A news flash for bar owners:

Discuss cruiser bikes, the lifestyle, clubs, and other issues.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Geeze, I've got a lot to yak about today!

This is something that I have been seeing more and more frequently, and it needs to STOP.

I have been a bartender for over 15 years, up until my recent crash. It was a tough, but well-paying job. My favorite customers? Bikers, of course. But probably for reasons you don't think. These guys are FUN, first of all, and when you can have that much fun at work, it matters. Respectful? With very few exceptions. The problem? Ignorant bar owners and managers who think these people are bad for their business and refuse service to them. I have only ever worked here in Michigan, but EVERY bar I worked in had this prejudice. My last one holds a good story:

My husband, a professional man who worked for one of the Big 3, came into the bar on his way to work, dressed in his professional manner, and ordered a Pepsi and a hamburger, and took out his book to read.

My boss walked out and asked him to come talk to her, (the senile, 83-year old bag) and they moved to a table. About 45 seconds later Bullet stormed out, ripping down the sign that read, "No colors allowed." When I got home that night he told me the story of how she told him she didn't want "his kind" in HER bar, and she didn't need his money.

I was insensed. I went to work the next day and asked her to please clarify for me what Bullet's "kind" was, and what was wrong with the color of his money. She gave me a load of crap that was deeper than I could tolerate, especially when we had been customers for, literally, YEARS. I quit the next day.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I have the PROFESSIONAL opinion that bikers are some of the biggest spending customers any bar could ever hope to have. And tipping? Outrageous amounts. I would commonly have tabs that I would get 40 and 50% tips on. And my other customers had huge amounts of respect for all the bikers that came to see me and they enjoyed their company as well.

So...if you do or might own or manage a bar, do all of us a favor and try to get to KNOW a few of these people before you propegate the prejudice. You just might find out that they are worthy PEOPLE as well as customers. Between that and how entirely safe I always felt when I had this company while I worked a bar ALONE that sat 120 people. well....GET A CLUE!!!! And make yourself and your bartenders some real money, and don't annoy the local club.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Good deal, BabyRider.

I would imagine this lady's age had a bit to do with it, but that doesn't explain far younger bartenders/owners who have the same attitude. I think people tend to judge on the "rough" image they often see. I'm not well versed in biker culture at all but I do have enough sense to know that the clothes serve a purpose. There are reasons bikers wear a lot of denim and leather, aside from they like the look; roadrash would be one of them. :thinking:

The other stuff nonbikers complain about like languuage and loudness is unfair because you can get that from all kinds of people, it's not peculiar to bikers.

I see why you and Bullet were incensed. I agree with you.

I had previously mentioned Biker Week out here. We have the Laughlin River Run. Have you ever been in that one, BR? Anyway, the bikers collect toys for kids and it's always a blast to see some big, burly, rough looking biker dude going down Hwy 95 with a big teddy bear strapped to the front of his bike. :D

I don't know firsthand how they tip out here, but I know they help out our local economy quite a bit. As for fights and stuff, they're usually the ones to end one, not to start one. In my experience anyway.

BR, have you thought about starting a thread for us nonbiker people to ask questions? Is there one and I don't know about it? I think it would be cool to learn more about biker culture. :)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I live down the street from a biker bar,..ironically there is another bar on the same street about 1/8th of a mile down the road(not very far considering there isn't another bar for miles).

Actually this post has made me curious as to why there are two bars so close together, and both have been in business for years. There are definitely different crowds that go into each.

Ive wanted to get a bike before, but after observing how dangerous they are I am really hesitant to get one. That, and I cannot afford one right now, but none the less I have been pondering the idea for the future...

If someone doesn't want to serve me simply because I ride a loud bike that's their problem, I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm one of the nicest persons anyone could ever meet, but if people want to judge me for my persona it's their loss not mine...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;493461 wrote:

Ive wanted to get a bike before, but after observing how dangerous they are I am really hesitant to get one.

I should say, how oblivious others can be to that of people who ride bikes considering that I can control my own destiny as far as responsibility is concerned.
Rain

Post by Rain »

In my early years I was a bartender too. We had a very diverse crowd. Oakland Raiders (back in the good old days of the late 70's) and old hippies, african americans, bikers, music ppl, office workers, jail birds... you name it. It was the funnest bar I ever worked at or played in. Good for you for taking that stand.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

RedGlitter;493457 wrote: Good deal, BabyRider.

I would imagine this lady's age had a bit to do with it, but that doesn't explain far younger bartenders/owners who have the same attitude. I think people tend to judge on the "rough" image they often see. I'm not well versed in biker culture at all but I do have enough sense to know that the clothes serve a purpose. There are reasons bikers wear a lot of denim and leather, aside from they like the look; roadrash would be one of them. :thinking:

The other stuff nonbikers complain about like languuage and loudness is unfair because you can get that from all kinds of people, it's not peculiar to bikers.

I see why you and Bullet were incensed. I agree with you.

