AMBER ALERT--Florida

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
robinseggs

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by robinseggs »

Ladycop glad you are still among the living! Ha! I had that flu a month ago and actually had to go spend 6 hrs in the hospital...ugh!

Now I just have one question--WHY on earth would they be having Mark lead or guide them on a search???? Does he know something? Do the authorities know he is involved and just haven't released it yet??? Ok I am a nut to say this, but I still wish they would get a pyschic involved. I know that 99 out of 100 of them are kooks/not credible, but truly there is something to the ones that are genuine. I am NOT a pyschic , but due to some personal experiences that I have witnessed, I know they are not always a waste of time and believe in their usefulness in crime solving. That said, I guess how long would it take to find the true one from the nut trying to get attention?????????
Nature laughs Last
robinseggs

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by robinseggs »

OK.................don't laugh. My husband and I have been watching a lot of true crime documentaries (and the local evening news) for years. I know it sounds crazy, but we noticed that every time they show a criminal molester, they would always have these crazy eyeglasses that have those big huge lenses almost covering the cheeks! And sometimes tinted but not always! I know it sounds silly but start taking note of it! My husband thought i was crazy at first, but now whenever the pic flashes on the screen, (and 9 times out of 10 there's the glasses), my husband and i just look at each other and crack up! Now we have had more people come to us and say, "Wow! You're right!" I took statistics and logic in college, so I am not stupid, but there really is some kind of connection here i think! Ladycop admits you can't arrest people by their glasses, but it sure does give me some red flags!!! I know, I sound nutty! Ha! Oh well, so the relevance to all this--I pointed out that the grandfather HAS THE GLASSES!!!!!

And he HAS been arrested in the past (50 yrs ago) for attempted rape of a child. YIKES!
Nature laughs Last
kensloft

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by kensloft »

lady cop wrote: thankyou for kind words and wishes, i really have been very sick.... i know today was going to be the volunteer search, but i have heard nothing reported. i know this, with mark guiding and directing the search, if he said go to point A, i would do just the opposite. i hope those here who live in the area will fill us in on today's happenings...thanks!
Glad you're feeling better. Flu?
CARLA

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by CARLA »

This story has just gone off the news wires altogether???

I here nothing, I see nothing about Jessica. With the slaughter in Atlanta her story is no where to be found.. :-1
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

robinseggs

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by robinseggs »

True, so sad
Nature laughs Last
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Jessica's mother, Angela, has returned to Ohio. says there's nothing else she can do here and has two other kids to take care of. i can't blame her really.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

chocoholicmommy wrote: Is there anyway that someone could, pardon the expression, "take care or dispose of a body" so that the dogs couldnt find it? Just curious. I guess I expected the body to be somewhere nearby if someone she knew abducted her.it would not come as a huge shock to me if Jessica's scent ended at the driveway, and her body is not in citrus county. the task force is painstakingly making a case and i am waiting to see which comes first...an arrest or finding her body.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Sheriff is saying they have a "person of interest" they wish to question. more details IF i get them. could mean anything.
legaleagle

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by legaleagle »

lady cop wrote: Sheriff is saying they have a "person of interest" they wish to question. more details IF i get them. could mean anything.

While the gut feeling is that either Mark or Archie are the responsible parties here, that feeling is no doubt fueled by the fact that they are less than solid citizens - sleazy types. The sad ending of this story is no doubt that Jessica is dead somewhere which is the only important thing along with that whoever did it gets apprehended and prosecuted before he does it again.

I still think once you get by the negative personal characteristics of these two, you can still make a case that another party known to Jessica lured her out of the house - again her bedroom door was closed which she could have done to make sure no one thought she had left and the front door was unlocked which she could obviously have left open so she could get back in.

I know everyone says she was an innocent kid not streetwise but then because of that couldn't she have been deceived more easily by someone she thought was a friend. I do hope that the authorities are still looking at that possibility very seriously.

Whoever is involved is not a stranger. The members of the church are a great starting point. Churches welcome everyone - who knows who was lurking there?
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

•

from FOX news

•

HOMOSASSA, Fla. — Investigators have identified a "person of interest" they want to interview in the case of missing 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford , authorities said Tuesday.

