migraine

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
Carl44

migraine

Post by Carl44 »

my partner is having terrible migraines all the time the doc wants to put her on beta blockers

i need info spot come in spot jimbo needs you
rainbowsmiles

migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Sorry, I know I'm not spot but I wanted to share some info I have in case it can help.

Have you ever tried a can of coke with 2 extra strength tylenol? I know it might sound silly but it truly works and everyone I've shared the info with has had luck with it also. I get migraines (with the aura as well as nausea) - Mine, without treatment, last an entire day and the after affects usually last 48 more hours (can't bend head forward, look down, etc... because the residual pain). I use to use a prescription for it when I was younger but a naturopath doc had me try the coke and tylenol and if you take them as soon as you get the aura or any visual problems (sometimes I lose sight in one eye) then it gets rid of the pain quickly. If you don't take them until the pain has already been established it takes about an hour for it to kick in.

It runs in our family (my uncle use to be hospitalized for his). There is some kind of genetic factor with migraines.
valerie

migraine

Post by valerie »

I would be very, VERY leary of Tylenol and Coke. Hard on the tummy

as well as the liver.

If you DO decide to go this route, EAT SOMETHING. Even a piece of

bread.

As far as my experience goes, you're dead on as far as taking something

at the very first HINT of one coming on. I firmly believe in that.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

cherandbuster

migraine

Post by cherandbuster »

I've read that Imitrex has been used successfully to treat migraine headaches, although I don't know if it goes by a different name in the U.K. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Carl44

migraine

Post by Carl44 »

me and suzy have been late night shopping i lost her and whilst looking for her i see this other guy looking around as well, i said dont tell me you've lost your wife right, he says yes i have i tell you what my wife has blonde hair massive boobs a low cut top a mini skirt up to her ass, a g string and long long legs what does your wife look like i thought for a moment and said dont worry lts ok lets look for yours :wah:
Carl44

migraine

Post by Carl44 »

of course i have posted this on the wrong page

its no wonder she gets head aches living with a moron like me :wah:
YZGI

migraine

Post by YZGI »

jimbo wrote: of course i have posted this on the wrong page

its no wonder she gets head aches living with a moron like me :wah:

I'm with ya jimbo, I always gotta watch and not post my BS on serious threads. :wah:
rainbowsmiles

migraine

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I would be very, VERY leary of Tylenol and Coke. Hard on the tummy

as well as the liver.

Thats true about tylenol. Especially if you get migraines often. I consider myself one of the lucky sufferers because the most I ever got in one year is 3 and that was a long time ago. Migraines are terrible - I feel for anyone who has to go through them. :(
Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

I get migraines at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. But really all too frequently. :(

I used to take Excedrin extra-strength migraine over the counter pills, anything i could find at the pharmacy. But i've stopped those, as if i take 4 or more, I get really bad chest pains from them for some reason. I think it's the caffeine in them, as I dont get the chest pains from the other two ingredients, acetaminophen or aspirin. So lately i just have been taking acetaminophen plus ibuprofen at the same time. And that seems to help better than the excedrin, and also doesn't give me the chest pains.

I have told my doctor about my migraines many times, but all he does is change some of my other prescription strengths, thinking they are the cause. But they never are, and I've been having migraines since before taking the other pills.

So I'm glad the acetaminophen and ibuprofen has been working to an extent now.

Also use this stick I found at the pharmacy called Head-On. It looks like a glue stick. And you just rub it all over your forehead. Sometimes I use that as well. Sometimes none of these things help, but sometimes they do.

My heart goes out to your partner, jimbo.
spot

migraine

Post by spot »

jimbo;414136 wrote: my partner is having terrible migraines all the time the doc wants to put her on beta blockers

i need info spot come in spot jimbo needs you

You want a wild shot in the dark rather than go directly for the heavy-duty medication?

Let's try, who knows, maybe we can have a miracle. There's a sort-of-vitamin which some people have less of than they could do with, which beta-blockers boost, called CoQ10, and you can get it in a bottle without a prescription. You can buy them online at http://www.biovea.net/product_detail.as ... =&Total=11 but maybe your local pharmacy has them as well (you need the 100mg capsules, one a day), I've never used it myself. If she takes those for ten days and ends up with shorter and less painful attacks, and then another week at a time, maybe it's having an effect. It's not going to take long to find out.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Red

migraine

Post by Red »

I suffer migraines a lot and the only thing that works for me is sleep tbh, i take migraleve pink at the first sign of pain followed by yellow ever 4hrs and if i possibly can i sleep.

