Contentment

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

There it is -- one of the most underrated and undervalued words in our language.

Contentment.

Why is it so hard to achieve this state of mind?
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Accountable

Contentment

Post by Accountable »

Do we really want to be truly content? I'm not so sure. To me, content implies a type of passivity. I'd love to be wrong. I'm happiest when I'm busy, faced with a challenge.
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

Hamster wrote: Hi Cher!! :-6

I think it is usually a case of we are looking to others to make us content-instead of being content wih ourselves and then enjoy someone else's company...

What do you think? This has been the reason for my discontent in the past...

Hello my lovely Hamster :-6

I am a content person. I celebrate all that is my life. And I do it on a regular basis.

I think part of the problem is that people, on a scale of 1-10, want to be at 9 or 10 ALL of the time. They want to be in love and in like with their partner ALL of the time. They want to like their job ALL of the time. I think it's about managing your expectations.

I tell my husband that I am happily married because I don't expect him to be the BEST husband all of the time. He will say to me, "Oh, that's great. You're only happy because you've got such low expectations of me." And I tell him, "That's NOT true! I just don't have *the highest* expectations of you ALL of the time. That way, I get disappointed LESS often."

Does that make sense? It's kind of my life philosophy. And it's truly led me to be a content human being. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

SnoozeControl wrote: Hmmm, maybe I do have low expectations. e:thinking:

Snoozie

Maybe just lowER expectations. . . which I think is the key to contentment.

Acc

Don't confuse 'settling' with being content. If being challenged is part of what makes you tick, then *by all means* keep it in your life. It's a great thing!

And be content that you're able to find gratification from being challenged.
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

Hamster wrote: Isn't it just learning to be content with what you have whilst you pursue what you want?

I love a challenge too Acc....If you aren't striving for/towards something what is point of it all?

Little Furry Creature :) --

That was beautifully stated. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Accountable

Contentment

Post by Accountable »

I'm happy. Setbacks that occur outside of my control don't bother me much. I s'pose that fits the definition of 'content' right?
zinkyusa

Contentment

Post by zinkyusa »

For me I find as I get older I find it easier to accept many things the way they are and stay fairly emotionally even..This equals contentment. I much prefer this to the wild ups and downs I experienced in my younger years..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

zinkyusa wrote: I much prefer this to the wild ups and downs I experienced in my younger years..

I agree, Zinkster

I used to mistake those ups and downs for passion :guitarist

But they're too draining to live with :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Ocnbrz

Contentment

Post by Ocnbrz »

I suppose for some of us contentment can be hard to grasp when we are bombarded with media shows and advertisements of all kinds suggesting that we need to be more wealthy, more beautiful, look younger, have more material possessions etc... I think our values play a part in all this. I may not measure up in their eyes, but then I am not looking at myself through their eyes. I look through my own. I am content not because I have settled for anything but because I have the challenges and people that I need to make me feel whole in my life. If something makes me unhappy I change it ... or change my attitude about it. We all have days or times in our lives that make us go :-5 that is normal, for me at least. *L* I am happy and content because I choose to be. It works for me at least. :guitarist :-6

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

Ocnbrz wrote: I If something makes me unhappy I change it ... or change my attitude about it. We all have days or times in our lives that make us go :-5 that is normal, for me at least. *L* I am happy and content because I choose to be. It works for me at least. :guitarist :-6

Hiya Mr. Breezy (my nickname for you) :-6

I especially like the points you made that I have highlighted. Nice post.
Live Life with

PASSION

Ocnbrz

Contentment

Post by Ocnbrz »

Thanks Cher! :-6

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
woppy71

Contentment

Post by woppy71 »

I don't think I am content. I am content with Carrie-Anne and Archie, but not with myself. There always seems to be something that I am Striving for or something that I wan't. I think its a curse sometimes, one of my bad character flaws, possibly:(
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

woppy71 wrote: I don't think I am content. I am content with Carrie-Anne and Archie, but not with myself. There always seems to be something that I am Striving for or something that I wan't. I think its a curse sometimes, one of my bad character flaws, possibly:(

Wopster :-6

I think some people 'grow into' contentment

You are a younger person than me

And it took me a while to get to this place :)

Self-acceptance can be a difficult thing
Live Life with

PASSION

SuzyB

Contentment

Post by SuzyB »

I couldn't agree with you more Cher, when i was younger i had so many insecurities, it's only now that i'm older (30's) i've found contenment.
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

SuzyB wrote: I couldn't agree with you more Cher, when i was younger i had so many insecurities, it's only now that i'm older (30's) i've found contenment.

Right on Susie :)

I call it growing older *and* wiser :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

Contentment

Post by Marie5656 »

Hamster wrote: Hi Cher!! :-6

I think it is usually a case of we are looking to others to make us content-instead of being content wih ourselves and then enjoy someone else's company...

