Wal-Mart at Mexico Ruins Sparks Protest

Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

TEOTIHUACAN, Mexico (Reuters) - Burning incense and sounding a conch shell horn, residents of an ancient Mexican city protested on Saturday at the construction of a Wal-Mart store on the edge of the ruins.

You can find more here:

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/sto ... TR&coview=
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

I was wondering how to respond to this eloquently. The article does a fine enough job as it is:

Opponents say it will ruin a way of life that dates back centuries and have taken legal action to stop it, in a fight that gives a grand dimension to the classic battle between big business and small-town values.

"What they are doing in Teotihuacan is destroying Mexico's deepest roots for short-term interests like lower prices,"

"This is the flag of conquest by global interests, the symbol of the destruction of our culture."

"I support the store, it will save me time and money," said Camilo Olivas, a father of four who works for the federal electricity commission in Teotihuacan.

He drives 10 minutes every two weeks to shop at a Wal-Mart store in another town to find low prices.

What? There is already another Wal-Mart just 10 minutes away?

But a handful of opponents say Wal-Mart will kill local family-owned enterprises and erode a lifestyle dating back centuries, while sucking income from locals.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Societal Issues News”