What's wrong with atheism?

guppy

Post by guppy »

Diuretic;454606 wrote: We have a "what's wrong with religion" thread over there in the religious section but it didn't seem appropriate to discuss this there so here it is. I hope there isn't a move to kick it out of the philosophy section.

Okay, what's wrong with atheism? Not a lot in my view. Well, nothing really. Being an atheist takes a bit of work though, it's not for those with closed minds. You won't find self-serving ideas in atheistic thought, sometimes you just have to tell yourself that you don't have the answers and most likely will never have the answers, to the Big Questions. Still, I'd sooner wonder than fall back on fairy stories. And religion for me is a bunch of fairy stories. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's my point of view - which I am quite ready to defend :)

i love your signature !!!:)
coberst

Post by coberst »

I think that to say I believe in God is rationally vacant.

I think that to say I believe there is no God is rationally vacant.

To say I know there is a God is irrational.

To say I know there is no God is irrational.

I find that most individuals who profess to be atheist is really just anti-theist.

I am an agnostic.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I don't think I'll be of much help here as I'm not one for philosophy. It makes my head hurt. :o I personally don't feel there *is* anything "wrong" with atheism. In itself it's just another belief system. I'm not a christian and don't subscribe to the bible or other books but I have a faith system mapped out that works for me personally. I too, think a lot of religion is based in fairy tale or at least huge metaphor. No harm meant to those who believe. It wouldn't work for me and the only thing I wonder about is how the atheist makes it through all the crap in life without faith in something...? Maybe an atheist here could answer that question for me...? :)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;454606 wrote: Being an atheist takes a bit of work though, it's not for those with closed minds.
Huh?? It's absolutely for closed minds. It's closed-minded by definition. Oh, there are prats, blindered, and closed minds on all sides of this issue. Leave no doubt about that.

Unfortunately, I won't be much help in getting this conversation going, because I don't feel a need to defend my beliefs and don't see intellectual argument as a way to sway spiritual belief; but there are plenty here champing at the bit.

Ya'll have fun. I'm gonna sit in a corner and watch for awhile.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Accountable;454704 wrote: champing at the bit.

This is not said enough!

It's like someone 'doffing their cap' there's not enough champing and not enough doffing in this world.

I vote for active doffing and champing.

I think that a lot of people who call themselves atheists don't really understand the true meaning.....similarly those that call themselves agnostic.

I prod and poke at my beliefs regularly, and enter into spirited debate with friends whenever I can get them in and lock the door! I don't deny the possibility of ultimate knowledge but I have yet to meet or read anyone who has convinced me of this.....

It's all very subjective really.
koan

Post by koan »

coberst;454660 wrote: I think that to say I believe in God is rationally vacant.

I find that most individuals who profess to be atheist is really just anti-theist.

I am an agnostic.

Could you define your use of "rational" here? To me, it is not the conclusion that should be judged, it is the process. Someone can follow a rational process and end up with an incorrect conclusion. For you to declare something rationally vacant requires knowledge of the way the belief was acquired.
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Nothing wrong atheism at all. I would simply suggest the atheist have an open mind..

Metaphysics and religion are all about coming up with symbols and concepts for "things" we are incapable of understanding anywho I think..
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
weber

Post by weber »

Did you ever take close notice that atheism the word is made up of the word theism except for one small little teeny tiny "a".

I never thought about that until now. The two opposite words are almost exactly the same.:-3 If I had more time I would try to expand on that.
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
coberst

Post by coberst »

koan;454758 wrote: Could you define your use of "rational" here? To me, it is not the conclusion that should be judged, it is the process. Someone can follow a rational process and end up with an incorrect conclusion. For you to declare something rationally vacant requires knowledge of the way the belief was acquired.

To be rational is to think in a manner which is coherent with the principles of reason. The best source of these principles, I guess, is Aristotle's Logic. I think these principles form the base of Logic 101 as is taught in college by the philosophy dept. I suspect these principles are not part of the public school program. At least it wasn't when I was in school and I see no indication of that having changed to a great extent.

