To Be Or Not To Be...

koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

What are the relations of culture to common life, of the scholar to the day-laborer? What is the value of this vast accumulation of higher learning, what is its point of contact with the mass of humanity, that toils and eats and sleeps and reproduces itself and dies, generation after generation, in an unvarying round, on an unvarying level?

:wah:

obviously written by an intellectual

in this case:

WHAT IS YOUR CULTURE TO ME?

By Charles Dudley Warner
K.Snyder

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by K.Snyder »

Perhaps motivation?

Motivation that is instilled in us much like common virtues parents instill in their children. Perhaps we focus more on teaching our children morale values more than teaching them the importance of simple rational competence that goes hand and hand with today's society. One can argue which is better of the two, but in determining where ones passion lay, parents have to seek out what it is their children are interested in at an early age as opposed to what they themselves would like to see their kids take an interest in.

I think society tends to emphasize on what needs to be done, as opposed to the importance of people actually being happy, and I think this has alot to do with the demand to fuel the economy from people who benefit from that very same thing themselves.
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

work, eat, sleep, reproduce and die...

is that really the sum of life for many people?
bigears

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by bigears »

errr...what is the relationship of day-to-day common life - real life - to the culture of your so-called intelluctaliity?

we feed you - provide your day-to-day transport - build your houses - print your newspapers - enable your on-line dialogue - but clearly we're so common
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

bravo. I was suspicious of this passage as well. (hence the laughing face)
bigears

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by bigears »

koan;449838 wrote: bravo. I was suspicious of this passage as well. (hence the laughing face)

why post then?
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

bigears;449840 wrote: why post then?

is that a rhetorical question?
bigears

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by bigears »

koan;449841 wrote: is that a rhetorical question?

no. you've lost me.
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

you lost me around when you started saying

"we feed you.."

as if I was the writer of said piece and as if you belong to a 'we' and I am a 'you'.
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

The issue at hand is:

how do people feel being refered to this way? why do intellectuals say such things? and do they really believe it?

btw, when someone says "to be or not to be" I don't suggest asking why they post. It's from Hamlet's suicidal moment. Not that I'll make anyone's day by doing myself in.
bigears

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by bigears »

koan;449843 wrote: you lost me around when you started saying

"we feed you.."

as if I was the writer of said piece and as if you belong to a 'we' and I am a 'you'.

I do beg your pardon.

"what is its point of contact with the mass of humanity"

physically you are fed by the "mass of society" and would therefore die if isolated.

Also not sure if the massof societyactually needs "approval" from the self-imposed beliefs of you and yours
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

persistant ain't ya?

How about you check out the OP and read the part where it says where the quote came from. Then notice the laughing smiley inserted by myself.

If you're just looking for someone to rant on then, by all means go ahead, just don't expect a legitimate response from me.
bigears

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by bigears »

koan;449851 wrote: persistant ain't ya?

How about you check out the OP and read the part where it says where the quote came from. Then notice the laughing smiley inserted by myself.

If you're just looking for someone to rant on then, by all means go ahead, just don't expect a legitimate response from me.

in other words you're just trying to wind people up
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

bigears;449857 wrote: in other words you're just trying to wind people up

you seem to be the only one wound up at the moment.

can I wind you down? I have been trying to do that and it's not working.

there is a topic here.....focus.
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.

I didn't write that one, either.

I'm off to sleep. Find someone else to fight with.
K.Snyder

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by K.Snyder »

bigears;449849 wrote:

physically you are fed by the "mass of society" and would therefore die if isolated.

I'm not quite sure this statement carries wait, not even in today's society.

We all are witness to countless tribes throughout the world who maintain a steady village type society, without any aid from modern technology. Everyone has their part in society, but I hardly feel like anyone would die of starvation given their own determination to live. That is unless of course the land in which they reside doesn't dictate that by any means, which rules out any fortitude supposedly superior than anyone elses. We just would be without luxury that's all, and one mans luxury is another mans discontent. Luxury is about perception. It's about what you've been used to. It hardly calls for necessity.
buttercup

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by buttercup »

koan;449836 wrote: work, eat, sleep, reproduce and die...

is that really the sum of life for many people?

yes - i think it is, its not a bad thing, if you love your job, your children, your partner, dining in & out & get a good nights sleep - whats wrong with that? pretty good life, problems arise when thats not enough imo
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

buttercup;449955 wrote: yes - i think it is, its not a bad thing, if you love your job, your children, your partner, dining in & out & get a good nights sleep - whats wrong with that? pretty good life, problems arise when thats not enough imo

perhaps if we add "play" into the list then it becomes ideal?

I'm really disappointed no one wanted to debate Hamlet's suicidal tendancies with me.
buttercup

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by buttercup »

Absolutely :-4

of course for many koan just being with partner & kids doing the day to day school run & maybe the pictures or carnival on saturday night is enough, its contentment :-6
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

I've considered joining a Mennonite or Amish community before but the religious aspect held me back from asking them about it. I think I just want to travel by horse.
buttercup

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by buttercup »

i could see you doing something like this koan :-6

http://www.r4e.org/thedocumentarynew.htm
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

buttercup;449976 wrote: i could see you doing something like this koan :-6

http://www.r4e.org/thedocumentarynew.htm

Very neat idea. I didn't like the look of the snow...but if they get to meet the Dalai Lama I might consider it. :D
spot

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by spot »

buttercup;449955 wrote: yes - i think it is, its not a bad thing, if you love your job, your children, your partner, dining in & out & get a good nights sleep - whats wrong with that? pretty good life, problems arise when thats not enough imoBirth, and copulation, and death. That's all the facts when you come to brass tacks; Birth and copulation and death. I’ve been born, and once is enough.

T S Eliot, "Sweeney Agonistes"
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by koan »

It's a veritable breeding ground, I tell you.
Bored_Wombat

To Be Or Not To Be...

Post by Bored_Wombat »

koan;449831 wrote: What are the relations of culture to common life, of the scholar to the day-laborer? What is the value of this vast accumulation of higher learning, what is its point of contact with the mass of humanity, that toils and eats and sleeps and reproduces itself and dies, generation after generation, in an unvarying round, on an unvarying level?

:wah:

obviously written by an intellectual

in this case:

WHAT IS YOUR CULTURE TO ME?

By Charles Dudley Warner

1829-1900: The world was more classed then. No trade unions.

Trade unions are surprisingly good.

No, really, they are.

Return to “Philosophy”