After life? Or another time around....

telephoto lens

Post by telephoto lens »

Hamster;443569 wrote: Thanks for being so open and honest-that is really refreshing! :-6

Well, I try and I always thought Eugene O'Neal's life motto 'the truth is never bad' is a good phrase to live by. Though I would amend it to say the truth is never bad but can be very embarrassing. :) As for the link I provided I forgot to note the one painting entitled 'Still Searching' is about the soul. The context is during the positivistic 19th century medical doctors thought they could find the soul by disecting it, weighing the body before and after death, investigating individual organs.....

http://www.myspace.com/richardmelvin
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Oh boy, I could completely overtake this thread with my notions, if I'm not careful to cut it short! ;)

This is only my personal opinion...

I think we come from *God* who has always been. No beginning, no end. I don't believe anyone ever actually dies. And believe me, since losing Mom, I have done even more searching and thinking than I normally do on this subject!

I am not sure how I feel about reincarnation so I'll leave that one open, but I do feel there is an afterlife, that there are other dimensions besides our current one and that life as we know it is one big mission to improve and learn whatever lessons we need so that we can evolve and eventually come to know God. (Whatever anyone's God(s) may be!) I think there is probably one God Force and many, many ways of getting to *God.* Hence all the religions. I don't think there is only one true way. I don't buy that.

I am as sure as I know in my heart that life and love are the two constants. I think love is the driving force; the thing that moves the world. And I have NO DOUBT in my mind that when we cross over (my term for "dying") we will be reunited with our loved ones and we will either come to know what it's all about then, or else we will be a little closer to knowing.

:)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

RedGlitter;443961 wrote: Oh boy, I could completely overtake this thread with my notions, if I'm not careful to cut it short! ;)

This is only my personal opinion...

I think we come from *God* who has always been. No beginning, no end. I don't believe anyone ever actually dies. And believe me, since losing Mom, I have done even more searching and thinking than I normally do on this subject!

I am not sure how I feel about reincarnation so I'll leave that one open, but I do feel there is an afterlife, that there are other dimensions besides our current one and that life as we know it is one big mission to improve and learn whatever lessons we need so that we can evolve and eventually come to know God. (Whatever anyone's God(s) may be!) I think there is probably one God Force and many, many ways of getting to *God.* Hence all the religions. I don't think there is only one true way. I don't buy that.

I am as sure as I know in my heart that life and love are the two constants. I think love is the driving force; the thing that moves the world. And I have NO DOUBT in my mind that when we cross over (my term for "dying") we will be reunited with our loved ones and we will either come to know what it's all about then, or else we will be a little closer to knowing.

:)

I agree that we come from what you have called God which I now use as a convenient term for the overall motivating force of love. There is no beginning and there is no end - at least with regard to the whole of life which includes both the physical and metaphysical.

I do not believe, however, that we have any particular lesson to learn. We, as physical beings, believe this simply because we have to strive to live. Yet, if we hold with the higher state of love, everything we need comes to us. The illusion created in our physical state gives us one challenge - to remain in the state of the higher love. The Kingdom of God is around us and within us, so why should we strive? We strive only when we lose our way.

I also agree that there are many paths. I believe there are as many paths as there are beings. Each one pursuing their own joy.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;443968 wrote: As in..life was never meant to be a struggle..just follow your bliss and all will fall into place?

Yup. Again, I re-iterate. Life as we perceive it is simply a physical manifestation created by energy. We are constantly in the spirit realm.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

OpenMind;443975 wrote: Yup. Again, I re-iterate. Life as we perceive it is simply a physical manifestation created by energy. We are constantly in the spirit realm.

That's a good way of putting things. I'm not sure Open Mind, if I took it the was you meant it but I know when I see birth of any kind (babies, animals, blooms on plants) or death (because it fits in there) or any part of nature, I am aware of Spirit. Aware of something far more powerful and comprehensive than I could ever hope to understand.

And I will agree to the energy. The soul, our life essence, is energy.