I would say that something is rationally vacant if it is something that does not abide by the principles of reasoned thought.
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

When "non-theism" becomes the official stance of governments it leads to oppression and brutalilty. Rigid atheism is every bit as dangerous (more so, I would argue) than religion. Atheist dictators have murdered tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions - Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Kim Jong Il, etc. while banning religous practice under penalty of imprisonment or death.

Not all atheists are close-minded but many are. Atheism as practiced by the secular progressives in the U.S. is dogmatic and intolerant as they seek to force communities and individuals to bend to and live by their "non-theological" viewpoint (Soledad Memorial Cross in California is a prime example). That's what's wrong with atheism.
spot

Post by spot »

There's an article at http://www.christiantoday.com/article/a ... 8280-2.htm discussing the Anglican and Roman perspective on atheism, which came out yesterday, in which Dr Williams and Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor argue:“Many secularist commentators argue that the growing role of faith in society represents a dangerous development. However, they fail to recognise that public atheism is itself an intolerant faith position.

“If we pay attention to what is actually happening in the United Kingdom and beyond, we will see that religiously inspired public engagement need not be sectarian and can, in fact, be radically inclusive. This report argues that faith is not just important for human flourishing and the renewal of society but that society can only flourish if faith is given space to makes its contribution and its challenge.”

The Theos report attacks institutional atheism and argues against consigning faith to the private sphere. It claims that religion will play an increasingly significant role in the UK due to three trends: the return of civil society; the pursuit of happiness; the politics of identity.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;456007 wrote: But isn't this an attempt at keeping religion out of government? I know the principle is "no state religion" but a good way of achieving that objective is to ensure religion doesn't permeate government and one day you wake up to a theocracy.

Dogma is dogma, and when it becomes intolerant ............. That dogma don't hunt! :cool:
gmc

Post by gmc »

coberst;454660 wrote: I think that to say I believe in God is rationally vacant.

I am an agnostic.

Just for a change I find myself in total agreement with something you've posted.

belief or non belief in a god is a matter of faith which you either have or you don't.

posted by weber

Did you ever take close notice that atheism the word is made up of the word theism except for one small little teeny tiny "a".

I never thought about that until now. The two opposite words are almost exactly the same. If I had more time I would try to expand on that.

a when used before a word like that means without-amoral means without morals, atheist means without god, asexual means without sex, anaemia means without blood.

Chambers Reference Online

a-2 or (before a vowel, and in scientific compounds before h) an- prefix, signifying not; without; opposite to • amoral • ahistorical • anaemia • anhydrous.

ETYMOLOGY: Greek.

posted by adamzapple

When "non-theism" becomes the official stance of governments it leads to oppression and brutalilty. Rigid atheism is every bit as dangerous (more so, I would argue) than religion. Atheist dictators have murdered tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions - Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Kim Jong Il, etc. while banning religous practice under penalty of imprisonment or death.

Not all atheists are close-minded but many are. Atheism as practiced by the secular progressives in the U.S. is dogmatic and intolerant as they seek to force communities and individuals to bend to and live by their "non-theological" viewpoint (Soledad Memorial Cross in California is a prime example). That's what's wrong with atheism.

maybe both extremes atttract the same kind of mentality. it's the same thing that's wrong with religon. Both are dangerous to those who would be tolerant of others but at least aetheists don't kid themselves that god is on their side so it's OK. One of the features of the 20th century is the ability to kill millions rather than thousands. You don't have to look very hard to find plenty of atrocities commited in the name of one religon or another and christianiity is just as bad as any of the others, if the Roman church or the protestants had had napalm they would have used it with equal glee on the enemies of god.

In the UK we have just commemorated the ceremonial burning of a catholic, poetic justice in a way since the catholics were pretty keen on burning heretics given half a chance. I don't know about the states but in the UK any attempt by religious leaders (in some parts of the country anyway) to exert their influence rapidly becomes a sectarian issue. Religon can be extremely divisive, especially in the united kingdom. it should be kept away from the schools and seperate faith based education is imo a very bad thing to allow. I don't mean ban religon but rather concentrate on the tolerance of others bit. Tolerance means you put up with things you may sometimes disagree with.