Sheriff Jeff Dawsy said in a statement that although "no one has been crossed off the list of possible suspects," detectives had developed information about a man who is believed to be out of state.

"Detectives want to question him concerning Jessica's disappearance," said Dawsy, who provided no other details including where the man was believed to be.

Jessica hasn't been seen since Feb. 23, after her grandmother she says she tucked her into bed at the family's home, about 60 miles north of Tampa

The statement also said that "red flags" were raised in an FBI polygraph test ) given March 4 to the girl's grandmother, Ruth Lunsford, regarding two of her responses. But investigators were unable to determine what, if anything, she might know about Jessica's disappearance, the sheriff said.

Reached Tuesday by telephone at the family's home, Ruth Lunsford, 73, said investigators have told the family nothing.
mominiowa

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by mominiowa »

Person of intrest.... :thinking:

I guess maybe we need to put pics of Jessica up in Iowa and in all of the states...This is way off of what I felt..Wouldn't it be a miricle if she left with someone out of fear and is alive..or some one from her church maybe was trying to save her from some one else...If you hear more PLEASE LC forward it on...I hope u r feeling better..

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Thankyou Ladies , i do feel a little better.....the sheriff has stated that if they do not not locate the "person of interest" within 48 hours he will release the name to the public to help look for him. still no details why they want to debrief this person. ...also, mark will be taking questions at 0700 eastern wed. (FOX). not exactly prime time.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Yes, presser at 5:30 eastern. evidently the person of interest is a convicted sex offender from the area. so they will release his name and photo. i will be listening very closely to the exact wording of whatever announcement they make. we're under tornado watches until 8:PM , so we shall see if the weather has an impact. :( i have no idea why it was moved up, but frankly i saw no point to the first announcement.
mominiowa

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by mominiowa »

I am glad that they have a lead...I was just hoping that it wouldn't have been with a sex offender ~ but maybe she is alive and he has no idea they are searching - The sad thing if he knows then maybe it is to late....

Hello to Mary - I will drop a note sometime soon..:)

Hope the tornados stay away for awhile, u all have had to much bad weather to begin with...

I have to work tonight - I will be reading when I get home.. Lets hope for some good news!!!!

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
LoveMama

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by LoveMama »

I'm dying to hear what LE has to say about this 'person of interest"

What an odd announcement.

Well.......Blake got off.............and snot Peterson didn't.

Whatta day!

xxxxxxxxxooooo

mama
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

Police Want To Question Sex Offender In Girl's Disappearance

Jessica's Father Confident She'll Be Found Alive

POSTED: 11:38 am EST March 16, 2005

UPDATED: 6:06 pm EST March 16, 2005

HOMOSASSA, Fla. -- Detective identified the "person of interest" they are seeking to interview in last month's disappearance of 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford as a 46-year-old registered sex offender who left the area without telling authorities.

John Evander Couey

Detectives became interested in John "Johnny" Evander Couey while they were attempting to contract every registered sex offender who lived near Jessica's home and found out that he was no longer living at the address and hadn't notified authorities as required by law. Couey lived about two miles north of her house, authorities said.

From interviewing relatives, investigators found out that Couey had traveled to Savannah, Ga.

Family Photo

Jessica Lunsford

Savannah police said they interviewed a man Saturday after Citrus officials asked them to talk to him. He was found in a Salvation Army shelter, but since there wasn't a warrant for his arrest, investigators released him, said Sgt. Mike Wilson of the Savannah-Chatham County Police Department.

It wasn't clear if that man was Couey.

Father Confident Jessica Will Be Found Safe

Jessica's Father said Wednesday he is convinced she will be found safe.

Mark Lunsford

Mark Lunsford said Citrus County sheriff's detectives have told him little about their investigation and nothing about the man they are seeking, but he remains confident.

"I truly believe my daughter is alive and is coming home," Lunsford told reporters.