I had previously mentioned Biker Week out here. We have the Laughlin River Run. Have you ever been in that one, BR? Anyway, the bikers collect toys for kids and it's always a blast to see some big, burly, rough looking biker dude going down Hwy 95 with a big teddy bear strapped to the front of his bike. :D

I don't know firsthand how they tip out here, but I know they help out our local economy quite a bit. As for fights and stuff, they're usually the ones to end one, not to start one. In my experience anyway.

BR, have you thought about starting a thread for us nonbiker people to ask questions? Is there one and I don't know about it? I think it would be cool to learn more about biker culture. :)
I have not been on that ride, but I know where to check for some good stories about it!

I would be very happy to try and answer any questions anyone has that I am able and allowed to answer. I think I tried doing something like this some months back, but maybe it didn't take of, I don't recall.

I will give some thought about a thread!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

K.Snyder;493461 wrote: I live down the street from a biker bar,..ironically there is another bar on the same street about 1/8th of a mile down the road(not very far considering there isn't another bar for miles).

Actually this post has made me curious as to why there are two bars so close together, and both have been in business for years. There are definitely different crowds that go into each.

Ive wanted to get a bike before, but after observing how dangerous they are I am really hesitant to get one. That, and I cannot afford one right now, but none the less I have been pondering the idea for the future...

If someone doesn't want to serve me simply because I ride a loud bike that's their problem, I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm one of the nicest persons anyone could ever meet, but if people want to judge me for my persona it's their loss not mine...
K, there are TONS of used bikes, and heck even new ones that are very reasonable. My Bullet's Honda was bought in the box and it cost less than 6,000 bucks. And as for dangerous, ddriving in a car or walking down the street is dangerous. There is a lot to learn about riding, and riding well, and you ALWAYS have to look out for the situationally stupid cagers, but still....LIFE is dangerous. Like anything else, be smart and ride defensively. I could hook you up with a place that always has bikes for sale if you do decide to go that way. Also, you don't want a starter bike to be brand-new anyway. I hope you check it out!
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Pinky;493467 wrote: That's the weird thing about it. People judge you by persona. I can gointo a shop after work in one of my suits, good pair of shoes/boots and get treated completely differently from when I go in on the weekend in goth boots, jeans, biker gear. Amazing!!! I don't act any different, I'm always polite.

K, you're one of the most nice, polite onliners I've ever met..I can't imagine anyone being snotty to you! Though it happens to me, so guess it happens to everyone.
You just reminded me of another story about a bar owner I met some time back....Pinkster, you'll like this story. Gimme a minute....
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Here ya go, Pinkster....how dumb was THIS guy??

This past summer, I went to a bar that again, Bullet and I had been in several times and I had friends that worked there. I was looking for work. I met with the owner, Paul, who I'd also known and hung out with many times. I was wearing my leather and he looks at it like he was looking at a steaming pile of cow dung and says, "What's THAT?" I looked at him sideways and asked, "What's WHAT?" He flicked the fringe on my coat and says, "This...you don't ride a.... MOTORCYCLE, do you?" I said that I did ride and what did that have to do with our current conversation? He explained how if he sees a bike in his lot, whoever is working gets FIRED. I laughed because I thought he was full of garbage. He looked at me in a way that showed he was deadly serious. I said, "So...no bikes?" At which point I pulled 700 bucks out of my pocket and said, "I guess I won't be wasting any of THIS here then....SEE YA!" Never set foot in that place again either.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Peg

Post by Peg »

It's just all so strange to me because all the bars around here welcome bikers, their poker runs, etc. Now when they all pull up to a funeral home, well, that's a different story.:wah:
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

And another thought: If anyone would like to check out an AMAZING old biker/artist, very talented, his name is David Mann, and here's his site:

http://www.davidmannart.com/
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

BabyRider;493515 wrote: And as for dangerous, ddriving in a car or walking down the street is dangerous. There is a lot to learn about riding, and riding well, and you ALWAYS have to look out for the situationally stupid cagers, but still....LIFE is dangerous. Like anything else, be smart and ride defensively.

From my own observation, I see way too many fatal accidents that could have been prevented if they were driving in a car, as opposed to on a motorcycle...most of which was not their fault, so considering that, I have to say, I am hesitant to trust those other idiots out there. Otherwise, I would love to own one.

BabyRider;493515 wrote:

I could hook you up with a place that always has bikes for sale if you do decide to go that way. Also, you don't want a starter bike to be brand-new anyway. I hope you check it out!

Thank you, I will look you up if/and, or when, I decide to get a bike...

Reminds me of the time I was illegally driving my brothers moped and I ran out of gas...I used a shop-vac to siphon gas out of my fathers pick-up truck because I didn't want to swallow gasoline...