Ive heard the new imigran tablet is fantastic tought, i think its about £7 for two but well worth it if it works.

Also a good strong head/temple/neck massage really relieves some of the pressure, df always does this for me..and he also uses my orgasmatron which is divine! (brilliant copper head massager)
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

I was put on beta blockers and they (fingers crossed) have done the trick, gone from having 2-3 a week to having 1 in the last 3 months :-6

They normally recomend that migraine sufferers do not have massages as it increases the blood flow, and can raise/lower blood pressure and make migraines worse or bring one on, I never do a massage or Indian Head on a sufferer, makes my insurance invalid :)
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Red

migraine

Post by Red »

SuzyB;545115 wrote: I was put on beta blockers and they (fingers crossed) have done the trick, gone from having 2-3 a week to having 1 in the last 3 months :-6

They normally recomend that migraine sufferers do not have massages as it increases the blood flow, and can raise/lower blood pressure and make migraines worse or bring one on, I never do a massage or Indian Head on a sufferer, makes my insurance invalid :)

oh right,i didnt know that suzy, always eases my pressure slightly though but i spose it doesnt work for everyone
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Red;545117 wrote: oh right,i didnt know that suzy, always eases my pressure slightly though but i spose it doenst work for everyone

If it works for you thats good :-6 I could only ever sleep them off:-5 It didn't matter what tablets i took, but now the beta blockers has worked wonders TG:)

Red

migraine

Post by Red »

Yeh i agree, if mine is a real bad migraine sleep is the only cure...though doing that with a lively 2 yr old is a tad difficult!

Beta blockers are something the dr has never discussed with me tbh, not that i tend to get my docs advice much in general. Are they something you can just buy over the counter? and if so is there a particular kind to get? i did try feverfew to no avail.
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Red;545127 wrote: Yeh i agree, if mine is a real bad migraine sleep is the only cure...though doing that with a lively 2 yr old is a tad difficult!

Beta blockers are something the dr has never discussed with me tbh, not that i tend to get my docs advice much in general. Are they something you can just buy over the counter? and if so is there a particular kind to get? i did try feverfew to no avail.

Apparantly they are used quite a lot to treat migraines, wish they told me that 20 years ago :-5 :-5 You have to go to the GP to get them and I think they are prescribed as a last resut. I just got to the stage where I was in bed all the time, think I was driving Jim mad complaining:D

Elvira

migraine

Post by Elvira »

It's probably stress hon, so the best cure is to try to relax a little bit. Have a nice long steam at the gym or something like that,

Did you have a good night last night?
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Elvira;545138 wrote: It's probably stress hon, so the best cure is to try to relax a little bit. Have a nice long steam at the gym or something like that,

Did you have a good night last night?

I didn't go out, Jenna not well and can't stop thinking about my Mum. Did you have a good time? When's N back?

Red

migraine

Post by Red »

SuzyB;545132 wrote: Apparantly they are used quite a lot to treat migraines, wish they told me that 20 years ago :-5 :-5 You have to go to the GP to get them and I think they are prescribed as a last resut. I just got to the stage where I was in bed all the time, think I was driving Jim mad complaining:D

ah right ill bear that in mind then ta chick and hope there working for you

x
Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

jimbo;414136 wrote: ... the doc wants to put her on beta blockers

jimbo, I haven't read all the comments yet, but I wanted to warn you against beta blockers. They'll take her sex drive away. Completely! Gone! Dead! I know from experience :( Now I'll go read....
Elvira

migraine

Post by Elvira »

SuzyB;545142 wrote: I didn't go out, Jenna not well and can't stop thinking about my Mum. Did you have a good time? When's N back?

oh bless you. I had a good time, but got REALLY drunk. I actually snorted Zambuka, which burned like hell!!!

N is back tomorrow.

S x
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Rain;545148 wrote: jimbo, I haven't read all the comments yet, but I wanted to warn you against beta blockers. They'll take her sex drive away. Completely! Gone! Dead! I know from experience :( Now I'll go read....

:wah: :wah: Thats what they put me on Rain, haven't had that side effect to date, but I shall let you all know if any changes occur;)

Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

It takes a while for them to do that to your body. I've been on one for years.