We have the ludicrous situation where a mixed faith school catholic/protestant ran in to problems because despite sharing the same classes the catholics wanted wanted seperate dooors for catholic pupils to enter the schools. It's very hard to take the pronouncements of religious leaders seriously when they come out with daft things like that.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/faithsc ... 43,00.html

I get the impression the "debate" about religon in the states is a whole different ball game from here or indeed most of europe. i.e attitudes are more polarised.

Religious leaders are entitled to express their opinion and their followers can do what they want. But when they start to believe that they should be allowed a say in the way non believers live their lives and feel they are entitled to condemn those who don't share their view and want laws changed to suit their beliefs they are starting to try and impose their belief system on others. No one is forcing them to get divorced if they don't want to, or have sex before marraige ior whatever their issues of the day may be but the delusion they have some kind of higher moral right is just that and nothing more.

posted by red glitter

In itself it's just another belief system.

No offence but that it is not. How can you have a belief system about something you belief does not exist? It's absurd.

posted by spot

Many secularist commentators argue that the growing role of faith in society represents a dangerous development. However, they fail to recognise that public atheism is itself an intolerant faith position.

It's a subtle sophism on the part of some religious leaders to try and suggest that secularism and atheism are one and the same thing. They are not. Many who prefer a secular society to live in are deeply religious but recognise that a secular society is by and large a more tolerant one than a religious one. Monotheism and tolerance of other beleifs are mutually exclusive.

posted by accountable

Unfortunately, I won't be much help in getting this conversation going, because I don't feel a need to defend my beliefs and don't see intellectual argument as a way to sway spiritual belief; but there are plenty here champing at the bit.

Good for you. I don't see why you need to defend your beliefs either. Can't say I share any of them but I don't feel threatened by them either. maybe there should be a what's "wrong with arguing about religon all the time the TV is rubbish anyway" thread.:yh_rotfl

Maybe if muslims could get drunk occasionally they wouldn't take their religon so seriously. Hard to be a fundamentalist when you're paralytic.

I don't know about god but I do believe in the cosmic comedian and the main tenet of his belief system. "lifes a joke we just don't know the punchline" You don't have to go to church or anything but each day you must laugh at least once and understand the concept of irony.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

gmc;456050 wrote:

posted by red glitter

No offence but that it is not. How can you have a belief system about something you belief does not exist? It's absurd.

Nothing absurd about it. If you believe there is no god then that's a part of your belief system. It's not complicated. Belief doesn't necessarily equate with being religious.
koan

Post by koan »

coberst;455730 wrote: To be rational is to think in a manner which is coherent with the principles of reason. The best source of these principles, I guess, is Aristotle's Logic. I think these principles form the base of Logic 101 as is taught in college by the philosophy dept. I suspect these principles are not part of the public school program. At least it wasn't when I was in school and I see no indication of that having changed to a great extent.

I would say that something is rationally vacant if it is something that does not abide by the principles of reasoned thought.

Leaving aside what school I may or may not have attended (I'm unsure as to the rationality of your having included that :) ) I maintain: your assessment of a belief or lack of belief in God speaks only of the conclusion. You would need to hear a person's string of logic that resulted in their statement of belief in order to assess whether they used logic or not.

you say yourself that it must abide by the principles of reasoned thought. The use of reason here is the process which you need to discover before you can call the conclusion vacant or not. I'm repeating myself since they teach people to do that in the public schools when trying to make a point clear.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Diuretic;456075 wrote: At the risk of being accused of pedantry - isn't "dogma" a religious concept?

And is it the root word for "dogmatic"?

(Nice pun by the way :D )
Here's the definition.

The one I thought fit best in this thread was:

An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true.

To not believe is fine. To believe not is likewise fine. To condemn for believing ......... that's not fine.

