St George Unofficial Bank Holiday

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
st_george_holiday

Post by st_george_holiday »

I'm organising a campaign to encourage people to take the day off work on St Georges Day next year.

We want the government to introduce a bank holiday on 23 April. They have refused in the past because they believe there is insufficient support. If a sizeable number of us take the day off work it will send a powerful message to those in charge.

If they won’t give us a bank holiday, we will organise our own.

I think most people appreciate that a bank holiday on St. George’s Day will be a great opportunity for all the English, regardless of colour or religion, to recognise the things that bind us together – rather than concentrating on our differences.

Everything from cricket to curry could be celebrated on our national day.

We have a web site stgeorgesholiday. com where you can join thousands of others who have pledged to take the day off work on Monday 23 April 2007.

We plan to contact a number of celebrities and ask them to support the campaign, I would be interested to hear any suggestions on who to contact. Many thanks.
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

absolutely! me and Nomad will start the American chapter of St George's "Lazy Bum Day"

any reason not to work is a good one for me. Hell, i celebrate the day Reagan declared "ketchup" a vegetable.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

theia

Post by theia »

I think that's a really good idea!

And, as you can see above, some of our American friends support it too :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

st_george_holiday wrote: I'm organising a campaign to encourage people to take the day off work on St Georges Day next year.

We want the government to introduce a bank holiday on 23 April. They have refused in the past because they believe there is insufficient support.

They're quite right. Next!

Is this a tin of spam I see before me?
st_george_holiday

It's a really easy campaign for everyone to take part in. You don't have to march on Parliament waving a banner or chain yourself to a monument... you just take the day off work. Simple.
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

And to make it even better the 23rd happens to be a Monday, and we all hate Mondays right!! :D
Bez

Post by Bez »

I've seen this in the Newspapers today.

I have NO objection to a day off provided i get paid for it....not sure the Bosses will be in agreement though.:D

Some of the European countries have twice as many bank holidays as we do in the UK...so fair's fair i guess.....

Who's campaigning for an OFFICIAL PAID day off then ???
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
st_george_holiday

We have already heard from two small construction companies that they will be giving their staff a paid day off on Monday 23 April. Their bosses see the potential in terms of staff moral and the publicity it will bring them (we have written press releases for them to send to local papers).

It may be that initially it will be easier for smaller firms to give their staff an extra paid holiday... but if you don't ask, you don't get.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

what a fantastic idea i'm a builder and all the lads without exception get the right hump about the paddy's no offence our Irish friends taking over our pubs Guinness ahoy every where green wigs green flags even green beer and on st George's day our day what do we get zero , we had already agreed amongst ourselves to make a proper show next year suit of armour flags dragon (land lady)and drink English beer after an English breakfast and be thoroughly English whilst we are being served by poles checks and any other eastern European who has taken all the jobs NO JIMBO DONT EVEN GET STARTED ON THIS ONE :thinking:
st_george_holiday

We have had a tremendous response from people within the building and construction industry. Engineering and railways are good aswell. So if you need some engineering done within the construction industry and you need to take a train to get there don't bother doing it on April 23!
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

st_george_holiday wrote: We have had a tremendous response from people within the building and construction industry. Engineering and railways are good aswell. So if you need some engineering done within the construction industry and you need to take a train to get there don't bother doing it on April 23!

Oh, *great*. So now you've managed to bollix up St. George's day. With friends

like you, we don't need the unions.
st_george_holiday

We lag far behind the rest of Europe in the number of bank holidays we get in England. An additional one wouldn't bring the country to its knees.

We already have several bank holidays and the country seems to function perfectly well on those days.

My comment earlier was light-hearted and clearly a joke. Ho-hum.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Not another English bank Holiday. Why can't you take them at the same time as everybody else? It's really annoying finding most of the country had taken the day off when you are trying to get your work done.

We should have a bank holiday that everybody takes off-maybe a Tony day to commemorate the day we get rid of our noble leader:sneaky:
Slade1

Post by Slade1 »

I always had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about the other countries in the UK having more bank holidays than us. I work for an Insurance company (oh God why??) and a little while ago I was looking at the holiday policy, turns out that they get more bank holidays but less annual leave (to equal it up).

That made me feel a lot better as I can take time off when I like, avoiding the usual bank holiday queues at Ikea.
xalisonx

Post by xalisonx »

I agree we need to make it a bank holiday like Jimbo said we celebrate other patron saint days, why dont we make such a fuss of our own?

plus st georges days my birthday and its a good way of making sure im never at work on it!

xx

Return to “England”