedfastlane »

Interesting points raised.

My feelings are ; children are worth listening to as they see things we have perhaps hardened ourselves to to survive and they WILL come out and complain at the way things are run.

It seems hard for parents and /or other establishments to get the point about fair play and morals across when examples of aggression seeming to get results are prevelant and public servants are seen to be lying or misbehaving.

Children are quick ( as are adults) to see any weaknesses in our set ups and exploit them and despise hypocrisy. Pesonally I wish I had more gumption to try and help fix things in society instead of being disgusted and just getting my head down, thinking "I'll fight the NEXT case to the end. "
vampress.rozz

The moral decline.

Post by vampress.rozz »

I work with kids a lot.... various ages and places they're not all bad....I know some great little characters and people always compliment my own kids on how well they behave ( comes down to a lot of love :-4 from us. ) just thought someone around here ought to see the sunshine in the world :)
Blessed be.
SlipStream

The moral decline.

Post by SlipStream »

vampress.rozz;637488 wrote: I work with kids a lot.... various ages and places they're not all bad....I know some great little characters and people always compliment my own kids on how well they behave ( comes down to a lot of love :-4 from us. ) just thought someone around here ought to see the sunshine in the world :)

I'm sure no all young or older people are bad.

it's just their the ones we get to hear about in the news.
randall

The moral decline.

Post by randall »

:-6

To the frustration of todays industries and employers Maggie Thatcher seemed to have thought that all apprenticeships were either useless or bad.

She had the mistaken idea that great wealth at the top always percolates down to the poverty ridden masses.

However, in the old Merchant Navy, where we had a bit more time because the trips were frequently a year or more and also had more time to visit other cabins and sort out the WORLD and all its woes. There is actually a great deal of loneliness on many ships today because the greatly reduced crews means that when you are off duty the others are either on duty or trying to get some sleep before going on duty.

On one of these occasions I heard the unorthodox view put forward that apprenticeships were bad because they "...taught apprentices what COULD NOT BE DONE...."

Left to their own devices frequently the youthful mind NOT KNOWING THAT IT COULD NOT BE DONE tried to do something and found out that it could be done his or her way.

That leads to advancement of knowledge and progress in industry.

The only problem then, of course, is that it requires someone with a great deal of self motivation and the lack of that seems to be endemic in many of todays youth.

Just thought that I should throw some morsels into the middle of the rugby scrum.

God Bless

randall

:)

Return to “Our Current Decade”