Oh, and thanks, I worked hard on that pun. :)
spot

Post by spot »

coberst;455730 wrote: To be rational is to think in a manner which is coherent with the principles of reason. The best source of these principles, I guess, is Aristotle's Logic. I think these principles form the base of Logic 101 as is taught in college by the philosophy dept. I suspect these principles are not part of the public school program. At least it wasn't when I was in school and I see no indication of that having changed to a great extent.

I would say that something is rationally vacant if it is something that does not abide by the principles of reasoned thought.And yet Aristotle applied this same logic and found by reason that God exists, rather than the reverse. At the risk of boring the thread, I'll quote his conclusion...It is a life such as the best which we enjoy, and enjoy for but a short time (for it is ever in this state, which we cannot be), since its actuality is also pleasure. (And for this reason are waking, perception, and thinking most pleasant, and hopes and memories are so on account of these.)

And thinking in itself deals with that which is best in itself, and that which is thinking in the fullest sense with that which is best in the fullest sense. And thought thinks on itself because it shares the nature of the object of thought; for it becomes an object of thought in coming into contact with and thinking its objects, so that thought and object of thought are the same.

For that which is capable of receiving the object of thought, i.e. the essence, is thought. But it is active when it possesses this object. Therefore the possession rather than the receptivity is the divine element which thought seems to contain, and the act of contemplation is what is most pleasant and best.

If, then, God is always in that good state in which we sometimes are, this compels our wonder; and if in a better this compels it yet more. And God is in a better state. And life also belongs to God; for the actuality of thought is life, and God is that actuality; and God’s self-dependent actuality is life most good and eternal.

We say therefore that God is a living being, eternal, most good, so that life and duration continuous and eternal belong to God; for this is God.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
weber

Post by weber »

gmc wrote: In the UK we have just commemorated the ceremonial burning of a catholic, poetic justice in a way since the catholics were pretty keen on burning heretics given half a chance.

I can't see that there is any progress or learning or growing by repeating (ceremonially or otherwise) the gross acts of others.:confused: Must have been reading that bible and found and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.:D

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

weber

Post by weber »

Diuretic;456085 wrote: Eye for eye, tooth for tooth - I know how we use the phrase now but I think it originally meant, in Hebraic law, that punishment had to be proportional to the crrime and not disproportionate, ie that one eye for one eye, not two eyes for one eye. Anyway I think that's how it goes.

Now, to Aristotle and God. Spot I don't see Aristotle's argument for the existence of God in that quote. Note, I am not bagging Aristotle, just revealing my own ignorance.

Looks to me like you burn somebody, we burn you. If we all followed that principle, we'd all soon be dead. Start with burning the Catholics cuz they burned people. Keep going up the ladder and we are all gone.

There's nothing wrong with atheism or any belief as long as those beliefs aren't imposed on others.

koan

Post by koan »

Diuretic;456085 wrote: Eye for eye, tooth for tooth - I know how we use the phrase now but I think it originally meant, in Hebraic law, that punishment had to be proportional to the crrime and not disproportionate, ie that one eye for one eye, not two eyes for one eye. Anyway I think that's how it goes.

Now, to Aristotle and God. Spot I don't see Aristotle's argument for the existence of God in that quote. Note, I am not bagging Aristotle, just revealing my own ignorance.

Well done. People misuse that saying all the time.

As to Aristotle, it seems to be in the final statement "for this is God". That would be my guess, anyway.
spot

Post by spot »

Diuretic;456085 wrote: Now, to Aristotle and God. Spot I don't see Aristotle's argument for the existence of God in that quote. Note, I am not bagging Aristotle, just revealing my own ignorance.I can only suggest that, as I have just done, you re-read it.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Being someone who is scientifically trained I suppose many people would presume that I am predisposed to athesim though in fact I am not, as I find that the wonder of nature is not something that cn be explained without some aknowledgement of the divnine. However I am certainly not religous in the normal sense and I think that most normal world relgions are products of human vanity where people cannot seem to grasp that perhaps everything we know does not just exist only so that human beings can be here, or that we are some endpoint of a development of life based on the image of god, who it seems spends an inordinate amount of time worrying about our , sexual choices etc. etc etc.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'm not going to say that anything is wrong with atheism, much in the same that I wouldn't say anything is wrong with religion(when it's practiced with the same amount of rational thought comparative to an atheist's choice not to act irrational given their philosophy of "No supreme judgement").

