Abortion Poll- Part 1

A forum created specifically for polls.
koan

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by koan »

A hot debate pops up on this issue all the time. This thread is not for debate, lest it turn to blows as usual, this is just to cast a vote and state your reasons simply.

The first question that defines the issue is not about when life begins, that is actually a religious question. Since the legal system does not currently recognize a human as being alive until it is born, the question whether the state has a right to govern a person's body is the only valid legal issue (according to the courts). We can delve into the religious elsewhere.

ETA: So everyone knows, a "yes" vote on this question, does not mean a "yes" to abortion. It is to create an agreed upon set of facts. The question of whether or not a baby is a separate entity of "private property" will be next if yes wins here.
chonsigirl

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by chonsigirl »

I voted no, I believe a baby is it's own being from it's initial creation inside the mother.
koan

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by koan »

onsekiz wrote: question is kinda tricky, i mean baby is not your body anymore

that's a secondary question. the question is part of the abortion debate but stands on it's own as well, in matters of euthanasia and other debates.

to clarify: anyone against abortion does not nullify their argument by declaring a body private property. a win for "yes" here does not mean that abortion wins with a "yes"
Lulu2

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Lulu2 »

My body...my choice.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lizard Lips

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Lizard Lips »

As difficult as it is to think of the destruction of human life, I vote YES. I only speak for myself, for no other woman.
chocoholic

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by chocoholic »

I voted YES, as Lulu said - my body, my choice.
Marie5656

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Marie5656 »

My body, my decisions.
Adam Zapple

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Adam Zapple »

I voted yes. I baby's body(even in the womb) is also private.
vampress.rozz

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by vampress.rozz »

I'm not sure I understood the question properly. Does the state have the right to govern what happens to someones body?? Well in our country they prevent you from killing yourself. I find this hard to answer. I hate the idea of career women being able to just decide they are not ready even though they have helped to start a life yet other circumstances such as following a rape should be privately dealt with following the woman's own wishes. The other issue I have with state intervention is does this include intervention on behalf of the father. Someone I knew only found out he could have been a father after the baby was terminated talk about broken up.
Blessed be.
RedGlitter

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by RedGlitter »

Why must it be either /or? If I am pregnant, and it's using my body for fuel, I own my body and what's in it. However if I am stupid enough to smoke/drink/drug, then I should be punished for child abuse. I don't see what's so hard. Things aren't always either/or. :)
koan

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by koan »

It is a yes or no question. Adam stated it well. The second question is asked in poll 2.

To arrive at a logical conclusion through reason, each segment has to be answered then followed by the arising questions until all questions seem to have been answered.
Rain

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Rain »

I think I misread the question, and now I can't find it again. However, ITA with Adam Zapple and Red Glitter.
Crème brûlée

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Crème brûlée »

Lizard Lips wrote: As difficult as it is to think of the destruction of human life, I vote YES. I only speak for myself, for no other woman.

you speak with lizard lips.:sneaky:
woppy71

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by woppy71 »

chonsigirl wrote: I voted no, I believe a baby is it's own being from it's initial creation inside the mother.

I don't normally like to get involved in threads like this, but what you said is a pretty fair reflection of what I think.
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Separating out the question from the abortion debate to follow.

No-one has the right to force you to have an operation / donate a kidney / take a given drug. Your body is your property and ultimately, your responsability.
koan

Abortion Poll- Part 1

Post by koan »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Separating out the question from the abortion debate to follow.

No-one has the right to force you to have an operation / donate a kidney / take a given drug. Your body is your property and ultimately, your responsability.

Exactly. The question must stand alone. It is related to the abortion debate but those who believe their body is private property should not change their opinion just for the argument of abortion. As this poll - part two shows, there are other factors to the issue. Intellectual honesty and critical thinking require that you answer the components without subject bias.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”