What do you think? This has been the reason for my discontent in the past...

I had a friend back in the 80's who I think was like this. She seemed totally not content to do things on her own. It seems as if she was only happy when she was interacting or doing things with others...it was if she was not happy with her own company. If there was a restaurant she wanted to try, or a movie she really wanted to see, she would not go at all if she could not find someone to go with. I feel she missed out on alot of experiences, and the pleasure of her own company.

Cher, I am not sure if this is where you were going with the question, but here is where I want to go with my answer.

I feel that if you cannot be content on your own, then it is more difficult to be content with others.

Of course, I am speaking as one of the most anti-social people I know. You all know I have mentioned may times I have often preferred the pleasure of my own company that the company of others . Not always the best of situations for me, as I have found that it has always been hard for me to comfortably interact with others.

But am I content with my life? yes, I think so. Would I change things, yes I would. In a heartbeat.
chonsigirl

Contentment

Post by chonsigirl »

Contentment-the unattainable goal. You do not reach for it as much as you grow older, knowing you can never have it completely. I know I will never have mine.

I know I will not find it in my lifetime, but I want it nonetheless.
Marie5656

Contentment

Post by Marie5656 »

Chonsi and Hamster, I think I have to agree with you. To my way of thinking, contentment is not an absolute. Alot depends on circumstances, and where you are in your life. What you were content with 5 years ago..or even just a year ago...does not mean you would be content under the same circumstances today..or tomorrow or next week.

There are alot of variables there.
zinkyusa

Contentment

Post by zinkyusa »

if i make expectations of other people, places or things i lessen my chances of being content..:)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

zinkyusa wrote: if i make expectations of other people, places or things i lessen my chances of being content

Exactly, Zinkster :)

This brings me back to my "lowered expectation" theory. And by that, I mean lowering my expectations of *others*. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

chonsigirl

Contentment

Post by chonsigirl »

I have lowered my goals, as far as what I can expect from life's fulfillment.

My personal goals of what I want to do have increased, and are met.

But they are nothing, if life is not there to make you smile once in awhile. Are they dependant on another-of course. I don't ask for much, just an itty bitty thing. But I know I will never have it. So I am not content, until I have it.

All I want is this: I want my husband to call me by my name, and then I will know he remembers me. And he cannot do this. To be a nonentity every day is very difficult, and not something to be content with, I am worth more than that. I am worth more then 'nuttin. I grasp at a smile once a day, and that is a good thing to have, but a name is better. I want to hear my name.
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

I love you, Chonsi

And I understand.
Live Life with

PASSION

Accountable

Contentment

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl wrote: I have lowered my goals, as far as what I can expect from life's fulfillment.

My personal goals of what I want to do have increased, and are met.

But they are nothing, if life is not there to make you smile once in awhile. Are they dependant on another-of course. I don't ask for much, just an itty bitty thing. But I know I will never have it. So I am not content, until I have it.

All I want is this: I want my husband to call me by my name, and then I will know he remembers me. And he cannot do this. To be a nonentity every day is very difficult, and not something to be content with, I am worth more than that. I am worth more then 'nuttin. I grasp at a smile once a day, and that is a good thing to have, but a name is better. I want to hear my name.That tears my heart. :yh_flower :yh_flower :yh_flower :yh_flower
jbbarker1947

Contentment

Post by jbbarker1947 »

Accountable wrote: Do we really want to be truly content? I'm not so sure. To me, content implies a type of passivity. I'd love to be wrong. I'm happiest when I'm busy, faced with a challenge.

I agree. Complacent comes to mind. I need a target or goal.
Adam Zapple

Contentment

Post by Adam Zapple »

(I haven't read all the responses.) Contentment is a subjective idea. I honestly believe contentment can be easily achieved but too often we let others define that state for us. You know, "the grass is always greener", "keep up with the Joneses". Ad campaigns, media, the popular culture all led us to believe that in order to be content one must achieve success and prosperity as it is defined by society. Those that are poor or not financially secure are viewed as either victims or sloths so how can they be content? When we quit letting others define the terms for us, it is much easier to actually reach a state of contentment.
weber

Contentment

Post by weber »

Contentment is when you spill your coffee on the floor and quickly retrieve the cup and sit down with what is left and read the paper. I do that often so I had better be content:guitarist
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
Accountable

Contentment

Post by Accountable »

jbbarker1947 wrote: I agree. Complacent comes to mind. I need a target or goal.Good to see ya. You're not here enough.
cherandbuster

Contentment

Post by cherandbuster »

SnoozeControl wrote: That works for me. :thinking:

You gotta love Snoozie

You just gotta :-4
Live Life with

PASSION

Return to “General Chit Chat”