I will say however, in my experience, I see a great deal of more humanitarian aid and more of an overall effort associated with contributions to those who need it most within religious organizations. I don't see atheist groups getting together and doing that.
telephoto lens

Post by telephoto lens »

The only thing I have against atheism is when it becomes a religion with all the dogmatic trappings. When the mystery and wonder of the world becomes ritualized and systemized, I think the whole ball of wax becomes pretty boring. More than one occassion I have been called a heretic (this word was derived from a greek word that means 'to think for oneself') and though I consider myself an atheist when it comes to organized religions - they totally bore me, if it works for others, then more power to you. But to this day I don't understand why you need to go to church to worship a religion. It must be the additional social element and this way it is easy to introduce religious values to children in a group setting.

Sure, atheistic rulers have killed millions but what about false christians like George W. Bush who have killed hundreds of thousands? Or the crusades? Or all the leaders in WW1 who believed in god - the Ottoman Empire, the British Empire, The Romanovs, The Kaisers, The Austro Hungarian Empire, America, France......... No, there is blood on everyones hands and as I have read in texts about criminality, there is an equal amount of criminal deviance in every group. Basically it comes down to this: when one group of people with similar values (whatever they are) finds a reason to rape and pillage another group of people for their land and resources, then they will do so. The advantage that both atheistic and non-atheistic rulers had in the 20th century was the mechanistic nature of modern warefare. By applying the industrial revolution to mass 'ethnic cleansing' if you will, people now have the capability to kill like Henry Ford made cars: in a 'production line' matter. And do you know where old Henry got the idea for the assembly line? After he visited the slaughterhouses in Chicago and observed the systematic production-line processes.

Seems appropriate doesn't it? They start by killing animals......
gmc

Post by gmc »

RedGlitter;456063 wrote: Nothing absurd about it. If you believe there is no god then that's a part of your belief system. It's not complicated. Belief doesn't necessarily equate with being religious.

If you believe in god then you also have a belief system or ways of worshipping built up around that belief. articles of faith that govern your life. Faith or belief system . If you don't believe in god then you don't have a belief system or faith because you don't need it. Aetheism is not some kind of alternative religon however much religious groups would like to think it is. It is a rejection of blind faith in a creator that controls all things. I don't think you can describe atheism as a belief system. But it's a moot point probably not worth arguing about.

posted by weber

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc

In the UK we have just commemorated the ceremonial burning of a catholic, poetic justice in a way since the catholics were pretty keen on burning heretics given half a chance.

I can't see that there is any progress or learning or growing by repeating (ceremonially or otherwise) the gross acts of others. Must have been reading that bible and found and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

My apologies. we take it so much for granted but i forgot there is no reason why you as an american would know the significance of guy fawkes. It was in response to adamzapple comment on how non-theism can lead to opression and britality. At the time of guy fawkes catholics and protestants were at each others throats to determine which version of christianity was the right one. Catholics and protestants were taking turn about slaughtering each other. Religious wars are some of the most brutal in history with some of the most appaling acts justified all in the name of god.

He hoped by blowing up parliament the cartholics would rise and be able to reimpose their religon. Both catholics and protestants now join in the festivities, ironic when you consider the origins of it all. That kind of sectarian hatred still lurks just below the surface ready to come to the fore again.

Posted by K .snyder

I don't see atheist groups getting together and doing that

I don't get this. What atheist groups?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

gmc;456900 wrote:

Posted by K .snyder

I don't get this. What atheist groups?

Exactly.
24Hours

Post by 24Hours »

One of the more interesting aspects of the whole "Is there a God" debate revolves around something I (and all humans I believe) have a problem coming to terms with - which is, that we can't handle the concept of NO BEGINNING. How can something, anything, everything, not have had a start? How could something - like the Universe, just "always have been?" Often, people apply that notion to the Universe as evidence in their minds that there must be a God. In other words, it seems virtually impossible that the Universe just had always been, or that the matter that constitutes the Universe had just always been. So, they assign a Creator to it.

