Britsh Cusine ( is this an oxymoron? )

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Can you actually use the words British and Cuisine in the same phrase? :D

My husband is a Brit and we laugh about this ~ mince and tatties, fish n' chips, tripe, blood pudding etc etc... I enjoy pub fare, it's good eating.

Anyone care to share their favorite british dishes?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

spotted dick. :D
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Britain has a tradition of good old fashioned hearty grub and its a preconception that all we eat is fish and chips. I haven't had them in ages (can't really afford it) and I don't think I've ever had mince and tatties as you so quaintly put it :) My mum makes a cracking steak and kidney pie !
Cass

Post by Cass »

My parents are from Glasgow (immigrated to Canada before I was born) we grew up on mince

My sisters and I used to mix the mince and mashed potatoes together in to a thick paste and spread it on the dinner plate, then slice it like it was pizza and pretend it was pizza LOL gawd that stuff is horrid.

We would do anything to get rid of it, hide it in napkins..etc... because we knew if there was any left over my mom would make something called 'stovies' the next day with it.. when she formed it into patties and fried it :eek:
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Sorry, think that must be a Scottish thing coz I have never had that 'pleasure' I feel sorry for you!
Cass

Post by Cass »

I still have nightmares about it... my mom makes the best curry though!
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

I Think fish and chips has now been replaced by Chiken Tikka as the number 1 fast food in the UK.

Whoever posted abouit spotted dick, my father insists that it had to be cooked in an old sock!!!
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Bothwell wrote: I Think fish and chips has now been replaced by Chiken Tikka as the number 1 fast food in the UK.

Whoever posted abouit spotted dick, my father insists that it had to be cooked in an old sock!!!

as regards the chicken tikka thing I would have to agree, i think these days way more people eat this than fish and chips. although both are tasty :)

as to the spotted dick issue, a sock....are you kidding? that's disgusting!!!!
gmc

Post by gmc »

My first taste of pizza was deep fried in batter from a fish and chip shop. It was about ten years before I tried another

posted by >>^..^

Brings back memories, used to be a way of eking out the food supply, the other one was skilly, ask your mum about that.
Lon

Post by Lon »

When is the last time you have heard someone say "Let's go out to an English Restruant"? Italian, Greek, Indian, Chinese, French, Japanese even German, but English? NEVER. Here in New Zealand with most of the folks being of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry the food is understandably bland. Regular ketsup is too spicy for some of them and they do love their bland TOMATO SAUCE. I made up 5 gallons of homemade chili con carne using the famous recipe from a Los Angeles restruant. I had to eat most of it (over time) myself, as it was just too hot and spicy for the Kiwi taste buds.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

You cant beat a good old sunday roast gravy yorshire puds my favorite .sarah jane
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

well my English sweetheart is a world-class cook,as a hobby, not vocation. he learned to enjoy it as a young man since his mum owned a restaurant. last week while he was here in states he prepared a leg of lamb, deboned and butterflied it, seared it with garlic and rosemary, and cooked it to perfection. he bought a living mint plant and made a mint sauce from scratch. he cracked the lamb bone and made a beautiful rich stock and gravy. he also made herb-roasted tiny new potatoes. it was a superb meal, four-star. lucky me! :) :-4
Cass

Post by Cass »

ladycop that meal sounded mouthwatering :)
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Which brings another question to mind.. how many men cook.. and I mean acutally cook. Not taking it outta the freezer or opening a can...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

>>^..^ Can you actually use the words British and Cuisine in the same phrase? :D

My husband is a Brit and we laugh about this ~ mince and tatties, fish n' chips, tripe, blood pudding etc etc... I enjoy pub fare, it's good eating.

Anyone care to share their favorite british dishes? Of course you can. I love all of the above. But you left out the Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding :driving:www.visitheartofengland.com
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

lady cop wrote: well my English sweetheart is a world-class cook,as a hobby, not vocation. he learned to enjoy it as a young man since his mum owned a restaurant. last week while he was here in states he prepared a leg of lamb, deboned and butterflied it, seared it with garlic and rosemary, and cooked it to perfection. he bought a living mint plant and made a mint sauce from scratch. he cracked the lamb bone and made a beautiful rich stock and gravy. he also made herb-roasted tiny new potatoes. it was a superb meal, four-star. lucky me! :) :-4

oooh lovely, is your man available for hire every other Sunday to cook my roast dinner?

Can I also ask you something that has been puzzling me for a few weeks. On an episode of Will and Grace, she was in a food place ordering an Onion Blossom. What is that? :-3
abbey

Post by abbey »

Never heard of it myself, bet Tombstone has a recipe tucked under his apron though.