I say that like I'm preaching but I don't mean it like that. :) Only my thought.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;443980 wrote: Ok so how do we get closer to being loving completely all the time?

By knowing and loving ourselves. We acquire a compassion that can nurture all the life around us.:-4
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hammy, it's open now!!

Sorry about that! :o
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

RedGlitter;443984 wrote:

That's a good way of putting things. I'm not sure Open Mind, if I took it the was you meant it but I know when I see birth of any kind (babies, animals, blooms on plants) or death (because it fits in there) or any part of nature, I am aware of Spirit. Aware of something far more powerful and comprehensive than I could ever hope to understand.

And I will agree to the energy. The soul, our life essence, is energy.

I say that like I'm preaching but I don't mean it like that. :) Only my thought.

Perhaps you are not sure of yourself, Red. We each of us see a slightly different aspect of life. Don't be afraid to state what you believe with confidence. Some of my understanding comes from what I have so far learnt about quantum mechanics. A lot of the problem is simply finding the words to express what we believe. Debate is good for that purpose though.

The fact that we are making an effort here is due to our wonderment of life. It is heartening to know that there are so many who have retained this wonderment through life's experiences. There are many who have lost their way and their energy is only sifficient to see them through till they die.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;444036 wrote: I quite often wonder what makes some lose their way?? Did they ever have it? And how did I find mine after 28 years of not knowing?? :-5

A lot depends on how we are brought up from birth and what we are taught. This shapes our perceptions of the life around us.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;443989 wrote: I am trying to love myself but its hard to know who we really are... And everytime I feel close to knowing it changes anyway! :-5

Well, I will have the opportunity to show you.:-6 :-4
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;444054 wrote: :o :o

Heheh. You look good in red!:wah:
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;444062 wrote: *Hammy runs blushing trying to think of a way to get her revenge*

Maybe I'll come and find you in the next life and torment you?

Heehee.:D
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;444067 wrote: Ok getting back on track here I wanted to know what makes some of us shed those perceptions from our upbringing and go a different route and some of us not?

It seems some people follow blindly and some question everything?

It cant all be down to our upbringing surely? Maybe my DNA contains coding for a "searching"??

Everyone has the necessary prerequisites to seek their own path. However, the ability to seek it can be heavily inhibited by the person's upbringing.
Ocnbrz

Post by Ocnbrz »

Hamster;444067 wrote: Ok getting back on track here I wanted to know what makes some of us shed those perceptions from our upbringing and go a different route and some of us not?

It seems some people follow blindly and some question everything?

It cant all be down to our upbringing surely? Maybe my DNA contains coding for a "searching"??

Could it be a "choice" we make?

Some take the easy way out and choose not to improve themselves?

Not sure if I am making sense here...:o

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
Ocnbrz

Post by Ocnbrz »

Hamster;444077 wrote: I know what you mean Oc... But I have to say its the other way for me..

Sitting there as I was seemed hard until I started down this road and then I realised the growing and learning was harder.

To stay as I was would have been the easy choice...

I agree with you there ... change can be hard if we think of it that way I guess. The souls that move on tend to take on the challenge of growing, learning?

At Christmas I no more desire a rose

Than wish a snow in May's new-fangled mirth;

But like of each thing that in season grows. -Shakespeare
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;444073 wrote: But then why do some shake off the worst circumstances and change their path and some sit in quiet desparation and do nothing?

Oh my head hurts now!!

This depends on what they are taught as they grow up. Some do not believe they can reach out and have what they want. Some believe they are not worthy. Some are taught they can have anything they want and overdo it losing themselves in the process. Learning self-love depends on the inhibitions instilled in us from birth.

Those that are taught that they can have what they want providing they're prepared to work/reach for it and are taught healthy values will stand the best chance of realising their potential.
Bez

Post by Bez »

This is something that I have always been un-decided about.

My PRACTICAL side tells me that when you die your remains are buried or ashes scattered and that it is....the END...you get re-cycled

My Christian up bringing told me that when I die I go to heaven and live with the angels in heaven

My Buddhist practise tells me that death is a latent state (much like sleep) that allows life-force to be restored and refreshed for its next manifestation which is reflected in the way you have lived in your current life.....