But then I often see hypocrisy - they refuse to apply that logic to God. They simply accept that God COULD HAVE "always been."

The real problem with the whole origin of the universe and God debate is that it rests upon something our LIMITED HUMAN MINDS simply can't grasp - which is, the concept of an infinite past - a NO BEGINNING.

I'm agnostic, because to be intellectual honest with myself, I have to acknowledge that I do not know if there is a God. I also believe no one else can know and I do not believe that ancient text or established religious organizations or lots of people believing serves as evidence.

I think my agnostic position on things centers around the fact that I can't handle the concept of NO BEGINNING - whether we are talking about God or not. How could a God just have always been? Existing when there was nothing? You mean it just magically and for no reason existed? No start, never had an origin?

To me, believing in God means believing in NO BEGINNING. How can one believe in NO BEGINNING? I don't believe humans are capable of it, and are being dishonest or putting their heads in the sand when they say that they do. I can't embrace that there is a God, in part, because I can't get my arms around the concept of A God just always was. The very concept of God is beyond humans in my opinion, so when people say they believe in God to me they are saying they are buying the best solution they've learned of as to our meaning and purpose in the Universe. It's basically a position that says "it was magic and someone loves us."

My general view is that when people debate the subjects of things we can't handle, such as an infinite God, their position is based upon emotions. Your needs, your childhood, your training, your parents, your environment, your experiences - your emotional framework. That's why I believe a belief in God or what you believe about God is really just a reflection of your emotional framework, or a byproduct of a species as self-aware as we have become through evolution. The most important thing to all of us, after all, is to survive. And there's only one way to do that long-term: life after death. As part of that survival, there are few things more instinctive and needed by people than the comfort of having answers, labeling, knowing. You can only get satisfaction on things you can't have answers for if you are willing to accept something "magical" like a God.

By virtue of the fact that I can shop and pick from various Organized Religions tells me none are the right one. I also don't buy that God wrote a book, especially a slave-condoning archaic mess that experts who spend a lifetime studying can't agree upon.

I just believe what I know, which is why I'm agnostic. I'm not a bad person, I'm open, I'm wanting a life after death. If there's a God, he would have known this mess seems crazy to me and he certainly would have known how obviously man-inspired and man-made the Organized Religions and their scriptures appear to me. He knows how obvious it is to me that people are fragile, want to live forever, and get conditioned and are practically born into their religions. So, he would have known how unimpressed I would be by the "success" of religion. He knows I see it as a predictable, inevitable byproduct of a species aware of its own mortality that wants answers.

Surely if there is a God, especially one interested in giving me a rulebook, he would have gotten the message to me in a way that doesn't make me feel like I have to be crazy to accept it. Come on God, you can do a little better than letting me watch half the world cut eachother up and starve to death, with bad guys thriving and little girls tortured, and things like rod-beating guidelines for purchased child-slaves in the Bible.

- Frank
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Diuretic;455417 wrote: Yes weber. I always thought the word was a synonym for "non-theism". I'm not a language expert but it sort of reminds me of the word "amoral" meaning "not oral". So a-theism for me means, non-theism, meaning not religious.

I think you'll find that a theist is someone who believes in a God (whichever God that my be) and therefore an Athiest is someone who believes in No-God. The word for someone who is not religious is Agnostic - someone who has no knowledge of God.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;457195 wrote: I think you'll find that a theist is someone who believes in a God (whichever God that my be) and therefore an Athiest is someone who believes in No-God. The word for someone who is not religious is Agnostic - someone who has no knowledge of God.

not being pedantic or anything but

agnostic noun someone who believes that one can know only about material things and so believes that nothing can be known about the existence of God. adj relating to this view. agnosticism noun. Compare atheism, theism, deism.