I saw that Cher mentioned Imitrex. THAT little pill is a miracle drug for migraine sufferers. But it's not for everyone. Please note that this medicine squeezes ALL of the blood vessels in you entire body. So you feel constricted. Your heart, lungs, etc. BUT... your migraine is gone. So.... Weigh your options Carefully!

I've been a migraine sufferer since puberty. I now understand that I am my own worst enemy. The foods I eat, the smells I smell. I have to be VERY careful of these factors.
valerie

migraine

Post by valerie »

Delilah;545050 wrote: I get migraines at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. But really all too frequently. :(

I used to take Excedrin extra-strength migraine over the counter pills, anything i could find at the pharmacy. But i've stopped those, as if i take 4 or more, I get really bad chest pains from them for some reason. I think it's the caffeine in them, as I dont get the chest pains from the other two ingredients, acetaminophen or aspirin. So lately i just have been taking acetaminophen plus ibuprofen at the same time. And that seems to help better than the excedrin, and also doesn't give me the chest pains.

I have told my doctor about my migraines many times, but all he does is change some of my other prescription strengths, thinking they are the cause. But they never are, and I've been having migraines since before taking the other pills.

So I'm glad the acetaminophen and ibuprofen has been working to an extent now.

Also use this stick I found at the pharmacy called Head-On. It looks like a glue stick. And you just rub it all over your forehead. Sometimes I use that as well. Sometimes none of these things help, but sometimes they do.

My heart goes out to your partner, jimbo.

That you take the two of these together is EXTREMELY scary to me,

the toxicity of both of them can be horrendous. Both can raise your

blood pressure and are hard on your liver. I'd seriously reconsider

if I were you.

I don't know your body size but FOUR Extra Strength Excedrin is

too much in one dose, it really is!! And as an aside, regular Extra

Strength Excedrin carries the same formulation as the one marked

"For Migraines". So you can use either if it comes to that.

I'd hike back to a doctor right quick!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Carl44

migraine

Post by Carl44 »

Rain;545148 wrote: jimbo, I haven't read all the comments yet, but I wanted to warn you against beta blockers. They'll take her sex drive away. Completely! Gone! Dead! I know from experience :( Now I'll go read....

cripes i think she must be slipping me a few of those :thinking: :thinking:
Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

I have told my doctor about my migraines many times, but all he does is change some of my other prescription strengths, thinking they are the cause.

Delilah, most Dr's don't know squat about migraines and just throw pills at ppl. I've been around this corner for way too many years. Migraines, REAL migraines, are caused by foods, smells, and environmetal problems. (ie factory smoke, car/air pollution...)

If a person watches what they eat and smells they are around, for the most part they can control them. Other migraines are caused by hormones, blood pressure probs, and even diabetes. A migraine is 99.9% always on 1 side of the head, and can last for 1 or more days. Over the counter aspirin-like pills won't even touch this horrendous pain. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being give me the gun!) I've been at an 11 many times. Imitrex is the only pill that has worked for me. But I have to use it sparingly due to it constricting the blood vessels thoughout my body. It can be scary. But then there are those who Imitrex doesn't work on.

Be careful about Drs. When we've gone in to the hospital for relief, they tend to suspect I'm just looking for drugs, and treat me horribly. Like I said above... for the most part, the medical profession doesn't have a CLUE about migraines. I wish you all a pain free day.

(jimbo... lol)
valerie

migraine

Post by valerie »

Here's a book I found interesting:

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0 ... us#PPP1,M1

This woman tried everything.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

valerie;545164 wrote: That you take the two of these together is EXTREMELY scary to me,

the toxicity of both of them can be horrendous. Both can raise your

blood pressure and are hard on your liver. I'd seriously reconsider

if I were you.

I don't know your body size but FOUR Extra Strength Excedrin is

too much in one dose, it really is!! And as an aside, regular Extra

Strength Excedrin carries the same formulation as the one marked

"For Migraines". So you can use either if it comes to that.

I'd hike back to a doctor right quick!

