Windows XP users - please read this thread!

Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Dear FG community:

During the course of my job I have seen many computers brought in for virii, spyware, trojans and the like. I have noticed a disturbing trend recently wherein users are attempting to clean their systems of these by using the Software Restore function of Windows XP (also Windows ME). Bear in mind that this likely Will NOT clean these from your system. Most virii, trojans and new 'smart' forms of spyware place themselves within the archives of system restore files. This way, when you restore your system, the malicious programs can reinstall themselves and continue to infect your computer. Therefore, if your computer is infected, do not use software restore.

The best defense against such programs is to install a combination of antivirus and firewall software.

You can find a good free antivirus at: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

and a good free firewall at: http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

If you are currently infected with malicious programs then the best thing to do is to reinstall your operating system and start from scratch. Once virii and trojans have done damage to your system, it is generally irreparable. Yes, you can run cleaners to remove them from your system, but the damage is already done.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I hope you have a fun and safe computing experience!

-FH
Peg

Post by Peg »

Thanks for the helpful information. I can't believe how many people I've talked to that have no anti virus whatsoever. I'm also a big believer in anti spyware and run it daily.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Peg wrote: I'm also a big believer in anti spyware and run it daily.

Adaware?
Peg

Post by Peg »

Ad-aware by lavasoft. It's free.
Paula

Post by Paula »

i have some-one come in a work on my computers, i have little knowledge and would rather be chating verses repairing anything. But here in the garden, there are intelligent people like yourself, we can ask questions?
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Ask away. I might as well put my knowledge to good use! (Though ask your questions in separate threads, please!)

-FH
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:-5 Trojon, Viruses, spyware, malware, dialer, hackers, and tracker they are are out there to invade your PC every minute of the day, they will slam your PC big time, and bring it to a grinding halt, you may not even be able to access the internet, as they clog your system..!!

YES FIREHAWKE IS CORRECT..!! WINDOW XP IS FULL OF VERY LARGE SECURITY HOLES, YOU COULD DRIVE A TRUCK THROUGH THEM..!! EVEN AFTER SERVICE PAC 2, WHICH WAS MICROSOFTS ATTEMPT TO PLUG UP THE HOLES.. !! MARGINALLY SUCESSFUL, IF AT ALL..!!

HERE ARE A FEW THAT WE USE AT WORK, AND I USE AT HOME AS WELL.

NORTON ANTIVIRUS, ANY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE WILL WORK JUST USE IT AND KEEP IT UPDATED.. NO POINT IN HAVING IT IF YOU DON'T RUN THE UPDATES ON A REGULAR BASIS..AT LEAST 4 TIMES A WEEK CHECK FOR UPDATES.. ;)

Also set up the email blocker within your ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE..I don't really care for email spam blockers, they are more trouble then theu are worth.. Just use your head, and don't open E-MAIL from places, or people you don't know..!! If you have to think about who sent it.. or why you got the email.. then you should DELETE, DELETE, DELETE..

ZONEALARM (FIREWALL) FREE

ADAWARE 6.0 FREE

POPUP STOPPER SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE, AND FREE..

SPYBOT FREE

SPYBLASTER FREE

START UP INSPECTOR FOR WINDOWS This is one of my favorites, it actually remove them from your start up programs. (not for beginners to use). FREE.!!

REGISTRY MECHANIC.. ALSO ANOTHER FAVORITE OF MINE. NOT FREE IF YOU WANT THE FULL VERSION..

I have spent many hours at work, and moonlighting after hours, preforming exorcism on COMPUTERS, GETTING PAID GOOD MONEY TO BRING COMPUTERS BACK TO LIFE, and get them back in running order. I have found all the above excellent tools to protect your computer, and keep it at maxium performance. Most user are unaware of these PC killers.!! They are very happy when their PC is running again..!! ;)

Remember to CLEAR YOUR COOKIES, TEMP FILES, HISTORY ON A REGULAR BASIS.. I KEEP NOTHING.. EVER..!! ALSO MAKE IT A PRACTICE TO RUN DISK CLEAN UP, AND DEFRAG ON A MONTHLY BASIS AT LEAST, OR MORE..!!

It's OK to have INSTANT MESSENGER PROGRAMS, JUST DON'T GET ALL THE ADDONS. THEY ARE WANT KILLS YOU.. YOU DON'T NEED THE TOOLBAR, WEATHER BUG, ETC.. JUST HACKER, AND TRACKER THAT WILL KILL YOUR PC..

Keep the kids away from the GAME SITES, OR CHAT SITES...THEY ARE FULL OF TRACKERS, AND HACKERS.. THEY JAM UP YOUR SYSTEM BIG TIME, AND BRING IT TO A GRINDING HALT...!! Be aware of the CD's your install on your PC, especially if its a game, they are loaded with trackers..!!