Attached files
valerie

Post by valerie »

It's been years since I had an "onion blossom" but it was here in the

states as an appetizer in one of those chain restaurant thingies (Chili's

actually) and it was an onion cut to look sort of like a chrysanthemum

and then battered and deep fried. Yummy.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Longhorn Steak Houses have them, called "blooming onions".they are HUGE! and NO Smithy, my man will not be cooking for anyone except me! ;)
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Yep.. you can buy the gizmo to cut them in most kitchen supply stores.. usually the package has the recipe on it..

Ahhhh..for you LC.. what will he be making you.. breakfast in bed...??
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

Thanks for that guys, my mind is now rested! :yh_clap
abbey

Post by abbey »

Hey Smithy if you Google onion blossom it comes up with quite a few recipes x
Gypsy

Post by Gypsy »

lady cop;10482 wrote: spotted dick. :D

Gotta love a woman who eats her SPOTTED DICK!!:wah:
Gypsy

Post by Gypsy »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;21016 wrote: You cant beat a good old sunday roast gravy yorshire puds my favorite .sarah jane

I can beat it, BBQ Ribs and Chicken on the grill;)
Gypsy

Post by Gypsy »

Blooming Onion it is called at an American steakhouse called The Outback.

it is a huge whole white or yellow onion that is quartered but not cut all way through and then battered in eggs and milk and then in flour

it is deep fried til brown and then dipped in sauce, either honey mustard usally or ranch dressing.

I love yorkshires but hate roast. I hate roasted potatoes and lamb!

I love American Fried chicken.:)
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

Being from Yorkshire you can't beat giant Yorkshire puddings filled with meat, veg and onion gravy:D

I do like cod and chips with curry sauce on the chips, lovely;)

Paula xx
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

PaulaH;698788 wrote: Being from Yorkshire you can't beat giant Yorkshire puddings filled with meat, veg and onion gravy:D

I do like cod and chips with curry sauce on the chips, lovely;)

Paula xx

How's about Yorkshire Pud for desert? Filled with blackberry's (and vinegar in my wife's case).
Lady G

Post by Lady G »

I love food in general.

Not a lot I dont eat, boiled carrotts is something I avoid like the plague, it is yucksvilicous and badly cooked peppers..........ewwwwww.

Apart from that, having multicultural parents, being brought up in Spain, having a Montserratian ex and now a Jamaican Husband, being fussy about food is not something i have time to do.......................Yaaaaaaaay for food.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Steak and kidney pud. Stilton cheese. Spring greens. Red Leicester. Cornish clotted cream. Pasties. Bubble and squeak. Gooseberry pie. Roast duck with orange sauce. Yorkshire pudding. Pickled pork and cabbage and dumplings.

SWOON

By the way, the Outback Steakhouses found in America serve some very good Australian wines. But while the food has aussie sounding names, it's unrecognisable by Australians, who've definitely never deep friend an onion.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Fish 'n' Chips :yh_drool :-5 :-1 :wah: (off to buy airline ticket!!)

On my last visit home, the receptionist at our hotel was amazed at our first question on arrival - 'Where's the nearest Fish 'n' Chip shop?'.
Lady G

Post by Lady G »

I would have been amazed too, there are very few and far between Fish 'n' Chip shops that are decent left.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

And fish and chips just doesn't taste the same now they're not allowed to serve it to you in old newspaper.

Lady G

Post by Lady G »

AussiePam;704765 wrote: And fish and chips just doesn't taste the same now they're not allowed to serve it to you in old newspaper.

AND because the oil is not changed as often, and the quality of the fish and the chips is MUCH lower.

There is a place in Hackney (dalston actually) called Faulkners (I think) andthey do a VERY good Fish 'n' chips.

Pie and mash is awesome, I love it. I used to get it near Mount Pleasant when I would bunk off school years ago, but there is a decent one in Hoxton market too.

YUMMMMMMMM
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

The best thing about English food?

The stodgey stuff :wah:

treacle sponge, apple crumble, scones and clotted cream, toad in the hole, sausage and mash

drooling now!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Imladris;704967 wrote: The best thing about English food?

treacle sponge, apple crumble, scones and clotted cream, toad in the hole, sausage and mash

drooling now!

scones and clotted cream...........Mmmm Mmm Mmmm :D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

AussiePam;704765 wrote: And fish and chips just doesn't taste the same now they're not allowed to serve it to you in old newspaper.

:eek: Thats criminal!! :wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I think the allegedly poisonous substances in the newsprint added a je ne sais quoi de terrific flavour !!!! Who needs garlic, wine or herbs?!!!

:sneaky:

Chookie

Post by Chookie »

AussiePam;705244 wrote: I think the allegedly poisonous substances in the newsprint added a je ne sais quoi de terrific flavour !!!! Who needs garlic, wine or herbs?!!!