:-6

Yeah I know, I read an article recently about deaths due to acetaminophen..:lips:

I just saw my doctor two weeks ago and brought up the migraine issue again (probably at least the fourth time I've told him) and once again, all he did was change my estrogen dosage and told me "try that for a month and see if it helps". Even though I have told him that I have been having migraines for about 6 years, way before I was on the estrogen. Ugh! My Rheumatologist is sending me to a Chronic Pain clinic so they can help figure out the best route for pain relief for my Arthritis and other afflictions, because I have more than one chronic pain matter, she thought they would be able to help figure out better what drugs/injections to provide for all the many different dibilitating issues I have. So when I go I will bring up the migraine issue with them as well, seeing as how my GP seems relatively clueless. :-3

As it stands right now, I take about 200 pills of 500mg acetaminophen a month as well as about 100 pills of ibuprofen a month as well. And than before I was adding in the Excedrin on top of those and yuck..haha..I had to go for liver and kidney function blood tests about every 3 months.
Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

Rain;545170 wrote: I have told my doctor about my migraines many times, but all he does is change some of my other prescription strengths, thinking they are the cause.

Delilah, most Dr's don't know squat about migraines and just throw pills at ppl. I've been around this corner for way too many years. Migraines, REAL migraines, are caused by foods, smells, and environmetal problems. (ie factory smoke, car/air pollution...)

If a person watches what they eat and smells they are around, for the most part they can control them. Other migraines are caused by hormones, blood pressure probs, and even diabetes. A migraine is 99.9% always on 1 side of the head, and can last for 1 or more days. Over the counter aspirin-like pills won't even touch this horrendous pain. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being give me the gun!) I've been at an 11 many times. Imitrex is the only pill that has worked for me. But I have to use it sparingly due to it constricting the blood vessels thoughout my body. It can be scary. But then there are those who Imitrex doesn't work on.

Be careful about Drs. When we've gone in to the hospital for relief, they tend to suspect I'm just looking for drugs, and treat me horribly. Like I said above... for the most part, the medical profession doesn't have a CLUE about migraines. I wish you all a pain free day.

(jimbo... lol)

The bold statement above I absolutey agree with, except more than just on migraines..they usually know squat about a great deal of problems..haha. My former GP when i told him about my migraines, told me I got them because of my other illnesses at the time, and "once we got those fixed" than the migraines would disappear with them. Well that was 4 years ago and surprise! Nope, still with me. :-2

I have been to the hospital for relief for migraines as well. Sometimes they get so bad..and I will be vomitting consistently for hours..and when I haven't eaten..I will start throwing up bile, (tastes really really gross too) and than when I have no more of that, I would eventually start throwing up blood and than I would go to the ER. Everytime I threw up, it made the migraine worse and worse as well. Wanted to just chop my head off with a kitchen knife sometimes they get so terrible.

My hormones are not what they should be...so granted, the doctor might have had reason to suspect that was the issue. (I had a complete hysterectomy nearly 3 years ago, and being that I was only 22 at the time and spun into menopause about 30 years too early..no doubt didn't help matters) And I do have type 2 Diabetes as well. So I can see why at first he would think of altering the estrogen dosage, but he has done that a few times now and no change, so you'd think he'd realise that it isn't working.

I will ask the pain clinic about what they think about the migraines, and failing that, will go ask GP about Imitrex. When you say it constricts other organs, etc...is that a painful process? But it's sort of like chosing which you think is more bothersome or worse..the constriction or the migraine?

You're right about smells. Chemical smells especially bother me. My roomate bought a poker-table-top last year and put it in our basement where our computers were. I was on the computer that night and noticed this insanely strong chemical smell, but he had no idea what I was talking about as he couldn't even smell it. After a few hours, I had to leave the room entirely, because it was just incredibly strong and giving me a migraine. A few days later I was sick of not being able to go into my own basement, so roomie and I did a complete house search for the smell, and found out it was a glue they used on the table-top to hold the felt on, so we moved the poker table to a friends house, but that was the first time I really noticed how sensitive smells are to me and can trigger my migraines. It seems to only be the chemical ones mostly though.

(sorry for the insanely long post..haha)
Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

Oh, I'm SO sorry you are going thru this. I didn't know you were so young! Oh Honey! My heart goes oout to you. It took till I was in my early 40's to "Get It". I hope it won't take you that long.

There's tons I'd like to talk to you about. I'll try and not move too fast. If you prefer to talk on PM's that's fine too.

I may have misled you by saying the Imitrex affects the organs. I shouldn't have said that! What I meant was that Imitrex constricts ALL the blood vessels in the body. Not Just the vessels that have expanded to cause the migraine. Therefore, it can feel like an elephant sitting on your chest. This does NOT happen to everyone, though I have spoken with other's who have had this sensation.