TOOLBAR SITE ARE BAD AS WELL..IE: HOTBAR, MSN, MYWEBSERCH... YOUR BEST NOT TO USE THEM UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW HOW TO SET THEM UP PROPERLY..!! YOU WILL BE FLOODED WITH JUNK.. !! :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for the advice, guyz.

I have Windows XP with Norton Anti-Virus, Adware Filter, Error Nuker 2004, and CW Shredder. I use these programs regularly. I also do not open any unfamiliar or questionable e-mails.

Can't be too careful. :-6
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
RedSoxFan

Post by RedSoxFan »

Hawke wrote: Ask away. I might as well put my knowledge to good use! (Though ask your questions in separate threads, please!)

-FH

If you didnt want to save anything on your computer, couldnt you just do a low level format a few times and wipe it all out?

Even if you wanted to save stuff, save it on a disk and load it back after the LLF.
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
Jives

Post by Jives »

Yikes! (jives holds his hands over his ears) Stop shouting, Carla! lol!

Here's another solution....never hook your gaming computer to the internet!

I have a laptop that I use exclusively for gaming, word processing, writing and art at home and I only get online at school. We have massive firewalls and filters, and besides....nobody writes viruses for Macs!!! :D
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Question for Hawke and other computer experts? Is Norton Anti-Virus and other PC Security really any use against virus ect?
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

capt_buzzard wrote: Question for Hawke and other computer experts? Is Norton Anti-Virus and other PC Security really any use against virus ect?

Yes, they most certainly are. Granted, no product is perfect at catching all viruses/trojans that are floating around the internet, but a subscription to a good antivirus service such as Symantec (Norton) is desirable and I would claim a necessity. Remember, an unprotected computer on a broadband internet connection can be hijacked by malicious programs and used as a spamming source in as little as 4 minutes.

The best protection for your computer is to not be connected to the internet. Since this is obviously not an ideal solution, I recommend a mix of protection consisting of antivirus (Symantec (Norton), McAfee, AVG), a good firewall (Windows XP has a built in firewall, otherwise look into Outpost, Norton Personal Firewall, Kerio) and a spyware detecter/blocker (such as the Windows Antispyware Beta, Spybot or Ad-Aware).

Don't neglect to update your computer. Critical updates and patches should be downloaded as soon as possible from Microsoft, lest you fall prey to some weakness in Windows Security.

As for myself, I run Windows XP SP2 (with all the latest patches and updates), Symantec Antivirus, Spybot AND the Microsoft Antispyware Beta.

Hope this helps.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Hawke wrote: Yes, they most certainly are. Granted, no product is perfect at catching all viruses/trojans that are floating around the internet, but a subscription to a good antivirus service such as Symantec (Norton) is desirable and I would claim a necessity. Remember, an unprotected computer on a broadband internet connection can be hijacked by malicious programs and used as a spamming source in as little as 4 minutes.

The best protection for your computer is to not be connected to the internet. Since this is obviously not an ideal solution, I recommend a mix of protection consisting of antivirus (Symantec (Norton), McAfee, AVG), a good firewall (Windows XP has a built in firewall, otherwise look into Outpost, Norton Personal Firewall, Kerio) and a spyware detecter/blocker (such as the Windows Antispyware Beta, Spybot or Ad-Aware).

Don't neglect to update your computer. Critical updates and patches should be downloaded as soon as possible from Microsoft, lest you fall prey to some weakness in Windows Security.

As for myself, I run Windows XP SP2 (with all the latest patches and updates), Symantec Antivirus, Spybot AND the Microsoft Antispyware Beta.

Hope this helps.OK thanks.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

In addition to all this, Microsoft spyware is in my list of stuff to clean up the ol computer with. I think its fairly new and you can get it for free from the Microsoft website. My computer tech guy installed it the last time he was here and it is set to run a scan every morning before I get up.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Yes, it's free. Yes, it's new. But it's also Beta software, so it tends to be a little buggy at times. Still, it's a great product.
Jives

Post by Jives »

I had a problem with a new video device. The software crashed my system but good. The system restore worked fine on that one, though.

But of course it's not virus based.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Tell you guys what. As soon as I have the time to sit down and compose it, I'll post a good long thread all about computer security and how to protect yourselves against the 'dark underbelly' of the Internet. Hopefully we can nip some problems in the bud before they turn around to bite you :)
daBunnyWendy7

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

Thanks for the good string.I am newbie,Wendy.Hi! I use a mix as an ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure! I appreciate all your reccommendations,Capt B, Hawke,Along4 t ride,Carla & Peg1 Hope I didn't miss anyone! Stay safe everyone LOL good grief some people just need more to do,too much time on their hands?Thanks , Again!:D
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!

Return to “Computers Internet”