Soooo, did you prefer the flavours imparted by the Times, the Torygraph, the Hootsmon or the Sun?
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Hoots Mon, Chookie - Probably the Daily Telegraph - they had good cryptic crosswords too... if you could read though the grease, salt, vinegar and ketchup ...

On London cuisine, and Jamie Oliver. Apparently his healthy school lunch crusade is backfiring. But one teenager apparently told inspectors he was much fitter since the introduction of this in his school. He attributes this to the exercise his daily lunchtime walk away from the school canteen to the local Chippie affords him.

Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

AussiePam;705244 wrote: I think the allegedly poisonous substances in the newsprint added a je ne sais quoi de terrific flavour !!!! Who needs garlic, wine or herbs?!!!

:sneaky:

Heck I liked the poisonous substances in the newprint! :wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I think everyone did, Pheasy!!

watermark

Post by watermark »

Cass;10492 wrote: My parents are from Glasgow (immigrated to Canada before I was born) we grew up on mince

My sisters and I used to mix the mince and mashed potatoes together in to a thick paste and spread it on the dinner plate, then slice it like it was pizza and pretend it was pizza LOL gawd that stuff is horrid.

We would do anything to get rid of it, hide it in napkins..etc... because we knew if there was any left over my mom would make something called 'stovies' the next day with it.. when she formed it into patties and fried it :eek:

Hehe, what's with the mashed foods over yonder? Do you all lack teeth? No only kidding. I was reading on friends of carol thread some gawdawful sounding dish made with mashed mystery meat of some sort, anyway doesn't sound delicious. I'm sure it's an acquired taste, much like tabasco sauce on scrambled eggs is for me.

I make a veggie burger, recipe a la one of the original vegetarian loudmouths off the east coast, Mollie Katzen. Anyway I love them, much like fried mushburgers with a little tooth, provided by the chopped lentils and walnuts. Tasty on a bun with all the relishes one craves. Vinegar might be a nice option!

:)
watermark

Post by watermark »

Imladris;704967 wrote: The best thing about English food?

drooling now!

Oh my goodness treacle sponge, clotted cream??? Where do you all find these names? Sounds genital in origin :wah:
watermark

Post by watermark »

Lon posted:

"When is the last time you have heard someone say "Let's go out to an English Restruant"? Italian, Greek, Indian, Chinese, French, Japanese even German, but English? NEVER. "

haha- rolling on the floor- this is so true!

He also said:

"I made up 5 gallons of homemade chili con carne using the famous recipe from a Los Angeles restruant. I had to eat most of it (over time) myself, as it was just too hot and spicy for the Kiwi taste buds."

Wow, I have this problem almost weekly, but with my kids :). When will their tastebuds ever grow up!?? :rolleyes: My daughter tells me my tastebuds have been destroyed by a life of crime (you know, cigs, alcohol, salsa piquente).

Hmm, she may be right :thinking:.

Erin
watermark

Post by watermark »

Someone mentioned fish n chips. Oh man I just love fish n chips! Honestly I think that's my favorite dish of all time. My son went to Europe for a graduation present and went to England. I asked him what food he liked there. He wasn't too impressed, though he said he liked the fish n chips.

Or maybe he had them in Ireland? Who knows but I do think that this specialty originally came from England. I'd like to know. Here in the states I eat them at chain restaurants- most restaurants that sell fried foods will make a good rendition. I don't recommend anything but the whitefish cuz not sure if the cod or any fish that goes by an actual name is fresh anywhere you go :lips:.

Hope I wasn't too critical of English food but I'm not too partial of bland, mixed, and overcooked foods. Or organ meats. Or huge servings of meat. Or, oh, sorry, not to criticize :o.

Good thing for sauces and vinegar!! I'm interested in the curry someone mentioned. I wasn't aware the Brits made curry :-3

Erin
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Scone with clotted cream, lovely thick dollopy stuff!

Just so our foreign friends know what they're missing!!:wah:
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
watermark

Post by watermark »

Imladris;706385 wrote: Scone with clotted cream, lovely thick dollopy stuff!

Just so our foreign friends know what they're missing!!:wah:

I love a good scone, trouble is they are hard to find here where I live, I mean made right. I guess for me it's the name 'clotted' that gets me. Me love dollopy thick whipped cream!!

See ya
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by lon

When is the last time you have heard someone say "Let's go out to an English Restruant"? Italian, Greek, Indian, Chinese, French, Japanese even German, but English? NEVER.

Oh no?

guppy

Post by guppy »

I went to the bahamas onetime...i begged the english chef into a pizza (to keep from starving to death):wah:

Return to “England”