I'd like to talk about meds a little. I was given Fiorinal w/Codeine for years! I kept wondering why I continually had headaches. Well when I smartened up, I looked up the side effects. Fiorinal... Headaches! I could have KILLED my Dr.!!!! :mad: Check your prescriptions side affects. If ANY of them cause headaches (and most of them do!) have your Dr. WORK for his money and find something else for you!

My Dr. suggested Imitrex. I took the shots for about a year, but that was just too stressful for me. I take a 50mg pill now at the onset of a bad one and it's the only thing that helps. But I have to decide... is this going to be a 10? or only maybe a 7? If I think it'll be a smaller pain, I'll just take a 5 mg valium to take the edge off. I do NOT abuse the Imitrex. Not only do they affect me like I stated above, but they're $$$$!

As for hormones, I too had a complete hysterectomy in 1999. But I only take 1/2 of a 1 mg estrodiol per day.

As for Diabetes... that has a HUGE affect on migraines. Get your sugars under control (NO coke! or pop of any kind! as well as juices. They're loaded with sugar) I'm willing to wager that if you get the diabetes under control, your migraines will drastically reduce.

And, watch what you eat and smell. After my surgery, everyone said Drink/Take Soy. So I went and bought some soy milk. Next day... Migraine! So I drank my soy milk like ppll told me too, the next day... Migraine again! My husband and I were like... what am I doing differently? SOY! I found I was allergic to soy! So that's when we became label readers. I found that soy is in 99% of all the stuff we were buying at the store. So, I started to cook by scratch. Trial and error. I was 43 and I'd finally figured myself out. I was my own worst enemy. So, keep track of what you eat. It really isn't hard, just write down what you eat. Then you may start to see a pattern.

I wish you the best and if I can be of anymore help, let me know.
Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

Rain;549346 wrote: Oh, I'm SO sorry you are going thru this. I didn't know you were so young! Oh Honey! My heart goes oout to you. It took till I was in my early 40's to "Get It". I hope it won't take you that long.

There's tons I'd like to talk to you about. I'll try and not move too fast. If you prefer to talk on PM's that's fine too.

I may have misled you by saying the Imitrex affects the organs. I shouldn't have said that! What I meant was that Imitrex constricts ALL the blood vessels in the body. Not Just the vessels that have expanded to cause the migraine. Therefore, it can feel like an elephant sitting on your chest. This does NOT happen to everyone, though I have spoken with other's who have had this sensation.

I'd like to talk about meds a little. I was given Fiorinal w/Codeine for years! I kept wondering why I continually had headaches. Well when I smartened up, I looked up the side effects. Fiorinal... Headaches! I could have KILLED my Dr.!!!! Check your prescriptions side affects. If ANY of them cause headaches (and most of them do!) have your Dr. WORK for his money and find something else for you!

My Dr. suggested Imitrex. I took the shots for about a year, but that was just too stressful for me. I take a 50mg pill now at the onset of a bad one and it's the only thing that helps. But I have to decide... is this going to be a 10? or only maybe a 7? If I think it'll be a smaller pain, I'll just take a 5 mg valium to take the edge off. I do NOT abuse the Imitrex. Not only do they affect me like I stated above, but they're $$$$!

As for hormones, I too had a complete hysterectomy in 1999. But I only take 1/2 of a 1 mg estrodiol per day.

As for Diabetes... that has a HUGE affect on migraines. Get your sugars under control (NO coke! or pop of any kind! as well as juices. They're loaded with sugar) I'm willing to wager that if you get the diabetes under control, your migraines will drastically reduce.

And, watch what you eat and smell. After my surgery, everyone said Drink/Take Soy. So I went and bought some soy milk. Next day... Migraine! So I drank my soy milk like ppll told me too, the next day... Migraine again! My husband and I were like... what am I doing differently? SOY! I found I was allergic to soy! So that's when we became label readers. I found that soy is in 99% of all the stuff we were buying at the store. So, I started to cook by scratch. Trial and error. I was 43 and I'd finally figured myself out. I was my own worst enemy. So, keep track of what you eat. It really isn't hard, just write down what you eat. Then you may start to see a pattern.

I wish you the best and if I can be of anymore help, let me know.

Thank you for your empathy, Rain.