ETYMOLOGY: 19c, coined by T H Huxley: from Greek agnostos not known or not knowable.

agnostic

n

unbeliever, sceptic, doubter colloq. doubting Thomas
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;458259 wrote: not being pedantic or anything butI think I'd like to at least include the OED definition with examples, if we're tying the word down tightly:One who holds that the existence of anything beyond and behind material phenomena is unknown and (so far as can be judged) unknowable, and especially that a First Cause and an unseen world are subjects of which we know nothing.

[Suggested by Prof. Huxley at a party held previous to the formation of the now defunct Metaphysical Society, at Mr. James Knowles's house on Clapham Common, one evening in 1869, in my hearing. He took it from St. Paul's mention of the altar to ‘the Unknown God.’R. H. H UTTON in letter 13 Mar. 1881.]

1870 Spect. 29 Jan. 135 In theory he [Prof. Huxley] is a great and even severe Agnostic, who goes about exhorting all men to know how little they know.

1874 MIVART Ess. Relig. etc. 205 Our modern Sophists "the Agnostics", those who deny we have any knowledge, save of phenomena.

1876 Spect. 11 June, Nicknames are given by opponents, but Agnostic was the name demanded by Professor Huxley for those who disclaimed atheism, and believed with him in an ‘unknown and unknowable’ God; or in other words that the ultimate origin of all things must be some cause unknown and unknowable.

1880 BP. FRASER in Manch. Guardn. 25 Nov., The Agnostic neither denied nor affirmed God. He simply put Him on one side.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

RedGlitter;454684 wrote: I don't think I'll be of much help here as I'm not one for philosophy. It makes my head hurt. :o I personally don't feel there *is* anything "wrong" with atheism. In itself it's just another belief system. I'm not a christian and don't subscribe to the bible or other books but I have a faith system mapped out that works for me personally. I too, think a lot of religion is based in fairy tale or at least huge metaphor. No harm meant to those who believe. It wouldn't work for me and the only thing I wonder about is how the atheist makes it through all the crap in life without faith in something...? Maybe an atheist here could answer that question for me...? :)

It isn't that I don't have a faith in something..............maybe I have a faith in all religions....or no faith in anything but Carl Jung.............collective unconscience............all the great religious leaders are to meet us there.

When you believe in all ....you believe in nothing because beliving in that makes your soul. If you look at all religions and no religions........where can you believe.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;458276 wrote: I think I'd like to at least include the OED definition with examples, if we're tying the word down tightly:One who holds that the existence of anything beyond and behind material phenomena is unknown and (so far as can be judged) unknowable, and especially that a First Cause and an unseen world are subjects of which we know nothing.

[Suggested by Prof. Huxley at a party held previous to the formation of the now defunct Metaphysical Society, at Mr. James Knowles's house on Clapham Common, one evening in 1869, in my hearing. He took it from St. Paul's mention of the altar to ‘the Unknown God.’R. H. H UTTON in letter 13 Mar. 1881.]

1870 Spect. 29 Jan. 135 In theory he [Prof. Huxley] is a great and even severe Agnostic, who goes about exhorting all men to know how little they know.

1874 MIVART Ess. Relig. etc. 205 Our modern Sophists "the Agnostics", those who deny we have any knowledge, save of phenomena.

1876 Spect. 11 June, Nicknames are given by opponents, but Agnostic was the name demanded by Professor Huxley for those who disclaimed atheism, and believed with him in an ‘unknown and unknowable’ God; or in other words that the ultimate origin of all things must be some cause unknown and unknowable.

1880 BP. FRASER in Manch. Guardn. 25 Nov., The Agnostic neither denied nor affirmed God. He simply put Him on one side.

I would go along with that up to a point. It was Bryn mawr's words I objected to.

The word for someone who is not religious is Agnostic - someone who has no knowledge of God.

Someone who argues we just don't know is a bit different from someone who has no knowledge of god. To me that rather implies that god exists it's simply that agnostics don't know it yet. Next thing you know all the religious fanatics will be out trying to convert everybody to belief in their own demented ideologies with the atheists as a kind of chorus in the background shouting rubbish he doesn't exist.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;458813 wrote: I would go along with that up to a point. It was Bryn mawr's words I objected to.