I'm not sure I yet understand any of it really....
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
guppy

Post by guppy »

i am undecided on what i believe anymore. i was born and raised in the baptist church. believed unconditionally all the stuff i was raised on. that goodness and kindness survive. to be humble. that marriage is forever in the eyes of god. i believed whole heartedly that we are saved through jesus christ. that when we die we go to heaven. in the last seven years everything i believed in unquestionally doesn't work anymore. i dont quite believe in any of it . no matter what was handed my way i believed there would be a better place for me later.

my morals and values are ingrained ot the point that i dont do alot of things alot of other people do. maybe i am wrong. The point is, my whole way of life and everything i based my life decisions on seems to not be there anymore. i question everything i ever believed in and am not sure of anything anymore. i know one thing i was alot better off when i still had my rose colored glasses on. the new way of thinking is depressing.

i do believe there are souls we touch and come in contact with that are meant to be. i have two friends and i know we will be friends till we die. as long as each of us knows the other is on this earth somewhere it makes the world seem like not such a lonely place. no matter what we all have eachother. :)

i am not sure i believe in an afterlife anymore.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

guppy;444212 wrote: i am undecided on what i believe anymore. i was born and raised in the baptist church. believed unconditionally all the stuff i was raised on. that goodness and kindness survive. to be humble. that marriage is forever in the eyes of god. i believed whole heartedly that we are saved through jesus christ. that when we die we go to heaven. in the last seven years everything i believed in unquestionally doesn't work anymore. i dont quite believe in any of it . no matter what was handed my way i believed there would be a better place for me later.

my morals and values are ingrained ot the point that i dont do alot of things alot of other people do. maybe i am wrong. The point is, my whole way of life and everything i based my life decisions on seems to not be there anymore. i question everything i ever believed in and am not sure of anything anymore. i know one thing i was alot better off when i still had my rose colored glasses on. the new way of thinking is depressing.

i do believe there are souls we touch and come in contact with that are meant to be. i have two friends and i know we will be friends till we die. as long as each of us knows the other is on this earth somewhere it makes the world seem like not such a lonely place. no matter what we all have eachother. :)

i am not sure i believe in an afterlife anymore.

Guppy. It sounds like you are going through what they call 'The dark night of the Soul'. My heart goes out to you if so. My heart goes out to you if not.:-4
guppy

Post by guppy »

OpenMind;444289 wrote: Guppy. It sounds like you are going through what they call 'The dark night of the Soul'. My heart goes out to you if so. My heart goes out to you if not.:-4

thank you open mind. you are very sweet. :-4
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Hamster;444313 wrote: Hi Bez..This is probably the closest to what I believe....It is very confusing. Since starting this thread I have more questions than I have managed to get answers for!

So I noticed.:rolleyes:
guppy

Post by guppy »

i like the way openmind thinks. i started out in one group and now i am going to put myself in the second.:-6
guppy

Post by guppy »

Hamster;444320 wrote: Are ya talking about me?? You can say if you are!! :wah:

It may be harder without the rose coloured glasses Guppy but you have been given a chance to become more and to grow. You may not see the benefit of that now but its better than where you were before in my opinion...:-4

oh hush, and give me a cookie!!

a choclolate chip cookie. i dont want the one you just slobbered all the chocolate out of.:wah:
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

guppy;444318 wrote: i like the way openmind thinks. i started out in one group and now i am going to put myself in the second.:-6

Welcome aboard, Guppy. I'll take that as a compliment. But now, all you have to do is to follow what feels good and right to you. Your instinct and intuition were given yo you to guide you.:-6
guppy

Post by guppy »

Hamster;444327 wrote: Do you mind?? This is my serious thread!!! :wah:

try and hand me that slobbered cookie again and you will see how serious i am!!!!!:wah:
guppy

Post by guppy »

i am not.!!!!!
guppy

Post by guppy »

am not prissy!!:wah:

Return to “Philosophy”