Unfortunately, migraines, seem to be near the bottom of the list of health issues I have had that have caused pain, as I have had an abnormally large number of problems over my short years. :wah:

Thank you for explaining the Imitrex to me a bit more. I will ask about possibly trying it when I go for my Pain Clinic consult, as I hadn't even heard of it before. In honesty, I am willing to try anything really. :lips: The possibility of getting the chest pains as a side effect isn't something that would deter me, really. I have been taking those Excedrin for years, and when I do I get fairly intense chest pains from those. So a lot of the time, I had to do what you said..rate your migraine..is it bad enough for this..or should I just use the other..that's definitely something I can relate to.

My diabetes is under control with the use of medication. I have had normal sugars for about 4 years on Metformin, taking about 2000mg a day. (Sometimes it still drops or spikes, if I'm bad and either dont eat for a day or so..or go nuts with chocolate, but they are different kinds of headaches I get when that happens, not the same as the migraines)

As for writing down, taking notice what you eat, etc. I have tried this, as I have been on an exercise, diety thing over the past few months and I have been writing down everything I eat, and the exercise I do each day. So when a migraine hit I would go and look at what I had eaten, and there was no common denominator there. Also, I don't drink pop. I stopped drinking that years ago after I was diagnosed with the diabetes. I am a water drinker now.

I'm on a low dose now for my estrogen as well, 0.625mg tablet a day. (Premarin)

He told me to try that for a month and go back and see him and maybe we'd change the script again. I can't help but wonder if all the bouncing around with the different doses isn't only not helping, but making it worse?

Sometimes the only thing that can help with the migraines is sleep, like others here have said. But than at other times, even that doesn't help and when I wake up it's still there waiting for me. They last from anywhere between a few hours, to a few days. I personally prefer the few hour versions. :wah: But compared with the arthritis and abdominal adhesions, I don't know..sometimes I try and wonder which is worse...the only answer I come up with, is having two or all three bother me on the same day....yikes..those are the days when you really want to try self-surgery on your kitchen counter. :(
Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

The Imitrex is mostly just a pressure. A heaviness. Not a stabbing sharp pain.

OH I see you excercise too. Good. But... I've heard that excercise can actually GIVE you a migraine. Bummer huh. Dateline did a story a few years back about that. Interesting.

As far as your estrogen, ask your Dr. for estrodiol. It's a plant hormone rather than Pregnant Mare Urine (hence the name Pre-mar-in) Those horses are known to live in horrendous situations. Ppl have boycotted premarin due to that fact. I was one of them. Plus, I much prefer a natural hormone from plants. Just a thought.

SO glad you aren't drinking pop or juices. I too only drink water. Glad too your sugars are under control. Don't forget... chocolate is a migraine trigger food. Bummer! I know :rolleyes: I love chocolate too.
Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

Rain;552494 wrote: The Imitrex is mostly just a pressure. A heaviness. Not a stabbing sharp pain.

OH I see you excercise too. Good. But... I've heard that excercise can actually GIVE you a migraine. Bummer huh. Dateline did a story a few years back about that. Interesting.

As far as your estrogen, ask your Dr. for estrodiol. It's a plant hormone rather than Pregnant Mare Urine (hence the name Pre-mar-in) Those horses are known to live in horrendous situations. Ppl have boycotted premarin due to that fact. I was one of them. Plus, I much prefer a natural hormone from plants. Just a thought.

SO glad you aren't drinking pop or juices. I too only drink water. Glad too your sugars are under control. Don't forget... chocolate is a migraine trigger food. Bummer! I know :rolleyes: I love chocolate too.

Really? Wow, didn't realise exercise could be a trigger too.

OMG @ the horse pee. Ewww, seriously? I didn't know that. Gross! And especially awful if the horses are treated poorly. I'll definitely be telling him that. I don't want to be on horse urine. :-3

Oh I know, chocolate is hard not to love. :-4
crazygal

migraine

Post by crazygal »

My dad gets them really bad. Bananas, chocolate and all Alcohol, other than Raki (Pernod) give him them.
Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

Yes. Premarin is just that! Pregnant Horse Urine. They keep the pregnant mares in stalls throughout the pregnancy to catch all the urine in order to make the hormone for us human gals. The news magazines even did reports on this years back. I went to my Dr. and told him I wanted estradiol! No prob. Thank God he wasn't one of those Dr's who wanted to argue. I'd've switched Dr's!