Someone who argues we just don't know is a bit different from someone who has no knowledge of god. To me that rather implies that god exists it's simply that agnostics don't know it yet. Next thing you know all the religious fanatics will be out trying to convert everybody to belief in their own demented ideologies with the atheists as a kind of chorus in the background shouting rubbish he doesn't exist.

I'm not sure our definitions actually contradicted each other.

Bryn Mawr wrote: The word for someone who is not religious is Agnostic - someone who has no knowledge of God.

gmc wrote: agnostic noun someone who believes that one can know only about material things and so believes that nothing can be known about the existence of God. adj relating to this view. agnosticism noun. Compare atheism, theism, deism.

ETYMOLOGY: 19c, coined by T H Huxley: from Greek agnostos not known or not knowable.

Someone who believes that nothing can be known about God has, surely, no knowledge of God.

What I was trying to say, in my poor phrasing, was that an Agnostic is someone who does not know that God exists and does not know that he does not exist (has no knowledge one way or the other). Whilst (s)he may well be interested in religion, (s)he is not religious.

It no more implies that God exists than it implies that God does not exist - just that the Agnostic does not know one way or the other.

My definition is passive whilst yours is active but do not appear to differ too greatly.
FlatBlob

Post by FlatBlob »

In my view, noone should be atheist, but not for the regular reasons. of you don't believe in a god/goddess, then why not take all the way to worshipping the Flying Spaggheti montster and join me in pastafarianism?:wah:
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Diuretic;454606 wrote: We have a "what's wrong with religion" thread over there in the religious section but it didn't seem appropriate to discuss this there so here it is. I hope there isn't a move to kick it out of the philosophy section.

Okay, what's wrong with atheism? Not a lot in my view. Well, nothing really. Being an atheist takes a bit of work though, it's not for those with closed minds. You won't find self-serving ideas in atheistic thought, sometimes you just have to tell yourself that you don't have the answers and most likely will never have the answers, to the Big Questions. Still, I'd sooner wonder than fall back on fairy stories. And religion for me is a bunch of fairy stories. Sorry if that offends anyone but it's my point of view - which I am quite ready to defend :)

Because it's the work of the devil, and you're going straight to hell for even mentioning it. Pat Robertson told me so.

Sorry, it's close to turkey time here, and my blood sugar's crashing. I'm no longer responsible for my posts.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;466699 wrote: I'm not sure our definitions actually contradicted each other.

Someone who believes that nothing can be known about God has, surely, no knowledge of God.

What I was trying to say, in my poor phrasing, was that an Agnostic is someone who does not know that God exists and does not know that he does not exist (has no knowledge one way or the other). Whilst (s)he may well be interested in religion, (s)he is not religious.

It no more implies that God exists than it implies that God does not exist - just that the Agnostic does not know one way or the other.

My definition is passive whilst yours is active but do not appear to differ too greatly.

I think basically we do agree. An agnostic is soneone who says you can't know either way.

I object to the wording as it rather predicates god does exist but you have no knowledge of him.

The number of times you end up with this logic loop in discussion with some religious people that goes round something like -you don't know about god because you have not studied the bible, if you did you would be a believer, if you have studied and don't believe then you haven't studied properly and didn't understand. You are an unbeliever because you have no knowledge of god.

The very concept that you might have actually given the matter some thought freaks them out.

On the other hand an aetheist would argue you have no knowledge of god because he does not exist. You can't be an unbeliever because you can't not believe in something that does not exist.

The very idea that yo might have given the matter somethoght and regard aetheism as just as irrational a belief as monotheism freaks them out.

Whereas an agnostic would argue you just don't know. You get all sides trting to club you in to submission so you agree with them.

What is wrong with aetheism is the same thing that is wrong with relgon. Fundamntalists opf all types just cannot acept that some do not believe as they do and feel compelled top ramtheir beliefs down everybody elses throat. Either by force when they have the authority or by more subtle social control when they don't.

Return to “Philosophy”