Lunsford had called the morning news conference to announced that he was organizing another search for Jessica this weekend, but ended up spending most of the time answering questions about developments in the case.
kensloft

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by kensloft »

NancyTN wrote: By MIKE BRANOM

Associated Press Writer

John Evander Couey, 46, lived about two miles north of the child's home but sometimes stayed with relatives who live within "eyeshot'' of her house, Citrus County Sheriff Jeff Dawsy said.

Couey's criminal record includes multiple arrests for burglary, carrying a concealed weapon, indecent exposure, disorderly conduct and larceny. In 1991, he was arrested in Kissimmee on a charge of fondling a child under age 16. In 1978, during a burglary of an occupied residence, he was accused of grabbing a girl in her bedroom, placing his hand over her mouth and kissing her, Dawsy said.

Here is a little more info- PS He only served 2 years of his 10 year sentence in 1978. Sexual predators are known to be repeat offenders. I am for GPS devices if they are ever let out! Oh but the ACLU would probably not like that, but that's a whole nother thread! :lips:

Well, the ACLU had better take another gander at what they are doing and what they are about. Whose liberties are being curtailed. The laws that were written when there was little or no understanding of sexual predators that prey on children. Now that we know a little more shouldn't there be some newer way of looking at things.
legaleagle

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by legaleagle »

NancyTN wrote: By MIKE BRANOM

Associated Press Writer

John Evander Couey, 46, lived about two miles north of the child's home but sometimes stayed with relatives who live within "eyeshot'' of her house, Citrus County Sheriff Jeff Dawsy said.

Couey's criminal record includes multiple arrests for burglary, carrying a concealed weapon, indecent exposure, disorderly conduct and larceny. In 1991, he was arrested in Kissimmee on a charge of fondling a child under age 16. In 1978, during a burglary of an occupied residence, he was accused of grabbing a girl in her bedroom, placing his hand over her mouth and kissing her, Dawsy said.

Here is a little more info- PS He only served 2 years of his 10 year sentence in 1978. Sexual predators are known to be repeat offenders. I am for GPS devices if they are ever let out! Oh but the ACLU would probably not like that, but that's a whole nother thread! :lips:

While this would fit my scenario of Jessica being lured out of her house by a known party on the surface, we have a few big holes in the rush to judgement of this guy.

The guy apparently does not have a car (no license for 99 years) and no one has indicated that he had access to one. Unless he was staying down the street that night that leaves him with a 2 mile walk - and/or where is the body since he couldn't have moved it very far without a vehicle. Do you really think the relatives would be covering for him and thereby end up being charged as accessories? Doubt it. He probably was not in the neigbhorhood house that night or I bet they would have made someone aware of that.

We also have the problem of whether he knew the family or not. Apparently the answer is no, so how did he get into the house if Jessica did not know him and we have no evidence of a forced entry? If we believe the Lunsfords, the front door is always locked, did he just happen to pick the night that the Lunsfords happened to forget to lock the front door?? What are the odds of that?

Also with respect to the Savannah police, last I knew you could drag anyone down to the local cooler for about 24 hours before you had to either charge the person or let him go. I have to assume this guy's alibi had some credence to it as they did not jump through any hoops to keep him on ice until the locals got there.

Also, since we had a parole violation warrant on record, why didn't the locals have an upgraded warrant in hand BEFORE putting this story out there? They knew he was out of state and would need one in order to hold him for any time?

Sloppy work.

I reserve judgment until I see that he may have had personal contact with Jessica and somehow had access to a vehicle before I jump on this bus.

Is this nearby person's house next door to any of Jessica's friends? If so, that friend(s) should be interviewed as to whether this guy had been "socializing" with them.

Not convinced yet but this is the closest we've seen to a lead with any substance yet.
lady cop

AMBER ALERT--Florida

Post by lady cop »

my instincts are telling me that this guy isn't good for it. if he were, her body would be somewhere local, and we've already been around and around with that scenario. he may well be just another local sleazebag who is now going to be picked up on a VOP, but this isn't his MO. unrelated...i notice increasing hostility in grandma's dealings with the press. she was positively nasty yesterday morning when asked questions.

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”