CG, my son in law gets migraines too. He's just been prescribed imitrex too. Sorry for your dad. I found out a few years back that I can't drink beer anymore. Not even 1! Sometimes I just want a beer on a hot day ya know. Nope!
crazygal

migraine

Post by crazygal »

Rain;552950 wrote: Yes. Premarin is just that! Pregnant Horse Urine. They keep the pregnant mares in stalls throughout the pregnancy to catch all the urine in order to make the hormone for us human gals. The news magazines even did reports on this years back. I went to my Dr. and told him I wanted estradiol! No prob. Thank God he wasn't one of those Dr's who wanted to argue. I'd've switched Dr's!

CG, my son in law gets migraines too. He's just been prescribed imitrex too. Sorry for your dad. I found out a few years back that I can't drink beer anymore. Not even 1! Sometimes I just want a beer on a hot day ya know. Nope!

Thanks, he doesn't get them as much the past few years since he hit 60 so hopefully they will die out, his mum has the same.

I think I've only have had one, OMG I thought my head would explode with the pain. Nothing at all like a headache are they.
Rain

migraine

Post by Rain »

No they're not. There've been times when I thought rubbing a knife into my head would take the pain away. I've also become a "head banger". It's where you bump your head into the wall repeatedly. It takes the pain away until you stop. See this guy -> :-5 that's me.

As for the excercise, I didn't mean to imply that a person shouldn't do it, just that it's been found that exertion leads to migraines in Certain ppl. 20/20 (or something) did a report years back on a young man who got migraines in a matter of 'x' amount of minutes after he played basketball or did some type of excercise. The cameras were running while he played the game, then he had to run to the MRI place in time for them to catch the migraine coming on. They got it all on the scan. It was VERY interesting actually watching a migraine form and noticing the differences to a regular headache. Poor guy had to suffer for it, but... all in the name of science huh?
Tater Tazz

migraine

Post by Tater Tazz »

suzy, I hope you are feeling better!
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Thanks TT, I've been really good since I started taking Beta blockers, haven't had a migraine for about three months now, touch wood they've cured me.:-6

Rain you are correct about the exercise, it can cause the onset of a migraine for suffers that have Blood pressure related Migraines, as the exercise increases the blood pressure, making the blood pump around the body much harder and faster, so for anyone who finds this they usually recommend an exercise like yoga or swimming, something a little more less strenuous :-6

crazygal

migraine

Post by crazygal »

SuzyB;553418 wrote: Thanks TT, I've been really good since I started taking Beta blockers, haven't had a migraine for about three months now, touch wood they've cured me.:-6

Rain you are correct about the exercise, it can cause the onset of a migraine for suffers that have Blood pressure related Migraines, as the exercise increases the blood pressure, making the blood pump around the body much harder and faster, so for anyone who finds this they usually recommend an exercise like yoga or swimming, something a little more less strenuous :-6

Oh, my dad did aerobics 5-6 times a week, he doesn't now and has no migraines. :-3
Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

Well I went to the pain clinic..

She's sending me to a neurologist now for the migraines. Good lord, is it really that difficult to write a frickin prescription out? :-5
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Delilah;567666 wrote: Well I went to the pain clinic..

She's sending me to a neurologist now for the migraines. Good lord, is it really that difficult to write a frickin prescription out? :-5

TBH it's probably the best thing, they will have more experience of what prescribtions work best. :-6

Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

SuzyB;567670 wrote: TBH it's probably the best thing, they will have more experience of what prescribtions work best. :-6

Ohh, okay..thank you Suzy! :D

Has anyone ever heard of being put on an anti-convulsant pill used to treat seizures in people with epilepsy...as a pain medication..!? I thought it was pretty bizarre she has put me on that..I don't get seizures or convulstions and certainly don't have epilepsy. It doesn't seem to be helping anything either.
SuzyB

migraine

Post by SuzyB »

Delilah;574344 wrote: Ohh, okay..thank you Suzy! :D

Has anyone ever heard of being put on an anti-convulsant pill used to treat seizures in people with epilepsy...as a pain medication..!? I thought it was pretty bizarre she has put me on that..I don't get seizures or convulstions and certainly don't have epilepsy. It doesn't seem to be helping anything either.

Thats what i'm on, it's one of the triptyline drugs, can't remember the name, but it works :-4

Delilah

migraine

Post by Delilah »

SuzyB;574659 wrote: Thats what i'm on, it's one of the triptyline drugs, can't remember the name, but it works :-4

Nortriptyline? I tried that one last year...it didn't work for me. Glad it's helping you! :-6

Return to “Women's Health”