I went up like a freakin tender-box...I was lucky I didn't burn myself to death...

apparently the static electrical shock that occurred from the time I flipped the switch off had ignited the gasoline inside of the shop-vac that I had not accounted for, as most of my knowledge of the filtering and emptying of the gas into the bike, was merely guess work...
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

K.Snyder;493564 wrote: From my own observation, I see way too many fatal accidents that could have been prevented if they were driving in a car, as opposed to on a motorcycle...most of which was not their fault, so considering that, I have to say, I am hesitant to trust those other idiots out there. Otherwise, I would love to own one.

K, I like you. And I'm going to be honest. If that's what's keeping you from riding, don't ever ride. The fear will keep you from doing it safely, no matter how much you try to be safe, and that's not good for anyone. Lack of trust in cagers is one thing. Fear is something else. There's nothing at all wrong with some healthy fear, not at all. But it WILL mess you up on the pavement.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

BabyRider;493585 wrote: K, I like you. And I'm going to be honest. If that's what's keeping you from riding, don't ever ride. The fear will keep you from doing it safely, no matter how much you try to be safe, and that's not good for anyone. Lack of trust in cagers is one thing. Fear is something else. There's nothing at all wrong with some healthy fear, not at all. But it WILL mess you up on the pavement.

Nah, I don't fear it,..

I just don't want it to happen. :wah:

I fear ignorance more than I fear wickedness.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

K.Snyder;493589 wrote: Nah, I don't fear it,..

I just don't want it to happen. :wah:

I fear ignorance more than I fear wickedness.
I don't know of any bikers who DO want it to happen!! :yh_bigsmi
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Something that scares me is how bikers even with their headlight on, are often difficult to see until they're right there. I don't drive but just as a passenger, I have noticed this. I can see where accidents can happen if someone doesn't pay the utmost attention. I think it's very frightening. :(
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

RedGlitter;493657 wrote: Something that scares me is how bikers even with their headlight on, are often difficult to see until they're right there. I don't drive but just as a passenger, I have noticed this. I can see where accidents can happen if someone doesn't pay the utmost attention. I think it's very frightening. :(
When put together right and maintained right, a scoots headlight should be just as easy to see as a car's 2. Headlights can "rattle" loose to a point. Mine did. 'Course the ride was 26 years old, but Bullet kept it in great running order and kept his eye on stuff like that, as I did.

This is also one of those "situationally stupid cager" deals. People just do NOT realize how many bikes are on the road with them and we are past and gone in a flash. It's one of the big reasons bikers like to say, "Loud pipes save lives." If you don't see us, you should be able to hear us.

PLEASE keep your eyes open, people, you share all KINDS of roads with us!! Give us the room and respect that YOU want!
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

dixie_angel_26

Post by dixie_angel_26 »

As a mother I fear every time that my husband gets on his bike and leaves, we both know that they are hard to see at night and I pray that he comes home safely, and as his wife I also get on that bike with him and know that there is an angle riding with us and pray for the best. All I can say If you care please don't gripe about the loud pipes cause they do save lives. I got on friend on the grave and one that rides on my left side every weekend, be loud and proud.:cool:
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

dixie_angel_26;498991 wrote: As a mother I fear every time that my husband gets on his bike and leaves, we both know that they are hard to see at night and I pray that he comes home safely, and as his wife I also get on that bike with him and know that there is an angle riding with us and pray for the best. All I can say If you care please don't gripe about the loud pipes cause they do save lives. I got on friend on the grave and one that rides on my left side every weekend, be loud and proud.:cool:
Amen to that, Dixie.

I was recently creamed by a drunk cager, but I WILL be back on my own. Never let fear keep you from riding, EVER. You can be killed as quick and easy in a cage or walking down the damn street. If it's how I die, I will die happy.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Mystery

Post by Mystery »

There's a local club here (for th elife of me, the name has went out of my head, but it'll come to me in a bit) in my Parish (county). These guys and gals raise more money through their poker runs and fund raisers than any other group around, and they do it for some of the most worthy causes. I don't see the reason in discriminating against someone simply because they're different.
Erinna1112

Post by Erinna1112 »

BabyRider;493525 wrote: Here ya go, Pinkster....how dumb was THIS guy??

He looked at me in a way that showed he was deadly serious. I said, "So...no bikes?" At which point I pulled 700 bucks out of my pocket and said, "I guess I won't be wasting any of THIS here then....SEE YA!" Never set foot in that place again either.

Where did this happen so I can make sure to never darken their door? Unless it's to give this blitheringly moronic waste of oxygen a piece of my mind, that is....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Erinna1112;499197 wrote: Where did this happen so I can make sure to never darken their door? Unless it's to give this blitheringly moronic waste of oxygen a piece of my mind, that is....
That was Club 11, service drive of 696 between Gratiot and Groesbeck, north side.

I found out that Bullet went in there with his leather on and sat down next to Paul. He was asked if he had ridden a scoot and he looked at Paul and said, "I'm here looking for the f***er with the balls to flick the fringe on MY coat. You him?"

Apparently Paul turned white and left the bar.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Return to “Biker Forum”